The Thing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mane
I saw this movie for the first time yesterday, and I must say it is one of the best Sci-Fi Horrors i've seen in a long time. I liked it alot. The action, the plot, the suspense, the paranoia. Really top-notch stuff. What do you guys think?

Cinemaddiction
All John Carpenter's early stuff owns, especially "The Thing" and "They Live". I'm renting "Assault on Precinct 13" tomorrow.

Lord_Andres
its not just one of the best Sci-Fi Horrors ever, its one of the best horror movies ever

thegreatrudini
yeah its a great film and the effects r still realy good

dean7879
great film...the effects are brilliant and i much prefer them more than most cgi effects today.....i also like the oriiginal b&w movie
other john carpenter films rule such as assualt on precinct 13, halloween, the fog and they live

eggmayo
I dont like assault... but the thing, the fog and halloween rule, the thing definetly being kurt russells best film role ever. And the effects are damn decent for such an old movie.

Major Knight
I agree this movie was great, i loved the story line and all the ways it worked out. but i do believe its effects are dated, for me but still a good movie none the less.

thegreatrudini
typical youth of today no lol

Jennifer_Tilly
The Thing rocks!!!!

SlipknoT
One of my all time favorites.

Major Knight
I'M not that young, i no kids like to say like it sucks because it looks fake, but all I'M saying is yes it looks bad, but i still found it to be a great movie.

Lord_Andres
thats whare your wrong major, it looks superb!

Cinemaddiction
Eh..the special effects in "The Thing" are/were way ahead of its time.

Mane
^ Exactly. thumb up

I prefer their dated-yet-ahead-of-its-time effects to most CGI-infested films out there.

SlipknoT
Animatronics are and will always be better than CGI

Major Knight
Key words "ahead of its time". which was how many years ago. now to me it looks as bad as when they use play do. its looks so fake, but a said i cant blame it its old. but its not like i want them to redo that movie and make it worse.

T.M
i saw this movie a while ago and i cant remember much of it. But i can remember it being a movie that i liked alot when i saw it ill have to watch it again i think yes

dean7879
cgi looks fake sometimes to...u can tell whats done on computer and whats not

Cinemaddiction
Oh, as opposed to real people with jaws in their stomaches, dogs with alien tentacles, and guys who's heads explode? Gotcha. wink

It was 1982, FYI, and I'll rephrase that "The Thing" pretty much ushered in the era of explicit special effects, set the standard,and STILL outshines tons of new age special effects. Rob Bottin seems to get forgotten in the SPFX world, since Savini is the name on everyones lips.

Major Knight
your right, but if done right it can look really good.

Major Knight
as i keep saying it was old so w/e it still looks fake now. But as i also Kept saying i still thought the movie was good.

Yes it was great back then, and sadly yes it is better then alot of things coming out now a days. but still like i Keep saying i cant blame it, it was made in "1982"

Cinemaddiction
What is there to blame?? The effects are better than most today! Take a look around. You're the only one that thinks they are outdated.

Dazzler619
It was a good movie but there was some confusion in it,especially at the end. Was MacReady or Childs both human, alien, or 1 is human and the other is alien?

SlipknoT
They are both human.

Major Knight
It also seems I'm the only one how wasn't like 5 when it came out. I just saw it like a year ago, and I'm sorry,but i no lots of movie have bad CG but still at there worst there still pretty much as good if not better then the play do they use in this movie.

SlipknoT
they didn't use play DOUGH in The Thing.

Major Knight
Yea i no but it seems form the look of it the used claymation or w/e.

dean7879
i hate cgi in horror films...its ok for films like day after tomorrow and other action films

Major Knight
i no what u mean. thats hwy i liked that the movie Underworld Kept the CG out of most of it.

Cinemaddiction
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That's an exagerration of my initial response to that last reply)

"Underworld" is loaded with CGI. Rent the Unrated, Uncut edition and checkout the bonus disc with the visual effects documentary.

dean7879
lol yeah thats true..underworld is full of cgi..major knight what are u smoking! smokin'

Major Knight
dude i own it and I'm going to buy the newer one with more special features. and i damn sure know that there is barely any CG in that movie. mostly just green back round(which never look bad) and the transformations from human to lycan.

Cinemaddiction
If you say so. Not that anything I bother proving will make a difference.

ChickinMeat
puppets always look more lifelike than CGI, far more scary!

im going to make a thread about it.

EDIT: infact no i wont, because there already is one!

BREN
the thing.... well what can i say i saw it in 1982 when i was 11 years old,lol,always been a favourite of mine,the atmosphere for starters it feels claustrophobic,as its meant to,the effects and im sorry if i upset any 1 by saying this are superb!,no discussion!,lol,kurt russel rocks as r.j. mcready,the entire cast are superb,id just like to say for all u guys whove seen the movie,well gentlemen i know uve all been thru a lot ,but if u dont mind id rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS F..KIN COUCH!,as quoted from j carpenters THE THING! AMEN!!

Major Knight
for the chance of me being wrong, plz tell me the scence you saw that had CGI in it? From what i saw all i no is they used alot of cables and green screens.

moviejunkie23
man i will take a movie like the thing over special effects any day!!!! look at all the special effects on van helsing and i thought that movie was sub par but look at when the thing was made and the budget they had and how cool that movie came out.
you can't beat the end too i love how it just leaves ya hangin.

Jennifer_Tilly
The Thing is awsome one of my fav horror movies.

SlipknoT
well then you have good taste

Dazzler619
Anyone looking forward to the thing remake this year? It's a mini series airing on sci-fi I think

Roland
Did a search and found this, sorry but I'm bumping it. erm

I think The Thing is a great horror film and the effects are very good even compared to todays effects.

After watching it again last night I noticed one thing at the end, where MacReady and Childs are sitting in the remains of the outpost, that one of them has no fogged breath when he breathes. shock

Oh and there is a possible prequel.

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2650

deathbycorn
The Dog Alien in The Thing is so evil.

vintageSW77
i never understand why the effects people cannot see that some of their creations are obviously under par
i think a man in a mask is often far suprior to CG
the original Jabba is far superior to his S.E version
i cannot understand how a big budget movie like Spiderman can have unconvincing cg...theres no weight to Spidey at times...and as for the Clonetroopers in SW would it really have been so hard to just have a couple of guys in suits...sometimes they look crap

Roland
Originally posted by deathbycorn
The Dog Alien in The Thing is so evil.

That is the only part in that movie that makes me cringe.

deathbycorn
The part when the guys stomach opens up with teeth and starts eating the other guys arm is pretty stupid, but about 30sec later it gets pretty nasty. The sound the Dog Alien makes is very freaky!!

Roland
Originally posted by deathbycorn
The part when the guys stomach opens up with teeth and starts eating the other guys arm is pretty stupid, but about 30sec later it gets pretty nasty. The sound the Dog Alien makes is very freaky!!

When that dudes stomach opens it is a good shock though if you're not expecting it and I think it's pretty cool. lol.

I think the whole movie is pretty gruesome but it's a good gruesome.

Dejio
It's really hard convincing people, who haven't seen 'The Thing' during the 80's, that it was an excellent special effects movie at that time.
It's like me trying to like the original 1968 'Night of the Living Dead' over the 90's version. No matter how much I watch the original, I still think the 90's version is far superior.

vintageSW77
well of course your wrong about NOTLD 68
the effects in The Thing piss over from a great height the CGI of today...Van Helsing for example...give me a man in mask than something that looks like it belongs on a PS"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.