London's congestion charge: Where are the busses??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Asami

Fire
no idea but sounds like a problem yea, in belgium they are still looking for ways to improve our already ok public transportation system

Fitch
we don't have problems that big....yet.but it's nasty..

Fire
sounds like fun fitch

Ushgarak
Yeah, that's the theory, Asami, but we all know in practice our public transport system needs HUGE work- I think we are talking decades here.

Asami
For now I can only moan here. The system is really crappy!!

In the mornings, 8am I wait for the bus. Non of the busses I need come alone (of 8 choices, only one goes to my destination).
But what do I see??? In 20mins, 3 drivers under construction. I wonder how long it takes to pass the test to become a bus driver because I've been seeing learner drivers since last semester started. ARGH.

Corran
buses.

Darth_Midal
I've heard it had gotten bad since i left in '95 but I didn't realize how bad

mechmoggy
Eeeuuuuw, public transport. sick

Darth_Midal
I agree although it is more expensive sometimes with the maintenance and what not but I'd rather drive everywhere

Asami
Cheers!

Jamief90
I heard a news report a while back that said, projected revenue from the first year of running the congestion charge scheme had fallen short of targets leaving a shortfall for the second years running costs. Seems to me that the intention wasn't to reduce congestion but generate revenue.

Same with the speed cameras, the fact that year after year, revenue generated by speed traps goes up (i.e. more people speeding) but the number of deaths on the road asn't changed. Whats that say about the whole affair!

Darth_Midal
That it's a waste of your money. Everything we do these days profits the Government of the respective country we reside in for example Smoking is a pleasure enjoyed by many but now every government in the world is Taxing the living Crap out of them making it impossible to buy them it's not right. evil face smokin'

Ushgarak
Road deaths are going up because of the increase in traffic! Road deaths in the areas where there are a lot of speed cameras are indeed decreasing in many cases.

I have no objection to the Government collecting fines when people are doing something illegal. Don't want to pay? Don't break the darn law! The money isn;t going directly into their pockets, you know. it is all, eventually, going back into the country.

Darth_Midal
I'm not disagreeing with you but here in canada we have not got any Speed camera's and the police manage to catch enough speeders. All I'm saying is that there is no need for Camera's when all it takes is for the police to do there jobs. evil face smokin'

Corran
Welsome.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.