Black Panther Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Snipes on a Possible Black Panther
Source: Superhero Hype!
November 23, 2004

Blade: Trinity star Wesley Snipes has been talking on the official site's message board about the possible Black Panther movie adaptation:

I've wanted to do the Black Panther for years now and if the fans want it, I would be honored to bring T'Challa to life. I read the post where Black Panther was the topic and I'd like to say it wouldn't be all that difficult for me to play another comic book character. I've played many cops, dads, hustlers, FBI agents and guys running down the street and more time than not I've been able to create distinctive personalities. It would be a fabulous challenge to animate another black comic book. To make the impossible, possible and the unbelievable, believable is one of the greatest dreams an artist has.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/jmglaria/images/S_F/COMICS/Comics_3/Black-Panther.jpg

Havoc470
meh, i wasnt thinking of wesley snipes for the role

i was thinking of someone like this guy, although he isnt a great actor (neither is wesley)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tears_of_the_sun/gallery.php?page=22&size=lores&nopop=1

pr1983
welsy could do it, i think he'd be well suited. he isn't a great actor, but he'd be better than most imo.

Alpha Centauri
Wesley Snipes is what I like to call a "Tommy Lee Jones". He plays certain roles better than anyone ever could but that's about it. The reason I like him is coz he has respect for the arts he partakes in. I guess that's partially to do with him being a Martial Artist he likes to stay true to himself and whatever he's doing. I respect that.

-AC

Havoc470
meh, i liked him in demolition man and new jack city, blade was alright, but i was hoping to get someone new into the black panther scene, it would be something interesting

pr1983
if there was someone better it'd be great, but to be honest i havent seen one, the guy from the link u posted looks a little old imo.

Havoc470
yeah lol, he was in hidalgo and i thought he did a great job, but it wasnt him who i was originally thinking of to play black panther, i cant remember where i saw the original guy i thought of but i'll probably find him eventually

anyway, im just tired of wesley snipes, i cant imagine him playing black panther, it would be hilarious imo

pr1983
i suppose, but it could be worse, we don't want another ben affleck...

Havoc470
imo wesley snipes as black panther would be about the same as ben affleck playing DD, with enough cgi the fight scenes could be great, i mean blade is no black panther, so its a much different scope that i wont like wesley snipes playing, but hey i guess its better than nothing

pr1983
dude, take that back... nobody would be as bad as affleck... snipes physically looks the part imo, whether he could play it, i don't think so. remember that dude from e.r.? can't remember the name, but he could do it maybe.

Havoc470
physically snipes could definitely play the role, but i mean t'challa would seem crappy when played by snipes, african accent? speaking with intellect?

snipes gets a headache saying "vampires"

pr1983
laughing

i know, he aint the most intellectual...

Havoc470
imagine him playing t'challa, which is basically a black bruce wayne x10

TheFilmProphet
Maybe they won't make him speak with the accent.

Nathaniel Grey
I'd often imagined T'Challa with a mix of a British/African accent. I mean he did attend many schools in Europe. It'd not be too far fetched for him to have a British accent.

jinzin
i think your choice for that guy to be for black panther is perfect havoc. That dude is one buff guy too, he has the right charisma and comanding attitude that BP should have. good pic

Havoc470
yeah thats what i thought about the actor too, he's got good qualities, and he just looks old in that picture because i mean, its tears of the sun

africans already have a british/african accent imo

crazyspinz
snipes couldnt play panther, he is already someone in the marvel universe, that would be like making tobey maguire spiderman and iceman, or something like that

TheFilmProphet
So what Romijn did it, why can't Wesley?

Spawnie
Snipes is labeled as Blade and that will follow him into eternity, so it wouldn't be a great idea to make him the Black PAnther too. I don't think that will happen at all.

TheFilmProphet
Well I would much rather see Wesley Snipes play him than someone like Will Smith.

crazyspinz
please dont say that, will smith shal never play a superhero! snipes is the best choice, but he is already blade.

i think someone like denzel washington would be good, but i dont think he is buff enough

i know CHRIS ROCK LOL

TheFilmProphet
Black Panther is way off Denzel Washington's league, honestly he can't be a superhero at all.

I still say Snipes is the best choice at this point.

crazyspinz
ya i guess washinton doesnt have the acting for a superhero, but he has the right i looks, i think. snipes is the best choice, but he is already blade.

CHRIS ROCK

TheFilmProphet
What about the actor who played Spawn?

TheFilmProphet
Here he is, Michael Jai White

http://www.martialway.com/celebrities/white/michaeljwhite01.jpg

papablkbear
Ya michael jai white would be good too. I read somewhere that he's studied 14 different kinds of martial arts.

Nathaniel Grey
Jai White would be an excellent Panther as long as he got that gap in his teeth fixed...

Havoc470
lol, simple movie fx can fix that, but he would definitely play a great t'challa, i forgot about his role in spawn and i was trying to remember a role he did in a steven seagal movie, thats an old pic though, he doesnt look like that anymore

TheFilmProphet
Yeah he was also in Universal Soldier 2 and the Kill Bil movie. Your right it is an old pic but I picked that one because what he was wearing was similar to the Black Panther suit.

Spawnie
He played Tyson too. Hehe

TheFilmProphet
Yeah and that Steven Seagal film he did was called Exit Wounds. Anyway he has done plenty of projects but none that have really given him a chance to shine besides Spawn which is why I think that the Black Panther would be both good for him good for the fans.

Havoc470
definitely, i really REALLY dont want wesley snipes playing another marvel character, i like the actor and he could do an alright job playing t'challa, but michael jai white could definitely play the role and it would be refreshing imo

TheFilmProphet
Plus he has the voice for it and he is in the perfect physical shape for the role of Black Panther, even more than Wesley.

Havoc470
definitely, he has less girth than wesley and can definitely have more physical demand

TheFilmProphet
So who do you think should be the villain?

Havoc470
klaw was one of t'challa's first villains right?

TheFilmProphet
I think so, do you think he would make a good movie villain?

Havoc470
i dont know, it is a little wierd, but it could be pulled off, although there must be some cool enemies he's faced that would look great on the big screen

TheFilmProphet
True. Although I would like to see him in the city, in this film. It would bring up some interesting events in the film.

Havoc470
oh yeah, that would be great, that reminds me of this bp cover

http://tinypic.com/ocmz8

but imo thats more of a sequel kind of thing, unless they want to kinda rush through his origin and automatically start him off in the city with flashbacks to help people understand his character

Havoc470
this is one of the greatest bp drawings imo

http://tinypic.com/ocn5e

TheFilmProphet
Great pics! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Spawnie
Yeah the pics are amazing. Thanx for posting.

TheFilmProphet
same here

kirbyfan
Wesley Snipes is the absolute perfect Black Panther, he is a very good actor, check out some of his dramatic work. He has the perfect look for the Panther and he could bring the sophistication and royalty that the Panther demands!!

It doesn't matter if he is Blade, he has more than enough skill to play the Panther as well!! I don't know where some of you got your info about Wesley Snipes from, but from what I've read on these forums, you've got this guy totally wrong!!

I can't wait for Wesley to make this movie, especially now after Batman Begins. The bar has been raised and Wesley Snipes as the Black Panther could meet the challenge!!

Scoobless
Originally posted by kirbyfan
It doesn't matter if he is Blade, he has more than enough skill to play the Panther as well!! I don't know where some of you got your info about Wesley Snipes from, but from what I've read on these forums, you've got this guy totally wrong!!

yeah.... he isn't so much a 'martial artist' as he is a dancer... that's right... dancer...... anyone remember his appearance in Michael Jackson's 'Bad' video?... he was the leader of the rival 'gang'

laughing

goldendartkilla
I think, adewale akinnuoye agbaje would make a perfect black panther hes a good actor. I cant post his picture though it wont let me.

RSSR
The person I would pick to play T'Challa would be...Chiwetel Ejiofor. Seriously people, back me on this on. He's more closer to T'Challa's height and build than Wesley Snipes and a much more versatile actor. He might even be close to having the same acting chops as Denzel Washington has, to boot.

kirbyfan
Wesley snipes is a very good actor, it seems some of you just don't want to give him his props, but it's all good, the truth speaks for itself.

If wesley snipes is a dancer than I'm the king of England! This guy has shown his skill time and time again.

He's perfect to play the Black Panther he has the acting skills and the fighting skills.

gspin25

skullkid
The support on this site for Snipes as Black Panther is disturbing. Aside from Snipes being a mediocre actor, he is inextricably linked to Blade. I propose Djimon Hounsou (Amistad, Gladiator).

As Ross, I have Ethan Hawke.
As Killmonger (this one is just too easy), Michael Clark Duncan (Kingpin in Dare Devil). He was pretty much in costume as Kill monger in the Scorpion King.
I dont have a White Wolf just yet.
Nor do I have an Achebe.
Suggestions?

HellMaster93
Yeah, how about, if a black dude can be Harvey Dent, we have Anthony Hopkin as t'Challa!?

skullkid
Originally posted by HellMaster93
Yeah, how about, if a black dude can be Harvey Dent, we have Anthony Hopkin as t'Challa!?

I don't follow. When was Harvey Dent played by a black guy? What's this about Hopkins as T'Challa?

HellMaster93
Have you NEVER seen Batman 89? And it was a joke...of course Hopkins won't be T'Challa...

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73413

Wolfie
I heard Snipes was canned (he was a terrible choice anyway) and Djimon Hounsou was hired to play him.

Kazenji
I would like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor play him.

Entity
Originally posted by Kazenji
I would like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor play him. He'd be perfect if they'd actually do it before he gets too old.

Might already be too late unfortunately. erm

srankmissingnin
Chiwetel Ejiofor doesn't look anything like Black Panther...

Djimon Hounsou all the way. Maybe Idris Elba.

Black bolt z
lol it was supposed to come out in 04.

Robtard
Originally posted by Wolfie
I heard Snipes was canned (he was a terrible choice anyway) and Djimon Hounsou was hired to play him.

The legal battle ruined it for him; that was one of his arguing statements for not going to jail. He'd miss out on doing the Black Panther series and by the time he got out, he'd be too old for his action roles.

Agreed though, he would have been a shitty BP, action sequences aside.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.