Why I Love Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

saverain
You probably thought I was going to write a poem about it but no poem could describe my love of that movie. I know a lot of you will disagree with me. I love it because it is unlike any other Horror movie out there. It is to me an art of it's own. The realism is intense. The movie is obnoxious, demeaning, a piece of shit but that is the magic of it. It is so plain and disturbing that it throws you off of your own mind -set into a radical spin and if you survive through the deathly screams of the UNKOWN character you will either never want to see the movie again or you will watch it five time that same night. The way the Semi comes rouring in in the last scene grips you and take you into the last minute of the movie where death seems inevitable. But as the chainsaw soars you know that it was all in fun, for all.

Major Knight
Are we talking about the original TCM or the new re made one?

dean7879
id be dissapointed if saverain is talking about the new version
the original is much better

Cinemaddiction
No shit, Deano. If anyone thinks that highly of TCM 2003, then there's no hope for you.

However, Saverain knows what they are talking about and I offer an astounding "Yep" on all accounts. TCM's realism can't be beat.

Welcome to KMC.

Major Knight
sick you serious, the original is the fakest biggest piece of crap ever (the newer one is pretty bad to, but at least i can stand it). Can u sit there and actually say that a girl strapped to a chair and screaming into a camera for 1/2 an hour is a good movie, c'mon. and whats up with the dead grand parent coming back to life after tasting blood, really?

Sicky666
Perpectly described, u may find it very realistic because it is a based on...story, I can imagine that, a lot of wackos still dwell the earth...

SlipknoT
well said, but if your talking about the remake then please die.

dean7879
he didnt come bk to life..he was already alive...
the girl was being tortured..what do u expect her to do..laugh?
1/2 hour?? lets not exagerate
you say tcm is crap but you like the movie resident evil apocalypse confused
tcm is horror at its best

Wolfie
Saverain's talking about the remake. With the exception of Major Knight, we all love the original so I bet he means the remake.

hh?
original > remake

SlipknoT
He cant mean the remake

Cinemaddiction
Original.

Wolfie
Didn't the remake do that too? I don't remember too well but didn't Leatherface chase that girl until she drove off and the movie ended?

Mane
I stand to believe you have the shittiest taste in horror.

eggmayo
The original is one of the greatest films EVER.
The remake will go down in history as proof that Hollywood sucks.

Zilverz
I love the original. One of my favorite horrors. But im not afraid to say I enjoyed the 2003 version. I think it had some creative scenes and good camera work. R. Lee Ermey was a dynamite character as the sheriff

Major Knight
I no she would scream so yes thats much is true, but to have a scene with one girl screaming for at least 10-15 mins in a camera that zooms in and out and kinda moves side to side made me almost lose my lunch. Was the camera man a hippie on drugs or what?
well i can say i liked RE:A because at least RE:A didn't have some of the sloppiest camera work ever, and some of the worst acting in a movie. I also liked RE:A as an action movie not a horror. So on this movie (TCM) I'm judging it as a horror movie (since it has no action) and seeing from the hole thing being overly stretched out and boring i just couldn't like this movie nor see of anyway it would even resemble horror. But it did have a good story, to bad the first played it out bad in my view.

dean7879
the camera movement was important in the torturing scene beacuse it was meant to reflect girls state of mind...it is meant to make the viewer feel uneasy when watching it..thats the whole point.....how can you say it dont resemble horror?? a group of people get murdered and get put through a terrifiying ordeal with a cannibalistic family...tell me if you eva experience anything like that..and then tell me if you still dont think it is horror

tabby999
there are some pretty big holes in this guys argument

Major Knight
Her stuck in a chair is a big torturing scene..really. well that just seemed to make the movie seem really cheesy and lame. I say it doesn't resemble horror because in this movie where "people get murdered and get put through a terrifying ordeal with a cannibalistic family" its just felt way low budget. the whole way the movie was played on kept making me taste the cheese over and over again. there was no real scare factor. I hear so many plp say they hate these fake scary movies now a days that use cheap jumps and gore to be scary but thats all this film was.

Cinemaddiction
That's bullshit because there is no gore in the movie, firstly. Secondly, if anything, it was independent shock cinema. Of COURSE it's going to look "low budget", it's an indy horror from 1973 shot on a flippin' Super 8mm camera!!!!!

It was raw, off the cuff, and had such overbearing plausibility that you CANNOT deny the possibility that what was depicted in TCM could very well be an everyday occurance in some backwater town in the boonies.

The movie was FILLED with subtle visual "hints". Leatherface slamming the door and you have no clue what's going to happen next. That says so much more than watching him hack some poor kid to pieces. Scenes like that added to the mystery, the fear of the unknown, which is what drives true horror. Not predictable, cliched goings-on like in todays movies.

The content of the movie isn't what was scary, it was after the fact, when you finish it, thinking about how utterly realistic what we just saw very well could be. You don't even have to suspend reality in a movie like this, because you can percieve it as realistic. THAT is what makes a movie scary.

Wolfie
I found the scene where she's tied to the chair very scary.

We hate unrealistic films that had the money to make it realistic and were filmed closer to date. Okay, so the original TCM didn't look real. We have to understand that it was made in the '70s and had a low budget.

dean7879
i give up.. just enjoy underworld and resident evil apocalypse which are obviously better films than tcm could eva hope to be Happy Dance

tabby999
and i thought you were a fan of horror for a minute there too...

dean7879
i am smile

Cinemaddiction
Sarcasm, Tabs. Deano's just isn't as blatantly obvious as mine, sometimes.

Major Knight
Well see there's something i didn't know, i thought it was saposta be some expensive huge movie. i wondered why it felt to weak.

There's alot of movies that could happen in real life but it doesn;t make them really scary (example "saw"wink i feel it was the way it was done. And this one was not done right i think.

I did like the slamming and stuff being hidden and the screams(the not 10 minute ones). it did have a feel but the way it was pulled of just didn;t hit the spot for me.

even though u will hate me for saying this, i found the newer one a little better, just because it had that feel you were talking about (it has the slamming the door,but not much stuff hidden). yet was more easy on the eyes and did a good job with the action and horrible scenes (like when the girl shoots her self in the head. but the new also one relied on to much pop ups and cheap scares as well.

Zilverz
You my friend watch movies in a detached state. I do not know if it is possible for you, but getting a little more involved with the main character would have helped you understand the insanity of that scene. You would feel/understand the horror and desperation she felt and climaxed like the rest of us.

tabby999
Major Knight, that stupid head shot was deleiberatly put in as "wow" factor. and its freaking stupid. if you were packing heat all that time, wouldn't you have thought of maybe SHOOTING LEATHERFACE? but no, you run away and shoot yourself. stupid start to a pointless movie

dean7879
some people dont appreciate a classic

tabby999
indeed

Major Knight
Umm..I don't think she had the gun the whole time, she prolly found it on the way getting away from that family. And to say i don't enjoy a classic, well maybe but whats to say this movie is a "classic".

dean7879
theres no way the remake could have the same impact on people that the original had...absolutly no way...the remake is very good i'll say that but i think it is unfair to compare the remake to the original...i can see why u think the remake is better but if u watch the old one again and watch it carefully and then think to yourself..why has this film got so much hype..then maybe u will appreciate it more

tabby999
bollocks to that major knight. as if you simply "find" a gun on the side of the road, what a weak attempt at explaining that. and its a classic because it is one of the movies quoted by many, many directors and fans as one of the best horror movies ever. it is one of the movies that raised the bar in horror and made a whole new set of people want to try make their own.

SlipknoT
we wouldnt have 3/4 of the horror movies we have today if it werent for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original).

Wolfie
Very true, SlipknoT. Leatherface is the first slasher, no?

Cinemaddiction
Nah. "Bay of Blood" by Mario Bava, most would say. But, by definition, "Halloween" really kick started the actual slasher genre.

spidergrl
I personal thought that it was crap. i wasn't scared at all and there were too many bits where you were like ohhh dear god they did this in the movie....

tabby999
wasn't Psycho really the first slasher?

eggmayo
i think psychos more psychological then slasher.

dean7879
i thought black christmas was the first slasher

tabby999
a very debateable subject isn't it

~FreAk'n*WeiRd~
i like TC coz in other thriller movies theres heaps of suspence and shit so i like it how leatherface just comes running out at his victims and u dont have to wait....

anyone else no what im on bout???

dean7879
yeah i get ya

Major Knight
maybe she went in someones house and took it, found it in a store or w/e. i cant believe your actually arguing about this, i don't think any director would make a scene where a gun has the power to pop up in a girls hand. I'm sorry but there are many ways she could have got that gun.

BackFire
Who cares where she got the gun? It was still a piece of shit movie that was predictable, simplistic, boring and tired.

spidergrl
agree totali with you backfire

tabby999
indeed

spidergrl
lol

Major Knight
hmm sounds alot like the original.

Scarpa
The original TCM was pure gold even though it has crappy film and poor acting it was still good.

R0B
What looked more realistic. Leatherface sawing a guys guts out while hes in a wheelchair or a weak woman chopping leatherfaces arm off in a matter of 4 chops with a meat cleaver? I mean come on the original is way more realistic in every way. The mask is way better and dosnt look like a peice of shit mask that you can get at party city like the one in the remake. And the murder scenes were way more realistic. What would you do if you were tied to a chair in a house full of cannibals? Im sure you would scream or cry. They made the movie as realistic as horror gets and thats what makes the movie one of the best horror movies ever.

eggmayo
^^^ what he said!

SlipknoT
I know. How could little Jessica beal chop off Leatheface's huge arm in a matter of 4 chops with a small meat cleaver.

Scarpa
Yeah that was a retarted scene

Wolfie
I think what Major Knight meant was the wheelchair guy didn't look real when Leatherface was sawing him in half, a dummy or something. Doesn't matter though.

tabby999
Major Knight, if the origonal is so damn awful, why would they re make it? really, they dont re make movies that were shit and had no fans do they. no they remake succesfull movies because that way, even if the movie is a appsolute DOG (like the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre) people still watch it to see what the people remaking it have done to their beloved classic, so that good or bad, they make money.
old movie = classic horror
new movie = generic shit

dean7879
100% agree
well said son

Major Knight
Maybe they remade it because they thought it had a little potential (they were wrong). I know the remake sucked but all I'm saying was at least it entertained me, like it was fake as hell like the girl cutting off the arm but with all the action and brutal scenes (guys finger nails go off on the wall ughh), it was just entertaining. the original to me was just as fake to me but not entertaining at all, just really annoying to me. so thats why i like watching the newer one more. i don't love or really like either for that matter but i do at least feel the other felt better.

dean7879
you dont remake films that might have a little potential..ya big headed git
this arguments gettin old

Major Knight
Depending on what your taste are, i could think of some movies that were re made that i couldn't;t stand in any version. like Dawn of the Dead.

dean7879
dawn of the dead is a classic

Major Knight
You might think so, but to me when i heard of it i thought it would be a classic movie with plenty of killing and unrealistic amounts of blood. but when i watched both versions i was confused why some one would make a zombie movie with every one in a mall for more then 75% of the movie. just not what i thought was anything near entertaining. and i hate the ending.

dean7879
doctor

so what do u consider a classic?
id really like to know

Wolfie
I bet the movie he says is no older than ten years old.

tabby999
the 75% of the movie with people in the mall is the directors way of showing social comentary in the movie, as we see in the development of the characters

Cinemaddiction
"Dawn of the Dead", in my opinion was a really good vehicle for Romero getting across his social commentary, being consumerism in the late 70's. That said, I don't think it was as effective as it could have been in regards to a true "Horror" movie.

"Classic" is usually reserved for older films, who's innovation could be felt for years to come, a la early Sci Fi. "Dawn" is heralded as a horror classic, IMO, mostly because of the smart approach Romero took. It wasn't just another Horror movie, it had an effective message, and some great gore, thanks to Tom Savini.

Romero is the granddaddy of zombie flicks. Bar none.

Major Knight
I ment a classic zombie movie, you know fighting, shooting, killing.

Major Knight
Many movies seem to show some great character development without taking 75% of the movie.

tabby999
i didn't say it was all devoted to the development of character, i said it was the director putting his SOCIAL COMMENTARY in the movie, the character development is ONE of the ways he did this...

Major Knight
True but im saying in the end it doesn't need to be all at once in a mall for most of the movie, even "28 Days Later" made it more acceptable with more of a talk then go, talk then go again. My main point still being most people are renting this movie for action and zombies, but there getting a episode of friends stuck in a mall, i think thats why i was most disappointed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.