Post Notes: Part of the Coruscant Elite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BAILY
Short Description:

"What Episode III didn't need during principal photography was another scene set in Supreme Chancellor Palpatine's office. To be certain, momentous and seismic events unfold in the crimson-carpeted space, but in the interests of opening up the environs and exploring a new Coruscant locale, George Lucas transplanted a seven-minute dialogue scene into the Galaxies opera house."

The most important piece of info is the opera scene containing 7 minutes of dialog between Anakin and Palpatine.

Delta51VE

Delta51VE
Here's a piece of advice. If you think there's even the remotest chance that you may be cast as an extra in a movie that won't allow you to wear your eyeglasses, get fitted for contact lenses right away and get used to them, so you're not scrambling at the last minute.
The night before the shoot, I arranged an evening appointment at the "done-in-about-an-hour" vision place, to get fitted for my first-ever contacts. I explained to the doctor that I didn't need anything too fancy or permanent. I prefer wearing glasses, but I "had the chance to be an extra in a period film," so I needed to have some contact lenses right away. My particular astigmatism would ordinarily result in pricey lenses, but since he figured it was a one-time thing, I would do fine with 90% vision.

"This is your first time wearing these, so you'll want to ease into them a few hours at a time. It's not like you need these tomorrow," he said. I lied and agreed with him.

Now, I wouldn't recommend anyone do this. You're only supposed to start off with first time lenses, say, six hours at a time. But being a novice at putting them in, and not wanting to risk taking them out again, I put them on at home at the start of the day -- 5 a.m., even though I wasn't scheduled to shoot until 3 that afternoon.

There are many people to thank for the opportunity of playing an extra in Episode III, Lori Arnold and Gillian Libbert deserve special mention. It was Gillian who called me in for a fitting, measuring me and finding a green frock that fit me. It was a heavy green dress with a hoop-skirt hem and an upholstered finish that made me feel not unlike a 1970s sofa, shaped like a playing piece from the classic "Sorry" board-game. Just add a strange hat, and you're set. The pants and shoes were mine.

I had two shots. The first had me standing outside the auditorium in the hallway, talking with my fellow opera-lovers Katherine Farrar (ILM Production Assistant), Lars Jensvold (ILM Editorial) and David Gray (VFX Coordinator). Carl put me in charge of my little group. I led the conversation, and then motioned us to walk in when it was time to go catch the show. Everything shot today was MOS -- without sound -- allowing us extras to yammer away. "Have you heard anything about this show? It's supposed to be pretty good." "Well, we paid for our tickets, we might as well head in..." That kind of stuff.

My second shot was the "martini shot," old moviemaking jargon for the last shot of the day. The clock was ticking towards 7 p.m.. The directive was simple. I just had to walk a slightly curving line, delineated by three masking tape Xs on the floor. Walking forward, away from camera, I had to look over my left shoulder, at the graceful zero-gee ballet. Walking back towards camera, I would look over my right. I would be one of several opera guests wandering between aisles as the show started.

It's not backbreaking labor, but it still makes for a very long day and a test of stamina and patience. A breathy excitement affected while retelling the tale is one thing, but adrenaline cannot run for an entire 10-hour day. The end result was 32 performers, 14 scenes, and 19-20 camera positions. And a pair of really tired and cranky eyeballs.

But all worth it, of course. Like so much of my Episode III experience, I'm too far caught up in the details and machinery of the process to really soak in the significance of what I'm a part of. It only hits later that I've played a role -- albeit small -- in something that many people consider historic. And for that, I'd weather a dry eyeball or two.

But I don't want to get too ahead of myself, since I don't know just how many pixels tall I'll be, or even if I'll be visible at all. Besides, not even counting the ILM VIP box, there's a much more interesting cameo appearance in this scene, but I'll have to hold off on revealing who just yet.

For those keeping track:
Group A: CG Supervisors John Helms, Russell Earl, Craig Hammack, David Meny, and Hilmar Koch; Compositing Supervisors Eddie Pasquarello and Pat Tubach; VFX Coordinator Leigh Ann Fann; VFX Production Assistant Anthony Reyna.

Group B: VFX Coordinators Bill Tlusty, David Gray and Jessica Teach; VFX Production Assistants Brian Barlettani and Katherine Farrar; VFX Editorial Lars Svenhold; Internet Content Manager Pablo Hidalgo.

Group C: VFX Producers Denise Ream, Janet Lewin, Jill Brooks; VFX Supervisors John Knoll and Roger Guyett; Animation Director Rob Coleman.

Group D: Practical Model Supervisor Brian Gernand; VFX Coordinator Katie Lynch; VFX Associate Producer Lori Arnold.

Group E: VFX Production Assistants Anthony Reyna and Pouchon Venerin; Editorial Coordinator Sureena Mann; Assistant Editor Lorelei David

Group F: Editor Lars Jensvold; Technical Operations Supervisor Rob Bonstin; Sabre Supervisor Grady Cofer; Assistant Colorist Michael Parkinson; Production Manager Maria Brill.

CAPTIONS
Photo 1
The tubular green gentleman on the left behind Anakin will be replaced by an ILM VIP.

Photo 2
From left to right: Jill Brooks, Rob Coleman, Denise Ream, Roger Guyett, John Knoll and Janet Lewin.

Photo 3
The second-to-best seats in the house.

Photo 4
Okay, no laughing.

http://ezshare.de/files-en/96677/20041124.zip.html

BAILY
Thanks Delta51VE

bilbofett
At least we got SOMETHING before the holiday!!!!

.:Space Opera:.
" 7 minutes of dialog between Anakin and Palpatine."

holy jesus, get to the fighting already. seven minutes! jez

CinematicESP
Everything BUT this scene is fighting! You'll have plenty of action. Besides, I think this is where the disappearing Jedi thing is supposedly explained.

bobafett81
can anyone kind soul post the pics in jpg format? cannot see the pics....

Thank you!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.