Stem Cell Research?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
Okay here's me around midnight...getting curious as to what my fellow forum junkies think.....let's open this can of worms again

SlipknoT
I'm for it

Julie
hehe...I win....j/k

Silver Stardust
I'm definitely for stem-cell research. There's so much good that can come from it.

Afro Cheese
I'm for it as well. Even if you find abortions to be wrong, as long as we have them might as well let something good come out of it.

Julie
you're not at all worried about the possibility of messing with embryos and such???

SlipknoT
"Your breakin my balls sir, Your breakin my balls"

Julie
huh??? okay...well I'm losing...wah....
Funny thing is I may end up doing something like stem cell research if I continue studying biology....there is much to be learned...but line, rules, etc need to be est for stem cell research not to lead to a world of craziness

Silver Stardust
No, because they are embryos created solely for the purpose of research and there is no intent for them to come to term. It's not like they research stem-cells in an embryo that's in a woman's womb.

SlipknoT
Its from that South Park episode where cartman finds all of those fetuses

hh?
it depends...cuz which kind of stem cell research are we talking about?

getting stem cells from embryos is not the only way possible...

Imperial_Samura
I am for it as well, completely, the possibilities are limitless to the possible applications and if that good is, say, cure degenerative diseases like Parkinson's, or helping someone walk again, then it is worth it. And it doesn't even always require embryos to be touched, stem cells can be obtained from umbilical cords of a child that is born in a healthy state, and there are other sources as well.

Julie
waste not eh....yeah I can see how that would be a good source....specific rules would and I assume are being made for the moral implications of this ocean of reasearch.

It's exciting...it's scary....it's a lovely thing to debate

Silver Stardust
If I'm not mistaken, I think they've found stem cells in adult fat cells...

(we just discussed stem cell research last week in my philosophy class.)

Jedi Priestess
Im with you Jules wink

nice sig Star! eek!

Silver Stardust
I know JP, isn't it awesome? eek! seems so small compared to my other ones, though...

The assistant principal at my high school had cancer, and he had some sort of stem cell therapy that helped get it into remission...it really is something that I think we should look into.

yerssot
all pro for this one ... can help people a lot with their problems

Jackie Malfoy
I am actly againt this for the reason that they cut up babies who been aborted and use it for reseach.I don't think this is good at all but kind of sick.
So I have to say I am againt it.Inleast acouse they find a better way to help these people!jm

Arachnoidfreak
Again, another fine show of ignorance JM.

I'm all for it. Stem cells are a great way to help the people that are already living on this planet.

Alpha Centauri
"you're not at all worried about the possibility of messing with embryos and such???"

Nope. I'm for it for reasons stated by so many others, not out of following just agreement.

If JM was getting attacked by a zombie I swear she'd try to make friends with it and not kill it based on the fact that it was alive once. Ironic how those that claim to value life so much, often do their utmost to prevent advances that will increase the quality of it.

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
Yet knowledge is one thing you have not got that I have Arach!Please keep that in mind while reading my posts.Lucky for me I would not have to read your posts however.JM

pr1983
jm stem cells can come from more than aborted babies, get your facts straight please. smile

i'm for it. look at poor christopher reeve. had the research been allowed he could have been one of millions who'd still be with us today.

Jackie Malfoy
Ok if it comes more then aborted babies then why can't they use that something else instead of useing aborted babies parts?JM If they do this then I will be for it.JM

pr1983
because the supply isn't always there. and i really don't see the harm if the foetus is already aborted, but thats me.

Storm
Embryonic stem cells are thought to have much greater developmental potential than adult stem cells. It is the ability of the embryonic cell, in theory, to become all types of tissue that offers such hope of cure for many diseases.

Fire
That comment was uncalled for

I'm all for it, altho the way of getting the cells should be legit

Jackie Malfoy
It does not matter Fire he is on my list anyway.And I could nto read what he said.JM

yerssot
I thought there were no such things as zombies sad

*gets scared* cry

BackFire
I am 100% for it.

Agent Elrond
With so much potential, there's no way we shouldn't further study stem cells. Of course, Bush isn't making it very easy...

Think about it, the cost in the reseach is tiny compared to the medical expenses of our current diseases. Cure those diseases and the Medicare costs go down.

shugie99
I like seeing that majority are for it.

vagaryatwill
I am overall for it. I understand some of the disadvantages, but I think in the end it is beneficial.

Jackie Malfoy
Yea it helps people by using unborn babies pieces that is a nice thought.JM

pr1983
jm, are u going to tell me that if someone u loved was in dire need of a new kidney, or a lung, and stem cell research was the only way to save them, you wouldn't allow it because it used to be a foetus?

Imperial_Samura
I don't support abortion myself, but I know it is unlikely to stop, so I would like to see something come of it that could aid people in life, something that could save lives and cure disease, rather then it being a waste. Sounds mercenary perhaps, but that can't be helped. Of course there are, as others have noted, alternate sources for potential stem cells which have nothing to do foetuses at all. Who knows, combine stem cells research with certain types of cloning and there is the potential to remove many moral implications.

nemo
Can you tell me where the hell you get this information?

From what i understand, there are two types of stem cells: adult and embryonic.
Most people are okay with adult stem cells so we won't talk about that.
Embryonic stem cells come from the umbillical cord or the blastocytes (a ball of cells that is formed after about one or two weeks after fertilisation)
The ones that are from umbillical cords are mostly preserved by the parents themselves in a kind of stem cells bank for their own kids.
The current embryonic stem cells from the blastocytes come from the embryos left over from couples who had their eggs and sperms fertilised when undergoing in-vitro-fertilisation.
from what i heard so far the issue with embryonic stem cells is that christians believe that it is human so it should not be used thus.
they miss the point that it is going to be destroyed anyway if not used.
i myself believe that it is just a ball of cells that contain life-saving portential, so i'm all for it.

nemo
I agree with you but what do you think about this story?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3930927.stm

Don't you think that sometimes we can be too tight and loose out on something important?

Jackie Malfoy
I get my information from my teachers at school.This is not of my information.Just so you know.JM

yerssot
don't trust teachers, JM... they usually get things mixed up

Silver Stardust
They don't use aborted babies for stem cell research, JM...they grow an embryo specifically to extract the stem cells from. This embryo isn't intended for anything but stem cells; there's never any intent for it to come to term or anything. Teachers don't always have all the facts, if something sounds odd you should try looking it up or asking them where they heard it from.

Afro Cheese
I didn't know that Stardust. To tell you the truth I haven't done any research on this issue I thought they used aborted fetuses because of that episode on South Park. So then why all the fuss if they don't use aborted fetuses?

Jackie Malfoy
If they don't use aborted fetuses then what else could they use?JM

nemo
It's hardly fair to blame your teacher for your own ignorance.
You've got internet connection, haven't you? and as they say the information is just a click away.
don't you think forming your opinions when you hardly know a thing about it like that is a bit dangerous?

Silver Stardust
I couldn't tell you why there's such a fuss...

And South Park isn't that great a source for info, my friend...laughing out loud

Afro Cheese
Yeah I know. embarrasment

I know what the basic concept is: unspecialized cells that can divide without limit and replicate cells around them. Or soemthing like that. Just haven't read up on it much.

BackFire
They use embreo's FROM aborted fetuses I believe. South Park was exagerating, as usual. But god damn, that was a funny episode.

Even if they did use aborted babies, who cares? They're dead anyways, they're just going to end up in a landfill somewhere.

Capt_Fantastic
I think the biggest issue is the results of stem cell research. Republican big wigs get a ton of money from the insurance and medical industries. I think god and morals have less to do with it than losing money by curing diseases. Look at it this way: Is there more money to be made by treating a diseased liver for ten years, or just grow a new liver and surgically implant it?

Whenever you hear a politician imply that god has something to do with a descision, just follow the money trail to the real reason.

Arachnoidfreak
Sweet! I made the list! Don't worry about your ignorance JM, you just keep that self-reassuring bubble up so the truth never gets to you.

yerssot
it used to be selective, I heard... then I made it... now you made it ... that means everyone can eek!

Jackie Malfoy
Little do you know of your own Neo.If I were you I would not say anymore.JM

Capt_Fantastic
Or what? Get over yourself...

Imperial_Samura

pr1983
that makes it all worth it imo.

Dwarfdude
Sorry, I just had to take a shot at this....

So I'm assuming you live in Tennesee? laughing I'm assuming you dont understand that...but its still funny to me.

As for your other comments, I swear someone should kill you......I'd do the people around you a lot of good.....JM, you didnt answer the question of pr1983. Ifthe only way someone you oved deeply could survive was through stem cells, then would you just let them die, simply because an already dead fetus would have to have its stem cells removed? They dont cut the so-called "baby" up, they juststick it with a needle and withdraw the cells. That easy.

Your ignorance, and your stupidity, will never cease to amaze me.....

By the way, have I made your list? I do hope so.....Would that mean you would never come into topics that I'm already in? What sweet bliss...

Morgoths_Wrath
I'm all about it

Big Evil
No, It will cause too many problems.

And let me explain to you why.

You see, liberals have the philosophy "kill the rich". Those damn rich people, they got it easy while the rest of us have to work our asses off just to put food on the table. Well guess who will bennefit most from stem-cells?

The rich.

While the rich get new organs, cures for what ails them, and many other perks. You and me get jack SHIT. Because we're "the poor" and the goverment could give monkey cum about "the poor". So you know what will happen next?

Back ally stem-cells.

Because we couldn't afford the real thing, we'll seek cures elsewhere. Getting cloned cells from an unrealiable source. The microbes might be unstable and leave us worst off then when we went in. Sounds alot like why you don't want to ban abortion hmm?

Oh but you're looking out for me and sticking it to the fatcats right?

Give it up conservatives, we're not going backward.
But liberals, we DO NOT have to go foward.

Live in the now, and giveup this stupid idea of stem-cells helping anyone but those ontop. Unless you want life to suck that much more..

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Big Evil
No, It will cause too many problems.

And let me explain to you why.

You see, liberals have the philosophy "kill the rich". Those damn rich people, they got it easy while the rest of us have to work our asses off just to put food on the table. Well guess who will bennefit most from stem-cells?

The rich.

While the rich get new organs, cures for what ails them, and many other perks. You and me get jack SHIT. Because we're "the poor" and the goverment could give monkey cum about "the poor". So you know what will happen next?

Back ally stem-cells.

Because we couldn't afford the real thing, we'll seek cures elsewhere. Getting cloned cells from an unrealiable source. The microbes might be unstable and leave us worst off then when we went in. Sounds alot like why you don't want to ban abortion hmm?

Oh but you're looking out for me and sticking it to the fatcats right?

Give it up conservatives, we're not going backward.
But liberals, we DO NOT have to go foward.

Live in the now, and giveup this stupid idea of stem-cells helping anyone but those ontop. Unless you want life to suck that much more..

Well...I'm rich. So I'm still down w/ it.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Inleast acouse they find a better way to help these people!jm

What the hell does that mean?

Arachnoidfreak
I love searches. Look, it's an old/new can of worms! Which ironically is stated in my post in the abortion thread and the very first post here. And also ironically, the person who told me to start a stem cell research thread also posted here.

So, morally acceptable? Wrong to 'play god'?

I think if you can get working stem cells, use them. If you get them from an umbillical cord, or an adult, or even an aborted fetus.

The thing I wouldn't like is women abusing it and getting pregnant just to get paid for giving up their aborted fetus. That's just plain lazy and an abuse of the right to have an abortion, yet if there isn't a way to prevent it, it's still not a reason to ban either abortion or stem cells. A woman can only have so many abortions before her body gives in, its not a very safe procedure.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
I love searches. Look, it's an old/new can of worms! Which ironically is stated in my post in the abortion thread and the very first post here. And also ironically, the person who told me to start a stem cell research thread also posted here.

It's not ironic. It's a coincidence. And I didn't tell you to start one, I said if you felt so strongly about it that you could start one. Ironically, you've posted here as well. Neither of us remembered the thread.

The thing I wouldn't like is women abusing it and getting pregnant just to get paid for giving up their aborted fetus.

I don't think that would be a problem. If women didn't have to pay for abortions and medical companies were actually paying for stem cells, then there might be a problem.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

I don't think that would be a problem. If women didn't have to pay for abortions and medical companies were actually paying for stem cells, then there might be a problem.

Well my logic came from that women get paid for eggs and men get paid for sperm. Basically you just put those together to get stem cells, so I naturally thought someone would be paying for them.

Hack Benjamin
I look at it like this, there is always going to be abortions, and despite how much that sickens me, if we can atleast make good use out of those dead babies, then perhaps I can tolerate it enough to the point where I don't push someone down a fleight of a stairs who's pro-choice if given half the chance. (Luckiely for them, I don't..)

Makedde
I am against embryonic stem cell research. Adult stem cells are fine, but those embyros are potential human life, and should not be treated like garbage just because scientists have this big idea that stem cells could save peoples lives.

Maybe it could help people, I don't know, but how many potential human beings will have to be destroyed before ONE person feels the benifits?

Scientists can't even find a cure for the common cold, so how they think stem cells will cure disease I don't have a clue.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Makedde
I am against embryonic stem cell research. Adult stem cells are fine, but those embyros are potential human life, and should not be treated like garbage just because scientists have this big idea that stem cells could save peoples lives.

Medical and scientific research should not be inhibited because people with a culture of life worldview believe that a single cell is entitled to the same rights as an actual person.

Maybe it could help people, I don't know, but how many potential human beings will have to be destroyed before ONE person feels the benifits?

Scientists can't even find a cure for the common cold, so how they think stem cells will cure disease I don't have a clue.

Perhaps you should get a clue before you form an opinion.

Valharu
Ever heard of recycling? I don't thinks it sane to throw all this potential away because someone takes the moral highground screaming bloody murder. No child born alive and healthy is sacrificed. And as long as the practice doesn't turn into a meat market, roll on the research.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by SlipknoT
I'm for it

I'm not.

Arachnoidfreak
I don't have a clue.

That's usually the problem with people against stem cell research.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200411/kt2004112617575710440.htm

Makedde
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Medical and scientific research should not be inhibited because people with a culture of life worldview believe that a single cell is entitled to the same rights as an actual person.

It is not a cell, it is an embryo. There is a difference. You say this research should not be inhibited because people think a 'cell' is entitled to the same rights as a human being. Well, this research should also not go ahead just because people out there think that an embryo isn't deserving of respect.

It's noce that people could be helped with this, but not at the expense of potential human life. Try something else, and use embyros as a last resort.

Arachnoidfreak
"No, don't help the people that are already here! Instead breed more and more people who need to be fed and cared for, but I won't be the one to do it!"

That's great logic there Makkede.

soleran30
Stem cell research makes me nervous. Its nothing like abortions (I realize many people already understand this,) in the fact that govts don't really care about abortions thye don't really gain from them. Stem Cell research offers alot to be gained which means things will be happening behind closed doors ethics be damned..

I see stem cell research similar to the atom bomb. The bomb was the result of splitting atoms which really the scientists didn't want in that bomb. Stem cell research same thing people will expect one outcome and get blindsided with a manipulated version in the backend.

botankus
That's great logic there Makkede.

I didn't want to have to say it, but there are too many people coming to the same conclusion:

Makkede = Jackie Malfoy with grammar skills

Funny thing is, JM's actually posted in this very thread!

XxILuvVegetaxX
Again, another fine show of ignorance JM.

I'm all for it. Stem cells are a great way to help the people that are already living on this planet.

I agree w/ you 100%! I'm all for stem research, too bad that the govt does it fund it (or underfund it)

DarkCrawler
I'm all for it.

Schecter
...heavy emphasis on "may", but still newsworthy imo

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19067616/

Goddess Kali
The lives that exist now, are far more important than the lives that do not exist yet

Magee
These embryos are made with the purpose of providing stem cells, they will never have life and never know it yet so many people THICK FUKS ALL DIE KK THX

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Schecter
...heavy emphasis on "may", but still newsworthy imo

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19067616/

The embryos that are used in embryonic stem cell research are going to be destroyed whether they are harvested for stem cells or not.

With this in mind, researching ways to make adult stem cells act like embryonic stem cells is a waste of time.

axiom
I am all for stem cell research. I personally have been talking to a girl who was in a car accident a little over a year ago. She's now a quadriplegic and cannot move anything below her neck. She's currently having benefits to raise 50 grand to fly to Portugal for stem cell surgery by a man named Dr. Carlos Lima. The procedure uses stem cells from inside your own body therefore eliminating the need to kill an embryo. Anyways with the killing of embryo's taken out, what reason is there for this procedure to not be morally acceptable? I have researched this man and his patient's results.....many people have regained movement, sensation, and some even have the ability to walk again ! Stem cells are an amazing thing and i find them more than morally acceptable to use. If you want more information on this procedure you can google Dr. Carlos Lima's work .....

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by axiom
I am all for stem cell research. I personally have been talking to a girl who was in a car accident a little over a year ago. She's now a quadriplegic and cannot move anything below her neck. She's currently having benefits to raise 50 grand to fly to Portugal for stem cell surgery by a man named Dr. Carlos Lima. The procedure uses stem cells from inside your own body therefore eliminating the need to kill an embryo. Anyways with the killing of embryo's taken out, what reason is there for this procedure to not be morally acceptable? I have researched this man and his patient's results.....many people have regained movement, sensation, and some even have the ability to walk again ! Stem cells are an amazing thing and i find them more than morally acceptable to use. If you want more information on this procedure you can google Dr. Carlos Lima's work .....

If it is as easy to do Stem Cell Work without creating embryos, that should be used, so the ethical line of life value is not crossed. Or else everyone is just a science experiment.

ragesRemorse
we really need to start focusing on stem cell research so we can develop cures for humanities disabilities. For micheal j foxs' sake, because i really want to see a back to eh future 4

Storm
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
If it is as easy to do Stem Cell Work without creating embryos, that should be used, so the ethical line of life value is not crossed. Or else everyone is just a science experiment.
As Adam_PoE already pointed out, scientists usually use extra embryos that in-vitro fertilization clinics would otherwise discard.

The Black Ghost
As long as it can be kept controlled.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.