Is Cloning good or bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
I don't care too much about it.But I don't think it should be allowed.I been reading "Brave new World" and that makes me not want to clone at all.
So do you think cloning people is playing god and is wrong?
So what are you thoughts on this?JM confused

PVS
damn

i also hope you never clone.
one of you is quite enough

laughing out loud

Darth Sauron
Cloning is bad, they will turn bad and kill the jedi and thus assure victory for the evil emperor yes

yerssot
the evil empire being the UK? stick out tongue

Darth Sauron
yes
happy

Silver Stardust
Hey, we were just talking about cloning in my philosophy class....

No, I don't think we should clone humans. It's not for any religious reason or because I think we'd be playing God (because I don't believe there is a God), but because it could turn society into nothing but a bunch of identical twins. Just because we have the technology doesn't mean we need to use it. What I DO think they should focus more research on is cloning human tissues and organs, which would save many people who are on organ donor lists but are unable to get a match. And I'm for stem-cell research...the assistant principal at my high school had cancer and he had stem cell therapy which got the cancer into remission, so since then it's something that I think we should look more into.

And Brave New World is a VERY good book...

Wow, I agreed with Jackie.

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud in my philo class someone said something about clones forming an army...I just responded "Ever see Star Wars?"

Then we started talking about Jurassic Park.

Jackie Malfoy
LOL!I could tell someone has his mind on star wars!JM

yerssot
but your president isn't

Imperial_Samura
I really have no problem with it. In fact I support it in most cases, depending on how far it goes. Brave New World is a good book, but something like that would be many, many years off, if it ever occurred. But say, cloning organs or even limbs for transplants would save countless lives. Cloning species made endangered by mankind, or close to extinction would be a major environmental break through. Thats practical scientific applications. Cloning who people who are normal is still years beyond us, but should they ever get there once again, what is wrong with it, a person is shaped by experience, by nurture, just because a person is an exact genetic replica does not mean they are going to have the same personality, dreams and so forth, they will be an individual (just thought I would say that in case any body says "what if they clone Hitler one day"wink

Silver Stardust
Yeah, uh, Yerssie? Haven't you noticed by now that I pretty much disagree with EVERYTHING Bush believes in/doesn't believe in? stick out tongue

yerssot
considering I forget names every ten minutes... no, not at all blink

Jackie Malfoy
Yes it is a great book.What year is it supose to take place in anyway?I don't think they ever said.And I think the book came out the same time as 1984!
Anyway it may take a while for them to start cloning human beings but I hope they never do.I mean I would not want someone that looks like me going around.
That would be scary!JM

Silver Stardust
Yessie...laughing out loud

Darth Sauron
Too much time on my hands

Imperial_Samura
The way cloning is likely to work is that the clone will have to start of as a baby and grow, thus it is unlikly there would ever be a time when there are two or more people going around that look exactly the same. Maybe someone who looks like you once did, but say your 20, and some cells were taken, and a clone made, by the time the clone was 20 you would be 40. Add to the fact that it will be living a different life, perhaps it would decide not to exercise, or be raised in some different eviroment that were health fanatics, there would be physical variations at some point.

Jackie Malfoy
I understand that.But it is playing god.And that to me is not right.Why should we create what we don't know too much about?Do you get my point?If I am confusing you I am sorry!JM

Darth Sauron
Cloning isnt at the point where they could make a clone to even live to twnety.

remember Dolly the sheep, first cloned animal or something, plagued by disease, lived six years, died.

Imperial_Samura
No, I understand what your saying JM, and its a good point not to jump into something that has such serious consiquences, and something like this will always be surrounded by powerfal emotions, but I think that it is a good thing if they could use cloning to say cure disease, or save lives. That is not so much about playing God, but rather as a way of utilising it for a good reason, much like other medical sciences. Cloning a whole human however, trying to create life in that way, however, does not enter into that. I don't think its needed, but I will wait and see.

And I know its not possible to do it yet, I was merely using that as an example. The knowledge to clone a full healthy human is still at least 60 years off, and thats with government support, more likely it wont be in our life times.

Jackie Malfoy
Glad that you argee with me with the play god thing.I forgot about the sheep.Thank goodies we did not try cloning humans yet.In that case.JM

Darth Revan
I didn't think it lived even that long, I thought it was like a couple of months...

Aleera1138
I do not feel cloning of Humans is very wise at all. Why mess up what we already have and what the almighty have created. I am sorry, but I do not believe us human should play God.

Besides, it would be freaky to see alot of me going around. LOL big grin

Darth Sauron
No, it got to six years.

lil bitchiness
Ok, all of the people in this thread who seem to think that the point of cloning is to have someone exactly the same as you - you're all wrong and you have complitely and absolutely missed the point of cloning.

Three types of cloning, which you all should research before you all start to sell me your philosophy on cloning - Embryo cloning, Adult DNA cloning (reproductive cloning) and Therapeutic cloning (biomedical cloning).

There are obviously good and bad points to cloning, and depending from what perspective you're looking at it, some are better than others.

Should cloning be allowed - yes, I think it should. The aim of cloning is not to make everyone the same, but so that some diseases can be cured - with the help of cloning this can be achieved ( using healthy cells from your identical ) as well as perfectly matched, replacement organs could become freely available to sick and dying people. And this could improve the quality of lifestyle in many countries.

However there are bad points - what about morality. The purpose of the cloan would most probably be to benefit yourself

However that poses a morality question of making your identical only to use his/hers cells and organs - how moral is that in reality - another human being's purpose is to help you only. Also in therapeutic cloning, the pre-embryo is not allowed to develop to the embryo stage. There are all other cell problsm which i cant say im familiar with very well.

So, its not exactly black and white - there are many benefits as well as downsides to it.

Aleera1138
Yeah, but with cloning, I fear the downsides of it more. Though I do hope one day, one can find cures for the many diseases out there and help with the handicap of many.

I just do not know if cloning is a way to go, but who knows?

smile

ash007
wow first time i actually agree with Lil.smile

I also think it would be a good idea to clone organs.
It would save alot lives.
But cloning a human i kind of disagree because why would anyone want to?

Afro Cheese
Cloning is good. Scientific progress is always good in my opinion. Just sometimes the way humans apply that science is not so good.

Darth Sauron
I disagree with it in all cases.
There, thats my opinion.

yerssot
if the voting in the UN gets a result, it has as much power as the rejection of a war in Iraq has: nothing

why? cause there will always be people that are mad and go clone people in the way of replicating him/her

<<Solo>>
You can clone yourself at the age of 20, freeze the clone. And when your 80 and your about to die, have a brain transplant into that body! eek!

ash007
yeah well i don't think you can clone memories

<<Solo>>
I didn't say your cloning memories, I just said clone the body, when your about to die put your brain in his body. Your walking around with the same memories but a younger body.

JToTheP
I'm indifferent on animal cloning, but I'm against human cloning. I swear I would go into a panicing state if I can into the clone of one of my friends or family members. I believe there are other people EXACTLY like us, but who actually HAVE souls, on other planets and the such. No human cloning though, I would have a panic attack if I saw a clone of myself that had no soul.

Clovie
i still don't understand why the church is not allowing cloning of certain cells, like hepar-cells or something confused

lil bitchiness
Theres first time for everything.

You cannot clone just organs by itself, how can you? I order to have an organ you need to have a human which will have such organ for transplant. Same goes for the cells.

yerssot
they consider a bunch of cells as life too

mc pee pants
i never really thought of it that way. if i saw a version of me without a soul, i'd hide form me.

but if you wanna clone me to send my clone to war instead of me, then by all means. just make sure it dies and never to return.

Clovie
yeah, i know, but that cells would be use to save someone's life.

yerssot
it's still murder to them

eventhough it's not a living creature so you can't murder it roll eyes (sarcastic)

Clovie
no... coz there would be never a human grow from them.

yerssot
tell that to them

ETK
I think cloning can be seen through so many filters. Cloning cannot be defined by one example alone.

I will let God, my immune system, and my own anatomy tell me when my time is up. I don't need science to extend my life. The will of the mind will also keep me healthy.

Clovie
i did blink

pr1983
i have no problem with cloning organs or body parts, but an entire whole human being i wouldn't agree with. i just believe to copy a person like that is wrong.

Afro Cheese
Without science the human lifespan would be significantly shorter than it is today. Every time you take medicine to cure an illness science is extending your life. Why not try to extend it more?

BackFire
I could care less. They can clone whatever they want. Hell, I wish they'd clone me some hot bitches.

shaber
Wouldn't we be a lot better off if I were cloned in the manner Jango Fett was in Attack of the Clones? Pity the 'ego' smilie is defunct.

yerssot
"Norwegian lesbians that feed me grapes and know how to sing."

-The Bloodhound Gang with the song: Hell Yeah!

Jackie Malfoy
That would be scary shaber!lol!JM

Silver Stardust
In Illinois they just voted down some state resolution (it lost by like 2 votes) that would allow state funding for stem-cell research...erm

Alpha Centauri
Do we really wanna double a bulk of Earth's population?

I think not.

-AC

Imperial_Samura
I still don't quite see the argument behind if we were to get to the stage where humans could be correctly cloned it would be bad because they wouldn't have souls. How could they not? Unless one thinks clones would be like that Sixth Day movie a clone would end up being a distinct individual. Sure, our "soul" is what we are, our personality and so forth, but our personalty develops, grows and is shaped by our life, a clone would be the same. It may have the same genes, but its mind would be distinct. It would not have had our parents, it would not have had our friends, it would be being created in a different world to the one we were born into. I think it would have just as much a "soul" as the rest of us. Unless you could clone memories, which considering the brain is barely understood now, is unlikely.

MornGlory
i dont want anyone that looks like me or acts like me in this world - cloning is bad flex

but if they can clone kidneys, livers, hearts, eye balls, whatever to help save people then thats good! -

but not an entire person

Imperial_Samura
It is theoretically possible to selectively clone organs with out needing to clone a whole body to harvest them from (which ultimately would be quite illegal, a bit like stealing someone kidneys)

MornGlory
but there are organ donors--- and who is to say they (??) cant make some kind of contaier that can "harvest" organs - just like a human -

eleveninches
If they clone individual organs, that is good, as it will save lives.
However, it is bad to clone just to make copies of people, as this will prevent natural evolution. Humans are not perfect, so why bother to make an exact copy of an imperfect human.

Genetic engineering, however, is something entirely different. When they have fullly harnessed genetic engineering, that will be good, but until then.

Imperial_Samura
Technically humanity, in terms of evolution, has slowed down, as we have put our selves above natural selection, being "imperfect" in human society is not a death sentence for ones genes. Likewise there are almost, almost, natural forms of cloning, that of asexual reproduction, which works well for some species with limited long term evolutionary problems.

Capt_Fantastic
Cloning is the future. The answers to so many of our problems will come from stem-cell research and cloning. To deny that is to stick your head in the sand. You can ban it here in America all you want, but some other country will figure it all out, and they will be the new super power some day.

Capt_Fantastic
This is true, we as a species have removed ourselves from nature to the extent that biology no longer shapes us, we shape the world around our biology.

Imperial_Samura
Exactly, evolution is of secondary importance to us, whereas in the normal animal kingdom every generation plays a part sometimes, we as humans have managed to avoid it, we are, in a fashion, heading to unchanging states. True, as medical science imrpoves we remove diseases and the impact of illness, which only adds to the way we don't evolve to meet risks and meet the situation, we invent our way out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.