Disney Classic Sequels Suck

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chez
Am I the only one who thinks that Disney's animation department is getting a little desperate?

I mean, we've had Lion King 2, Pocahontas 2, Jungle Book 2, Peter Pan 2, Aladdin 2 and 3, Cinderella 2, Little Mermaid 2, with Mulan 2 soon to come and spin-offs of Lilo & Stitch and Beauty & the Beast. blink Almost all of these are just dodgy cash-in inferior sequels - why do they do it?

But why are we getting all this garbage from Disney, now? What happened to masterpieces like Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King and Aladdin? Have Disney animators just run out of ideas or something? no

yerssot
well, what else can they write?
I mean, almost every lenghty fairy-tale/kidsstory has been made

chez
True.

Asami
How about the 12 Dancing Princesses, Rumplestitskin... Can't think of others...

Kes
The problem is the sequels arent at the same level. If they just put some work into it then it would be fine.

yerssot
never heard of those two, asami messed

well, kes, ... it's disney, america, ... profit first, quality last

Vim
yeah i know exactly what you mean! I think they tried to redeem Aladdin in the third installment, it was a bit better than the second, which was just crap squared! Yeah it is a bit riduclous, but they did the right thing with Aladdin and made it into a series which is decent for cartoon series. And they have a Lion King 1 1/2 coming out which is about Timon and Pumbaa, and just a comedy. I know its not Disney but what about Shrek 2, think its gonna be any good?

super shadow GL
i think the sequels were great exept foe alladin 3.they should shut down disney.joke

Kes
Indeed wink

wicker_man
With the exception of Toy Story 2 the rest of the Disney sequels have been pretty poor 'straight to video' features, its only to make a quick 'buck or two' on franchises that are already successful formulas.

Evil Dead
"Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King and Aladdin"

Those films were all made within a short time period of each other. As a matter of fact.......didn't those three come out back to back to back without other pictures being made between them?

Disney has always been like this. They'll have a hot streak of a few great movies.......then go cold for a while. Look at the real classics (stood the test of time for longer than 10 years).......Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmations, The Rescuers, The Great Mouse Detective, etc. ........all were good movies but had alot of lesser quality movies before and after. Did we really need a Rescuers down Under? Or a Fivel Goes West?

kiyana_ayame
I agree that Toy Story 2 was one of the only good sequels Disney has ever made and I persoanlly like Lion King 2 but that maybe just because the Lion King is my favourite Disney. I also agree that some of the other sequels are not exactley good.

chez
Being an Aussie, 'The Rescuers Down Under' made me laugh because it was so bad in places. The opening scene we are running through tulips. Near Uluru. In the Red Centre. It's desert. What the &*%$ are tulips doing in the desert??

I could tolerate that movie, but yeah, it was nowhere near their best.

And Fivel, etc. - can't remember them too well, but they're not exactly classics, now are they?

The problem is, Disney has a great movie, then wrecks it by making a dodgy, superfluous sequel, often direct-to-video . I mean, I loved Disney as a kid, and still do enjoy them now and then, but it irritates me how they compromise the classics.

FragileHaloRyuu
I noticed that too. Pretty much all the sequels suck, but I will check out Mulan 2. I loved Mulan.

alic88
how bout lion king2. i 4got the story i watched it a long time ago

jpres
Rumplestiltskin......I would pay to see that. In my opinion, that would be a great, great movie on Disneys behalf.

chez
Yeah, I didn't mind Mulan either. I guess they can make a sequel for that one, because Mulan and Shang never ACTUALLY got together wink It's when there is NOWHERE to take the story that the second movie bugs me.

Stealth Agent
Has anyone else noticed every sequel Disney makes to a good classic movie SUCKS. I mean they always suck, they ruin the first movie why doe's Disney continue to do this. i heard there making a sequel to Mulan whic will suck as well. I mean none of them are compelling as the first.
I wouldn't be suprised if they came out with a Sequel to Bambi and pinnochio.
Can anyone give me some insight on why Disney does this?

Fearnix
I agree they are crap compared to the originals

KillTheLight
for the money!

powerfulone1987
That's hilarious.

SlipknoT
Toy Story 2 wasnt bad

Fearnix
yes but Toy Story is not really a Classic

Stealth Agent
I just want to know if they see that every sequel fails why do the keep doing it

Jungle Book
Beauty and the Beast
Lady and The Tramp
Little Mermaid
Lion King
pochahontas
& more im to lazy to think of

wicker_man
Simple, its to cash in on the success of their predecessors. Keeping those corporate fat cats err fatter.

Jackie Malfoy
They been going down hill since the movie Alastis.That movie sucks.And I guess they are running out of ideas too because they just keep coming out with these stupid Sequels that does cuck.
Don't they have any better ideas?JM

JKozzy
They already made a sequel to Pinocchio I thought... or are making one.... blink

TheDon
Like Jackie said, they don't have the formula to make real classics anymore, nothing original nothing fresh, so I guess they think they can get by with half-ass attempts to bring classics back to life, and if they even try to make a sequel to pinochio I think I'll just have to cry...

jango fatt
there's a sequel to the beauty and the beast?

Xtremechik2
There making a sequel to Mulan, eesh

Wolfie
They made a Christmas movie (wait... didn't he go human at the end? Why is he a beast again??) as well as one just about Belle. I didn't even wanna see those!

Wolfie
There are loyal Disney classic fans that must have every "classic" Disney comes out with. Whether they like them or not, they bought the video back in the day. Knowing that they hated it, they still buy the DVD when it comes out.

If there's a Pinocchio 2 and a Bambi 2, I would not be surprised! Though a Mulan 2 I think would be hard to do (the story is basically like Joan of Arc, correct?)

shugie99
They make a lot off of DVD sales of those sequels

Evil Dead
Disney is not special.............most sequels suck in general.

Elastigirl
The Disney sequels are just lame.

There's been sequels to:
The Jungle Book
The Lion King
The Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
Atlantis
Aladdin
Beauty & the Beast (sorta)
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Pocahontas

Am I forgeting any?

KillTheLight
Yes I'm sure there were sequels to a 101 Dalmatians and Lady & The Tramp

Elastigirl
Yeah, that's right. Thanks.

Lady & the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure
101 Dalmations 2: Patch's London Adventure

KillTheLight
Omg they also had 102 Dalmatians as a sequel as well as patch's London adventure.

Aku
Aladin : Return of Jaffa was pretty good. Although yes they all suck.

Wolfie
True. But Disney does make sure they don't have a single movie without a sequel to it. Other studios and such (sometimes) have the common sense to stop.

ladygrim
es0p cinderella 2....

Aku
how can you say that when Bad Boys 2 was better than the original, Two towers was better than the other 2 LOTR films, Terminator 2 was better than the other 2...I could name loads.

Elastigirl
Some of the sequels I think are close to or better than the orignal...

Terminator 2
Toy Story 2
Spiderman 2
Aliens
LOTR: TTT
LOTR: ROTK
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
SW: The Empire Strikes Back

Lord Soth
Pure filth, all of them. The only Disney sequel that I liked EVER was Toy Story 2, and that has been stipulated that it's not a classic.

Wolfie
He said most. There are always exceptions.

Aku
Good point.

pinkcabbage
well yeah toy story 2 is the best disney sequel shrek 2 was good though even though thats dreamworks but still. disney have the power t release just about anythin though but then if its rollin in the millions then so be it good on them smile
but they do take it a lil to far sometimes

smile

RavenNightstar
Wow, the 12 Dancing Princesses! I used to love that story as a little girl. Completely forgot about it! Yeah, I'd like to see that!

Napalm
Most disney movies suck

Ananbelle
They should just sell everything they have to Pixar.
And then shut down.

The only semi-decent 100% Disney sequel I've ever seen was Lion King 2. That was a little bit alright. Well, Toy Story 2 was a masterpiece, but again, PIXAR is taking over the animating industry.

fanatos
We'll see about Toy Story 3. They say the story IS good. Some young writer had won the competition for the story as long as I remember. But I am afraid Pixar is not who will be making it. confused

Ananbelle
NO WAY!!!! That's...that's...that's so stupid, why wouldn't Pixar make it?!?!?!? they should stop at 2. Why can't people be happy with just one movie?!?!?!?! They have to go and make a million of them because one happened to be a hit!!
sorry, I'm mad stick out tongue haha

Wolfie
Without Pixar, would it still be computer animated or just be a cartoon?

Why can't they just stick with one movie? Because it's Disney. Soon enough we'll be seeing Finding Nemo 2, Monsters Inc. 2, etc.

Ananbelle
They don't have good leadership. Walt Disney is dead!!!
(Not that that makes the slightest bit of difference.)
It's such pish..I saw a woman at the checkout the other day holding Mulan 2!! Why can't people just stick with one movie and call it quits.
I think Disney's animation is getting worse. Their digital resources are terrible, their stories suck eggs, and even the colour and graphics are bad.
Am I alone on this or does everyone seem to think that Disney's going down within the next 10-20 years? If they don't pick things up, that is.

pinkcabbage
yeh disney needs some fresh new ideas coz they cant keep continuing with wrecking films with sequels
and i really really hope they dont do finding nemo 2 coz i thort that was just classic

smile

fanatos
Was BROTHER BEAR a sequel? Cuz I think it was awesome.

SaTsuJiN
I didnt like any of the disney sequels.. they're just a one night stand for a little kid

Beastro
What else is new? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Clovie
Originally posted by chez
Am I the only one who thinks that Disney's animation department is getting a little desperate?

I mean, we've had Lion King 2, Pocahontas 2, Jungle Book 2, Peter Pan 2, Aladdin 2 and 3, Cinderella 2, Little Mermaid 2, with Mulan 2 soon to come and spin-offs of Lilo & Stitch and Beauty & the Beast. blink Almost all of these are just dodgy cash-in inferior sequels - why do they do it?

But why are we getting all this garbage from Disney, now? What happened to masterpieces like Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King and Aladdin? Have Disney animators just run out of ideas or something? no i agree. sad it is sad that they've run out of ideas.

AdventChild
i heard their cartoon department was closed down and that all they are doing now is computer animation now..

Wolfie
Originally posted by Ananbelle
They don't have good leadership. Walt Disney is dead!!!
(Not that that makes the slightest bit of difference.)
Were there any of these stupid sequels when Disney was alive?

Disney sequels (among others) are what make "sequel" a dirty word.

belbel300
they've lost the plot, they're letting Pixar get on with the good films as well as films like Pirates of the Caribbean which is also Disney but drawn animation has gone from Disney.

Wolfie
A Pirates sequel could be good though. Disney's cartoons take actual stories (Hercules, Mulan, Lion King) and make sequels which make no sense and add nothing to the story.

Captain Jack Sparrow was Disney's creation and they can do with the character as they wish.

belbel300
yea, They are making 2 more pirate movies. Dead man's Chest and another after that. It'll never tire out.

Gesesd
Well. The Great Mouse Detective sequel is supposed to be out in theatres in September 2005 like I received an e-mail from Jesse Handley when I tell her to pinched out of the GMD sequel idea to talk to DisneyToon Studios but, she told me about that they writers doing a sequel that I had good idea after she already talked to them.

ickeris2003
ok the only reason disney sequels suck is because of that eisner dinsey dude. ok I was watching bambi on saturday and I just saw a preview for bambi II?!? WTF???? mad its one of my favorite classic disney movies and they are going to mess up my favorite disney movie of all time. I mean they already did that will lady and the tramp, the little mermaid. cant disney come up with other ideas? like hanzel and gradle, rapaunzel?!? I guess not But I believe disney should stop doing this because later on they will do snow white and I truly believe it . Look at Cinderalla II? WTF? Just stop messing up classic ones and due new ones.

chelsearammer50
Originally posted by Evil Dead

Disney has always been like this. They'll have a hot streak of a few great movies.......then go cold for a while.

Well I hope you're right Evil Dead, those words give me a spike of hope. Right now Disney's falling to the bottem of the well if they haven't hit the bottem and they'd better pick them selves up soon. I mean what was it? "Home on the Range" What's the deal with that I don't even want to see it, it looks so lame. "Brother Bear" looked kinda good though. Anyway my favorite Disney Classics are: "The Little Mermaid" "Aladdin" "Mulan" and "The Lion King" because not only do they have good story lines but they also have REALLY good songs. Of course i want a good quality story first but haveing good songs will help alot too.

Oh and I heard (though I don't exactly trust my source) That Disney is makeing a movie of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" Only it's not going to be Christian, how they can they even do that? It's like impossible.

Oh well at least may the classics never be forgotten.

pishposh
I heard that they're making a sequel to Alice in Wonderland, coming out in 2007. ?????? laughing Wow, could they get any more desperate?

atila the great
it can!! i heard about a snow white sequel!!! the horror the horror

MissCurlyCat
Am I the only one who thought the sequal to pocahontas, or any other Disney sequal was tolerable after watching it so many times the movie meant nothing? Happy Dance the banana cracks me up! laughing

JayBee
I agree. All the Disney sequels sucked. I hope they NEVER make a Treasure Planet 2.

BaronOBeefDip
I agree that Disney sequels suck. In fact, I especially hated Return To Neverland. It's nothing more than a huge stain on the classic Peter Pan (Which is one of my favorite Disney films). And, even worse, they replaced the crocodile (My favorite character in the original film) with an octopus. A ****ing retarded octopus. I'd like to know who the dumbass was that thought that brain-fart up.

starwars3
The only good Disney sequel to a classic Disney movie out there is "Toy Story 2."

fireemblem776
they could do an uncencord verson of the tales. to show what really happend in the original not american verion of it. the horror..

JayBee
Originally posted by starwars3
The only good Disney sequel to a classic Disney movie out there is "Toy Story 2."

I agree. Only because pixar isn't lazy with their sequels like Disney.

star22
Mulan 2 is better than most of their sequals, as is Lion King 2. Those are the only two recent sequals that are actually worth watching.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.