Originality Ripoffs!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Capt.JK
Everyone knows that most ideas for characters in comics have been done and redone, but some characters are just blatant ripoffs of others. At the top of my list of ripoff characters are "Pitt" (a grey ripoff of Hulk with long hair and claws), "Badrock" (a grey ripoff of Thing, right down to his facial structure and the way he talked), "Captain Marvel/SHAZAM" (a blatant attempt by Fawcette Publications to capitalize on the popularity of the then brand new Superman character all the way back in the Golden Age of 1940), and of course, Wolverine's popularity gave birth to a whole generation of ripoff, claw-wielding psycho fighters.

What are your top picks for BLATANT RIPOFFS of other characters?

Havoc470
the sentry is a blatant superman ripoff imo

i dont think pitt is a hulk rip-off though, but thats just me

i think some story arcs rip-off stories from books, for example GL:rebirth has them exploring the ring and basically make it sound like The One Ring from LOTR

Capt.JK
Yeah, but that was a story adaptation. But you're right; it came out at the right time to play off the popularity of the LOTR movies. The difference is, it won't become a character with its own story to ripoff another character on a continual basis.

Pitt was a grey Hulk with claws and long hair. He talked the same, he looked the same, he had the same powers, and his very own little Rick Jones to ride around with him and get into trouble. Blatant ripoff. Did you ever read the Hulk vs Pitt crossover? On the cover, they're facing each other and they look like twins.

ScarletSpider
The original Wonder Man (not Marvel, theirs came later on and the name was free so they took it) was so blatantly a Superman ripoff, the publishers were ordered to stop making his comics. This was very early on so the laws regarding public fictional characters where a bit different. A similar thing happened with Captain Marvel, but they only had to pay a massive sum to DC, leaving them nigh bankrupt, so afterwards they sold all their assetts to DC.

Squadron Supreme anyone? Although there's actually a good reason for them. Back when they debuted, the writers on JLA and Avengers wanted to a crossover. Too much redtape and too many editors saying "no" kept them from it. So the writers basically made the ripoff teams of the others and told the story they wanted to. We got Squadron Supreme, with a much longer lasting legacy, and later on they told the FIRST "Superheroes take over and run the world" story. Though it's been redone, and done better since then, it was a FIRST.

In JLA the same month, roughly, as when the Squadron debuted, we saw a few suspicioulsy familiar characters appearing in JLA, they were familiar as they were Avengers knockoffs! They've appeared here and there since then, but didn't have the staying power of Squadron Supreme.

Prime from Malibu is a SHAZAM ripoff, I think. Although, in place of pantheon and wizard, we get covert military stuff. They're both kids who transform into powerful bodies capable of flight, awesome feats of superstrength etc.

Aquaman is a Namor ripoff. Dual species heritage, king of Atlantis etc. Although Namor has the footwings and superstrength.

Red Raven is a Hawkman ripoff, a human adopted by a species of Bird People after a plane crash, and given artificial wings capable of endowing him with flight. He's also been seen with a mace....hmmm.

Wizzer was a Flash ripoff, quite blatantly. They wanted to cash in on the speedster archetype.

Thin Man was actually the first stretching hero, predating Plastic Man by about a year. So people saying Mr. Fantastic is a Plastic Man ripoff are actually wrong, it was just Stan recycling ideas from earlier Marvel heroes.

Patriot, Defender and others were Cap ripoffs, though all made by the same company.

Though not all that similar, the original Vision, Aarkus was an extradimensional alien, with a green countenance. He could fly and do a host of stuff depending on the story. There are some Martian Manhunter parallels.

That's all I have off the top of my head.

Havoc470
Prime was definitely a shazam rip off, but in a much sicker way lol

this isnt a rip-off but i always thought it was weird that there were two human torch's one being in fantastic four and the other being an alien or something

ScarletSpider
The first was an android, who's body was later doubled by Kang/Immortus and turned into the second Vision by Ultron, or something like that.

Stan reused a lot of ideas and characters for the FF. The FF, at first personality wise were based off of Doc Savage and his adventuring pals. Savage's brilliant mind went to Reed, while his toughness went to Ben. Other supporting characters in the book lent more traits to the others, Johnny's impetuosness, Sue's shyness at first, etc. As for powers, Timely (later Marvel) had published Thin Man, a character Rock Man and an Invisible character before. Stan took older ideas, put new slants on them, mashed them up in a pot a bit, and lent what was then, current public attitudes to them. Being published first in 1963, the FF were in a small measure a Cold War anti-Red propaganda. They went up in the rocket in the first place to "beat those dastardly Commies!"

Nathaniel Grey
Rob Liefeld. He's not exactly a ripoff of any comic character but he does tend to ripoff other peoples concepts and recycle his own as well. shifty

ScarletSpider
He also tends to suck. Hard.

Nathaniel Grey
Suck isn't even the word to apply to a monster such as Liefeld.

ScarletSpider
Hoo, boy. I love Penny Arcade.

Off their site, a sketch the guy did at Comic Con. There was a news post that went with it, but I'm unable to find it. The writer says something like "I was unaware that there was a person in the comics industry who's main role was to suck horribly."

The Young Blood hat's a great touch lol.

Nathaniel Grey
ROFLMFAO!!!

Capt.JK
I think my 3 year old draws better than Liefeld. He had to be dating an editor or something.

Havoc470
LMMFAO!!!! laughing laughing

that comic strip is hilarious!!!!!!

who?-kid
I always felt Moon Knight was a Batman duplicate.

ScarletSpider
Yeah there are more than a few differences. Although I like the supernatural angle of the character, and the ambiguous background.

Here are the Crusaders. A ridiculous ripoff of the original Invaders. Right down to the teen sidekicks!

Havoc470
i dont think think so, he's kind of a spectre duplicate but he has multiple personalities due to his different aliases, which i think is a good quality no other comic book characters have

ScarletSpider
The urban night stalker type character will always be popular. In comics people can site Batman as the first, but before him there was the Shadow and others. It's all just new people putting a spin on their favorite archetypes. I think Moon Knight borrows from Wayne a bit, a philantropist in one guise, the cape, sigil on the chest, his crescent plane, crescent darts (batarangs) and more. Although, with his bit of multiple personality disorder leads to some new parts of the character.

I also love his aforementioned supernatural slant. His connection to the Egyptian pantheon and super strength that waxes and wanes with the phases of the moon, it lets him do some cooler stuff than just a guy dressed up like a bat.

manjaro
analgous is a blatant ripoff of absorbing man

Havoc470
imo, it borrows from spectre and not batman at all, just because he has themed weapons/gadgets/vehicles doesnt necessarily make him like batman, imo its not something batman made

ScarletSpider
I'm not that familar with Spectre, so you are most likely correct. Although Moon Knight could borrow from Batman, who in turn borrows from Spectre. It's a veritable festival of character infringement!

Havoc470
yeah, good point lol

SpyCspider
uh...Catwoman and Black Cat.

Can't get closer than that.

Joker1237
I guessing the Black Cat was the rip off.

Catwoman has been around since 1940. Not to sure when Black Cat came, maybe the 1960s?.

SpyCspider
yea...it was ripping off Catwoman.

Considering Spidey came out around 62 (was it 63), Black Cat came around much later.

baddspellahl4
well, the biggest ripoff is supes. image comics had supreme and dc and marvel stole their Idea with "superman" and "gladiator"

Havoc470
image comics were out before dc or marvel?

Joker1237
I recall superman being the FIRST super hero.

No way can Supes be a rip off of any one.

Capt.JK
I'll take 2 of whatever he's smokin'.

Gregory
I assume that he was telling some sort of subtle joke.

Havoc470
hopefully

ScarletSpider
I was assuming that too, but jokes are supposed to be funny.

Havoc470
lol, good point

Joker1237
But somehow the Joke was lost here I suppose.

Bardock42
I think that was a good joke (if it was a joke it entertained me if it wasn't it makes me happy, I hate Superman)

Oh and I don't see the connection between Moonknight and Spectre, Except if Moonknight is an angel of revenge for "the one above all" but oh well.

ScarletSpider
Moon Knight is the Right Hand of Khonshu, an Egyptian deity. So there are some parallels in that he serves a god in vengeance. Although I think Havoc may have been referring to a different Spectre.

baddspellahl4
no actually supes has been around since the 40's and image comics has only been around since '92 but supreme is cool and supes is gay,

supremthor
Every customed or non customed super is a rip off of the one and only superman

supremthor
because he he started it all

baddspellahl4
and is still gay

supremthor
I know............... I know

ScarletSpider
I think he wouldn't be so gay if they let someone use him well. Think of what Priest could do with him? Those would be great stories. I was reading something about the character, I think it was Joe Casey ranting or something, but I thought it was very true. Superman is an icon. You can't do anything with an icon, because it would upset the status quo. With icon's, you can only rehash and touch upon previous stories, most notably the origin. How many times within the past 5 years has a Supes origin been retold? Too many times. If someone like Priest could come in and screw stuff up, I'd buy it.

joeboro1
robin is a ripoff of bucky or the other way around

joeboro1
Kazar is a ripoff of conan

joeboro1
darksied and thanos twins, but who poped out first.

Capt.JK
Robin appeared first, in Detective Comics #38, April 1940. Bucky appeared alongside Captain America a short time later upon his debut in Captain America #1, March 1941. Both were actually in response to the comic industry's belief that youngsters would respond better to their heroes if they had a teen-aged sidekick along with them that the young readers could identify with.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.