Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ElectricBugaloo
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6596661/500songs?pageid=rs.News&pageregion=single2

Mr Zero
Oh - I see, what they mean is "top 500 pop/rock charted singles"

Bullshit, as usual.

ElectricBugaloo
Yes, Bob Dylan being the top song is bullshit.

Mr Zero
I've got nothing against dylan - but "song" doesnt mean"hit single" The top 500 songs in the world a) arent all chart singles and b) arent all in english.

That said - The top 50 does have my all time fave single ever in it so I cant complain too loudly.

Dr. Strangelove
Eminem "Lose yourself" at 166.shitshit

Outkast "Hey Ya" at 180 beating a Beatles song.shitshit

lil bitchiness
It makes me laugh because Eminem and Dr Dre made it to the list!

Who makes those lists, thats just a load of poo, simply because you cant group all songs ever created into a top 500. Every genre should have its own list.

Its shit, because im pretty sure many people would disgree that Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan is greatest song of all time.

lil bitchiness
Having said that, thre is a really really good Greek song that should probably be on one of those ''top 500 songs'' lists.

Oh and my fave is not on there either...blast!

ElectricBugaloo
It's the first track off Highway 61 Revisited (one of the best albums of all time) and has Dylan's typical great poetic style of writing.

The eminem track is important because it is the first rap (stfu about 'rap not being a genre'--no one cares) song to win an oscar. The only two in the top ten i really disagree with are Satisfaction and Smells Like Teen Spirit. Other than that, I don't think you can find a more perfectly written or sung song than What's Going On. Hey Jude is my choice for best pop song ever. Imagine--what bad thing can you say about it?

And you know what type of songs you are going to get from Rolling STone. If you want a different take, look for Devil In The Woods magazine or Punk Planet or other indie mags. This is going to be mainstream singles, because it is Rolling Stone. Though PAvement did make it on the list...

Mr Zero
Do you honestly want to hear me rip that song apart - because im primed and ready to do so.....

Mr Zero
Hey Lb, if you can guess what my fave song in the top 50 is i'll come round and bathe your feet in oils.*

*Not legally binding, cannot be exchanged for goods of equal value, terms and conditions apply.

lil bitchiness
I'll have a look into it. Im still reading Kafka too. I havent forgotten.

lil bitchiness
Wait, is that the top 50, or the top 500?

SlipknoT
Its offensive that Eminem was before AC/DC and Black Sabbath. that list is so full of shit.

furryman
there's a whole ten pages!

lil bitchiness
Arent you observent JEZus...

ElectricBugaloo
No Stevie Wonder til #74..then to 261...only 3 total songs, and Living For The City nowhere to be found. Oh well.

moonwalker741
i never even heard that dylan song.....and green day is not even on the list, screw this list...i'm going home

Alpha Centauri
Hasn't anyone found it suspicious that the winning song and runner up band are the "Like a ROLLING STONE" and "The ROLLING STONEs" respectively?

I'm waiting for SPIN's top 500.

1) "You SPIN me right round"-Dead Or Alive.
2) "SPINning around"-Kylie Minogue.

-AC

moonwalker741
laughing you have a good point though

Alpha Centauri
It's scary to believe that Rolling Stone may very well be THAT far up their own rectums.

-AC

MornGlory
most of it was crap - where was Oasis and their stupid Wonderwall song

sorry not enough TOOL in that list to satisfy you

Alpha Centauri
If you were referring to me, then no there wasn't.

Doesn't change the fact that most of the list was shit though does it? I may not even put Tool first, I would put them in the top 5 however.

Any top anything in music that doesn't include Tool, Maynard, Chris Cornell or anything to do with Mike Patton in the top echelons of the list, to me isn't a top musical list. They must be judging on antiquity and reputation rather than talent, impact and innovation.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
Yeah, because Bob Dylan never innovated anything. Nor did John Lennon or Marvin Gaye. Saying that a Tool song is better than What's Get It On, Baba O'Riley (which was laughably in the 300s) or Good Vibrations? Laughable--all were so different than what was heard before in a way that Tool never was.

To say that tool or Chris Cornell are more talented than The Who or John Lennon?? Laughable.

MornGlory
i agree with you electricbug... knew someone could say that it in a good way

BackFire
Boooooo @ that list

ElectricBugaloo
Look people, you know what kind of music is going to dominate a Rolling Stone list--it's going to be Sixties and Seventies music mostly. They were told to vote for songs from the "Rock and Roll" era--and the best songs of the rock and roll era (mid-50s to present day) were probably written back in the day before the record labels micromanaged music to shit.

You know which bands the critics and musicians themselves (that was the panel who chose the songs) consider the greatest, and so don't be surprised that if your band is not among those, your songs aren't on there. In other words: calm the **** down, if you expected Tool, Metallica, Black Sabbath or Green Day to dominate the list, then go to Alternative Press magazine.

MornGlory
Metallica had one song - (enter sandman) but not their greatest song -- I like that video though.. it scared me when it came out

was Green Day even on there

and most of those are songs on the list are influencial -- maybe in another 10 yrs - Tool and other bands of (2000 era) will probably be on that... but by then you will have moved on to other music ppl

Silver Stardust
MornGlory...what do you have against Tool and us Tool fans?

Hmm...lots of good songs on that list...but definitely some of them made me think "WTF were they smoking?!" I mean...what are Outkast and Eminem doing on there at ALL, let alone placed where they were? "Bitter Sweet Symphony" was on there, though...I loved that song...after reading through the whole list, I'd have to say that over all it's pretty sucky. Of course none of my favorites are on there...but hey, Nirvana in the top ten...that's pretty f*cking awesome I think.

And no one can tell me that Tool, Nine Inch Nails, and RATM shouldn't be on there if goddamn Eminem is.

MornGlory
nothing against Tool - promise ... down

ElectricBugaloo
I'll say it one last time: look at which magazine this is. They worship Eminem and Outkast, of course they are going to make it.

Silver Stardust
You just seem to complain about how we talk about them a ton...that's all...

And I still think it's utter bullshit that Eminem and Outkast were on that list...sick

ElectricBugaloo
Outkast's new stuff shouldn't have made it, but some of their old stuff was brilliant. As I said before, I only have two real gripes with the top ten: Satisfaction as #2 and Smells Like Teen Spirit in the top 10 at all.

Alpha Centauri
"Yeah, because Bob Dylan never innovated anything. Nor did John Lennon or Marvin Gaye."

Yeah because I said they weren't innovative didn't I? Jeez. I did actually name those names and label then non-innovative didn't I? Yeaaaah.

"Saying that a Tool song is better than What's Get It On, Baba O'Riley (which was laughably in the 300s) or Good Vibrations? Laughable--all were so different than what was heard before in a way that Tool never was.

To say that tool or Chris Cornell are more talented than The Who or John Lennon?? Laughable."

And to think, I get told that I don't like it when people don't agree with me.

I respect that you view the bands you like as some kind of Gods compared to Tool, however, saying that comparing Tool to those bands is even more laughable than saying they are comparable.

I agree, they did stuff so different to the bands before them and had a CRITICAL role in making music what it is today and influencing bands today, Tool included. However, the DIFFERENCE between the music of The Who etc and bands before them is much less different than that of Tool and the people who came before. They came out in 92 at the peak of the "Grunge" revolution with an album way before it's time yet viewed as a flawed masterpiece and admittedly not on the level of their other albums. However in 1996 they produced "Aenima" which now, in 2004-05, most bands still haven't even come close to even dreaming of matching. In 01 they produced an album which was a leap into the beyond musically and lyrically that even surpassed "Aenima".

Like I said I respect your musical opinion coz you love amazing amazing bands and artists from what I've seen.

However just because I choose to realise the bands that WERE are no longer the bands that ARE, is no bad thing. When you decide to realise than between the time The Who and The Beatles ended, there have been far better, maybe you'll start respecting opinions a little more. Just because a group of bands advance music in a way that was huge and a way that you loved and it didn't stay that way, or bands didn't stick to it, you appear to be pissed from what I can see. Well that's called evolution and it's what music is about. If The Beatles were here today and you put "Sgt Peppers..." or "The White Album" next to "Lateralus" or "Aenima", I think The Beatles themselves would realise what album is the superior musical journey.

The only reason why Tool aren't acknowledge for doing more in the way of bringing music forward than those bands is for one reason only. Where Tool have taken music, alot of people are not capable of reaching or perceiving that point yet. People could immediately identify with The Who or The Beatles coz their main aim was to evolve music WITH everyone. Tool and bands like them (the few) have evolved music to a level where people capable of reaching it, can. And there are many many many people capable of doing so, you being more than capable of doing so yourself yet you obviously either don't choose to or don't want to for fear of finding something better than bands of old. That's from what I see, my opinion.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
I agree, they did stuff so different to the bands before them and had a CRITICAL role in making music what it is today and influencing bands today, Tool included. However, the DIFFERENCE between the music of The Who etc and bands before them is much less different than that of Tool and the people who came before.

Unless, of course, you look at those bands that actually influenced Tool like Mahavishnu Orchestra (who did Tool's tempo changes much better than Tool does themselves), Black Sabbath, and to a point even Rush.

The Who were different and insanely revolutionary with the unparalleled drumming of a young Keith Moon, the unparallelled bass-work of Entwistle and the VERY underrated work of Daltry. Not to mention Townshend's very serviceable guitarmanship.

The Beatles influences went from being their predecessors to their contemporaries. Pet Sounds pushed The Beatles to make Abbey Road, an album that has not been equalled yet, now 35 years after the fact. Their THIRD SONGWRITER wrote "WHile My Guitar GEntly Weeps" and "Here Comes The Sun", two songs which bands would give an arm to create.

Maynard himself paid tribute to Lennon and Gaye on eMOTIVe (even though he butchered What's Going On..).

Alpha Centauri
"The Beatles influences went from being their predecessors to their contemporaries. Pet Sounds pushed The Beatles to make Abbey Road, an album that has not been equalled yet, now 35 years after the fact."

This isn't a fact. I thought someone with an intellect such as yours should be able to differentiate between fact and opinion. It's no fact coz I don't believe it is an album without equal. I believe it has many things that have equalled and surpassed it on many levels. Sorry if that is hard to accept but that's what we call formulating your own opinion.

Paying tribute doesn't mean you're bowing down and saying those bands are better than you are. Mike Patton covered "Easy" by Lionel Richie, doesn't make LR better.

-AC

MornGlory
GRIPE??? what are you talking about -and how can you said I "gripe" a "TON" - when I only mentioned it briefly (once or twice??) at the beginning of this thread to Alpha C... because I know they like Tool -- and they were going to say something about Tool not being on the 500.. list... blah blah blah

ok now leave me alone....

MornGlory
ok one other thing to dear...
if I was "griping" about anything it was about Oasis - and their stupid WOnderwall song not being on the chart- but there was some british rock on there so im satisfied with that ..

if it was a british chart then Oasis would be on there a few times .. and then there would probably be some griping

ok ive said all I wanted now... grrrrrr mad

moonwalker741
i cant believe that green day is not even on there, wtf?! not even good riddance?!? one of there best songs...i meen c'mon

Bierbommetje
Well, at least its got GNR

Df02
all the Tool hype on this board is getting annoying....you know theyre not the be-all and end-all of music...
theyre great, but im not surprised theyre not in the top 50 best songs ever... infact i wouldnt be surprised if they werent in the top 100

Silver Stardust
Df02 -- they weren't on the top 500 anywhere. I expected them to show up at least once somewhere on that list...

ElectricBugaloo
The thing about these kind of lists is that after the top 50, it gets really sketchy.

Df02
yea, thats my point - if theyre not in the top 50 or 100 theres no point them even being on the list... because after that its just random songs thrown on in no order at all. and frankly i dont think Tool should be in the top 50...100 maybe

finti
some good songs all around ,but as AC said it is kind of suspicious that the two top songs somehow contain the words Rolling Stone(s)

Bierbommetje
Or they might have named the magazine after there two favorite songs

Probably not...

ElectricBugaloo
In that case, where is Papa Was A Rolling Stone by The Temptations, Rollin Stone by Muddy Waters, Cover Of The Rolling Stone by Dr Hook, or any more of the hundred or so songs with the word "rolling stone" in the title?

Alpha Centauri
"you know theyre not the be-all and end-all of music...
theyre great, but im not surprised theyre not in the top 50 best songs ever... infact i wouldnt be surprised if they werent in the top 100"

Considering Tool won a grammy for a song that isn't even near their best, I'd say that's a pretty outrageous claim. I don't hype Tool. I'm not the one going around creating "Maynard is God". "Tool, anyone" threads. I love the band, its musicians and I have my opinion as to how high they are in the musical scale of things. If you got a problem, complain to those that make noise. I've only ever hyped Tool in a Tool thread.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
yes...Grammy's are definately the way to see who is the best.

Alpha Centauri
And as for me being told by, I believe DF, that I know Tool aren't the be all and end all of music, I would appreciate if you wouldn't tell me what I know. I don't tell you "DF, you KNOW all Screamo bands are shit". Despite me thinking they are, you think they aren't. Hence opinions differ.

"yes...Grammy's are definately the way to see who is the best"

Did I say they are a way to see who's the best? Can you please go and show me where I specifically stated that the Grammy awards are "a way to see who's the best". You may have trouble finding it coz it's not there as, shock horror, I didn't say it. You would do well to stop twisting and wrongly assuming the contents of my posts.

I reiterate: and to think I'm labelled as someone who doesn't respect opinions and twists words.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
"you know theyre not the be-all and end-all of music...
theyre great, but im not surprised theyre not in the top 50 best songs ever... infact i wouldnt be surprised if they werent in the top 100"

Considering Tool won a grammy for a song that isn't even near their best, I'd say that's a pretty outrageous claim.

1) Someone says that Tool doesn't deserve to be in the upper echelons of music
2) you reply that they won a grammy.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah and?

Did I say it's a way to prove who's best? No. I merely said they won a Grammy that, for whatever reason good or bad, is a globally recognised and "prestigious" award ceremony. So considering that some of the people on there are Outkast and "Hey Ya!" (which I have no problem with) I thought Tool would have been on there if purely on the basis of them having being respected enough to get given a Grammy.

That isn't me saying who's best. Don't misintepret my words coz you're lacking ammo.

-AC

finti
surely overdoing it wouldnt raise some more eybrows roll eyes (sarcastic) ...espesially the latter one where they actualy sing about the mag

Afro Cheese
They really don't have a very good list in my opinion. If you are going to claim to be the "greatest songs of all time" list then that list should be composed of more diverse music genres from both current and previous musical artists. They really didn't venture out of the classic rock genre much in the top 50 songs.

Bierbommetje
Hmm, ive now listened to 3/4 of the Aenima album, and I find it vastly uninteresting... I mean I cant even remember the melody (if there even was one) of the previous song.

It almost seems that in there quest for the new and unexplored they forgot to write memorable songs.

But that's probably just me not liking the genre, or me being overhyped by all the tool-junkies and there threads and just expecting to much from "the most important band in the world" (quote may be inaccurate).

Or me not wanting to reach out or something like that, or me not wanting to lower... sorry I mean lift ofcourse, myself to there level of musical blablabla. And I am trying. And I am gonna listen to them several more time and I might change my opinion, but this is it at the moment.

Afro Cheese
You shouldn't force yourself to like a band. If you like them you like them.. don't like them because you think you should.

ElectricBugaloo
psst...there's a tool thread.

Just FYI.

I was actually a bit surprised to see nothing from Talking Heads, very little from Springsteen, and nothing from the 1980s underground movement. With Rolling Stone wanting to seem hip again, not putting any Pixies songs was kinda odd

Bierbommetje
Yeah, but some songs by some bands become better after several listens. And I dont really mind it, just not very interesting.

Yeah, I kinda realised that... sorry, damn now I made yet another reply regarding tool... :/ I shall shut my mouth on tool from now on regarding this thread.

Silver Stardust
Talking Heads...I can't believe I forgot about them! I loved them when I was like 2 years old laughing out loud or something like that...I was REALLY young when I liked them.

SlipknoT
I liked Van Halen and Marylyn (sp) Manson when I was like 4.

Df02
'you know bla bla bla...?' is like a figure of speech, i think i put a question mark on there to indicate it was that phrase and not me telling you you know it... confused

you seem to be arguing that Tool ARE the be all and end all of music here tho confused

finti
# 410 Monkey Gone To Heaven - Pixies

Alpha Centauri
Well what we all have bands that we value to the highest degree. I wouldn't say I think Tool are the be all and end all of music but I know where they are, as I said, in the musical food chain in my opinion.

-AC

Df02
yea, its fair enough to have a high personal opinion on a band... but arguing that a magazine is crap because its not decided to put 1 of their songs in the top 100 is a bit more than an opinion - thats where the be all and end all statement came in

Alpha Centauri
"but arguing that a magazine is crap because its not decided to put 1 of their songs in the top 100 is a bit more than an opinion - thats where the be all and end all statement came in"

I never said Rolling Stone were crap because Tool were not in the top 100. I believe without doubt that Tool and multiple other artists who deserve to be there, were not. Tool just happen to be my favourite band. That's so untrue to say I called Rolling Stone crap coz of not having Tool coz I said no such thing. I said if it doesn't include certain people who I named, in the upper echelons of the list, then to me it's an invalid list, TO ME.

Damn.

-AC

Deathblow
Wow thats a ridiculously low number for Pixies, especially for that song.

ragesRemorse
Most Rolling stone albums sound like every other Rolling stones album, how could they possibly have a top 500? I can think of maybe 5 top Rolling stone songs.

nick1811
how do 'outkast' deserve to be in it?

SlipknoT
I know. I can think of 1,000 bands that deserve to be on it before them.

Cinemaddiction
Rolling Stone has as much credibility as Maxim, and their god awful list.

Most people fail to recognize, these lists are nothing more than some collective college yuppies opinions, thrown in a blender, and then carefully mapped out, so there aren't 5 rock songs or 5 rap songs in a row.

nick1811
me too sp_ike

Kaleanae
9 - Smells Like Teen Spirit :wft:?
Better than Blowin' in the Wind, London Calling, One?? What the f**k?

MornGlory
if they are going to have a list of the greatest songs _ 500 of them- of al time

they cant just include songs from the yr 1998 and on - I mean it is the greatest songs of ALL TIME !!!

and not a lot of people are going to agree with Eulogy from Tool - or songs about how Maynard wants California to drop off into the ocean... I mean

and Smells Like Teen Spirit was a turning point in music in the 90s-- most of you were in preschool when that song first came on the radio - so you dont what it was like to hear that song for the first time when it came out

eleveninches
how was this list decided?
No of sales or no of sales per capita or through a poll?

finti
never found it too special, allready listen too Soundgarden tat that time so "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was just another tune to me

Deathblow
Because they're talented, interesting, intelligent, innovative and about 10,000 times better than anything else in the charts over the last 10 years.

eleveninches
how was this decided.?
was the list compiled by:

1.No of sales
2.No of sales per capita
3.Weeks in the top 40
4.Readers Poll
5.Industry Poll
6.Other

finti
I guess it was out of the writers choice

Silver Stardust
Yeah, I was really young when that song came out, 5 years old to be exact...but I still remember listening to it on the radio when it first came out. In fact, I had the cassette of Nevermind when it came out. So I DO know what it was like to hear it for the first time when it first came out. I grew up listening to Nirvana.

alic88
list is utter crap... rolling stones haf strange fondness with u2.. GOD they haf so many u2 songs.............. and mj's BILLIE JEAN deserved to be higher... since in other lists it did make to top 10... overall list sucked.. TOOL deserved to be higher.... OUTKAST wtf?

ElectricBugaloo
It was decided by an industry poll. I think that everyone who voted were either critics or musicians (from Jakob Dylan to Brian Wilson)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.