Why I don't care for Lord of the Rings?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

saverain
Just wandering why people think the lord of the rings movies are so great? I like the graphics and the adventure but the dialog seems very empty and dull to me. I read the books and loved them but didn't like the movies. In the movies a lot of the events were down-played from the book. That made the movie seem even duller. People say Tolkien was a genius for coming up with an original language and world and that is why they are obsessed with it but elfs and such were around before tolkien, and anyone can create a world of mythical creatures and create a language of there own. So I don't find it special, the books are just entertaining and the movies are boring.

DanielLB
That is your opinion and you are allowed your opinion. But i thibk both book and film are excellent. The film is BASED on the books of Tolkien and but PJ's interprattion of them, therefore very different!

MornGlory
if you didnt like Lord of the Rings ---

it is because

1. You were not paying attention...

2. you are to young to understand

3. you have no taste in great films

4. this thread itsself is GAY just because you said you dont like LOTR

Storm
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Discos
meh if you dont like it then whatever.

I personally think the Battle of the Hornburg was much more developed in the films than the books........and dont get me started with the ride of the rohhirm.

Smodden
The Lord of the Rings, are brilliant movies, and are appreciated and loved by many. Including me.

eezy45
you're really an expert eh roll eyes (sarcastic) it's Elves, not Elfs,

and that's what Tolkien always wanted to point out

In German, it's "Elb" and Elf is actually "Elfe" so there's a difference that cannot be worked out in English stick out tongue

Nienna
The movies, for me, made the books come alive.

Sure, they left some good parts out, but what do you expect, Tolkien rising out of his grave to direct this and the ultimate cast that everyone's pleased with? erm

The Inkeeper
Elves were around, yeah, but not as he had them. I dont know if you noticed, but legolas wasnt small and skilled at toy-making

pinkcabbage
oh my god i agree that its borin an the dialogue is pants- my freind is completely obsessed an it drives me round the bend but i dont tell her that she absolurly loves it and billy boyd to who i personally think is ugly but dont tell her that either smile
i do like lord of the rings but i get bored of it too easily does n e one else feel that it just keeps goin on and on and on ........

smile

muse5
it's all mixed, read the film reviews on torn...not even purists can agree on whether the films are perfect or not...it's all opinion, i personally love both

pinkcabbage
fair enuff smile

The Inkeeper
The films arent true to the books but they bought a whole new generation of fans to the books therefore they are good.

muse5
it's impossible to put everything from the books into the movies...all different elements, true they did bring new fans in, after seeing fotr i read all of the books and since then been in a love affair with it

The Inkeeper
Same here, i got some pretty nasty paper-cuts in some pretty intimate places because of that film

muse5
ROFLMAO bunny beer

pinkcabbage
lolsmile

pinkcabbage
see i havent read the books but the films annoy me i dont know whether i would want to read the books now tho because if i got bored of the films or would it be better for me t read them???

Naredhel
NEW THREAD: "Why I don't care about your stupid, low calibre opinion"

The Inkeeper
Thats not very polite

Fëanor
I have to agree with saverain...i can't understand why they even made a movie...I mean, come on - the nazguls are so a total ripoff of that one in harry potter....

sheesh...i am so glad i am not a fan of the movies...and it's a good thing no one knows who I am...boy! can you imagine?

Discos
dude erm

Fëanor
it's called sarcasm...my friend...sarcarsm

don't say anything to anyone...but i do believe i'm the biggest fan on KMC...

oh yeah...just ask anyone

Discos
lol i shall ask my dog......he doesnt seem to know you.

Fëanor
lol...whatta joker

darktim1
First of all the guards of azkaban prison suck life out of you the witch king scares the hell out of you with his scream I think the nine kings of men who are the nazgul are awesome characters in the films plus they are more deadly guards of azkaban prison they just don't hover around and that's my opinion.

Smodden
Uhm...Can I say something?~!

stick out tongue

pinkcabbage
well maybe we cudnt give a s*** bout urs either ever considered that naredhel???

pinkcabbage
ever thort that we cudnt give a s*** about urs either naredhel???

smile

DanielLB
Man! IM the biggest fan :P

The Inkeeper
Right- calm down people.

We all know none of us is the biggest fan on kmc, and we all know the two very sexy very saucy female members who are stick out tongue

Also, even if you lot dont care about each others opinion, its what this site is for, challenging opinions and learning more, maybe widening your narrow little minds wink

DanielLB
You do realise i was joking? Although i do know ALOT of LOTR stuff

Discos
Here here chris, so much dedication. I am honored to call them my friends smile

Discos - how dare you challenge me, i oughta have a fight with you, YOUR MOMMA!!

The Inkeeper
You got beef with me homes?

Nazgul lord
i respect you opinion but why are you here if you dont like the movies?..........i mean this is kmc (killer MOVIES community) o.k most of us have read the books and the movies dont realy stay true to them but the movies have brought millions of fans to the books however thats just my opinion.

Zachara
Lmao. Personnaly, because I'm one of those annoying LOTR fans, I think the films would have been better if there were six of them. Yes, six. Everyone whos read the books knows that LOTR is six parts of a story seperated into three books with two parts each. They left too much unexplained, but they were good in general and Tolkien won't roll in his grave because of them.

Actually, everyone who hasn't read the books that I have spoken too won't read the books because they think the movies are good enough. Damn, I have lazy friends! LOL!

The Azkaban guards were not very impressive in the movie, I am disapointed to say. The books made a better impression.

The reason why there is so much complaint about the Nazgul is because they are pretty much impossible to capture. Tolkien discribes them in a unique way. They are shaped into something that the reader fears the most and therefor are impossible to depict because each persons fears are different then everybody elses.
They did a relatively good job in the movie with them, but they could have been far scarier.

koolruningz
I think the starter of the thread may be shit stirring. Obviously most of the people who post in this forum are LOTR fans and will jump to the defence of the movies at the drop of a hat. Even if you dont like the movies you would have to be lobotomised not to understand why millions of people do.

Nazgul lord
agreed! and zachara, i agree six films may have been better

Fëanor
lol....dude!

i tried to imagine you saying that...but everytime i did, it sounded very british...

okay...my bad

shadowy_blue

muse5
keep on rocking woman...well said indeed

Mandos
Indeed, and about the six films, I think 3 was enought. Six would have been able to put more details, but destroy two things:
1. The budget (Do I have to explain more)
2. The magic of the books. Imagination is more powerful than sitting on a couch watching a PJ's point of view on the books. I liked the movies, but I liked reading the books more. It's only an opinion.

shadowy_blue
To tell the truth, I like how big the trilogy is. Six books, sweet. And every paragraph taps directly into your imagination, using extraordinary imagery to show you in detail everything, but never going into so much detail that it is a painted picture in your head. It's like a borderline reality.

And also, the themes presented are so universal and diverse, and can apply in so many different situations. I love the use of the incredible, inescapable, seduction of evil (the Ring), the steadfast loyalty and friendship (Sam), the sacrifice (Frodo) and the power of love and compassion (Frodo's attitude towards Gollum). Let's not forget the songs and poetry too! A favorite of mine is The Road goes ever on and on...because it's so true. Nothing ever really ends, no one knows what's going to happen, and everyone is so small yet significant in the great scheme of things.

There's just this underlying melancholy in LotR, the nostalgia, the endless stories untold and the inevitable fading of beautiful things and unspoilt nature that really touches me.

I just always find myself trying so hard to describe every effect, every emotion that I have, though deep inside, I know that the greatest artistic works defy quantification. People seem either to love or hate Tolkien, which I regard as a token of supreme achievement; after all, there's nothing truly remarkable that does not inspire indifference or vague satisfaction. Tolkien's writing leaves me with a lump in my throat and an indefinable consciousness of the presence of beauty.

Mandos
Same thing

The Inkeeper
except hers was much more of a turn on stick out tongue

Mandos
Noooooooooooo... why do you say that? lol

AgentTwiggy
*Imagines Legolas working for Santa* O.o

Right, back to the actual point of the thread. Um... A book is a much more intimate thing than a film. A book can tell you what a character is thinking and feeling; in film this is much harder to do for the simple reason that it is a much more visual medium. So of course things had to be changed... just not quite so much for preference-- I mean, Arwen's Life Is Now Tied To The Fate Of The Ring? Where the spork did that come from?

So... yeah. Great films, great books. The books are better imho, but it all depends on what you like.

pinkcabbage
just genuinely hate it ne way

Jackie Malfoy
The only reason I don't like LOrd of the Rings movies is because they skip out some parts that are in the book and have along pointless scene with the elve why?
Becaues they are trying to give her a longer part.JM

The Inkeeper
so PJ doesnt get called sexist, he has already been called racist maaaany time on here because 'the orcs were black' and 'why were the fellowship white?' and the film should be called 'the fellowship of the KKK' and 'I have a dream, where orc and white man can live in racial harmony!'

Pointless

Flying High
i cant tell your friend even if i wanted...i don't know her.....

and personally i like the movies and the books (i haven't quite finished the last one....i will do someday)....i like them both the same....it doesnt feel like the movies are that long for me cause i like them....

pinkcabbage
i spose thats a good reason... but i just find that it just goes on and maybe its coz im not completely hyped up about it but i still dont like it ...... i just dont see how people can be so obsessed with it thats all

smile

Mandos
Because no one's there to stop them laughing out loud

pinkcabbage
yeh well i no people are allowed there own opinion an im cool wit that but its when they go on about it all the time that annoys me most. its not that i completely hate it its just that i dont like it as much as others.

smile

manny321
hobbit does not even have one femal person in it all. NONE NONE AT ALL. ITS A MALES PARTY AND ADVENTURE through middle earth. A good one though!

Mace Skywalker
so true.

Legoluv
ARGH!!! sad COME BACK TO DA LIGHT!

you gots to like LOTR...you just gotta

Gryn Jabar
Morning_Glory WTF is up with you? The guy doesn't like LOTR. You do. You disagree. It doesn't mean he's gay, nor does it mean that he has no taste in films. It means he doesn't much like the movie. For God's sake's grow up, and learn that not everyone shares your opinion.

angelsflame265
I'm fine with you not liking Lord of the Rings, its really a matter of opinion so I don't care so much when people don't like it, but as for Tolkien's language. . .well thats different.

You say anyone can make a language but I would love to see you try (not ment to be an insult in any way). It is haaaaaard work, and it can't happen a day, or a week. It would take years to make one.

Mandos
This topic is over.

pinkcabbage
y

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.