My List

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theReject
Usually for Christmas I spend any gift money I get on books and here's my list:
*Feel free to tell me what you think* big grin

Hamlet
Julius Caesar
Taming of the Shrew
Romeo and Juliet
The Comedy of Errors
As You Like It
The Odyssey
The Iliad
Dracula
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Invisible Man
The Time Machine
The Last of the Mohicans
The Three Musketeers
Treasure Island
Lord of the Flies
Oedipus Rex
The Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men
Crime and Punishment
Oliver Twist
Jane Eyre
Sense and Sensibility

*Feel Free to recommend more also. Thank You Very Much smile *

vaya_the_elf
sounds like you know what you want

theReject
Hmm Yea pretty much...but
If anyone has already read one of these and knows if it is good or if it sucks I would much appreciate it. big grin

BadKitty
I've read quite a few on your list and they were all really good...and most of the others I heard of and would like to read myself!

had to pick a favorite out of those but I really really liked Lord of the Flies though some people I know think it's a little far fetched,but I found it a easy and entertaining read.

Mr Zero
Helluva list.

If you plan to read The Odyssey & The Iliad then you have to decide whether you want the poem or prose version - poem is more traditional but the prose versions are a little easier on the brain. Plus with so many different translations you have to work out which one suits you best.

With that many Shakespeare plays you might be as well as to find a collected works, but i have a pet theory with Shakey that you should never read one of his plays without seeing it performed first. Even a movie version is better than nothing - that way you can absorb the plot and when you read it you can concentrate on the language.

Good luck with Sophocles - he's beaten all my attempts to read, and its not a play that gets performed often.

As to Dostoevsky, if you enjoy Crime and Punishment (which you should) try The Brothers Karamazov - it's a denser read than C&R but very worthwhile - a real head**** of a book.

theReject
BadKitty- I've heard Lord of the Flies was good, I got a recommendation from a teacher. And since you said you liked it, I suppose it's a must have. Thank you!

Mr Zero- Wow I'm very greatful for all your advice. And I will take The Brother Karamazov into great consideration.

Thank you both very much. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.