Is it alright for mother's to be best friends with there daughters?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
When I first met my stepmom she tryed everything to get me to like her she tryed by acting llike me.
Talking like me and dressing like me.It annored the heck out of me and I talked to her about it.Now she is herself.
I think however that a mother should be close to her daughter but not her best friend.
She should be her mother and nothering else.What do you think?JM smile Happy Dance

bilbofett
I think mothers or step mothers should monitor the number of inane threads their children are posting

Capt_Fantastic
God help her. I hope she doesn't work outside of the home.

There is nothing wrong with a close relationship between mother and daughter. I have some female friends who tell their mothers everything. These are usually the female friends who's mothers are the most cool and down to earth. If you have an understanding relationship with your mother, then she'll likely have one with you. It'll make life a lot easier.

Fire
both should do what they feel is best, there is no golden rule for this

Jedi Priestess
My oldest daughter is my best friend and she considers me her best friend. I don't dress or act like her. Older women who do that have self esteem issues I believe. I was never close to my own mother growing up, and still cant stand the woman today. I am most thankful that both my daughters are very close to me.

and please use the damned spell check for just once in your life it's ANNOYED not annored!!

much like the way you annoy the hell out of me

bilbofett
classic JP, simply classic!!!

Darth Revan
Funny, she used to spell "ignored" "annored". Holy shit, she's even more confused than I thought. Seriously, how the **** do you get "annoyed" and "annored" mixed up? They don't even sound the same...

Ha, three out of the five people to have posted in here are on JM's "annore" list.

It's fine, and as we have seen, dressing like your daughter isn't the same as being her best friend.

KharmaDog
How does JM feel about a father dressing like his daughter? Is that O.K.?

My opinion is that a kid can have a hundred friends but only one set of parents (o.k. maybe two if there's a divorce). If you are trying too hard to make sure that your kid likes you, you probably aren't doing your job as a parent.

Oh yeah, on more thing, JM, www.dictionary.com not only tells you what a word means, it also gives you keen tips on how to spell it.

Jackie Malfoy
Will you guys for once stop giving me a hard time and answear the stupid question?JM Thank you!

JToTheP
That was more or less what I was going to say, and basically ask any of you to tell me how many topics JM has made in the past HOUR today already?

I wouldn't be bothered, and I'd hope it didn't bother them if my wife and daughter were friends/best friends. I think some people need to get out of the "anti-parents" thing that most teenagers go through since it's completely outdated and ridiculous and childish.

Jackie Malfoy
I am not againt child relionships I just think that the child should have a mother not a best friend.That is all now calm down a nd take a deep breath and relax.
JM

Clovie
it was to be annoyed? i thought it's some word i don't know erm

i see no point for them not to be best friends.
it is kinda annoying though when my mum wears shorter skirts tham me.. but on the other hand i like it more this way happy

bilbofett
Child relationships? You mean like Michael Jackson?

BTW, seems you're the only one worked up here, dearie.

Samurai Guy
There is nothing wrong with a mother and daughter having a close relationship. Everyone needs friends their own age, but having an older friend to look up to and ask advice from is nothing to frown upon.

Your step-mother, although she is going about it the complete wrong way, is taking the first step in trying to strengthen your relationship with her. She is trying to be somebody you can relate to.

Jaxx... (May I call you Jaxx?) she is just reaching out to you. Whether or not you reach back is your call. Would you like to have a mentor/friend? I see no harm in it.

You are the Cats Pyjama's, Miss. Simply the Cats Pyjama's.

cornponious
No, I think she's referring to MANBLA.

corn

JToTheP
It's NAMBLA by the way, unless they changed the name on South Park on purpose.

"Child Relationships"? That sounds like pedofile talk to me. I think you need to change your english to something of the sort of "A child having a SOCIAL RELATIONSHIP with her mother" or something along those lines to avoid what sounds like your encouraging pedofileism.

Clovie
it is really interesting how everyone minds their language while talking to JM blink

JToTheP
I actually don't, I just find other words like pedofile to explain why, what JM says is completely f*cked.

Clovie
laughing

Jackie Malfoy
Hey you are on my list Jo so I have no idea what you just said.JM

KharmaDog
Ignorance is bliss, eh JM?

Df02
hey, im just posting because i want to know how to be on JM's ignore list....looks like a club i wanna be a part of

Capt_Fantastic
Simply point out that she is ignorant and backwards.

As often as you can.

JToTheP
Df, I don't even know if I'm on it yet, someone named 'Jo' was added, we're trying to find out if she means me or someone else.

JToTheP
And that Abortion should be pro-choice, and she's a stupid broad, etc.

Df02
how would pointing out thats she's ignorant and backwards insult her? she can barely spell those words let alone understand them

JToTheP
There you go. laughing out loud

lil bitchiness
For god's sake everyone!

If you dont like the fact she can't spell then stay out of her thread, instead of going into every, single one saying one thing over and over again. Maybe she can't spell better! Either keep this on topic, or im closing this.

Jackie Malfoy
Thank you.So lets get back to the topic now shall we?JM

Imaginary
There's no problem with it.

Why would there be?

If a mother and daughter are friends they would get along better, creating a stronger relationship because they know what the other is thinking. Its kind of self-explanatory...

Jackie Malfoy
Good answear Imaginary.Maybe I miss judge you.I might take you off my list afterall.JM

Imaginary
Uhhh.... JM, I unfortunately never was on your list.

Jackie Malfoy
Yes you were on my list I have to click to view your posts.Right now however I forget why you were on my list.But I will fix that!You are free!JM

Imaginary
Oh no.....

shellie
Having 4 daughters of my own i can sorta relate to this thread . My oldest is currently 12 and right now we have a very tight close bond....I cant call her my bestfriend though....not at 12 . When she is older then maybe but till she is old enough to take care of herself...ill remain her mother before im her friend .

P.S. Jackie sweetie...the ignore list doesnt work if your gonna read their post hun . It defies the purpose of having it .

KharmaDog
JM, I don't know whether it is more sad that you type like a two year old retarded monkey on prozac, that you put people on an ignore list because you can't deal with people who hold a different opinion, or that you actually think people care that you are ignoring them.

Either way, you entertain us all, not in a good way, but entertain nontheless.

shellie
One thing im constanly reminded of when reading all these kinds of post to JM is 2 rules i try to live by.......

1. do unto others as you'd have them do unto you

and more importantly in this case....

2. if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all

no offence to those who are my friends but more people should remember this when talking to her....regardless of how irritated you get.....

KharmaDog
shellie, you are taking the high road and I commend you, but I encourage you to read more of her posts.

shellie
I have from the very begining sweetie...more then you know . That still doesnt excuse the constant bashing against her....if you cant understand her post then over look it and dont respond or simply ignore her threads .

Im not an innocent party myself , but ive realized....it gets no where and its a waist of energy . erm

BackFire
Sure, no problem if the mother and daughter have a close relationship.

BlackC@t
My step-mum kept talking to me and my brothers and trying to hang out with us. Then my older brother moved out and she got the vibe the three of us didn't like it.

I use to really hate her and would provoke her to get into a fight with me because I didn't want to become close to her. But the truth is, she's really not that bad erm

Fiery Eyes
There's nothing wrong w/being best friends w/your kid, if you can still be a parent too. Best friends don't make you do the right thing, they encourage you to, but if you choose the wrong thing, then you do, a parent will do the same, but... will NOT let you choose the wrong thing, they will try to stop you first, they won't just let you do it. For example: you want to try a new drug, a friend may encourage you NOT to, but if in the end you choose to do so, then you will do the drug. A parent however would encourage you just as the friend, but would never allow you to try the drug.

PVS
if you ever forget why i'm on your list, please let me know,
and i will certainly remedy the problem....by the way...why are you
reading this? i thought you were ignoring me? laughing out loud

Imperial_Samura
I can see nothing wrong with a parent being a close friend to their children, indeed the whole father/son, mother/daughter relationships are some of the basic social building blocks. In fact in most cases it would probably be benificial, after all, friendships are trust based, and who can you trust more then your parents? That said its about choice, if somebody wants their mother as a best friends, and the mother is happy to fill that position, then its great. But if one doesn't want that kind of relationship, then it shouldn't be forced.

Vampy
There's nothing wrong in having a closer relationship with your mother, even with the age gap and so.

Which doesn't mean i like my mom smile I really love her but its a real biatch to live with her 24/7

Plus, 'JM', your ignore list is something private. If you walk around telling everybody who's on it and being damn proud of it it loses all its sense. And so it does if when you actually read the posts of your ignored users.

Imperial_Samura
Everyone has different ways of enjoying themselves.

Jackie Malfoy
Yea and that is my way of enjoying myself!jk!Anyway I get along with my stepmom too.All it took was alittle talk to get her back to her sences.
I mean I am closer to her then my real mom.How strange is that?JM

BlackC@t
That's understandable, well, to me anyway.

Jackie Malfoy
Inleast you understand me!That is good!JM I like your avator in your siggy even through it is alittle bit scary!JM

Line
I agree that children should have a good, trust based relationship with their parents ( nothing pervy.) but as long as the child's young, the parents shouldn't be best friends but authoritative figures. fiery eyes has already commented on it; the parent is not an equal. on the contrary, he/she's a role model and the one in charge.

eleveninches
/\ agreed totally.

The parent is not there to be a best friend. He/She is there to be a parent and to look after and raise the child. They are not equals until at least after the child leaves home.

Jackie Malfoy
Yes that is right!^I argee with the both of you on that!JM

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.