Suicide

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

liltiggasmootay
Just recently there was a suicide of a kid in our school...He was sick, he was constantly going for surgeries and was soon going for another... lots of people said it was a selfish thing to do to put his parents and his friends through that. Do u think suicide is selfish?

R.I.P G.P.

pr1983
No, i don't believe it is selfish. It astounds me how people can say it is. When its a genuine case, its brought on by massive depression, these people see themselves in a bad situation whatever it is and think the only way out is death. Its so sad, people are under such pressure nowadays, and some are simply unable for it all.

Mane
You're not supposed to talk about this here.

pr1983
my mistake...

liltiggasmootay
ive seen forums worse then this that are still running so i didnt think it was a problem

liltiggasmootay
the rules say not to be explicit, obscene or use vulgar language, graphics or behavior because its not appropriate....so as long as people dont start that then were good.

Mane
Well this isn't every other forum. You can't talk about suicide. This will get closed like all the rest of them.

liltiggasmootay
k well we talk about abortion, euthanasia, religion, sexuality, and there has been many times ive came across opinions about suicide in different forums.... i didnt think this was such a bad topic compared to all the rest.

But i didnt make it to discuss if it will stay open or not. if u dont want to post here then don't and we will just see what happens weither it gets outta hand in here or not.

Clovie
threads about suicide are usually getting closed here erm

anyway.. for me it is way of escaping from the reality

naybean
how can anyone say its selfish? you dont know what that person was going through! the only reason they prob didnt commit suicide earlier was because they didnt want to upset friends and family.

Mr Zero
Why would a thread about suicide be closed? I Don't get it.... ?

In any case: You can't (or perhaps shouldn't) ask if "suicide" is selfish as if all suicides are the same. thats like asking if having a baby is selfish - you don't know anything about the circumstances and all instances are as different as the people involved.

Evy_O
I dunno if this will get closed but.......

except for a very very very few cases, I think suicides is a sign of weakness and on some occasions, yes, selfish as well.

Alpha Centauri
"how can anyone say its selfish? you dont know what that person was going through!"

True but all the time you hear about kids committing suicide coz they don't get the grades they want in school or because they are being called names at school. That's stupid anyway you look at it.

I just view suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I have too many people who I do actual care for to kill myself no matter what because I have had a great life regardless and to ruin the remainder of theirs just coz I got a bit upset, is selfish.

-AC

shellie
until you've walked a mile in their shoes you cant possibly know if it was selfish act

Imperial_Samura
I tend to agree. Its usually unlikely that some one commits suicide to achieve something other then escape, and they most probably wouldn't be doing so to hurt their families and friends. I don't think they are selfish. After all, death is never an easy thing, and people would probably hurt just as much if one died in an accident, or was murdered.

Reborn Again
Yes. I do think it's selfish. Suicide is the coward's way out! People should face their problems in the face of adversary, only then will you know the true power of the human spirit.

fever red
It isn't stupid nor selfish- many suicide "victims" (I admit this is a bizarre use of victim) see the world in a WHOLLY different way than you do. They experience only pain, helplessness, and hopelessness. They rightfully resent others for expecting them to continue uselessly and pointlessly in this pain. In their minds, others are not seeing the true state of affairs, and are uncoscionably insensitive for exorting them to grind on in breath-taking pain and misery.
WHY would anyone CHOOSE to feel this way? Mmmmm- maybe they wouldn't and didn't? Maybe they are in a bio-chemical crisis, and require medical intervention? Hmmmm, mmmmmaybe?
A friend of mine- his wife killed herself years ago, and his two sons found the body. Not her intention to hurt them- and I'm sure that she thought nothing she did could possibly hurt them more than the nature of life itself. It was a moral victory on her part not to take away their perogative to continue experiencing life- many sick parents do this, they don't want to abandon their children to a fate worse than death- life.
Well, many tragedies have since occured,m culminating recently in my friend's youngest sons attempted suicide. He is only 16. It was no cry for help. It was an escape attempt. He cut both his forearms multiple times, severing nerves and tendons in the right arm. He survived and is recuperating. He is doing well.
Beside the river, my friend spoke to me and his normally wooden face dissolved. He said, "I don't know if I can take any more," and turned away from me. Will he kill himself? I don't know. It would be horrible for his sons, but I would not call my friend selfish. He has done, always, the very best he can, and his every act, to the last, will be the BEST he can possibly do.

shaber
sad I'm sorry to read this sad

fever red
Try living it- all of you- before you call my friend selfish or imply that he does not know/use the strength of the human spirit.

Storm
This will get closed. According to Raz, these threads are too much of a serious issue for these forums and too controversial for his liking, which I don' t agree with.

But until then:
Relatives of people who seriously attempt or complete suicide often blame themselves or become extremely angry, seeing the attempt or act as selfish. However, when people are suicidal, they often mistakenly believe that they are doing their friends and relatives a favor by taking themselves out of the world and these irrational beliefs often drive their behavior.

fever red
You're correct. It is insensitive of me to come down hard on those who experience suicide as being selfish. Thanks, Storm.
I am sorry.
It is also hypocritical, to defend one person's subjective experience, and attack another person's. I am frequently hypocritical, and not ashamed to admit that it is a struggle for me.
I will try harder. Reason and logic are not my default positions.

Alpha Centauri
"Try living it- all of you- before you call my friend selfish or imply that he does not know/use the strength of the human spirit."

I found my friend with his wrists slashed in a bathtub for the simple reason that "his life was bad". Yeah he was going through some very shitty stages but we all do. That happened years ago. If he had stayed, his sadness would be gone. But he chose to kill himself and now his family and friends are still living with the sadness that he isn't here. Think before you lump all of us in the "never experienced" catagory please.

I looked into the open eyes of a dead suicide victim who happened to be my friend. But then again, I guess unless you're the actual suicide victim you can never judge if it's selfish huh?

Bullshit.

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
My twin sister tryed to kill herself but we saved her right before she was going to jump.She spend some months in the hospital and is better now and taking some meds.
It is sad when someone you love kills themself.I wish these people would know that if they need help they should talk to someone about it.Sometimes talking to someone makes it better.JM

Alpha Centauri
Quite possibly the most sensible post Jackie has ever made, I agree though. As cliched as it is and as compromising to one's character as it can be, talking to someone is better in my opinion than killing yourself.

-AC

pr1983
alpha i had a very similar experience, and i for one second don't believe my friend was selfish, she died, and i miss her every day, but i don't for one second believe she was selfish. She died in my arms, and i dont hate her for it, i hate myself for not kicking in that door quicker or being a better friend.

Depression is a horrible thing, you don't think rationally in that state, nobody does because those feelings overcome them. You think its easy to slit your own wrists? Do you think its something they just do? its not, it takes a lot to go through with it.

jackie is right, if these people stopped and talked to someone it woudl help immensely, but they dont think of it, they dont see an escape from what they are going through, it may seem trivial to us, but to them its hell.

The fact is young people nowadays have so much pressure put on them, some can't take it.

Are they weak? Possibly

Selfish? I don't think so, but i'm sure there are a couple of exceptions.

Maybe i'm taking it too personally, and i apologise if i seem ott.

Darth Revan
No, it's different than just "well I got teased at school that sucked I'm going to go kill myself," it's a hell of a lot worse than it sounds. Most of the time people are depressed anyways, and being bullied and shit makes the depression worse. I've been there and can safely say it's probably the most awful thing I've been through in my life. You'll be feeling kinda okay for a while, then somebody will start pestering you or you find out you failed physics and you're right back at the bottom of it where you started. I don't remember ever thinking about killing myself, but I can see how if it was bad enough a person might want to.

There are two different kinds of suicide: the serious kind and the gothic kind. The gothic kind is the one where whiney little fake depressed teenagers sit around complaining about how bad their life is just because they think it's cool. Then they go home and dig up a dull razor to scratch their arms up with and call it attempted suicide. If somebody really wants to kill themselves, they won't talk about it, and they can find a way to do it before the paramedics show up.

UNDERTAKER
suicide is stupid and an ultimate sin man.

Silver Stardust
Didn't want to post in this topic...but I will anyway.

I have nearly attempted suicide before. And it is horrible to be so depressed, and I mean REALLY depressed, to get to that point. I obviously didn't succeed, I didn't even go through with my attempt because I got scared at the last minute. And it's not something that I like to talk about; this happened several years ago and only about two weeks ago was the first time that I was able to even say that I have nearly attempted suicide.

Alpha Centauri
I agree with what you said Rev, I still don't totally think suicide is a great way out and I think that if you are willing to put people under such sadness just for yourself it is quite selfish. However I have a certain admiration for those who shut up and do it rather than whining.

"She died in my arms, and i dont hate her for it, i hate myself for not kicking in that door quicker or being a better friend"

Why though? You wouldn't have had to kick the door down had she not decided to do it. Now her suicide has left you in that position which you wouldn't be in were it not for her. I'm sorry that it happened though, respect you for dealing with it. Just don't beat yourself up, she made her choice.

-AC

pr1983
i know that, but i'd never consider her selfish, just extremely depressed.

Mr Zero
Any chance some of you might consider killing yourselves rather than posting any more puerile mindless shit?

I changed my mind. This thread needs closing - fast.

Clovie
i've tried no expression

pr1983
u talkin to me zero?

Linkalicious
i don't sympathize for suicidal people because there are too many people who have attempted it. It's practically "the thing to do" when you're growing up and that makes me lose all compassion for the rest of the group.

i've seen some friends deal with far worst sh!t than 90% of people who commit suicide, and the only reason they are still alive is because they don't take the things they have for granted.

Always live life to it's fullest, see the glass half full, and think about the poeple you affect by your actions....not just how it affects you.

powerfulone1987
I have thought about suicide, but I have never attempted it.

lil bitchiness
Here is a link for focus adolescent services (USA) Click on the state you are in and there are many toll free hotline numbers to call for help for troubled teens.http://www.focusas.com/Directory.html

This site is also very helpful:
http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.suicide.html

These types of threads however are not allowed on KMC and as a rule have been closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.