Nintendo DS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
The new handheld system from Nintendo, the Nintendo DS (dual screen) was released this morning. Who went out and got theirs right away, and what games? What do you think of the included demo of Metroid Prime: First Hunt? What will the future bring for the DS? Discuss.

(note: I looked for another DS thread and the Search Results just gave me the DS vs PSP thread)

I got to Target around 7:55, five minutes before they opened. There were about six other people waiting there... luckily nobody else got up early to go to Target... they all probably went to Gamestop since they probably associate it most with Video Games.... and it opened at 11. I was with a friend, and we opened ours in the store and used the PictoChat, which is pretty cool. I was in awe at the opening cinematic of Metroid Prime: Hunters, since Samus kept switching from screen to screen. The graphics are superb, and the controls feel so comfortable to me. The double screens are also backlit, which is really nice, since I only had the original Game Boy Advance. I also got Super Mario 64 DS, which was on sale for $29. With my employee discount, I saved roughly $20 on the two. Can't wait for games from Square-Enix to premiere on the system.

Morridini
Sounds great. I can't wait till Christmas (then I'll have the cash to buy it). And by the way, Nintendo DS doesn't stand for Dual Screen, it is short for Developer System.

JKozzy
Yep, it's awesome. I figure get the system when they'll actually have it in stock, and get all the games for Christmas. I hope too many younger kids don't get this just because it's new, because you have to have an idea on how to actually work the DS.... they'll end up crying and not knowing how to work it; the target age for the DS was somewhere in the 18-20 year old range said a few websites. Obviously if you're 16 it doesn't mean that they didn't intend for you to buy it... but it surely wasn't built for five year olds to use.

No, it's called Nintendo DS for Nintendo Dual-Screen.

Morridini
Ok so they have changed the meaning of DS now. But if any of u caught the presentation of DS at the E3 show the spokesman told the audience that DS didn't actually stand for Dual-screen but for Developer System.

SaTsuJiN
it seriously stands for dual screen.. the guy must have been trying to make a joke when he said developers system (since i believe 125+ games are in developement for it now).

I plan to get myself a DS someday.. but I have to know if its 'really really' worth it. cuz I bought a gameboy advance SP and now this comes out .. -_- :sigh:

ZomBiE_HunTER
IM about to get it in a couple hours.

Phoenix Aska
I heard rumors that you could see FF advent children on the nintendo DS is it true???

Does anybody know?

JKozzy
I was thinking the same thing.. like "It's the system to develop for "... because it's always meant Dual-screen. If it were a developer's system, it'd probably be more expensive and explicitly say that... developers systems usually one would think is for developing games, and wouldn't have technical gadgets like two screens, etc etc....

When more games come out, the DS will be more than worth it, imho. The graphics are now the best on the market for any handheld, and the multiplayer abilities can be tapped into basically internet gaming at any hot-spot, or any place with a wireless router.The slot where the GBA "Game Paks" go is also said to house any future DS accessories" which could range from wireless gaming adapters to... lots of stuff. But I think that the built-in wireless is sufficent, it just lacks any means of executing it. Perhaps future games will have that built-in.
Better hurry, most stores that opened at 8am were sold out by 11am.

No, it is not true. You're thinking of the PSP, the Playstation Portable. They are developing Advent Children for DVD and UMD (the media that the PSP takes) in the form of a movie. Square-Enix doesn't develop for Nintendo systems; they created a seperate branch of the company to develop Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube and the DS. The rumors you heard are false.

Morridini
EDIT: I started writing this before Jkozzy posted his post.

I just found my copy of a DVD featuring this years E3 to see what it was really said. I'll write what the spokesman said (if not anyone could tell me how to copy that part of the DVD so that I could just upload it, I have no trouble copying the whole DVD but I don't know how to just copy a small part):

Spokesman:" This is Nintendo DS" He shows the DS and people cheers. "From the time we announced it's code name, u have known these initials to represent the most obvious feature - Dual screen. But that's not what the initials stands for to us. DS has a much larger and more relevant meaning. DS - Developer System. In creating DS we have given the world's most talented game makers new tools to work with, new ways to express their imagination, and of course, in the end, new enjoyment for all of us. The result is this. DS not only changes Nintendo, it changes our industry" And then he continue talking for some minutes before they show the first glimpse of the New Zelda game.

So there u go, it was first meant to stand for Developer System.

JKozzy
No, there you go, you just proved yourself wrong.

"From the time we announced it's code name, you have known these initials to represent the most obvious feature - Dual screen. But that's not what the initials stands for to us. DS has a much larger and more relevant meaning. DS - Developer System."

If that's not Nintendo's pun on the initials, I don't know what is. It means Developer System to them, as in it's a system that developers will be able to produce games for, for them. It says that it has a larger meaning, not different words behind the "D" and "S"

(written before the above post was edited by Morridini)

JToTheP
Is Metroid Prime:First Hunt/Hunters just multiplayer? If there is a single player, like Metroid Prime 2:Echoes, I may buy a DS then and buy that game, but I will try to find a pack for this, instead of blowing $150 for the console, and $30-$40 on the game.

JKozzy
It's definately more fixated on the single player aspect, from what I can tell. That's all I've been doing with Hunters, and it's been such a blast, even with the "First Hunt" demo that was packaged in. First Hunt basically is lots of training and shooting, and other stuff of the sort. There is a multiplayer option to it, but I haven't gotten together with my friend yet to play the multiplayer game yet. Graphics that are better than the Nintendo 64 on a handheld, it's something you have to see.

Morridini
Ok then, I may have misinterpreted it. But it could mean that they intended to call it Developer System but since the peopel thought it stood for Dual Screen they then decided that it should stand for Duel Screen

That's not true. U posted that post at 09:28 while I edited it the last time at 09:25.

JKozzy
...no. There is no logic in calling it what it isn't.
That's not true. U posted that post at 09:28 while I edited it the last time at 09:25. I can't see you post in realtime, I was in the process of writing before I saw it. So sorry I didn't phrase it to your satisfaction.

SaTsuJiN
I dont get it though, if it has better graphics than the N64, why does it look all damn pixely in most of the screenshots of in-game that ive been seeing?

Examples :

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920788_20040511_screen004.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920788_20041007_screen002.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/920758_20041119_screen009.jpg

I know mario kart wont be released til september of next year, but the mario screens also offered a bit of pixel play.

JKozzy
Not sure, perhaps the screenshots were from early versions of some games, or the capturing utilities weren't up to par for the DS? That's all I can think of; the graphics are amazing.

Phoenix Aska
heh I knew it....that's what I get for listening to othr people on the forums.....

I thought that was weird that square enix wasa with nintendo....

JKozzy
I have Super Mario 64 DS, and it's nothing like the screen you posted messed

SaTsuJiN
so none of the games so far takes advantage of the infrared link ability?
and picto chat sounds awesome heh

Holcomb
Has anyone else seen that nintendo ds bundle toys r us is offering? It includes like 3 games I think for a good price. I was thinking of getting a ds for my bro now I might have to get one for myself too.

Has anyone else seen this bundle?

Magee
noooo, dont get a ds wait a few months for the psp!!

Sorry no i havnt seen coz i dont live in the US wink Its not out in the uk yet.

JLred
How much is the DS anyways?

gls
$150 with a demo of metroid prime hunters

Holcomb
The one I saw on the toys r us website comes with like 3 games and some other accessories for $299. Might make a good present for someone...like myself!

JLred
$299!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks but no thanks I'll just stick with the DS by itself.

Also will it have its own games or can it play gameboy games too?

JKozzy
No infrared that I know of yet...

JKozzy
I wouldn't get the package, it sounds like they're games I'd rather not have. I definately wouldn't be saving money on that deal.

JLred
Will it have its own games or can it play gameboy games too?

JLred
What do you all mean its intended for 18-20 yrs. of age? WHat about 13? I really wanted to get it. Can someone tell me all the feautures please?!?!?!

JKozzy
You can get it, but the intended marketing campaign was for the older crowd, because of its complexity and price. Six year olds that try to use the DS and may cry or just not like it.

SaTsuJiN
I'll prolly get DS after the first price drop.. I dont play handheld much so im not killing myself

JKozzy
I don't normally play much handheld stuff, but I think the DS might change it... some really good games are coming out, and sad as it is, I don't have an N64... so I never had Super Mario 64 or Goldeneye, both of which are out or coming out for the DS... so this is really good for me. smile Perfect Dark has also been rumored as a port, or a new game. Not sure, though.

JLred
Can it play Gameboy Advance Games is the big question for me!!!

I had my eye on Yu-Yu-Hakusho the new one for a while

ZomBiE_HunTER
I doubt thats going to happen because Rare owns Golden Eye and Perfect Dark.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Go to this site http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-11722-1231-x-x-x.Itll tell you all the features and dont worry about the age thing its for ages so chill. cool

JKozzy
Yes, GBA games only. No GB or GBC.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/goldeneye/index.html <= Goldeneye announced for DS.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I'll beleive when i see at least a screenshot.

JLred
So Itll play the new YuYuHakusho game right?!?!?!?

JLred
It has Clock w/alarm, touch screen, PictoChat

OH MY GOD THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I so want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!
But deep inside of me I wonder deeply on what the hell is pictochat?

ZomBiE_HunTER
U can draw pictures and send tehn to ur freinds and chat with them in a chat room.

JLred
Wow!!!
Wow!!!
Thats the greatest thing ever!!!!!
AHHHH!!!
America will get the DS before Japan
If it's true thats awesome!!!!!
If it isn't it's still awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

JKozzy
America already has the DS. I already have the DS. It's been out since Sunday.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Same here.

Tex
My little bro has been saving his pennies for a DS; I'll play it when he's at school! evil face

I cant wait for the new Mario(s) to make it onto DS.

JKozzy
Super Mario 64 DS is awesome, can't wait for the others that are inevitably going to be released.

Do I smell Super Smash Bros. (Melee?) port? big grin That would be welcomed.

Tex
I want an original Mario created just for the DS! thumb up

JKozzy
Well, who doesn't? It'll probably be out early next year... hopefully. Nice sig and avvy, Tex cool thumb up

ZomBiE_HunTER
I love tyhe ds and Mario 64 the only thing that im dissapointed about is that the good games aint cuming out till next year. sad

Robo-Chocobo
hey is the urbz and good? i am really only considering that and the mario game....until metroid

Tex
Why thank you! embarrasment

sith_darth_jay
I can start by saying I HATE NINTENDO

i hated N64 , and it's games, except a few, so why buy it. all nintendo do is re-release old games, and focus on handheld cuz it's the only thing that give them money. it might be directed to an older market (yeah right!!!), but most of the sells it'll have will be from parents trying to please they little kids.

so mario again...... but it looks better..... cuz the screen is smaller!!, play any game in a small screen and you'll see how better it looks (i do that when playing N64 games in my PC).

pictochat it's like so old, but good thing they're finally bringing it to america.

personally i will wait for PSP, at least it'll have original new games, not some fancy remake.

....time will tell which one sells the most

JLred
Yeah but it has TWO screens not one TWO. I was using a demo at EB games and playing the Samus Demo and it was awesome especially the touch screen and how it shows two different views on the two seperate screens.It sucks for me since my mom said I cant get it 'til Christmas or my birthday which is two days before Christmas. sad

ZomBiE_HunTER
if u hate Nintendo so much then start another thread saying u hate it .

sith_darth_jay
No, I won't.........................

why would I?

I hate the company, and N64, and since the DS is an attempt to bring back N64, I'm sceptical as to how good of a console it is.

I love Snes, I have so many good memories of that console, but I was a kid back then. Let's just say that now I realized what kind of company is nintendo.

and what they think we are, some kind of money puking machines?
they release a console like every 2 years, even less. I remember that the DS was suppose to be an accessory for GC, not a console, GBA SP had just came out, and then they announced DS as the new hand held console..........yeah rrrite!!!

ZomBiE_HunTER
You talk too much shit.

sith_darth_jay
I will respond to that insightful post in the most polite way I can

stick out tongue FANBOY!!!!

I'm not in the mood to get in an argument, so please have more respect for other's opinions.

JLred
How do you use Pictochat anyways?
I wanna know before I get it

ZomBiE_HunTER
whatever

Tex

JLred
Can anyone answer my question!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

ZomBiE_HunTER
go to that site i posted.Itll tell u everything about it.

JLred
ok thanks......ummmm.....again!

ZomBiE_HunTER
HAs anybody beat Super Mario Ds yet?

AMN Inc
That's EA's imitation game which simply has GoldenEye in its title to trick people into thinking it's connected to Rare's GoldenEye 007. Quite pathetic really.

SaTsuJiN
yep.. only rare can do a good goldeneye...

I wish perfect dark zero wasnt all stupid and anime-cutesy looking.. I hope its a joke even

Unholy_Cheese
I wish they made a mario game where he gets a Plasma rifle or something like that. He needs some fire weapons.

sith_darth_jay
I don't think that's gonna happen. All he gets its a water hose

Unholy_Cheese
Wet his enemies?

Magee
I agree totaly with darth jay about the ds. Sure two screens, wow! Now we have two view of our character (wats the point?). Graphics r nothing to hold ur breathe at and the ds is just another way for nintendo to try and make money. I am waiting for the psp to come out, a real hand held console.

Stealth Agent
They're making old good games better. I LOVED Mario 64 on Nintendo 64, but no one plays 64 anymore. They're making it better and portable, with revoloutinary features like picto chat/ touch screen/ cordless multiplayer/ it'll will be even better when they release info about hot spots, so you can play people across the world.
So its not just a gimmick to make some money, call me a fanboy i dont care. Ive haven't bought a nintendo product in atleast 4 years, I had the orignal gameboy for about a month b4 i tossed it i have no gamecube, i didnt even have N-64 i used a friends, im not a fanboy just pointing out some facts. smart

Stealth Agent
He does need sum but the only ppl that sell them are koopa's and mario has already beat so many Koopa's ass's none of them are gonna give up a plasma rifle to him.
It'd be really cool to have like a third person action adventure game with mario and a large asernal of weapons.

Red Superfly
Last time I checked, Sony are also selling the PSP for (get this!) MONEY!

What do you think companies sell products for? Cocunuts?

ZomBiE_HunTER
I agree with you alot and there also cuming with other games asides remakes.

Robo-Chocobo
WITH +2 HOURS OF BATTERY LIFE!!!! OH YAH!!!!!

ZomBiE_HunTER
LOL laughing

Magee
Listen. If the GC wasnt such a dissapointment the DS would have never been made. And if Sony hadnt announced the psp i also highly doubt they would have made the DS. The DS will be exactly like the GC.... In time we will see.

Realy thats not wat i heard but let me fill u in on the psp. At its thickest its about 23mm and it weighs about 260g. It has dual shock control, and an analouge stick. Its widescreen, the graphics can easily be compared to that of the ps2 and a USB 2.0 for hardware and peripherals, ye know digital camera, headphones/mic remote commander, keyboard and probably gps device. Also a memory stick port for storing data game saves but u can store music, movies and other things ( evil face ) And of course u can download via its WI FI network connectivity turning it into an online gaming machine enabling u to play people all over the world and infrared for people in the same room.

I dont know how pixel chat, touch screen and N64 graphics can compare with that

ZomBiE_HunTER
Its not even out yet and ur saying all this stuff.

Holcomb
Not sure if it plays gameboy games or not.

I dunno, it's not that expensive considering all you get. Just depends what kind of games you're looking for I guess.

sith_darth_jay
yes, all they want is money, but it's not like they realease 6 consoles since 1995.

like I said we'll have to see which one it's better when PSP comes out

JKozzy
I must say that 6 consules is a bit much, however some were handheld and some weren't... but the Game Boy Color, I feel, was a rip. The SP improved upon the GBA, but it would've been nice for the original GBA to include backlit gameplay. A ploy for money, or just stupidity? There are many arguments either way.

white_wolfy
I've heard some thoughts like mine, the only real reason I don't like Nintendo as much as Microsoft Studios and the like, is that Nintendo seems like a real money stealer and especcially since it targets the younger buyers (we know they do! colourful graphics and younger ratings) like come on, why do they realease a fricking 50 systems and their famed "poke me mom" has like 50 releases also... and they all come out relativly close. Microsoft has few game systems, all good quality and they add features and such (plays music, can play dvds, awsome games, XBOX live...) instead of putting new systems costing 100's on the market.

Thats my personal view on the subject and Master Chief kicks Samus Arans ass!

JKozzy
Microsoft has ONE game system. MS Studios was fine on PC, but I don't think they belong in the consule market. PSone outsold them during the 2002 holiday season. I see no games of any considerable desire that have been released on Xbox, at all. Halo is also available for PC, and eventually, Halo 2 will be. PS2 and PS1 could play music, PS2 can play DVDs, without a scam of $30 for one to "unlock" the DVD functionality. I also agree that Pokemon has too many games, but that's Japan hard at work, trying to suck kids with no brains in, not Nintendo of America. But it's not like they do anything to stop them. Sure, Xbox may statistically have the best graphics, but graphics does not equal a quality gaming experience. The controller is greatly overrated, and the "Controller S" was a very smooth way to slowly kill their sad excuse for a controller when the system launched.

And Metroid has been around longer than Halo, so my personal view is that I've found Metroid to be a tad bit more enjoyable than Halo.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I wasnt talking to you.

Magee
lol try picking up a games magazine that hasnt reviewed/played the psp.

Walfredo
The screen shots of the PSP in EGM are kinda weak? Does that trouble anyone else?

General Kaliero
So, try finding all the facts before arguing next time, yes?

ZomBiE_HunTER
I picked up one that actully have played the psp and they that the games that were playable at TGS are pretty much Ps2 games.

sith_darth_jay
dude, what's up with you???

you're taking this way to personally. I was just quoting you, that doesn't mean your talking to me or my post is directed to you.

so, please RELAX!!!

G kaliero> you do have a point when you say that a console is for games.
but just like Jkozzy said "graphics does not equal a quality gaming experience". DS may have better graphics, but just like in the past PS1 (32 bits) kicked Nintendo's butt (64 bits), it might happen again.

everything else you said, I agree.

General Kaliero
I agree concerning the graphics, give me a 2D RPG over a graphics-laden no-story shoot-em-up any day.

It's just that many here seem to think that better graphics automatically means better games. So I'm giving out the facts.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I was messing wit u. Happy Dance Happy Dance

Robo-Chocobo
"the PSP is JUST ABOUT the mid-point between the PS1 and the PS2. "

I belive thats called: A dreamcast. LOL big grin

"It has dual shock control, and an analouge stick. Its widescreen, the graphics can easily be compared to that of the ps2 and a USB 2.0 for hardware and peripherals, ye know digital camera, headphones/mic remote commander, keyboard and probably gps device. Also a memory stick port for storing data game saves but u can store music, movies and other things. And of course u can download via its WI FI network connectivity turning it into an online gaming machine enabling u to play people all over the world and infrared for people in the same room."

Why the hell does a HANDHELD console need a keyboard? Infared? wow the next big step in gaming, wireless...bah...who needs it.

btw, do you have any idea how much BATTERY POWER it takes to have dual shock rumble, dreamcast graphics, music, A Gps? and lets not forget...A KEYBOARD.

2 HOURS BATTERY LIFE YAH!!!

ZomBiE_HunTER
I want a psp but at the same time im really scare that itll end up just like the PSX.Which isnt a very good thing

Robo-Chocobo
anyone else remember all the countless handhelds that were annihilated by the gameboy and it's F**** awsome battery life?

Gamegear: dead
linx:dead
neo geo pocket :dead
n-gage: terminally ill.
nomad:dead
wonderswan&wonderswan color:dead

I dont see how the psp will be totally different

sith_darth_jay
oh ok big grin cool

what do you mean ended up like PS1, you mean it's lifetime or something different?

well, now it looks like everyone it's taking it with magee, he was just given out the PSP stats. don't be so hard.

personally I don't care about accessories, that's something Nintendo capitalize on (expansion pak?). all I want and I need is games, and a console that plays them without having to spend another 150.

Nintendo has the supremacy when it comes to Hand-held, it was what kept them alive after failing with N64. they pretty much got back up on their feet with GC, but they must've freaked out when Sony announce PSP. I love my gameboy advance (the first one) but I'll buy the PSP before ever buying the DS, of course if I had enough money I'd buy them both.

Robo-Chocobo
N64? Failed? I dont seem to remember anything about it Failing? If it had failed it would have collapsed in 2 years like the dreamcast.

If it had failed it would have never made some of the best games ever.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Not Ps1 the Psx how they say the the Psx was going to have all these features and when it came out they took out lik half of the things that it was supppose to have.

Darth Maverick
is it true the PSP will hav a MP3 player on it?

General Kaliero
I have heard no such thing. It plays UMDs, it can hold data on memory sticks, but I doubt the PSP will do MP3s. You'll just buy UMDs like you would CDs.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Yes you will be able to play Mp3 on the Psp.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/14/news_6110555.html

JKozzy
My Sony Clie (Palm Pilot) has a slot for memory sticks, and that can play MP3's, so I doubt it'd be any trouble to incorporate MP3 playback on the PSP since it uses memory sticks anyway...

JKozzy
Try the complete opposite of failing, I'd have to say besides the PS1, that it was the most successful consule ever...

Robo-Chocobo
at least b4 the 128 bit era

Robo-Chocobo
btw today I was reading about the psp and I just realised something: disc read.

WIth cd based items, the psp will constantly have to be reading the disc, MASSIVELY SUCKING BATTERY LIFE!!!

I dont care if a handheld rocks. if it only has 2 hours of battery life, then its in the garbage.

sith_darth_jay
well I guess I exaggerate a bit. Let's just say that it barely lived up to Nintendo expectations. N64 lasted 4 years, then it was cut short so abruptly. many games (and good games i might add) weren't released and were postponed for Dolphin (yeah you can say they did that because they wanted to give the customer a better gaming experience...yeah rite). while PSX and PS1 lasted something like 6 or more, nintendo was obliged to linger only on Gameboy sells. I remember reading a Nintendo Magazine and it was all about Gameboy games, and some kids asking for Goldeneye cheats, and one or two speculations surrounding Dolphin. that lasted for about a year. one time they printed an article "ten reason to chose nintendo" because they were pretty much beat when talking about which console was better

There was an article I read in Newsweekly or some other magazines, about next gen consoles. It talked about the Dreamcast, and PS2, and how nintendo had to rely on gameboy (with a sells chart or something like that), waiting to came out with a new console.

so that's why I said it failed. wink

sith_darth_jay
I couldn't edit my post but there's something i wanna add.

nintendo lost many customers that had indeed grow up and weren't interested on kiddie games anymore. take Conker for example, that game sucked @$$: "look he has a cute little had, ohhh, and his hat changes whenever his in a different world saving his lil' friends whistle laughing ". Of course, all that changed with Conker's Bad Fur Day, but they realized of their mistake way too late.

well, that's true but still was a good console.

pretty much like Snes, most of its accessories were pure crap, but it still remains as one of the best consoles ever

ZomBiE_HunTER
Psx was the biggest dissapointment EVER!!!!!Because it was suppose to be 10 times better then the Ps2 and came out and it just died.

Robo-Chocobo
?? what are you even talking about?

first off, I didnt even SEE a psx in stores. testament to how bad it was.

secondly, what the hell are you even TALKING ABOUT?

I didnt even know Conker had a game other than the N64 one. Unless that game boy game actually came out. btw, conker was made by Rare, you twit. I'm sure nintendo decided they need a british foul mouth squirrel to change public image.

your pulling up pretty obscure stuff to use as proof that it's a kiddy console.

in fact, your whole argument is pretty obscure.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Ur talking to Sith right?

JKozzy
The PSX wasn't even released in America; it did too poorly in Japan. An udder waste of time and money. Where do you get the impression that it would be "ten times better than PS2"? It IS a PS2, only with a TiVo and DVD burner built in. And it's white. Woo...

ZomBiE_HunTER
It has more features then that
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/15/news_6107540.html

JKozzy
Yes, I know there are, and I've seen that... the article is several months old. There is nothing else spectacular worth mentioning from it, though. It's a pathetic ploy for money, is what it is. That, and a distraction until the PS3. The features are so minute and insignificant, they're not even worth discussing.

Samas-adian
N64 was not a failure. Although it didnt outsell PS1, it still sold very well. It had its problem (controller and lack of 3rd party games) it still was good.
It was a tough console (bought it once, never had to buy another one) unlike the PS1 (how many times have people bought the same console because it broke. It also had the best software for that time period. So i dont think its failure.

ZomBiE_HunTER
No Shit.

Robo-Chocobo
yes I was.

JLred
Hmmmmmmm uhhhhh.......whoah..........wow.....

sith_darth_jay
ok first off: I wasn't aware of PSX (a new version of PS2), I always knew the first PlayStation as PSX, then the smaller version call PS1. Playstation was never PS1 cuz there wasn't a PS2 at the time. PS2 was suppose to have the code name PSY. what I meant about PSX (PlayStation 1) being a good console was short statement, given the fact that it outsold N64 and remains a great console.

you never see PSX in Stores? cuz it never made here. just like N64 DD (disk drive) it had only like 4 games and it was a complete TITANIC, it sank on it first sail. only released in Japan. Did you know that???(BTW I'm pretty sure you know what Dolphin is, right?)

Second: Conker was made by Rare (same company that ended nearly destroying Donkey Kong after doing so well in Snes) but who the hell did you think was in control of them; Nintendo!!!. they only made games for them at the time. and in case you didn't know it Conker was supposed to be a game pretty much like Banjoo Kazooie, only more stupid and child like (does The Teletubbies ring a bell?). like I said, the console was going down hill, so they changed the game completely, going another direction (imitating South Park). now who's the twit???. If you don't believe me, search for any information about it, I'm sure you'll find it. what I posted about the hat is an example of it .
as far as I know, there was a Conker game for Gameboy Color, and I think it was released, although I'm not so sure. I can't say anything about that game cuz I never saw it.
and most people I know agreed that N64 was kiddy console.but that's just them, right???

you see, I do have how to support my post and my opinion, I was wrong about the PSX cuz I didn't know about it, but everything else is right. If you disagree, It's ok. but my argument is not, in anyway, obscure.

Samas-adian
Who gives a shit if the N64 was a "kiddie console." Generally i have alot better time play "kiddie" games than mature games.
For every Mario 64 or Zelda, theres 10 Resident Evil - GTA ripoffs that blow balls.

Robo-Chocobo
http://www.64dd.net/index.php?page=3

try goin there, and maybe you will learn something.

and it had 9 games, and several unreleased ones, INCLUDING a finished legend of Zelda game, that was slated for the 64 dd."Did you know that?"

it was released in 1999/2000. it had origally been slated for a 1996/97 release. but after cartride memory improved so dramatically, there was no need for it.

Finally, a decent explanation why the gamecube had such a dismal online plan. the 64 dd had an online feature, but it crashed and burned, hence why nintendo is afraid of online.

ZomBiE_HunTER
The site doesnt work.

sith_darth_jay
you just proved my point.

I knew everything about N64DD, what am I suppose to learn from that site?: that it had the astonishing quantity of 9 games: 4 of them were Marios and one was an expansion (F-Zero), and that game about the GIANT BANANA (I don't know anything about that game so I can't say if its bad or not), a golf game, and several others never released.
what about the Zelda game, Was it released???

If you didn't get it : YES I knew That!!!!

but did you now about Conker???

both PSX and N64DD are just what Jkozzy said "It's a pathetic ploy for money, is what it is."

BTW: I don't have anything against GameCube or Zelda

Samas-adian> kiddie games are Ok as long as they're fun, it just that nintendo really got a lot a people tired of them, they'd say something like: "if you want violence in your TV, just watch the news". but then they have the HYPOCRISY of turning a kiddie character into a Rambo wannabe smile

ok, I'm getting kinda tired of this. Let's just drop it please wink

zombie hunter> the link works

JKozzy
Yes, the link does work. If it still doesn't work, go to the root URL: http://www.64dd.net/

JKozzy
And with that, back on-topic we go to the Nintendo DS!

Anyone been noticing the extreme shortage of DS systems lately? My Target got about 50 in, and we sold them all within the first day, and never had another shipment since 11/21. This just may re-create the PS2 launch a few years ago; it will be very hard to find the system anywhere due to underproduction, or just very small shipments.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I already heard it once i dont need to hear it again.Its hapening again with the ps2

eleveninches
any news on a UK release date?

JLred
I got a Nintendo DS!!!!!!!!! eek! rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance
And a Super Mario game and a kit for $199. Pretty good deal. smokin' Happy Dance Happy Dance
But I cant play it 'til X-Mas.
I wanna play it!!!!!!!!! sad mad
Ill find a way evil face evil face

ZomBiE_HunTER
Thats so much BS

rajah kalantiaw
marketing strategy. create a shortage, create a demand. when people start buzzing about how hard it is to get one, the first thought would be "that system is kick ass! why else would it be sold out everywhere?" after the initial "shortage" the demand of the system will have great impact on sales. isn't corporate america peachy? happy

SaTsuJiN
Thats possible.. but unlikely due to how popular each nintendo handheld is... or you could be a sony fanboy attempting to persue the downfall of all handheld-dom

rajah kalantiaw
yes. i am a sony fan boy. i was sent here to destroy all things nintendo. you have caught me.

JKozzy
No it's not... that's legit messed

eleveninches
When is it out in the UK?

dark1365
Your parents, eh? Be sure to tell me what new worlds there are. I want to buy one, but I don't have money right now. And my parents sure as hell are not going to spend $200 on a christmas present.

Martial_artist
We can't get it until April 2005! Awww sad Grrrr!

I really want one and I want one NOW! I love consoles and video games! (I'm a girl!)

dark1365
You're the 11th girl that I've met that likes video games. Wish there were more out there.

SaTsuJiN
pff.. do you believe everyone that says they're a girl lol..
I dont buy it til I see it... but I do know there are a fair share of girl gamers. But from playing 3 MMoRPG's.. I know bettah...

as for tekken 5.. it should probably not be released.. I recommend taking the characters (because those are still decent) and putting them all in a new tournament situation with a whole new control scheme and different story (the new story wiill obviously declare heihachi dead for christs sake.. and kazuya will be too since he's already a friekin corpse, bury the hatchet and move on with thier lives). at least thats my personal wish for the tekken series

Martial_artist
I wish there were too, most girls just can't use a controller, it's not exactlly hard is it.

A few people know I like games but some people didn't and they thought it was a joke when I challenged one of them.

He laughed but by the time I had won I was just smiling - the look of his face - priceless laughing

He's a good friend of mine smile

Well you could have a look at my avatar or click my name and see my gender, but if that's still not enough then my name is Dominique - I have long hair, blue eyes, wear glasses...but I might as well be a boy because I don't like girly things (the colour pick makes me twitch, hair styles...forget it! Dress and skirts!!! NO WAY!!

sith_darth_jay
I've never met a girl who plays videogames big grin (I know like two but I've never met them in person)

no skirts!!!!!!.... why not?

roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

so.... what games are scheduled to be released???? (besides re-makes)

justinday15
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith!

Robo-Chocobo
these are all the games. many more on the way.
Asphalt Urban GT
Feel the Magic: XY/XX
Madden NFL 2005
Metroid Prime: Hunters (demo bundled with the DS)
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
Ping Pals
PictoChat (built-in)
Rayman DS
Ridge Racer DS
Spider-Man 2
Super Mario 64 DS
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
The Urbz: Sims in the City

The first-party offerings for the system's launch will include Super Mario 64 DS, a translation of the Nintendo 64 classic; a playable demo of the upcoming Metroid game, Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt; and PictoChat, multiplayer-enabled Mario Kart game, the full version of Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, WarioWare Inc. DS, Animal Crossing DS, Yoshi's Touch & Go, Advance Wars DS,new Super Mario Bros. game. Nintendo-published games can be expected to retail for as low as $29.99.
third party
Madden NFL 2005, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf, and The Urbz: Sims in the City GoldenEye: Rogue Agent and Need for Speed Underground
Spider-Man 2 at launch and follow up with an unnamed title that is described as "major."
PIng pals,
Sega will offer Feel the Magic: XY/XX at launch and follow up with Puyo Pop Fever.

Robo-Chocobo
Ubisoft will release Rayman DS, Asphalt Urban GT, and Sprung.
Namco will present Ridge Racer DS ,
Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits later on. Also coming later: Capcom will present an entry in the Viewtiful Joe franchise; Hudson Soft will bring Bomberman to the platform; Konami's Frogger will make an appearance; and Square Enix will offer a Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles title.

Also announced at the Japanese press conference today was that Square Enix will be bringing a remake of Final Fantasy III to the DS. The only Final Fantasy title to never be remade and never make it out of Japan, FFIII is considered one of the most intricate role-playing games ever designed for the Famicom. It was originally scheduled to be remade on the WonderSwan portable years ago, but the project was cancelled when Square stopped supporting the system. A North American release for Final Fantasy III DS was not confirmed.

"DS provides a roadmap to the future of video games," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "The overwhelming support of strong third-party titles, combined with Nintendo's flagship franchise, makes this the strongest software support for any Nintendo system in more than a decade."

The release also touched on some of the ways in which these DS games will take advantage of the hardware's unique functionality. Madden NFL 2005 will show all 22 players on the field in one screen and use the second screen to display "key action." The game will also let players compete head-to-head wirelessly. Super Mario 64 DS will offer head-to-head wireless battling, new touch-sensitive minigames, and "innovative control options."

Robo-Chocobo
In the first 30 days after the system's launch, there will be roughly 10 to 12 games in a variety of genres. By the end of Q1 2005, the library will be at roughly 20 to 25 games. There are more than 120 games currently in development for the system around the world. In addition, due to the system's backward-compatibility with the Game Boy Advance via the DS' second cartridge port, the system will allow gamers to play more than 550 existing GBA games.

Samas-adian
You just got owned buddy.

Dogbert
Rayman!? Who cares... go Morrowind and Doom III

Martial_artist
Rayman is good smile

You've got to be joking! I just don't like them! I just perfere plain old trousers - call me boring but that's what I like wearing - with a t-shirt

SaTsuJiN
lol.. that comment wasnt 'entirely' directed at you... but there are alot of so called "girl gamers" that just use thier cuteness to get over on boys and get free rare items in most role playing games. Like I said there 'are' girl gamers, but most of them are just boys looking for free stuff.

as for DS.. Im starting to consider getting mario 64 ds @_@

Morridini
Hey, does anyone happen to know the max capacity for the DS cartridges?

Martial_artist
I haven't heard of girls using their cuteness to get free items in roleplaying....what items do you mean? What are you talking about?

So what do the boys do, pretend to be cute girls to be greedy? laughing

ZomBiE_HunTER
Its a little more then 1 gig.

Morridini
One gig Bit or Byte (I assume byte, but just to be sure).

ZomBiE_HunTER
Byte

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>