okay whats with the name Darth?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
Other than the original star wars trilogy,thats my extensive knowledge of star wars because I have tried to forget the last two star wars movies since I think they are so bad.If it was ever explained in the last two movies,I missed it since I only saw them once each-the original trilogy I have seen those movies countless of times so I know just about everything you can know from the original series.was it ever explained WHY there is more than one DARTH? When Lucas came up with Darth Maul,I have always wondered why are all the villians named Darth? someone please explain that to me.Im sure someone here must know the answer.I dont come to the star wars section that much so sorry if this has already been discussed before.

Reborn Again
GL said in an interview that Darth is merely Dark with TH at the end replacing the k... as in THX1138, his worse movie. All the Darth's are dark in nature, see where i'm going w/ this? GL has worked in THX1138 into all his movies somewhere. In Star Wars Luke says: "Prisoner transfer from cell block 1138." When he and Hal infilrate the prison conplex to rescue Leia.

§pearhead
Dark Lord of the Sith

It's a title.

chilled monkey
When the Sith order was first founded there were hundreds of them. They fought amongst themselves and were nearly wiped out. The only one who survived was Darth Bane. He created the 'always two there are' rule. All of the Sith that followed took the name 'Darth' as a mark of respect.

Morridini
That's the EU started.
And to be more accurate, when the Sith were founded there weren't hundreds of them, only one. That was Exar Kun, who became The Dark Lord of the Sith, and first after his death did the hundreds of Siths come.

yerssot
even from the EU perspective, chilled monkey is way off... they already had the name of Darth before and during the life of Bane

Stealth Agent
chilled monkey is accurate just not correct.

Anyway haven't you guys seen George Lucas's movie Indiana Jones? Huh huh? well indy was watching starwars and all these dark jedi came in and screamed at him. "indy we need a name to name ourselves or an initial signature please tell us?"
And indy said "How about Darth Blank."
And they said "Thanks" and lived happily ever after.

Flying Ferret
Darth should never have been a title. It's totally an EU inferrence. Even Obi-Wan's line in ANH seems to indicate that he's saying it as a first name, "You can't win, Darth." So, it's more like, "You can't win, Steve." Because if you substitute with another title, "You can't win, Lord." It just sounds weird.

So, intiatially, before ESB, before EU, Darth Vader was an actual name. Anakin Skywalker really WAS slain by Darth Vader, and Obi-Wan was not a liar. Now, in the prequels, he's not only a liar, but he's also delusional.... "your father was a good man" No, according to the prequels he was a bratty little boy, and grew up to be a stalkerish psycopath before he "turned to evil." "Your father was a great star pilot." No, he drove around in a pod. "When I first met your father, I was amazed at how strong he was with the Force." No, you called him a 'pathetic lifeform' and 'dangerous.' And he wasn't strong with the Force... he just had a lot of Midi-upyer-buttums. "I took it upon myself to train him..." No, you did it out of obligation to your fallen master. "Yoda who trained me..." Gee, did you forget about Qui-Gon? Not only delusional, but afflicted with Alzheimer's, too!

So, I lament the destruction of the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Darth_Nefarus
I've read in several Star Wars comics a buddy of mine has, that Sith's are given the name Darth, for shadow warrior.

Flying Ferret, Obi-Wan is not a liar, he's just telling the story from his point of view.

Darth Subjekt
Well would you want someone telling you that your father was a peice of shit? I mean its the first time he's heard anything real about him. And the fact that he was the only human who could "pilot" a pod racer, and also did quite a job with the starfighter at the end of the movie. As far as him being amazed about how strong he was with the force...being as how GL intrduced that stupid-ass midicholian crap, and how that makes you strong with the force...."the count is off the chart more than 20,000, more than Master yoda." so i would say he was amazed. But he did take it upon hisself to train him, "without the consent of the council if I must" something around those lines....And lastly, Yoda DID train him....who was Yoda training when OB1 was looking for Kamino?......younglings,..what was OB1 at one time....a youngling!!..YAY!!!....dude, basically it was a way for GL to cover his tracks.

And Nefarus is right as well.....Darth is a title meaning Shadow Warrior...ive heard GL say it as well,...just have to find where...

Flying Ferret
Flying Ferret, Obi-Wan is not a liar, he's just telling the story from his point of view.

I grow tired of the "certain point of view" sentimentality. It has been bent to the breaking point for me. Lucas has always said the original films were created to instill "moral value," etc., etc. How is it moral to have these shades of gray and half-truths from a man who is suppose exemplify goodness. With the "certain point of view" many things could've been sugar-coated for Luke. "Oh, no Luke, those weren't your aunt and uncle fried to a crisp in front of the house, they were just scarecrows from last halloween... yeah, that's the ticket."

I'm tired of the revisionism and CPOV!! This has corrupted and degraded these films too often and too far. Yeah, sure, if you stand on your head, turn look through your eyelids, I'm sure you COULD see pod-racing as "star-piloting."

SNORT! Right!

And Nefarus is right as well.....Darth is a title meaning Shadow Warrior...ive heard GL say it as well,...just have to find where...

So what. Lucas says lots of things and then contradicts himself. I wouldn't believe a thing comes out of his cake-hole anymore.

Darth Subjekt
HE MADE THE MOVIE DIPSHIT!!! IF HE SAYS SOMETHING, THEN THATS IT! Who the hell are you to change HIS vision? So youre saying Anakin never flew a star ship in that movie?? Then i suggest you go back and watch it agian, noob. The CPOV was part of the movie to begin with, so how has it corrupted the movie when that was part of it? And saying his aunt and uncle are burnt scarecrows is a little different than how he explained his fathers "demise". And i think i speak for most people here, we dont want to hear anything out of YOUR cake-hole anymore. If you have so much beef with the movies, THEN DONT WATCH THEM!!!!

§pearhead
if you say, "You can't win, Doctor," does that sound bad? Not really...or else, it really is a first name and everyone's name is Darth no expression

Darth Subjekt
lol, yeah...Darth=Mike laughing laughing laughing laughing

Flying Ferret
I don't think I much like the tone of your voice.

Yes, he says what happens in his movies, and that's it, but that doesn't make it like... GOOD!!!

I'm not changing his movies. I'm saying I have an imagination, and utilization clues...hints, inferrences and ideas & concepts presented in the original movies should have shaped the films into something rather than what they are.

My, my, aren't we uppity. I did see this films, and pod-racing doesn't count as a "great star pilot." Hmmm. I didn't see him flying around in space...amongst the stars in that little pod-racer. Did you? Are we watching the same film? And what star-piloting did we see in AOTC? Ooh, he flew around in Padme's pretty little ship some....niiiice.

You are a temptuous little one. And I'll continue to post here. Check your 'tude, bud. Maybe I'll stick around just to see you get all blue in the face.

Darth Subjekt
Ok, first off i dont give a rats ass if you like my tone. And i didnt know that typing on the computer constitutes as a "voice". What was Anakin flying in the end of TPM? a yellow starship maybe? He also flew a speeder quite well in AOTC. But i guess someone of your immense, infinite wisdom, just couldnt see the whole sequence of him saving OB1 and chasing Zam, huh? So you didnt see him fly that much in the first two prequels,...did you see Vader kill all the remaining Jedi? So, that does that mean it didnt happen? And i dont recall OB1 saying, "he was a great star pilot." he said he was a great pilot...thats it.

And also, im not your bud, i wont "check my 'tude" for you or anyone else for that matter. You, nor anyone else can get me "blue in the face". So dont think you have any kind of significant affect over me or my emotions. Dont give yourself that much credit. All youre going to do by posting such idiotic posts, is turn the people here against you. But since you soooo beyond all of our tedious, insignificant lives, im sure you wont care. And yes i do get "uppity" (***) when people like you, come to a place where real fans of the greatest movies of all time, come to discuss how much we love and admire the MASTERPEICE of which GL bestowed upon us, and dump over it stating that it could have been better with your ideas. If you an make it better, than i say again, go make your own movies and se what people think. Dont try to challenge me. Ep 1 wasnt the greatest, but was ore than essential to the story. And Anakin was a good man up to the point when he changed. He always wanted to help people and just misplaced his feelings and how he handled them.

Flying Ferret
Ok, first off i dont give a rats ass if you like my tone.

Didn't think you would, but it really sounds like you have one.

And i didnt know that typing on the computer constitutes as a "voice".

How long have you been posting on the web? By now you ought to know that a "tone" or "voice" can be inferred through writing...

What was Anakin flying in the end of TPM? a yellow starship maybe?

"Oops.." "Maybe this..." "Maybe this..." Yeah, sounds real 'great' and 'skilled' to me. Everything he accomplished, he accomplished by accident.

He also flew a speeder quite well in AOTC.

Not a starship.

But i guess someone of your immense, infinite wisdom, just couldnt see the whole sequence of him saving OB1 and chasing Zam, huh?

I saw it. Yawn. I liked it the first time I saw it in "Fifth Element."

So you didnt see him fly that much in the first two prequels,...did you see Vader kill all the remaining Jedi? So, that does that mean it didnt happen? And i dont recall OB1 saying, "he was a great star pilot." he said he was a great pilot...thats it.

He did. Obi-Wan: "He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy..."
As for Vader "killing Jedi" from what rumors I've heard, it sounds like I'll be disappointed there, too.

And also, im not your bud, i wont "check my 'tude" for you or anyone else for that matter. You, nor anyone else can get me "blue in the face".

Sounds like you're already there.

So dont think you have any kind of significant affect over me or my emotions.

Then why do you sound so riled?

All youre going to do by posting such idiotic posts, is turn the people here against you.

You've seem to be the only one who turned against me.

But since you soooo beyond all of our tedious, insignificant lives, im sure you wont care. And yes i do get "uppity" (***) when people like you, come to a place where real fans of the greatest movies of all time

Yep, sounds like I don't affect your 'emotions.'

come to discuss how much we love and admire the MASTERPEICE of which GL bestowed upon us, and dump over it stating that it could have been better with your ideas.

"Bestowed?" Shall I bow down now and lick Lucas feet? You're already headed in the wrong direction if you think Lucas (and any director/actor/writer for that matter) can do no wrong.

If you an make it better, than i say again, go make your own movies and se what people think.

I may not be able to make movies, but there are alternatives...

Dont try to challenge me.

Okay. You're just inviting challenge with a line that.

Ep 1 wasnt the greatest, but was ore than essential to the story.

No, they're not "essential", the Original Trilogy would've been just fine without them.

And Anakin was a good man up to the point when he changed. He always wanted to help people and just misplaced his feelings and how he handled them.

Yes, Annie, from TPM was a good, helpful, kind, courteous, a regular boy scout, but Obi-Wan said, "good MAN" not "good little boy." And, what happened to that little boy? I don't see him anywhere in AOTC.

Prozak
Sorry Subjekt, but flying ferret is correct to say that Lucas contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth these days. Lucas had the OT as his source material to write these prequels, (forget the EU Lucas only treats the movies as canon), yet he was unable to write prequels that remained faithful, i.e. accurate to the facts, to the movies that inspired them. When questioned about these glaringly obvious MISTAKES he makes no excuses but simply resorts to the old adage that these are his movies and he'll write them as he sees fit, which is the response of an ******* and proof that he doesn't have a clue really.

FF has made his point, clearly and accurately, but you have yet to prove him otherwise. Your only defence is to shout and quote Lucas' favourite excuse about the prequels being HIS movies, like your typical 'real fan'. Well I've got news for you, they aren't just his movies, they're everyones, anyone who's bought a star wars product or contributed to Lucas success. If the man can't handle a little criticism he should stop making movies and if you can't stand a little critique then perhaps you should stop watching 'em too.

Flying Ferret
Thank you, Prozak, and from what I've seen, Lucas is the most ungrateful "artist" there ever was. Fans of the OOT pumped all that money into those films, essentially helped him create ILM with their capital, helped create Skywalker ranch, plus much, much, much more. And it seems like he didn't look back to see what it was that got him there. This may be otherwise, Lucas may not be such a lout if I met him in person (but, boy his quotes in interviews sure do paint him otherwise!), but that's not how it appears.

if you say, "You can't win, Doctor," does that sound bad? Not really...or else, it really is a first name and everyone's name is Darth

Oh, it's a title NOW! But, in one of the early drafts Lucas had a character called "General Vader"... first name "Darth." And, he was NOT a Sith, he just led the empire's troops. He was just a second tier character.

So, "Darth" was NOT a title from the beginning. And, Lucas wasn't even using the word Sith (so, no "DARk lord of SiTH"wink. It was a first name. So, the idea that Lucas "intended" this from the very beginning is total pap. So much like many other ideas which he "intended" from the beginning.

Darth Subjekt

We really got off on the wrong foot. Let me first say, that I could NOT have come up with a lot of ideas which Lucas presents in TPM, and many of them like. My complaint is execution and improper adherence to the first set of movies which he created. It's mystifying to me that he can't get some story concepts straight.

I looked back through your posts, and I'm glad you don't like the midichlorian concept. I'm glad we both can at least agree on that.

Darth Subjekt
Ya kow what? We dont have to agree on this or anything else really. But....as i do, youalso are very much entitled to your opinions and thoughts, and i shouldnt be the one to tell you what you THINK is wrong. I agree and have said from the day i saw TPM, that it wasnt the same "type" of movies as the OT. Theres a lot of things in the movies that do in fact contradict themselves, but the way i look at it is, ya know, its his dream, his vision...ill accept what he puts in front of me.

To me its like going up to Beethoven and telling him he wrote the %th incorrectly, or to change a note here or a note there....although i would prefer different things to happen in SW, it just wouldnt be "star wars" if it were any different. Do you see where Im coming from? And youre right about the "darth" thing...it was once going to be a name, not a title, but now it is a title, as we've seen other people with Darth in their name. SO, with all that said, and as much as i do like to argue, lets just stop and go on from here...both of us.......ok? I dont like, not liking someone. Fair enough?

Darth Subjekt
And i thought OB1 said.:When i first knew him, your father was already a great pilot, but i was amazed how stong he was with the force." ?

Flying Ferret
Fair enough, and I shall be more tactful and diplomatic in the future. Thanks, Darth. smile

And as for the Obi-Wan quote, that's from ROTJ, and in my estimate, strenghthens the "star pilot" comment from ANH.

Ushgarak
Then that makes your estimate not worth much, I guess, seeing as your entire spiel has been that Obi-Wan contradicts himself. He does not- he said two things in that respect:

a. Anakin was a great pilot when he met him. This is true; it refers to his pod racing skills.

b. Anakin was the finest star pilot in the Galaxy. This is also true; we just haven't seen it yet.

Changing Darth into a title is hardly a heinous crime; in fact, I have no objection to little touches like that. And so Obi-Wan's line now equates to "You cannot win, Captain," which is absolutely fine. Using a rank like that as a title of address is of no issue.

This purported mistakes you see are not so at all- only focussed nitpickers make any capital out of them at all. Fact is, he adapted a new story to meet the originals as much as possible, but the IMPORTANT thing is that the Prequels stood fine, and literal enslavement to what was in the OT, if this would reduce what he wanted from the PT, would have been a large negative factor. Every point you make can be easily answered by pieces from the PT. You just don't want it to work- well tough, it does, just not the way we originally saw it. George Lucas deliberately inserted the entire pod racing plot to give Anakin his pilot's credentials. He forcibly inserted a line about Obi-Wan talking of Yoda's teachings to let us know that Yoda taught him first. He even put in Obi-Wan's surprise at Anakin's enormous force potential to keep continuity there. It is all there, and you can not like it, but trying to make out it is NOT there is simply transferred hostility from your dislike of the PT style.

And Prozak, anyone who thinks they are anyone other than GL's films is big-headed. They are his and his alone- you can like them or not like them, but that is ALL you get to do. Being a fan does NOT give you a stake in them, and thinking it does is one of the greatest delusions of many a person today.

Flying Ferret
Ah, Ushgarak, you're going to take advantage of my new outlook on posting?

Then that makes your estimate not worth much, I guess, seeing as your entire spiel has been that Obi-Wan contradicts himself. He does not- he said two things in that respect:

a. Anakin was a great pilot when he met him. This is true; it refers to his pod racing skills.

No, read the scripts, watch the film. In ANH, he says, "star pilot" not just "pilot." And, no, that's NOT referring to the pod-racing. If I remembering correctly, the pod didn't get anywheres near space.

b. Anakin was the finest star pilot in the Galaxy. This is also true; we just haven't seen it yet.

Yes, now Lucas attempts to "fix" in the third film when it should've been dealt with in the FIRST film.

Changing Darth into a title is hardly a heinous crime; in fact, I have no objection to little touches like that. And so Obi-Wan's line now equates to "You cannot win, Captain," which is absolutely fine. Using a rank like that as a title of address is of no issue.

Did I say it was a 'heinous crime'? I simply pointed out that when Obi-Wan says, "Darth" it sounds like a first name, and then I said that it was the EU which established Darth as a title, slapping it on every Sith Warrior that came out of the woodworks. And, I added to that that in the original scripts, Darth WAS a name. I'm just saying Lucas should've stuck with the original idea. I can live with Darth being a title, though, if that makes you happy.

This purported mistakes you see are not so at all- only focussed nitpickers make any capital out of them at all.

No, it's not nitpicking when something is established in an original film, and then contradicted in the following films, that's called "continuity."

Fact is, he adapted a new story to meet the originals as much as possible, but the IMPORTANT thing is that the Prequels stood fine

No, even between the prequel films, there is discontinuity in characterization.

and literal enslavement to what was in the OT, if this would reduce what he wanted from the PT, would have been a large negative factor.

I guess it boils down to a matter of opinion there. I think 'enslavement' would've done the PT's a world of good.

Every point you make can be easily answered by pieces from the PT. You just don't want it to work-

Then you just WANT it to work.

well tough, it does, just not the way we originally saw it. George Lucas deliberately inserted the entire pod racing plot to give Anakin his pilot's credentials.

Okay, next time I'll tell a go-cart driver he can fly me to Japan.

He forcibly inserted a line about Obi-Wan talking of Yoda's teachings to let us know that Yoda taught him first.

Yes, 'forcibly'...shoe-horned... Lucas just didn't know how to write Obi-Wan as the central figure in the first film. Strange, since he mentioned in an interview that Obi-Wan would be so.

He even put in Obi-Wan's surprise at Anakin's enormous force potential to keep continuity there. It is all there, and you can not like it, but trying to make out it is NOT there is simply transferred hostility from your dislike of the PT style.

No, he showed Obi-Wan's surprise at a large midiclorian count.

And Prozak, anyone who thinks they are anyone other than GL's films is big-headed. They are his and his alone- you can like them or not like them, but that is ALL you get to do. Being a fan does NOT give you a stake in them, and thinking it does is one of the greatest delusions of many a person today.

I think it does give us the right to voice our displeasure. We put the money into the original Star Wars, we bought the merchandise, we are the ones responsible for Lucas to be able to continue to make the next film, to make Skywalker Ranch, advance ILM... Other directors and writers are appreciative of their fans. Peter Jackson is big example of this.

And, again, just because they are his movies doesn't mean they are GOOD...

Darth Subjekt
thanks Ush

Darth_Nefarus
People need to not take it so literally and enjoy the movies!

No, read the scripts, watch the film. In ANH, he says, "star pilot" not just "pilot." And, no, that's NOT referring to the pod-racing. If I remembering correctly, the pod didn't get anywheres near space

You're right, Anakin did not go into space in the Pod. But at 9 years old, he was pod-racing, something no other human could do! Tell me he isn't a great pilot. And later in the film he flies into space and kicks some ass. You may say it was luck, but Obi-Wan in the OT said "There is no such thing as luck"

No, even between the prequel films, there is discontinuity in characterization.

Are they your characters? Did you create them? Then shut up about how the creator of Star Wars portrays them.

No, he showed Obi-Wan's surprise at a large midiclorian count.

Midiclorian counts tell the Jedi how much potential a being has with the force. It's a measurement of how connected he is to life in the galaxy, I don't see what your problem is here.

And, again, just because they are his movies doesn't mean they are GOOD...
I agree, but once Episode 3 is out, I doubt you'll be complaining about the PT. With all of the lightsaber duels and action that's going on, I can't help but think this could be the best of them all.

Sith Master X
You're 100% correct man. wink

Flying Ferret
People need to not take it so literally and enjoy the movies!

How can one "enjoy" them when there is mischaracterization, discontinuity and general disregard for the original films? The original films made me 'enjoy' them, I was expecting this same quality, but it did not happen.

You're right, Anakin did not go into space in the Pod. But at 9 years old, he was pod-racing, something no other human could do! Tell me he isn't a great pilot. And later in the film he flies into space and kicks some ass. You may say it was luck, but Obi-Wan in the OT said "There is no such thing as luck"

No, everything was an accident. First, he accidently launches the ship ("oops"wink, then he does a dumb spin move to evade enemly fire and is so lucky and they miss him ("oops"wink and then he accidently blows up the federations ship ("oops"wink. Sorry, too many oops (coinicidences) to suspend the disbelief. At least Luke in the ANH had more skill as a pilot, was somewhat trained by Obi-Wan in the ways of the Force, I could believe that he could've done what he did. You say, "there is no such thing is luck," implying that the Force "helped" Anakin along, makes me wonder if Anakin had closed his eyes and put his hands behind his back if the Force would've done it all for him. There has to be a little "human" element.

Are they your characters? Did you create them? Then shut up about how the creator of Star Wars portrays them.

What does that matter?! If Spock from Star Trek were suddenly to start giggling and pointing at people, pulling practical jokes on them you'd immediately know that this wasn't his character at all. If I read novels, a series of novels with the same characters in them, I expect them to have the same personalities, the same drives, the same motivations. They are generally the same person. The same is with TPM Anakin vs. AOTC Anakin. They are like night and day!

Midiclorian counts tell the Jedi how much potential a being has with the force. It's a measurement of how connected he is to life in the galaxy, I don't see what your problem is here.

Midiclorian = suckage. Midichlorians DEvalue the Force. It was established well in the original series. It didn't need to be added. You know, people could tell in the original movie if Force-users were around... "I sense a presence..." They didn't have midi-chlorian detectors... It also puts Motti's statement of the "ancient religion" to stupid proportions. How can it be a "religion" when it can quantitified, categorized, and appears in a petri dish?

I agree, but once Episode 3 is out, I doubt you'll be complaining about the PT. With all of the lightsaber duels and action that's going on, I can't help but think this could be the best of them all.

Obviously you hold flash-bang-gee-whiz-bang special effects and pointless action above plot & characters. We'll see about Episode III, but what I've heard from rumors---I'm not too hopeful. If I'm surprised and happy with it... you'll be the first to know.

mtryder
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you really that sure that Anakin doesn't fly a starfighter in Episode III? Because, by all accounts that I've heard so far, he does. In the Clone Wars shorts, if you choose to regard them despite being EU, he leads a squadron, and pretty much makes everyone else there look like chumps. And, in Episode IV, he pretty well goes to town in his starfighter. How much more evidence do you need?

Gangularis
omg!! i love you ferret!! you've put so many of my mutual thoughts here, and i have to say there is not ONE thing you've said that i disagree with.. not one thing..

darthfirerock
this really went offtopic here. DARTH VADER
2 ways to look at what it means: 1. what is its defintion in the sw universe? 2. how did gl come up with the name in rl?

no. 2 can be answered by a book on the bio of ralph mcquarrie the original concept artist for sw 4-6. as he was doing concept drawings for the character gl came up with the name darth vader, gl mentioned in the book that darth is a play on the word dark, and that he took vader simply from the german word vater which means father. i.e dark father.

1. obviously this doesn't translate very well into sw universe. so he gave it a sw galaxy definition for a dark lord. stature is what he is implying with the word. someone so dark they have actually been crowned or knighted for the amount of dark deeds committed.

darthfirerock
something else to go along with what i had stated above. GL seems to have used a play on words with each of his sith lords in his movies. infact the origin meaning seems to point simply to what part in the plot of the movies they play. for instance.....

darth sidious; play on insidious; Definition: working or spreading in a hidden and usually injurious way.
his goal in the movies seems to be to take over by slighly without anyone ever knowing until it is too late.

darth maul; play on the verb mauled; definition: to beat, bruise.
he never really was a big part in the orchestration of the plans in the movie. his sole purpose seemed to be to destroy or eliminate for his master. he served his purpose and sidious moved on.

darth tyrannous; play on tyranny; definition: a rigorous condition imposed by some outside agency or force.
had his own agenda and plan. definitely was under the thought that he had to secede by force.

so all 4 names are basically in my opinion a definition of what they are and their roles.

Sesse
"You cant win, darth."

Like many people would say when catching someone from stealing something: "Hold it, Thief!"

Perhaps Obi Wan was making it clear that it was not personal for him. He was fighting a dark lord, not a friend, who turned against him.

So Obi Wan was just completing his "job".

Perhaps.

Arsenal
Darth means Dark in Dutch. Also Vader means father in Dutch.

§pearhead
...the clone wars cartoons are EU. They don't apply, regardless of how well (or as some people say, how badly) done it is.

Ushgarak
No, that's not the derivation, as has been knocked before.

And yes, this thread did go off-topic, but only due to Ferret's objecitons, still as feeble now as they ever were.

ARC Trooper 117
I agree to what alot of Ferret says-but, it IS GL's movie series, and we have to live with that. big grin

Oh, and people saying Darth Vader = Dark Father doesn't even make a DAMNED BIT OF SENSE. How could McQuarrie or Lucas have derived this name with these etymologies, when it is FACT that the whole idea for "Darth Vader = Anakin Skywalker = Luke's dad" came about when revising the final-draft of the ESB script?

Lucas may have based the name ANNIKAN/ANAKIN off of the name of a Biblical people: Anakhim/Anakim.

Also, the original name for Coruscant/Imperial Center, (as appeared in early scripts for RotJ) can be described: Had Abbadon = Had, possibly derived from the Arabic name Hadi "Religious Guide", (in the Imperial sense, the "guide" of Imperial living-or, it could be from a Hebrew word I don't know of stick out tongue); Abbadon = etymologically related to the Hebrew name/word Abaddon "Ruin, Destruction". wink

Flying Ferret
Excellent, Arc!

Oh Mighty Ursh---Yes, they are Lucas' movies. Let's take a look. If you take the time to read the opening crawl for ESB... in the original copy---which has been around for twenty-frickin' years---it's says, "LORD DARTH VADER" and if you go to the credits at the end of ANH it says, "LORD DARTH VADER."

"It's his movie." He originally made Darth Vader a name. It's been that way a long time. His revisionism doesn't make it good. Doesn't make it right.

Rubber_Ducketh
maybe its to do with ranks

Jedi = Padawan -- Apprentice -- Knight -- Master
Sith = .... -- Apprentice -- Darth -- Sith Lord

Darth Maul
Darth Vader
Darth Tyrannus
could have been all equivilent to knight

Bardock42
Well I know that according to the EU Darth is a title to honor Darth Bane, and the lord of the Sith comes from the planet the Dark Jedi conquered were a tribe lived called the Sith, and the Dark Jedis called themnselves The Dark Lords of the Sith then.

Rubber_Ducketh
possibly
but i still think maybe a rank thing

although the idea arsenal had (look 7 posts up) about the dark father thing. Lucas might have dragged in a heap of crap for names just like how he got jedi from Jidai Geki (some japanese warrior thingy)

ARC Trooper 117
Read posts above:
IT COULDN'T BE DARK FATHER!!!

Rubber_Ducketh
arsenal still could be right arc, unless you ask gl yourself you wont know

Darth Enigma
ok mr.****in ferret or w/e ur dam name is i really frankly dont give to flyin of a hell's bell all i know is that obi won did that not out of respect but out of his own trianing if u ever listen instead of haven ur head up ur @$$ u would know in order to become a jedi master/ be on the jedi council u need to have a padawon or have taught a padawon obi won was goin to do it 4 multiple reason 1. respect 2. be on council 3.b/c he know's he is the chosen one he knew he was goin to and he did and be4 u say no he didnt he did b/c he killed the sith's darth sitius and doku but he brought balance to the force by killing the jedi b/c there were only 3 sith's ( including himself) left there was vader situs and another on the swamp land where yoda was be4 he killed him is u read the books then ur knowledge of the star wars galaxy would be better and be4 u come and start sayin u dont know knothin go read ALL of the books and another thing is it is mediclorians u waste of and erection no wait waste of a embreo no WORSE waste of SEMAN that ur father couldve put on the floor and dont u EVER DISCRACE OBI WON AGIAN he shitied on vader in episode 3 he cut him into a dam vegi all limbs GONE and the only reason he died was b/c luke skywalker was a ***** and when he was getting owned by vader he was like " NO DADDY NO MORE RAPING ME " then human emtions witch SUCK DICK kicked in and vader turned to the chosen one TY 4 reading this u waste of SEMAN

brendy
Over reaction much? ^

Darth Dementus
It can also be pointed out, that "Darth" is like combining the words: Dark & Death

darth_burnsy
Darth is the ducth word for dark therfore darth vader= dark father
use my wisdom wisely and may the force be with you

Darth Macabre
Darth doesnt mean dark in dutch.

Dark in dutch is either somber or donker.

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by darth_burnsy

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrhhhh!!!!

Sorry. What I meant to say is:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f5/t344576.html

Also, read the rest of the thread before posting, your point has been covered in here as well as in the link above.

DeVi| D0do
Dooku means poison in japanese according to Lee... just FYI.

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Dooku means poison in japanese according to Lee... just FYI.

A quick check with some online dictionaries reveals:
poison = doku, dokubutsu, dokuyaku, gaidoku, poizun

Apart from the obvious borrowing from English in the last instance, the root "doku" is present in every word. However, it's spelled and pronounced differently, but I'm willing to buy the theory that Lucas used the name to evoke "poison" to those who understand Japanese.

(Of course then I'd also have to consider whether Lucas intended German listeners to think of "obese" when they hear Boba and Jango's last name...) wink

yerssot
Originally posted by SixOfTwelve
A quick check with some online dictionaries reveals:
poison = ..., poizun
who thought japanese could be so easy wink

xyz jedi
Look, to answer the ORIGINAL QUESTION "What's with the name Darth?" IT is a name appointed to all sith lords. Count Dooku couldn't of been Darth Dooku on 2 reasons, he's not a lord and it sounds stupid. Also didn't any of you hear the terms "Lord Maul" and "Lord Vader" which could give you a hint? It is a name to all Sith Lords. Darth Sidious (The Emporer) Even said he'd call him "Darth Vader" as a name And Darth himself said it was his name on ROTJ. So stop talking Bull shit.

xyz jedi
Originally posted by darth_burnsy

Are you sure you don't mean Duesch (German)

xyz jedi
I mean Deusch

xyz jedi
Okay you guys I know the truth. Darth is a name meaning Shadow Warrior GL said so himself.

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by xyz jedi
I mean Deusch

Actually, you mean Deutsch.

And "dark father" in German would be "Dunkler Vater" - not very close.

xyz jedi
It doesn't matter. GL says it's shaddow warrior and that's that.

xyz jedi
listen dosen man with blue freak photo, darth vader is german. 'cos in german th=d and f=v. I don't no 'bout darth though.

ps like you're really german.

SixOfTwelve

xyz jedi
SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY!

darkperson

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.