Would yuo want to know the future if you could or not want to know?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
I don't think I want to know.I mean what happens if it is a bad thing.Sure yu can stop it if you knew but still.
I am not sure.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?JM confused

Jedi Priestess
Nope I wouldnt. Take each day as it comes is my motto. yes

Jackie Malfoy
That is a good line Jedi.I feel the same way!JM

Afro Cheese
Depends.. I mean seeing my own fortune would kind of suck because it'd take all the mystery out of life, but I wouldn't mind seeing other people's fortunes.

A4E
i think i would

Jackie Malfoy
May I ask why would you?A4e?JM

Clovie
i wanna know.
i wanna know what questions i'll get tomorrow so i wouldn't learn all the other stuff unnecesarily (sp)

Jackie Malfoy
Hey Clovie.Pm me if you wanna chat ok?I am bored.Anyway I like that answear too.JM

Vampy
It's not like that. If you knew, you'd do anythign to prevent the bad things... and... and...

argh.. you know what? can't explain it stick out tongue Just think of the vase thingy in Matrix

Jackie Malfoy
Don't worry I know what you are saying!JM

Clovie
i'd like to get message saying 'don't do it, you'll make troubles this way' popping up each time i am to do something incridebally stupid cry

Jackie Malfoy
I can't imagine why you would get into trouble you are a nice girl!(Pats her on the back)JM

Alpha Centauri
I dunno.

I'm in a situation now where I really want to find out something and really want to know something, but I have to wait to find out. I'd want to fast forward and know what happens and how far it goes but I also wouldn't for fear of it not being what I wanna see.

-AC

Clovie
very easily cry

Jackie Malfoy
I hope everything works out for you then,Too bad you can't tel what is going to happen or you wil be ready to face it.JM You need a beer it wil make you feel alot better!JM beer

Vampy
i'd like to see the consequences of everything i do stick out tongue before i do it, of course. That would give me some choice at last

Jackie Malfoy
You need a beer to clovie.Open wide!JM And Vampy that is pretty true!JM beer

Clovie
no. i don't.

FeceMan
It's a bit masochistic, but I would love to be like Cassandra in Greek mythology.

barbarossa
I would like to be capable of viewing the future, although such a capability would undoubtedly be misused.

JM- next time use a lighter font, I had to underline it to read it.

rajah kalantiaw
nope. that will take the excitement away. if you offer me to see my past, then yes, i'll take a look-see. but the future, my future? no way.

Arachnoidfreak
Yes, I'd want to see the future. **** the excitement, I just want some shit that's going on to end.

naybean
I dunno - i want to know if im going to be happy but i dont really want to know the particulars like who i'll get married to if i get married and how many kids etc. that wud just kill the suspense.

FeceMan
Perhaps you could be like Merlin--you can see everyone's future but your own.

Londonboy7
Evey thing exept when and how I die.
emagine dreading A single day, hour, year, or never useing a elevator if thats what you see your self die on

FeceMan
Seriously, what's wrong with being like Cassandra? You would be so busy attempting to convince people not to do things you wouldn't have time to worry about your own life. smile

Arachnoidfreak
That would be super cool.

rajah kalantiaw
would you be able to bear to know when and how all your friends and loved ones die? i won't... that's a curse...

FeceMan
I would. But would I do my best to alter said cause/time of death? Yes. Unless it was someone I hated. In which case I might speed the process smile. evil face

I recall there being a Twilight Zone episode where a guy has a machine that can tell when people are going to die and how. The guy then sells them items that they will need to survive at exorbitant prices.

Imperial_Samura
Ah, great show, the Twilight Zone. I don't particularly feel like I need to know the future. I am perfectly happy just working towards it and taking things as they come and crossing bridges when I come to them. While there may be benefits I think the mental effects would be greater, and possibly not good.

Arachnoidfreak
The Twilight Zone was frickin awesome.

Imperial_Samura
The old version or the new series? Both great, great shows in my opinion.

pr1983
twilight zone rocked.

like big fish, you could see how you die, then you could take more risks without fear, that would be cool. as for marriage and kids and everything, i wanna find out for myself through experience.

still there is the old saying "if i knew then what i know now..."

Imperial_Samura
I suppose it would depend whether a. it is possible to see the true future, and b., whether that future is certain and rock solid or just probability.

FeceMan
If it is rock solid, then your future would depend on your knowing the future and trying to avoid your death but failing and dying due to it anyway. How...paradoxical.

Fire
I'd like to see the big picture not me in particular

lil bitchiness
No I would not.

Knowing that something bad is going to happen (on a macro scale at least) doesnt necessarily mean prevention.

Take this scenario for example - if you knew that there is going to be nuclear war soon whats the first thing you're gonna do? You're gonna start getting guns and arms - and with that provoke a war anyway.

Same goes for i you knew that there are gonna be some horrible disease spread or plague or any other similar thing - if you knew that, what would most probably happen is that people would get all the ill people and put them in one place and with that creating a plague anyway.

As far as the micro level goes - I still wouldnt want to know what is going to happen - wheres the excitement in that. By trying desperately to prevent something that hasnt happened yet - you might cause something even worse to happen. Thats just my personal view on stuff.

Sith Master X
Nope, wouldn't want to know the future even if I was payed for it.

Perfectly happy with the way everything is now.

Linkalicious
^gotta totally agree.

Only variance I could think of is the stocking up guns and ammo. MAYBE, instead of a person arming themselves....they might do something like try and spread the word of this future attack but then the general populace would probably just think you're a mad man.

Still the same result.

FeceMan
Yeah, my friend and I were discussing what we would do if we knew about 9/11 before it happened, and we decided that it would be best to do nothing because everyone would think that we were insane or helping the terrorists. I suppose that warrants a sad.

Imperial_Samura
Sounds a bit like the theme of that movie, Paycheck or what ever it was called. Forewarned is not always forearmed, in fact it can be the opposite.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.