They dont want us Brits to be in the movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Quite sad really Americans are not to happy the a Brit is going to be Batman.

Very sad i thaught America was like a melting pot where people form other countires can come and enjoy sad

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040309f.php

Gregory
Well, Batman is an American, and the series is set in America. I don't think people are upset over this because they don't like the British or something; it's just that they don't want to see their hero messed around with.

I don't care, myself, as long as this Batman is better acted than the last one.

ash007
i dont think they will i mean come on whats the problem

hes a good actor who want to play Batman and some people are just being 'racist'

kal-el
Well the only prob would be if Bale couldn't do an American accent, but he actually does a flawless one.It's bullshit. British actors are the best in the world.Everyone knows this, including most Hollywood directors these days.

kalantiaw
wasn't christian bale american psycho? i never heard no american complaining about a brit playing an american psycho... did you guys?

a good actor is a good actor, period.

Gregory
Well, I've never heard people complaining about him playing Batman, either.

Just read one sight that says some people don't like it.

steely balls
very true british actors have more talent then most americans

The Batman
Bullshit. You'd better drop this moronic, pretentious, nationalistic posturing before every dimwit who's completed 5th grade starts in with the Revolutionary War and WWII. Your view is completely subjective and it reeks of an English stereotype I think you'd rather not promote.

I thought Christian Bale did a fine American accent in "American Psycho" and "Shaft," and I didn't know his nationality when I saw those movies. If he can keep it up all the way through the Batman film and act the part of the Batman well, that'll be good enough for me.

Gregory
I agree with you in principle, Batman, but I assumed steely balls was American? He lives in the US.

The Batman
Then he's a damn, dirty traitor! wink

Whatever. I just hate hearing about how the English are better than anything artistically than Americans.
It's simply a matter of taste. My girlfriend watched the Forsythe (sp?) Saga on Masterpiece Theater recently, and I can't stand that crap. I love Ren & Stimpy (the classics, not the new, witless crap they made) and violent images, of which she is not a fan. We all gots our itches to scratch, and it isn't a whole nationality that can scratch anyone's particular itch, it's individuals.

badkittykitty
well heres one american that insanly happy about bale being batman..I think he will be the best one yet!

Gregory
Exactly. As I've said, I've never heard this complaint. I'm sure it's been made, but given how many Americans there are, you'll find some who'll oppose anything. That doesn't prove anything about Americans in general.

ash007
hey i think Bale will be a fin Batman

and trust me us Brits arnt that great

we actually love Americans

well i do anyway

kal-el
You're right about not getting nationalistic. I agree totally. I didn't mean to sound that way if I did.After all, America gave birth to THEE GREATEST art form - superhero comicbooks. When I said we have the best actors I was overstating it , but I was mainly pointing out the fact that loads of Brits are making Hollwood do-well films these days.

Revolutionary War - yep, you might win that debate a bit. Erm-ALOT that is!

WW2-Don't even think about it my friend. Dont' even entertain the thought of mentioning it again in that 'we saved your ass' manner coz it will all kick off and this isn't that kind of Website. I emplore you to agree with me on that and stick to the topic at hand.Please smokin'

steely balls
Ha Ha you suck, not trying to say that they rule us all in acting, I prefer British actors then any thing else. Half the actors today in the U.S. are bullshit but, not all. Damn calm the hell down. And you didn't make any point, any way i take back what i said. not because of you guys because what i said didn't make any sense.
EDIT

The Batman
Stupid computer. I thought my last post came through. Well, if it didn't, here's the recap.

Kal, I wasn't ragging on your post. You know you're my English, billy-club wielding, Nightwing-wannabe hero. The questionably named and emotionally imbalanced "steely balls" ticked me off and I had my own moment of emotional disturbance.
I certainly wasn't starting up with the WWII nonsense. I was warning steely that if he kept that nonsense up, idiots who insist on dwelling on patriotic misinformation and old grudges might start up. I couldn't care less about past wars. I'm with you that there's no place here for that noise.

steely balls
you better stop that jive, what do you mean grudges, everything i said i said half jokingly. And patriotic to country i don't live in Britain. you better get your facts straight, U.S. born and proud. and you better read my last post cause i said i take it back because you took it seriously. believe me i wasn't expecting anybody to get worked over it, remember i was half joking, i know the truth.

love ya

The Batman
Yeah, I guess I'd better do just that.

Damn, you need to "just say no" next time someone offers you a chemically-based good time. You're all over the damn place with your own jive. Ya jive turkey, ya.

steely balls
i know i'm all over the place but thats just the way steely balls works, i never give hardcore real facts, well partially because this is more of a opinionated thread. But i have no need when i can't be an arrogant self centered bastard( i used big words)e it's good time. GO SCHOOL! Now back to topic. i don't care if their is a brit in the movie as long as they put on a good show.

The Batman
Crazy little such and such...

The fact that Batman is played by a Brit doesn't raise as many questions with me as the fact that there are only two Americans on the principal cast; and one of them sucks (Katie Holmes), and the other one has a relatively marginal role (Morgan Freeman). The Batman was created as an American icon, and when I heard that most people involved on the project are not American, I got a little nervous. However, there are only two American principal roles that are being played by Brits. R'as Al Ghul, Alfred, and Henri Ducard are all damn dirty foreigners like Kal-El over there. wink
Most of the things I've heard about this movie make me really want to see it. I'm looking forward to it.
I have a hard time seeing Gary Oldman as a believable James Gordon. The last cop I saw him play was that psychopath in "The Professional." Far from stand-up and heroic. Oldman is a great villain, but that's all I've ever seen him be.
Michael Caine as Alfred should be great to watch.

kal-el
LOL. Yeah, I understand what you meant now batguy, sorry to get all senthitive! I'm very patriotic like you guys but not at all nationalistic!I'm proud of my country/kingdom(was born here but am only half English in blood but 100% British in nationality. That's Daredevil wannabe to you!Wait a minute, I can hear screams about 2 miles away, sounds like an armed robbery, be back in a few minutes!...................I'm back, phew!Now......what was I saying? Oh yeah. Batman! I too am looking forward to this film and also question Oldman as Gordon. I just think of Bram Stoker's camp as hell but still damn scary Dracula when I look at him, or I think of that spitting soldier actor from friends, when he taught Joey to inunsiate(please spell check) by spitting at every opportunity. I would have preffered maybe John ( 'smile you son of a b*tch')Scheider who would have been perfect as Ben Urich in DD by the way.

In any case, it really doesn't matter who the actors are as long as they're good and I believe Chris Bale is perfect.He actually looks like Bruce Wayne(handsome and Chisled with a Heros jaw but with a dark look to him with that widows peak) and has already acted quite like him in a character sense in American psycho. A rich man with everything but who hates the pretense of his meaningless life, with a dark secret and the real him awakens at night.Just like bats.He's himself as batman not Wayne. Also not sure about Neeson as Ducard.Isn't Ducard a kick-arse martial artist?(testify please batman).

I can't wait for this movie to come out.The cast is all star and lets hope they fit their characters and take the parts seriously than most do when taking on superhero/villain parts.

God save the Queen and God bless America!

The Batman
You're all about the Daredevil, but you also said that Nightwing was your inspiration for being a cop by day, vigilante by night. Come on, you limey devil. Don't tell me you don't know who this really is. wink

I liked Gary Oldman in several of his incarnations of Dracula; pretty much all of them except the beautiful and romantic version. The rest were great, and I love crazy, ancient Dracula the best, with Bat-Man Dracula as a close second. Damn, he does a lot of makeup in that movie.

I agree that Roy Scheider would have been a great Ben Urich. I love Joe "Joey Pants" Pantoliano, but I feel he was miscast in the Daredevil movie.

I've only seen Ducard once, and he seemed like a rugged but shady survivalist type. I'm sure he can fight like nobody's business, but I can't quite see Neeson as a guy who can fight better than the Batman himself. I know he was something really unsavory, like an assassin or a mercenary or something. Apparently, he's working with the Demon's Head and his assassins in this movie.

Personally, I thought Neeson should have been the Scarecrow, and he was considered at one time. After seeing "The Haunting," I saw that he could play a semi-creepy scientist with questionable ethics and the hots for learning about fear in live humans subjects. The guy in "The Haunting" was a teddy bear, so he'd have to bump it up about 50 notches and become totally twisted to become Dr. Jonathan Crane, and I know he could do it.

kal-el
Shit!You're not batman!You're..........I know who you are! You crazy Batty, Yank Berserker psycho-analyst you! Very good clue dropping dude. Very, very good! Very Batman!I was wondering where you've been!

The Batman
I'm still the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

kal-el
What shall we call it?-Return of the Dark Yank? smile

The Batman
Perfect. Either that or the Defective Detective. cool

kal-el
LOL

badkittykitty
edited your post...no bashing nameless or not.

amlap
im kind of glad that bale got this part. he is one of the most under appreciated actors.

darksweeney
The point everyone seems to be missing isn't american actors vs british actors - in this instance, the actor is portying an American, so it dosen't matter if he's British, Canadian or Martian, so long as you can't tell. Christian Bale is a master of accents apparently; according to IMDB.com, he has given a distictively different accent in all of his performances (just like the Australian actor Guy Pierce from L.A. Confidentiall).
If you want to really complain about something, complain about the proposed Constantine movie, with Keanu Reeves as John Constatine portayed as an AMERICAN instead of an ENGLISHMAN.
There should be no nationalistic scorn in the choice of actors, just anti revisionism in representation of characters. I doubt anyone anyone in this post dosen't want to see a Batman rewrite with the character in a red & white costume with a 'B' on his chest & 'bat powers' (as opposed to a traditional vision of who the character is we've grown to know & love).
Why don't we step it up a notch an address a real topic for debate - changing Ras 'al Ghul from a Middle Eastern villain to an Asisn one. This is PC tampering out of control....

kal-el
Very much so. You're right there.

ash007
Bravo darksweeney

well done i actually agree

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.