Dude, Where's My Hardcore?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
It's as if I am the Sleeping Beauty of the music world. I finally decide to get back to my musical roots after a 7 years hiatus and gone are my beloved hardcore bands.

In their place? Bands with complex and seemingly thought provoking band names......

Between the Buried and Me?
Poison the Well?
Tuesday?
Blood Has Been Shed?
Autumn..something or another..?

While I have always remained true to whom I feel to be the strongest and most honest of the 90's hardcore bands, Hatebreed, I often wonder where have all the rowdy boys gone?

Where's Madball?
Where's Converge?
Where's Earth Crisis?
Where's Snapcase?
Where's E-Town Concrete?

Anyone else just want the old days back, before bands had sentence long names, whiny, screaming vocals, no sense of timing or rythmn, or lyrics that were totally devoid of the roots of true hardcore music?

After tasting the "new hardcore", it sure seems as if music today sucks.

ElectricBugaloo
Eh...i was never a fan of much hardcore to begin with.

tabby999
i agree with nearly everything you just said c-dic (i quite like Poisen the Well). i'm completlty ****ing over hearing bends that are the "next big thing" slapping "core" after a word, claiming their it, while making shitfull music. its all well and good to stand their and smash your drums and scream words that are undesypherable, but having it tagged as the next big thing is too much. stop inventing new fcuking "cores", fcuk off "metal-core" "grind-core" "scream-core" (that one may be australia only in use, dunno) etc. these bands arn't making genius music, their making NOISE. not music

Deathblow
Ah Snapcase! They bring back memories. Mental note to listen to them again today.

I like old and new hardcore, but you're right it has changed a lot. To enjoy todays hardcore bands you have to be into the screamo stuff. They've both kind of merged into one. I'm guessing if you're a Hatebreed kinda guy, you're not too fond of emo and what not.

From Autumn To Ashes aren't hardcore, they're a screamo band, and I'd say they are probably closer to metalcore. Poison The Well are good, so are Thrice, and As I Lay Dying are excellent. Converge aren't too different to those bands. Quite a lot of awful horse shit coming out of todays 'hardcore' scene, but there's still some real good stuff if you look hard enough.

Anyway, everybody knows that Willhaven are the best band to ever grace the hardcore world, no competition.

Df02
yea, alot of what ur saying has been floating around where i live, its why the underground london hardcore scene has become pretty big recently... i know thats not very helpful to you because its not like ur gonna be able to get hold of ne of their stuff. but theyre all staying true to the Hardcore roots

can pm me if u want band names but garuantee u wont be able to find *much* by them... but theres stuff out there thumb up

SlipknoT
I like Blood Has been Shed

lil bitchiness
From Autumn to Ashes. And no they dont suck.

Darth Revan
I like some screamo... Mostly it just pisses me off that there are so many sub-genres with only minimal differences between them nowadays... Metalcore, hardcore, screamo, grindcore, what the **** does any of it even mean ranting

I'm so flusterated cry

Sybil
i like linkin park...dunno if they're hardcore exactly..but i love em anyway!

tabby999
if you ask most people here they'll say "shit-core" but i dont mind them. wrong place to say it i think

nah, some aussie hardcore thats coming out it good, try Blood Duster (unreal), F*ck.......I'm Dead, and ..... shit i cant think of any more at the moment, check out Shock records website and go to their Hardcore section...

Df02
theyre about as hardcore as a retirement home book club

Red Superfly
laughing

What is hardcore these days anyway? It's dead. Dammit.

Cinemaddiction
That's what I was going to say last night, but I figured I may ruffle a few feathers.

I just remember when Hardcore was about everyone else, being a mouthpiece for those who couldn't speak for themselves. There's no connection. There's no understanding. Hardcore was a ironically intimate form of music at one point. Now it's a bunch of whiny, off timing, self important gibberish with verbally complex songs and long titles.

..oh..and a bunch of wankers who can't grip a microphone properly.

Sybil
Linkin Park is like..THE band to listen to...BOW DOWN!

Cinemaddiction
I like LP for what they are. Unique, but still totally Pop.

furryman
Converge are still alive!

Df02
try hunt down:

-Beatdown Fury
-TRC
-Knuckledust

and nething else from the london hardcore scene you can find....u can make ur own mind up if any of them are good or not, seen each live about 10times lol and think theyre pretty good thumb up

tabby999
ok, i dont know how the fcuk i forgot them, but C-Dic, Mindsnare, they are australian hardcore gods! um, parkway drive, evergreen terace, i dont listen to much hardcore, so i dont really know

Red Superfly
How DARE you!

*slap*

What the f**k?

I used to like Linkin Park quite a bit. Now it's all rap and I can't stand it.

I quite liked Hybrid Theory, as it had a few good songs and catchy pop tunes.

Now it's just crap. They were a fad. I've grown up with U2, Green Day and Stone Roses and that interest has never faded. With Linkin Park it was possibly a month at most of interest. They were so temporary it wasn't even funny.

Seems their temporariness has caught on with everyone because Linkin Park are now almost completely removed from the whole rock scene and are now more part of the hip-hop scene with their constant buddying up with dross like Jay Z and other useless talentless garbage.

moshtitan
*sigh* hxc hasnt gone bad at all. so what if the names are long(wtf does that matter) thats a retarded reason to dislike a band. hxc has evolved into what it has, which is generally hammering riffs, high pitched screams, and breakdowns. todays metal doesnt sound like it did in the 80's and 90's but should we expect it to? no. its gotten more extreme with the changing of times. its still very hxc if you listen to the right bands and dont confuse them into the wrong genres...
"In their place? Bands with complex and seemingly thought provoking band names......" most of these bands arent hxc...

Between the Buried and Me? (techcore)
Poison the Well? (emocore)
Tuesday? (emo)
Blood Has Been Shed? (hxc with metalcore elements.)
Autumn..something or another..? From Autumn to Ashes (emocore)

"are the "next big thing" slapping "core" after a word..." actually, 99% of the hxc bands try to remain underground as much as possible, and the reason they get the "core" is becuse of the hxc elements they bring to the table.

"stop inventing new fcuking "cores", fcuk off "metal-core" "grind-core" "scream-core" (that one may be australia only in use, dunno) etc. these bands arn't making genius music, their making NOISE. not music"

are you stupid?? why wouldnt you want new genres of music to be invented? cuz they dont sound like "Old School Hardcore" ,which is the genre that bands like SnapCase, and Converge,(who recently released a video) fall into these days. its cool not to like metal-core(lamb of god, as i lay dying)and so on, but you have to take it for what it is. and how are you going to call any music noise? thats a very ignorant statement. grindcore, which is the most extreme of the few listed, is considered an art because of the talent required to play it. metal core,with the most melodious elements, making it less"noise"like than hxc even. but im sure there were thrash heads saying the same about hxc back then, too.

tabby999
i'm not a huge hardcore fan, i've previously stated this in this thread. also, emocore, metalcore, screamcore, techcore, these dont make the music anybetter, its just a ****ing weak way of trying to pidgon hole everything and invent a new genre. it all sounds basicly the same. you can tell me all you want how the blast beats and screamed lyrics are a signature of this style of music, thats all well and good. but when 5 bands release the same shit and then get labeled under 3 different "cores" it all becomes amazingly retarded and pointless.

moshtitan
actually, none of them sound that much alike, and you probally think they all sound the same out of your dislike/inexperiance for/of the music. (that or your just stupid) all musics the same way.take rap for ex. to someone whos not a frequent rap listener, all the bass lines and fast rapping make all the types of rap, which fall under different genres, sound the same to them, when indeed theyre not.

tabby999
i dont think i fall under the title stupid, but i am sure that 99% of the new music coming out from this area in music are sounding much of a muchness

Deathblow
True, but emo, screamo and metalcore have developed their own signature sound, and they will continue to build on it. Bear in mind that they are still very young genres.

tabby999
fair enough, i still think that most of the music coming out of these "genres" is totally over rated and sounds much of a muchness

Deathblow
So did I until I first got into Glassjaw.

Cinemaddiction
I can't get into Glassjaw because of the vocal stylings.

tabby999
i do like some Glassjaw, i have "All you ever need to know about silence" (one of those titles C-Dic was talking about that seems though provoking) but only like a handfull of songs

Mane
I don't think all hardcore sounds the same. I could name 10 different bands off the top of my head that are hardcore and all have a unique sound. Sure some sound the same, but that's because of the crunchy guitar riffs and the driving beats.

tabby999
and the same "scream loud and fast"vocal work

Deathblow
Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence, yeah. Good album, just different enough from much of todays hardcore to appeal to a wider audience (although that difference still isn't really huge). Plus, Daryl's primary emotion is anger, very little whinging going on.

Also, what's wrong with having long song titles? I think it's good to have weird and whacky titles like that, makes a change. It's just for fun really, not an overblown artistic statement. Besides, surely the title is one of the least important parts of any song.

Most hardcore sounds very different. Pretty much all the bands base themselves on a particular style, then add their own personal touches. As I Lay Dying are a metalcore band at heart, From Autumn To Ashes sound like Killswitch Engage but with emo breakdowns, and A Static Lullaby mix up metal, hardcore punk and god knows what else, I can't even begin to describe their sound. You think it sounds all the same because you see it as an inferior genre. If you're not interested in something, you're not going to put the effort in to pick out the differences. It's human nature.

Cinemaddiction
Bravo! Happy Dance

Diecast is a good example of the extremes. Really sick breakdowns, but hauntingly mixed/melodic bridges and verses. Take a listen to their song "Medieval".

That song alone sounds like old Maiden, with hardcore breaks, and blast beats. Killer stuff.

xatreyux
first of all converge is still around even though they suck
second how can you say autumn something or another...its from autumn to ashes and they are definitely still around and amazing.
as for other hardcore bands what about
atreyu, alexisonfire, avenged sevenfold, the bled, as i lay dying, bleeding through, it dies today, killswitch engage, anah aevia, Norma jean, unearth, zao, coma eternal, end this day, every time i die... and those are just a few of the amazing hardcore bands that are around. I could go on forever and thats not even including local bands.

tabby999
we didn't ask you to list any, we were stating that most of the new music is just guteral screaming over bad music getting called hardcore. we wern't saying hardcore as a whole was shit (i'm not a huge fan but it certainly has its moments) we're just saying lots of the new stuff is overrated

mah
Orchid is the best hardcore band, too bad they RIP.

Fearnix
I've had a real lust lately for Hardcore and thrashy stuff

Napalm
So many rock bands have have become sisseys I sick of that crap like red hot chilie peppers, Nirvana and crap like that

Df02
haha, u say 'become' then say 2 old-ish bands?

tabby999
yeah, one that broke up 10 years ago...

moshtitan
2/3 of those bands arent even hxc...which is another reason noone asked you to list any.

Fearnix
Rock is shit where as METAL is good and Heavy wink

Reckoning
As with most music, styles evolves as people have many influences and it shows through the music they compose. Old school hardcore can still be found; you just have to look for it.

I personally do love Converge, especially Jane Doe. I was rather pissed off that Integrity broke up because Humanity Is The Devil is one killer EP. Shai Hulud is just timeless; they may be over but their music will never get old. Other notables are Norma Jean and Breather Resist.

tabby999
i was reading an article in the new Kerrang Australia and they recon that Terror are making some pretty damn good old school hardcore at the moment

Staresyt
I don't personally see the point of all these genres and sub-genres and fused sub-genre crossover whatever.

If it's good it's good, if U don't like it, then dont listen to it.

I love, E-town Conrcete, Madball, highscore and all the other class oldschool/tuffguy bands

But i also love cheesy european powermetal with swords and dragons , and I love bands like Caliban, PTW, Unearth etc (The first two more in the early days but even still) I listen to a lot of acoustic and neoclassical guitarists cos a bit of twiddle gets me going just as much as a bit of crunchy beatdown action.

Why do people have to label themselves and go into these little musical tribes and slag each other off (Something the hardcore scene is VERY guilty of is elitest attitudes). just cos u dont like it doesnt mean everyone else shouldnt as well.

Stick with what u like, but let others enjoy what they do to. If U feel like you're style is dying or getting driven out then get your arse in a band and do something about it.

check out my mates DIVIDE from Glasgow. Smashin Stuff!

Fearnix
CrowBar one of the greatist bands EVER

Reckoning
Genres are here to stay. When you explain a band to a person who has not heard of them, and you want to be very accurate about it, what do you use? A genre, or at the very least, a band who sounds similar to them. Get used to it.

Deathblow
How can you say that? Metal IS rock, it's just been around for so long people have forgotton it's origins.

And there are tons of really great rock bands around right now, Dredg, Incubus, Radiohead, APC, Porcupine Tree, Shun etc. Really great bands.

Mane
Despite all the whiny hardcore bands today, you can still find some really great stuff. I have grown a love for hardcore music lately.

Good hardcore bands:
Norma Jean
The Chariot
Evergreen Terrace
Poison the Well
Fear Before the March of Flames
As I Lay Dying
Zao
The Agony Scene
Killswitch Engage
Unearth
It Dies Today
Living Sacrifice

Those are some favorites. There really are still some decent hardcore bands today; they're just a little harder to find.

Lynne

Mane
Spam-ilicious!

Deathblow
+

From Autumn To Ashes
Glassjaw
Boysetsfire
Everytime I Die
36 Crazyfists (kinda nu metally)

Although none of those are hardcore bands. Hardcore is basically dead, all these bands are screamo/post-hardcore.

Killswitch Engage were a metal band back when they released one of the greatest albums ever, now they just blow.

Napalm
To many pansy rock bands today

Korri
sam i love you smile

Mane
I respectfully disagree. Alot of those bands are Hardcore/Metalcore.

Deathblow
Ok so Unearth are, and possibly Zao, but apart from that, they are all post-hardcore. Calling FATA or Agony Scene hardcore is like calling nu metal bands like Korn and Sevendust thrash metal.

Fugazi, Black Flag, Minor Threat and Bad Brains, they were the original hardcore, and later on Converge, Snapcase, Hatebreed, The Dillenger Escape Plan and Willhaven. Post-hardcore & metalcore such as Norma, As I Lay Dying and Avenged Sevenfold are the new form of hardcore, but they are not true, old school hardcore rock bands like the ones I listed before.

It's not a bad thing, it's just natural progression yes

Mane
I see where you're coming from...

moshtitan
Dillenger Escape Plan is psychadellic grindcore, and The Agony Scene, who i recently saw, are more modern glam rock/metal than anything.

Df02
woah psychadellic grindcore....u had me with the Grindcore, but wtf is psychadellic about DEP lol?

if nething itd be Experimental rather than Psychadellic

Deathblow
DEP are definitely not grindcore.

And Agony Scene glam rock?? Hah so basically that makes Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold etc all glam rock too. I don't think so. They wear makeup, big deal, doesn't make 'em glam rock.

Aku
Madball are crap

moshtitan
they are most certainly psychadelic...escpesially on miss machine.

moshtitan
no, but Agony Scene's NEW material is very much so.

Deathblow
Nope sorry, I'm familiar with Agony Scene's new stuff and it's still metalcore.

Furious Angel
(sorry if i'm repeating someone else...i haven't read much of the threadembarrasment )

i really hate it when people have this attitude towards new music. music changes. it evolves. things get mixed together. it's not going to stay the same forever. that's just what happens!

but that's just me.

you can sit there with your i-was-harcore-before-you-were-hardcore attitude and listen to your 90's hardcore. maybe to you "music today sucks", but if music didn't change over time we'd still be listening to people banging rocks against each other. roll eyes (sarcastic)

moshtitan
agree to disagree. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.