The ban on fox hunting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash23
what does everybody think of it?
personally I think it's a very bad idea to ban hunting

Linkalicious
I think fox hunting is too great of a tradition to ban it.

Although, i'd rather have you Brits hunt an ugly animal like a beaver or chiwawa...it's still a classic.

shaber
This trivial issue is often used as a distraction from important matters.

Jackie Malfoy
I think that hunting for sport is wrong and if they do ban fox hunting then that is find with me.JM

naybean
so the fact that as a result they will be putting down the hunting dogs instead and loads of people will be out of jobs doesnt bother you?

ash23
exactly, horses will have to be put down, and more foxses will die longer and more painful deaths.

Jackie Malfoy
Yea sure it brothers me but why do hunting for fun?It should not be consider a job killing animals like that.JM

ash23
huntsmen also look after the dogs and horses, their job is to protect livestock from foxses who are vermin.

naybean
because there are too many foxes killing off local farmers chickens etc and its a way of pest control. If u dont like it dont do it but its more humane than some of the other sports out there like badger baiting and stuff. if the authorities cant control the illegal sports in the countryside why create another thing they will have to [police?

ash23
also they banned it in Scotland and now there are hardly any foxses left because people are shooting them on sight, hunting is a tried and tested way of managing the fox population without destroying them, the only reason it was banned was because Labour don't like the upper class, who don't even make up the majority of hunters. it's all a bit lame really

baracustastic
there are other ways to kill a fox than letting a pack of hounds rip it to shreds.

ash23
actually the other ways generally lead to a more prolonged death and the ripping only happens after the fox is dead (which probably dosen't make it that much better, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons)

naybean
ye there are but considering the hounds will go for the throat anyways and there arent that many foxes being killed every year by fox hunting. Its not like its a major thing. I'm all up for licensing it and the ways in which its carried out but i dont think it should be banned and im all for animal rights (not the organistaion though).

ash23
same here

Jackie Malfoy
I see the reason now.JM

baracustastic
It's all English piffle-paffle anyway. Scotland has sorted itself out on this issue with minimum fuss. Roll on Independence.

ash23
'piffale-paffel'? Scotland still banned it so infact it is also Scottish piffle-paffel or UKish piffel-paffle, that is a very cool word.

ash23
when i can spell it right roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
I really dont care if it is baned or not, it isnt my duty to butt in on other countries laws

Mr Zero
What "rights" is it that you are all for, other than them NOT having the right to be torn apart for sport, which you support?

More generally - It's laughable that people use the "we can't ban the "sport" because lots of dogs and horses will be have to be put down.. poor little doggies and horseys.

The people who run hunting associations are in business - they dont give a shit about the welfare of either the foxes or the animals they use to hunt them: Once a dog is too old to hunt at it's peak - its killed. Same for the horses. Support the hunt and you support the mass slaughter of the dogs and horses that are used during the hunt - they are treated like a replaceable, disposable commodity.

Raz
Chasing a fox and then tearing it apart limb from limb is NOT a sport.

BackFire
So what, just start shooting other people instead, seems to be the "in thing" these days.

Trickster
Actually, hunting dogs have about 3 years of life and hunting before they are killed...

And horses can be put to other uses.

I don't think, really, that either side is putting up a fair arguement - noone's even REALLY sure of the facts.

However, I do believe a ban should be made... Why do I care if foxes die out from being shot? Oh no, a fox has been shot, not chased to exhaustion then set upon by a pack of dogs!

If I was given the two options, I would choose the being shot.

lil bitchiness
Maybe in USA, not overhere.

Raz
There is no necessity to shoot a being.

BackFire
Tell that to all the people who own guns.

yerssot
touchy topic there, BF

Mr Zero
Horses can be put to other uses: Like what?

... do you think that all over the UK huntsmen are paying for old horses to stand around fields eating sweet oats chatting about the good old days when they were part of the hunt?

And are you suggesting that we should be happy that hunting dogs are killed to be replaced with new young stock after only 3 years rather than its natural 10-12 year lifespan?

BackFire
"... do you think that all over the UK huntsmen are paying for old horses to stand around fields eating sweet oats chatting about the good old days when they were part of the hunt? "

....Yes?

Mr Zero
Oh - go and wash your dick.

lil bitchiness
No BF. It costs to keep horses. Old horses are put down. Trip to the glue factory!!

BackFire
I can't....I'll chafe if I do it anymore...

baracustastic
ash23:

Scotland sorted the ban out sharpish. England are fannying around with it.

We've decided to ban it, so in Scotland the issue is resolved. No piffle-paffle in Scotland.

This issue just exposes the daftness of the british parliamentary system. If the elected commons vote something, the hereditary Lords can still overturn the coomons decision. It's barking mad, very English. Scottish Parliament has it sorted.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, roll on Independence

BackFire
I know, lil, I deliberately answered incorrectly.

But...we all need glue..

Mr Zero
& If you have to say it for a 3rd time, make a thread about it so we can ignore you....

lil bitchiness
Sorro.

Raz
Thats why we have the Parlimentary Act, which will make it illegal to fox hunt in February.

yerssot
you kill off the horses and eat them... never heard of horse meat? isn't that particulary good but some like it

Ushgarak
And very few of them are hereditary now.

Mind you, not impossible the Parliament Act will receive a legal challenge in the near future.

Trickster
No, my point is that they are killed after three years anyway, but the hunters are makingg a big deal of killing them now...

baracustastic
Raz:

They should get rid of the Lords, and the Parliament Act.

Raz
No, we should remove the heredity lords. The House of Lords has its use.

Fire
heredity means they are not elected right? I assume it has to do wiv blood lines right?

Ushgarak
Virtually all gone already, but that is only part of the issue.

Darth Revan
I think it's sad, honestly. I don't think it's right of the government to altogether ban hundreds of years of cultural development.

And guys, horses are rarely put down just because of old age anymore. Obviously it costs money to have a horse, but it's not like they do actual necessary work in most places anyways. More often if a person needs to unload a horse, they'll just sell it. There are people who will buy older animals for riding, as they are not surprisingly easier to handle than young ones...

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm, culture is good, but then everybody has different ideas, and I don't think its possible to say something can't be banned just because its been going on for a long time. I mean I am sure when the law was resolved to stop arranged marriage and to give people choice some said "No, its tradition." Sometimes outdated traditions that are wrong need to be removed. Is this wrong? Its debatable, I don't find it evil or anything, still, here in Australia foxes are serious pests that damage the environment in unbelievable ways. They were originally bought here so that English colonists could hunt them. Just for that silly act I am supporting the ban.

finti
is that for sure? I thought it was a lot of resistance against making it illegal.

And horses can be bred for other sports such as horse racing and trotting

ash23
yeah erm

=D)
dont ban fox hunting its english tradition

finti
so was dueling dont see them practice that tradition anymore big grin

ash007
yeah i dont think there should be ban. I mean one day they might even ban fishing

Fire
great idea all for it tho I understand the concerns

finti
yeah, cause there is no such thing as hunger in the world

WindDancer
Back in the days of Grey Davis that law was going to get approved here in California. Fortunally people (including me) opposed the law and was over turned. Can't take away our fishing. wink

ash23
yes, fishing hurts the fish, also killing animals for food, keeping them as pets, riding horses, milking cows, we should all just be fruitarians

summergirl
as soon as my brother figures out its been banned hes gonna cry because he luvs fox hunting when we're in england.

ash23
horse fox

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.