Wireless Networking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tex
Today I spent hours trying to connect my parents' friend wireless router to their laptop.

Took forever and I had to call technical support 5 times! embarrasment

Anyways, I see people all the time at school and cafes with their laptops surfing the net.

How does that work exactly?
Does that little card thingy pick up signals from all sorts of places?

Can you tap into someone else's router?
Like your neighbors?

Because I was getting like 7 available connections when I installed it today! embarrasment

MornGlory
I have Wireless connection on my laptop!! and I LOVE IT!!!!!

it was a b*tch though getting it connected!!

MornGlory
it works through satellite- if you go to an internet cafe! - but not just any cafe - the cafe will most likely have a satelite or some sort of networking there-- but your computer will be programed to pick that satellite up

ok i probably just made no sense- but it does work...

Clovie
you're putting that antena-like kart into the laptop and everything is working blink

(we've been making experiments with it recently, and there occured no single problem)

MornGlory
yes everything works - but my computer has a wireless network built in

all I need is the wireless modem for and no PC card...

Clovie
i have wireless router happy

but to my comp connecion is on wire messed

yerssot
so, you just want some info?

go here:
http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/wireless1.html

Raz
Tex> hahahahahahah!!!! stick out tongue

Anyways, yes, unless using encryption, via something like WEP, you can access any connection that your reciever can pick up. It should also be possible to "listen" in to whats been downloaded by others, which is the reason why encryption should always be used.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.