Will there ever be a free game?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Ryugen
Now lets make one thing clear, I'm not asking if there'll ever be a game that costs nothing, I'm asking if there could be a game with no boundries. Where the plot was what you decided it would be, where you could be or do anything you wanted. A game where you didn't have to be the hero or villan, where you could be what you wanted to be and do what you wanted to do? Could such a game exist? Would you want it to exist at all?

SaTsuJiN
technology doesnt allow that at the current time, and yes a game can probably exist.. Im leaning more towards matrix, where CGI would get data-fed directly to the brain and interact with nervous system for feeling and emotions and also to interact with your motor skills and whatever else is require for immersion.

another question to pose is.. if you could be what you wanted (which would most likely be god-like) and if you invited someone into your session.. could they defeat you? or would it be fair if they couldnt?

we need boundaries to achieve balance.. if there is no balance or goal, then it is no longer a game

dark1365
You ever play GunBound?

SaTsuJiN
that has nothing to do with the subject. make a gunbound thread or refurbish an existing gunbound thread

RaventheOnly
Its called Morrowind stick out tongue

eleveninches
yeah, morrowind was very much like that, although I tended to steal a lot of equipment big grinbig grinbig grin

The problem with that game was that the frame rate was far too slow on my PC.

DiViNe diFiNIty
i have never played the morrowind but i have herd alot of up comments of it

eleveninches
it was a good game, but the frame rate was so slow, it seemed as though it got stuck quite often. And the computer that I played it on was top-of the range at the time, it was a brand new PC

SaTsuJiN
I think elderscrolls IV : Oblivion will come fairly close.. but theres always a driving element that controls how you play the game, which doesnt fall under this category

uQifg2WV
Yeah Morrowind. I beat it. But they make it so even with out cheating you can make your character over powered easily. I'm 36th level and didn't train or cheat once. I loved being a werewolf.

Magee
Sounds cool. Can u buy it in shops or do u have to dl it?

Lord Ryugen
I haven't played Morrowind so I'll take a look. But in response to a comment by Satsujin, I didn't mean you become a god what I meant was this. At the start of the game you make a character and I mean MAKE. Not choose from some pre-programed bodies but build your personal character from the ground up. Then you go to a world and live. If you want to be a dictator raise an army and take over the world then so be it. If you want to be a hobo and beg so be it. If you want to have a normal life, get a job, get married, have 2.5 children, retire then die you can. Learn the occult, become a wandering preacher, become a scientist. A game where you lived as you wanted to live, be who you wanted to be. A game you couldn't win because there was nothing to win in the first place. I know technology can't do it now but in the future could it be possible and would you want it to be? Would this become a substitute for real life?

SaTsuJiN
Oh sure, definately. People dont wanna leave thier house as is.. look at how much delivery services there are in the world.. food delivery, laundry delivery, grocery (which includes hygenic products) delivery.

All of these would facilitate not having to leave your home and allow this kind of technology to blossom. Basically you're talking about a matrix like life where you just become a normal person but live how you wanted to? nothing fantasy at all? (like superhuman powers etc.) or maybe even a fantasy world for that matter.

Magee
Well rite now i think the only thing that comes close is GTA: San Andreas. Huge however it is i guess its not like u want i mean u have to be a sucky up gangster but u do determine a lot of things in the game. Theres probably huge MMORPG's out there, sum of wich people have mentioned but it will be a long time before theres a game where u can do anything u want, i'd lean more towards a VR world.

dark1365
No, it was a rhetorical question, because it's a free game, and it's pretty damn addictive.

eleveninches
apparently, you can now download the first eldar scrolls (arena) for free. I think it's from the official site, but i'm not sure

JKozzy
America's Army is a free game, a damn good one too. FPS made by our government and distributed as a "recruitment tool"... but I just see it as saving $50 stick out tongue

http://americasarmy.com/

EDIT: Link to the full 733 MB Installer hosted on Filefront... go now, there's no wait on any of the servers stick out tongue

http://files.filefront.com/Americas_Army_SF_v22_Vanguard_Full_Install/;3668868;;/fileinfo.html

ZomBiE_HunTER
You didnt read the beginning of this thread did you?

JKozzy
Nope. smile

Darth Surgent
If the army had made a Mac version of their game, I would've joined. Now they get nothing. stick out tongue

JKozzy
They do, just click back a few screens. They have one for Linux, too.

JKozzy
MAC VERSION:

http://files.filefront.com/SEARCH/;2129023;;/fileinfo.html

There you go, Darth Surgent smile stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.