Dungeons and Dragons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
This is just a random thought that popped into my head.

How many of you feel that D&D is a bad thing? I know there are quite a few people who feel that Dungeons and Dragons is basically Satan's board game (like Chutes and Ladders with a fiery lake at the bottom!), but what do you all think of it?

Personally, I have no problem with it (though I don't play it), but I know my parents sure do smile. The mom in particular (heh) believes that if I ever touched D&D material, I'd become a die-hard Satanist.

What are your thoughts?

(Feel free to incorporate video games based off of D&D.)

fever red
Heh, you're gonna become a die-hard Satanist, LOL, that'll be interesting...for a change, why don't you post as you imagine a die-hard Satanist would for the next 48 hours! Liven things up,mix it up.

mc pee pants
people read too much into things now. we have become a country of wusses and gun slinging cowboys with a john wayne syndrome. a game is just a game until you put something else behind its meaning.

lil bitchiness
Is it absolutely positivly nerdy? Yes

Is it satanic? No, no its not. but its nerdy

mc pee pants
*proceeds to de-nerd self*

Darth Sauron
I dont play it, but i dont think its nerdy or anything...i just wouldnt play it stick out tongue

BackFire
D&D is awesome, I used to play with my buddies alot last summer. It's fun. It has nothing to do with satan and anyone who thinks it does is a retard with the logical thoughts of a toothpick.

ash007
mmm never played it.

Actully i never seen a D&D board game???

Can we actually get them in the UK

Darth Revan
Yeah, D&D isn't a board game...

Anyways, it's probably the nerdiest activity on the face of the earth, but it kicks ass. I play it all the time, and look at me, I turned out fine! *twitches*

My friend's whole family plays it. It's pretty funny, actually.

fruits
im a pretty religious person, and i play the game. its not corrupting me or anything

Silver Stardust
*twitch twitch*

laughing out loud

I've played it before, it's fun...definitely very nerdy, but a ton of fun. And not at all satanic roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Prefect
Play Hungry Hungry Hippos instead--its much cooler.

BadKitty
I used to play a marvel version of D&D it was pretty damn fun, but I didn't love the devil till I played twister with him..so which is truly evil?

Imperial_Samura
I agree with most other oppinions, it has nothing to do with Saten, in fact as a fantasy RPG it has no real connection with real life religions. Also fantasy is usually classic good against evil with good always winning, at least in genric terms. Reminds me of my first game, I was a half elf mage, lawful good. He was eaten by Gnomes in the first half hour. Still, its a lot of fun, and somewhat trendy at uni at the moment.

ChickinMeat
sort of off topic, but doesnt the rock (wrestler) play D&D? ive heard that he does, id never expect that! what a legend!

Imperial_Samura
Vin Disil, or what ever his name is, the action guy from XXX and Pitch Black is also apparently an avid D&D player.

Ushgarak
D&D is about as Satanic as a gardening club, though you may well consider Tulips to be fairly devilish.

What is also isn't, however, is a very good RPG... not that that stops me playing it, because a game is what you make of it, a role-play twice so, but its potential is extremely limited. It actually works far better on computer (e.g. the Baldur's Gate games) where the number chasing and monster slaying doesn't tire as fast.

Darth Surgent
In my experience, the finest and most intelligent Moderators that I've ever known have all had BtVS quotes in their sig. Coincidence? happy

My point being: To Ush, you must listen.

Filth
D&D is cool tho i do not play it, but d&d has inspired many good rpg game makers to produce great games

yerssot
FM... what makes you think that?

Jackie Malfoy
My boyfriend plays the game and said there is nothering that he finds evil about it.I mean it is just a game.Just like that one game Ougie or whatever it is called.
I doubt if there is any deeper meaning into it.JM

Fire
Okie first of all, D&D normaly isn't a board game (altho atleast one DnD board game exists (bad one)) It's a roleplaying game.
Secondly there is Nothing Satanic about D&D if your mom thinks that you should take her to a RPG convention. You can give the game whatever feel you want but I think you have to try really hard to give it a satanic feel.

As for nerdy? well I dunno. But since I've been a pretty hardcore DnD player for the last 12 years my opinion might not be objective.
People call me and my RPG friends nerds but we usualy agree.
RPGs are for nerds so what!

DnD is a great RPG as Ush said fairly limited but I still enjoy playing it to an extreme level. I don't agree with ush on Baldurs gate being better than real DnD (depends on what you are used to ofcourse)

RPGs are about one of the best hobbies I can think of.

FeceMan
I am aware, but my mom is completely ignorant of everything D&D. She sees D&D = devil-worship. I have tried to explain the premise to her before--she's more thick-headed than a coconut with an inactive thyroid gland (or somesuch). I tried to explain to her that KotOR is BASICALLY D&D (which she allows no problem due to the lack of magic), but it didn't work.

Darth Revan
There was this thing my friend found on the internet that was making fun of D&D... I don't remember where he found it, but it was basically a sound clip of a bunch of power-nerdy kids sitting around playing D&D and saying stupid things. It was funny as hell. If your mom heard that, she might change her mind.

Darth Revan
http://www.exposingsatanism.org/dnd.htm

I think it's a fairly common belief, actually. Another reason people think it's "bad" is because of all the "goths" who play it.

Fire
That guy doesn't even know what D&D is about DR I have that clip on my comp (atleast if you mean the one with "I wanna cast magic missle" and "I attack the darkness"wink

yerssot
djee, if you look hard enough into everything you can also proof that the IQ of a parakeet and the hair on the back of your nextdoor neighbour roll eyes (sarcastic)

Imperial_Samura
Perhaps you could be on the right track trying to educate her, I mean, if she likes something like, say, Lord of the Rings, then she couldn't really have a problem with D&D, which everyone claims was inspired by it, and Star Wars just changes the name of magic to "The Force"

Df02
chances are theyr'd think LOTR was evil aswell.... aswell as most things outside her front door

RaventheOnly
I've never sat and played it because the main premise to it being nerdy is due to all the calculations messed .... which i would have no problem with. But Satanic wise i do remember a book of demons, devils, and Gods stick out tongue so maybe they have a beef with that part stick out tongue but if you know the universe you will realize from a christen point of view Helm is basically the Crusader ideal of God.

And Buldur's Gate Rocks .... i guess Bhaal Lord of Murder, the enemy in BG, would not sound so cool in a church laughing out loud

Fire
we (D&D players) have quite a few books about hell, devils, demons and evil deities even so we have equaly many books about heavens, angels and good deities

RaventheOnly
Very true but those searching for wrong will be blind to this premise erm i love the idea and the universe of DD big grin

Fire
nah I'm not in favor of the carthwheel of planes, I mean it is nicely thought of but I don't like it I usualy eliminate every plane except the material, astral and shadow plane (the others are not really planes)

shaber
It's a vague category. I always thought I could make up better rubrics.

Fire
huh what you mean shaber talking about the carthweel of planes or?

RoguePw25
I LOVED this show. It was the best!

shaber
I think it should be darker and more austere! smokin'

Fire
which show?

shaber
Both!

Fire
Still have no idea about which show you are talking

Linkalicious
I can't believe I'm going to say this....

But thank god i skipped D&D and went straight to comic book nerd-dom

Fire
yea cause you actualy need intelligence to roleplay stick out tongue

Linkalicious
what you need in order to role play is your parents basement and almost no social life aside from your small handful of friends who worry about "leveling up their level 9 battle mage" messed

Fire
stick out tongue
well if you ever come to belgium I'd dare you to come and play with us, you need a lot of intelligence and good judgement too
and well I think my social life is quite big thank you, I know a lot of players who have a huge social life as a matter of fact stick out tongue

I think a lot of people have serious mis-conceptions about RPGs and if ppl never played it I think they should know their opinions are purely based on speculations

Linkalicious
Yup....I'm using nothing but speculation...and I'm not afraid to admit it.

With where I live, I spend far too much time at the beach surfing, or riding my dirt bike to enjoy any RPG that can't be saved on a computer or console.

Vampy
Ok, I admit it. DnD is my soft spot. I love playing it.

YES, I'M A NERD, SUE ME! droolio

Silver Stardust
Wow, is that not the world's biggest stereotype...laughing out loud

Don't worry, Vampy, you're among friends here!

Vampy
touched i am?

I'm addicted to Dungeons and Dragons. I always play with a fire genasi and i'm starting a new campaign on friday droolio

Silver Stardust
You are hug

I haven't played in a few years...I miss it...it was so much fun laughing out loud

Linkalicious
Everytime I think of D&D.....I think of Comic Book Collector Guy from the Simpsons....big grin

silver_tears
I have never even seen a copy of this game embarrasment
Not too big on video games, except the Sims laughing out loud

Oh and the whole satanism thing is like saying Harry Potter inspires devil worship confused
I think it's just good clean fun big grin

Vampy
shocking it is not.... NOT A VIDEO GAME cry

hug lana! must fly, meet and play! I be the.. the... erm... well the one that... erm... the priest thingy embarrasment

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud My characters were always fighter-types...my favorite was an elven ranger yes Yes! Must play together, Vamps!

silver_tears
what is it then? confused

dave123
never even looked at the game in my life happy

Vampy
YES! 12-hour session with chips and loads of coke!

Its an RPG type of game. Book, character sheets, dice...

Linkalicious
the only good role playing games are those Pick-a-Path games....

Those were awesome.

Silver Stardust
D&D is the nerdiest thing ever, but it's a lot of fun to play happy

Awesome! I'll bring some cookies big grin

Storm
I played a gnome rogue in a D&D adventure. The gp I collected... happy

Vampy
eek! yay! FORGOTTEN REALMS HERE I COME!

i got a huge map on my wall

silver_tears
sick no expression
I always thought it was a computer game embarrasment

Corlindel
No offense

but I think your mom is republican and has voted Bush

This is the only explanation for this topic...Just my opinion.

In case of doubt: Don't ever touch D&D material or you'll become Satan himself evil face stick out tongue

Fire
Never was a fan of Forgotten Realms tbh, too much of "turn over a rock and find a +5 weapon"

DnD on a comp still makes me laugh, it's pathetic no Computer RPG even comes close to the real stuff laughing out loud

PS: I'm making my own world it's a great deal of fun I just need nice drawings of everything which is quite hard to find

Vampy
i don't like computer rpg stick out tongue

but i always enjoyed maths, so there you go

Fire
nice! thumb up

Fire
I still don't think their is that much math in it, sure you have to be able to add up a few numbers, AWWW really hard stick out tongue

altho I am getting fast in adding up D6's lately

Vampy
tell this to people who flee in terror after seing a couple of digits to add stick out tongue

Fire
hehe you know some?

yerssot
Is there a possibility on the D&D CDROM to get out of the dungeon without using the wizard key?

(adapted quote from The Simpsons, the one were Homer playes Poochie, the Dog)

Darth Surgent
It's "Wizard Key"

stick out tongue

At least in the U.S., it is.

yerssot
how do you mean ? wink

changed it... wasn't sure of that ending cause I only saw the episode twice

Darth Surgent
'twas all in good fun. wink

yerssot
all the time

FeceMan
LOL! I about crapped myself with laughter when I watched that--the hilarity was unprecedented!

Therein lies the problem. *Sighs, and then rolls eyes.*

My youth pastor is really into LotR and that is why she is OK with it. Because he says it is OK and enjoys reading, it is OK and the magic "isn't really magic" (*sighs again*). The Force...yeah, it's sci-fi so it isn't magic. Except for PSO, which is not Satan's videogame, but more like Satan's ex-girlfriend's videogame.

Get this--I got Anarchy Online (any players here?), a sci-fi based MMORPG with a conflict between an evil corporation and those who rebelled against it (Omni-Tek and, strangely enough, the Rebels). Every single character class in the game has nanoformulae (read: spells...and is it formulas or formulae?) and she says that she wants me not to use the NFs.

Durh?

fever red
Well, obviously you should do EVERYTHING any youth pastor tells you, or you will go to hell...

Darth Revan
Yep, that's the one. I realize it's not very accurate, but it was still funny.

FeceMan
Indeed, and I am the same way. Actually, you'd be surprised at how lax she is with violence--carnage, gore, random killing is all fine and dandy, but get into the magic and watch yourself...

I'm thinking of explaining it to her like this:

What is the difference between a superhero throwing a fireball and a wizard casting a spell that throws a fireball? Not much in the way of anything, from my POV. I take a look in the Bible and it says not to practice "the magical arts" and such, but I see that as being literal magic--praying to demons and gods, actually trying to cast spells, etc.

Hmmm...where was it again...some place in "Bible times" (how stupid does that sound?) that sold these cards that had sorcerors' spells on them to protect the people. Fascinating little tidbit of information there.

I could make an inappropriate joke here, but I won't. smile

fever red
Essentially, I made that joke- it was implied. Thanks for picking it up and loving it well!

Julie
D&D was a fairly good movie...one I would never bother seeing again but didn't lose too many brain cells watching. I have never played the game

Fire
The movie sucked majorly julie it truely didn't catch the spirit of a good game. LOTR was way better to catch the spirit of a decent DnD story

vaya_the_elf
yes the movie did suck. Big time.

I mean come on, people passing a beholder like they did. There is no way. Beholders have lots of eyes. So much was wrong with that movie.

The real DnD is so much better.

Linkalicious
laughing

you guys are picking on the movie....

vaya_the_elf
Of course. If they would have not named it Dnd, or made it more like Dnd, then we would not have to.

Storm
The movie really was horrible sick

Linkalicious
it had dungeons...

it had dragons...

it lived up to the title. wink

Storm
And that' s about it. The comparison stops there messed

Linkalicious
that's what you get for having a Wayan's brother star in the movie.

vaya_the_elf
Closes I can come up with is lord of the rings. It has all the races, and a journey. So its simlar to Dnd.

Silver Stardust
I never saw the DnD movie. Wise move on my part, apparently smile

Storm
Absolutely. What a disappointment it was.

Fire
idd SS and yes Vaya LOTR comes close smile

altho there are ways of sneaking past a beholder, they can still screw up their spot roll stick out tongue

Linkalicious
DragonSlayer with Dirk the Daring was the sh!t

Fire
hehe
laughing out loud link

Ushgarak
Moral of the D&D movie- Jeremy Irons REALLY wants that castle...

BTW, unless I have missed something, it was Dragon's Lair.

vaya_the_elf
I know there are ways, but they did not use any. They just walked on by. In a game i played we were able to, but that was because we used a beholder agaist then, and we let the beholder go first. Its a long story.

Linkalicious
Damnit.

Dragon Slayer was a movie.

Dragon's Lair was the b!tchin cartoon. You are correct Ush....once again

but if you say them both fast enough....they sound the exact same. big grin

Fire
hmmm I think my players would use magic, or if they think they can make it attack the beholder

yerssot
it's like the holiday special for star warswink

Vampy
Jesus, the movie was the biggest shit ever. Just plain stupid.

And poor Thora Birch weep

FeceMan
D&D (the movie) was HORRIBLE. The only thing I can remember was a bunch of retarded wizards and this chick who had to use magic dust. And one of the guys looked like a shark.

vaya_the_elf
Whats everyones favorite class?

Mines I guess either a magic user or a ranger.

FeceMan
Magic user here--depending on my mood, it's either a wizard, necromancer, or cleric.

eleveninches
i loved the pc games (i have owned almost all of them at one time or another), but I tried to get interested in the actual d&D game itself and I just got bored. Probably because in the PC game, you already have everything set out (quests, NPC's, treasures, monsters, locations, etc), and there is less surprise of what is going to happen in the proper dnd game.

Imperial_Samura
I either go for something with magic, mage or similar, or something like a Paladin/monk. In fact a Paladin is a good character to use, if your inclined, in arguments with people who consider D&D evil, or involved with the devil, considering they are pretty much manifestations of everything good and pious. A bit like the Crusaders made themselves out to be.

eleveninches
I always used to just use fighters when i started the PC games, as they get so much more feats.

My favourate class at the moment for the PC games is the monk, as they get loads of feat-like abilities for free, and get to use their fists as +1/+2/+3 etc weapons. Plus, they dont have to spent loads of money on weapons or armour or spells or wands/staffs.

I tried to get used to using spellcasters, but they are so weak at lower levels, and they are almost undefetable at epic levels, but to learn epic spells they have to give up so much XP. sadsadsad

Imperial_Samura
True, true. Perhaps its just the possiblity to wear robes that appeals to so many. And monks would have to be one of the best classes I think, a bit like a D&D version of Pai Mei.

eleveninches
Yeah. They get fighter-type feats and abilities for free, but dont have to wear armour or use weapons.

low level (lv1-10): best to use barbarians or fighters
medium level (lv 11-20): best to use monks or spellcasters
epic level (21-40): best to use spellcasters (it is so difficult to fight with epic melee characters against epic spellcasters unlessthey have some kind of magic nullifiers, but at least epic melee characters dont have to give up any XP to learn new epic spells)

In NWN, the epic warding spell was just so overpowerful sad
The best NWN feat was probably the devastating critical (instant death on critical hit - no save)
I was going to go through NWN:HOTU again with a monk instead of a fighter, but i had to sell the game to get some money back.
Some of the items that people have created with the NWN aurora toolset for online play are just rediculoussly overpowered. It's just not fair. The best item I found in all of NWN was the black orb that nullifies all magical/spell effects (use once only)

Fire
epic sucks big time, the game is totaly ruined once you pass lvl20 (class become grossly imbalanced)

eleveninches I don't agree that fighters and barbarians have the advantage on lower levels, maybe in a pc game but not in a real (atleast not in one of my sessions) sure they have great combat abilities but they have huge drawbacks as well, if you have a party with only fighters and barbarians and you have to talk your way out of something yousa f*cked

I believe all classes are quite potent at every lvl just in different fields, arcane users who can cast lvl3 spells are also quite combat-capable

my personal class favorite is a monk, just cause I like their abilities

(To use their fists as +1/+2/+3 etc weapons) that's a 3.0 rule 3.5 worked out monks and especialy rangers so much better

FeceMan
Heh, try that on MY parents.

yerssot
that's what he's trying to do stick out tongue

Fire
well I think a paladin is a lot more than whatever the crusaders made themself out to be

WindDancer
D&D is old news. Warhammer is IN nowadays. stick out tongue wink

Fire
WH sucks now that's for nerds stick out tongue

RaventheOnly
Come on I have no beef with WH .... they have Chain Swords droolio

vaya_the_elf
D&D is not old news. Lots and Lots of people still play it, therefore its not old news stick out tongue

RaventheOnly
Oh OH Mage. embarrasment then Paladin. big grin but thats in the comp versions. embarrasment

vaya_the_elf
So you have only played computer games?

RaventheOnly
like Neverwinter nights and Buldur's Gate embarrasment big grin oh oh and Morrowind which is similar stick out tongue

vaya_the_elf
Neverwinter Nights is my favorite game. Have you ever roleplayed?

RaventheOnly
droolio i have both expansions droolio the original story has to be one of the greatests... next to the Shadows of Amn pray

I tried but everyone else died mad there in such a hurry to get themselves all killed mad

vaya_the_elf
I have the expansions to. They are very spiffy big grin

shaber
Again, the rubrics for the games should have the correct allignments.

vaya_the_elf
Then make your own stick out tongue

shaber
I would if I had the energy and resources cry

vaya_the_elf
Well don't cry about it. It will be ok.

shaber
http://f.frost.bbboy.net/healnpd/008.gif I'm sending the bug round to purify.

vaya_the_elf
What did purify do?

shaber
It makes the place more orderly smile The squander bug approved a kind of theocratic fascism.

vaya_the_elf
Thats interesting.

theReject
I can't pass judgement on D&D because I don't know what it is.
Ok, so I know Dungeons and Dragons is a game(right?), but what is it about?

-Mademoiselle Reject

vaya_the_elf
Well I'm not sure if I'm the right person to explain it to you. Yes D&D is a game, but no a computer game. Its a roleplaying game. If you dont know what a roleplaying game is, well thats the part thats hard for me to explain. Its a lot of fun though, and I suggest you try it sometime. You might like it.

theReject
smile Okay thanks for the info.

vaya_the_elf
Anytime

eleveninches
I used to have all 4 of the baldurs gate games, all 3 NWN games, Temple of elemental evil, icewind dale/heart of winter and Pool of Radience for the PC.
Now I only have pool of radience, as i sold the others. POR is quite slow, but really big as well and more challenging than HOTU.

Monks have got to be the best class in my opinion. Plus, some of there prestige classes absolutely rule.

Fire
yea still pc versions are nothing compared to the real deal

eleveninches
toee was the closest to the real thing (3.5 rules), but it only goes up to lv 10, and is rather slow, but i discovered a bug in the game which allows you to start the game at charachter generatio with max attributes (18 plus/minus racial or class traits).
Also, on pc games, before levelling up, you can save your game, and restart it as many times as is necessary to get max HP points.

Fire
Which is lame also starting the game wiv 6 18's or 4 18's, 1 20 and 1 16 is lame

zinh
A group of people playing characters a fantasy setting. Its all pen, paper, dice and your imagination. Like living out a book. Its what we did before video games hehe. Depending on your dungeon master your game can be very immersive or very boring smile

I play every Saturday night.

Its not Satanic unless you want it to be smile Though there are gods and stuff and people can choose to be good, neutral or evil.

FeceMan
Yeah, but doing that is--dare I use this word out of context in a way that I absolutely despise and hate the 13-year-olds of America for? Yes!--gay because I think that RPGs are all about having characters with weaknesses. What's the fun in KotOR if you run around with all stats at 255 and everything?

Personally, I don't think there is any.

vaya_the_elf
Your lucky you get to play that often. I wish I could play more often. sad

Fearnix
I love playing D&D big grin
But now i have no one to play it with sad

SlipknoT
I've never played it but the movie sucked

Fearnix
yes i hated the movie sick
but i love playing D&D sooo much

vaya_the_elf
Playing is lots of fun.

Slipknot- you should try it sometime.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.