What was wrong with Darth Maul?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sicky666
Don't mistake me I see Darth Maul as a Master, he's great, but it is obvious there is something wrong with him. Maybe Darth Sidious didn't trained him too well, because he died too soon. But I don't think that is the case, I think Darth Maul made himself a big mistake, or maybe he wasn't yet ready for this...

Let me know what u think of it...

...We will always remember Darth Maul in our hearts and souls....

Darth Subjekt
he was too cocky. thats all....he had them both beat, but he wanted to play with OB1 too much. He should of cut his hands off when he was hanging, or just hit him in the head.

So all in all....he was too damn stupid.

Sicky666
Finally someone agrees....

SnakeEyes
He was too cocky. He had the oppurtunity to kill Obi-wan when he was hanging there, but chose just to taunt him, giving Obi the chance to turn the tables and waste DM.

Flying Ferret
Darth Maul was so misused. He could've survived. He could've been the one to take Dooku's role in AOTC. It certainly would've added some intrigue and desire to see the next film: "Will Obi-Wan have his revenge on Darth Maul?"

It's just some fan speculation....

Ushgarak
He would have been useless in Dooku's role. He had one purpose only- he was a disposable villain and he died at the right time.

The posters above talking of why are correct.

rajah kalantiaw
darth maul could never fill in dooku's shoes. his powers are still under developed... at least from what we've seen. maul's death was just a product of arrogance and dumb-assity.

)-(&C]{£R
yes it is simple for him to just stomp on OB wans hands but then the suspension of the movie would be gone. Also GL obviously didn't want OB to die.

It was just stupid from our view, coz in real life people don't just taunt. If they have the opportunity to finish off somebody, they do it!

Darth_Nefarus
Sidioud purposely filled Maul's head with thoughts of him being invincible so that he would believe that no one could defeat him. Resourceful Obi-Wan escaped and slew Maul.
If you think about it, the same thing has to happen to Anakin; he's more powerful than Obi-Wan and better than he is, but Obi-Wan turns Anakins anger against him and that's how he succeeds.

Darth Subjekt
Yea, its like the military...you have two types of people, soldiers(maul), and officers(Dooku). One gets paid to go out and fight, and others get paid to use their minds. I dont think anyone charged Maul with being a smart guy, ...he tattooed his face.....anyway, not saying that Dooku cant fight...but he's smarter in the ways of the force and the world, more so than Maul. I actually think Maul would stand up better against Anakin than Dooku, just because of youth, and agility. But Maul died right on schedule.

Darth_Nefarus
Dude, Imagine if Maul had survived, and Dooku was just another Dark Jedi being used by Sidioud (Like Grievous)
Ten more years, with the way he trained, he would have easily kicked Anakin and Obi-Wan's asses.
And then we'd see an epic triangle battle between Dooku, Maul and Anakin.
Can you say DARK

Ushgarak
I can also say 'pointless'.

Sith Master X
I agree with Ush. Maul died at the right time.

Darth Subjekt
Youre all right. But he died at the right moment. I just dont think he would have been smart enough to help rule the galaxy....as he proved. I think Anakin still would have dispenced of him quickly. I also think ep3 Anakin would easily kill ep1 OB1.

cylob49
i think it wouldve been better to have one solid villan throughout all 3 prequels as opposed to 2 underused villains
and judging from what ive read make that 3 with grevious

roundisfunny
When I read the subject line, I thought about saying something like "He didn't get enough attention as a child...." Then I realized that he must have been a child at one time. A sweet, innocent baby boy with a black-and-red head with several horns on it. That's more than a little disturbing, especially when you consider that his parents, indeed, his whole planet probably looked similar to him.

Darth Subjekt
The black and red thing are tattoos that he put on his face. Theres a couple of his species in the jedi order, one on the council actually.

Darth_Nefarus
Yeah, those tatts were part of his devotion to his master. He wanted to prove he was the most dedicated Sith in history.

tpaquin
And, see, he got the tatoos because the regular guys without them looked so stupid.

Darth Subjekt
this is all too true. I think Maul looked dope. If that bastard walked up on me in a bar and was like, "buy me a brew"....he'd be sippin a keg before his sentence was finished.

§pearhead
Maul has no personality; his two lines can be summed up to "KILL ALL JEDI!" he has no grand scheme, no higher purpose...he was a bullet that Sidious shot at the Jedi. End. There's nothing else for him.

Flying Ferret
Sure, but is that "Star Wars?" Shows how weak and pointless these movies have become... I mean, he really was nothing. The droids in AOTC did far more damage than Maul ever did. What's the big deal? Why is the council all worried about the "Sith" anyway? Yes, I'm facetious.

Flying Ferret
I'm just going to re-iterate... Why should the Jedi be so concerned about the Sith. The lousy "rule of two" really keeps them down, and they have no true means of being a real "revenge." Why should they be concerned? What, just only two Darths so long ago cause so much havoc and chaos and destruction? It doesn't make sense to me. From what I see, it took only one Jedi to take out a Sith, and he was even incapacitated for a moment!

Defenders will say, "but it was the student, not the master they took out."

And I say, but then how come Yoda and Mace are in question about it, especially if the master is suppose to be "more powerful" than the student?

There should have been more Sith, and Maul should've been a much more serious threat than what he was. From what I saw in the films he didn't do much. Half-heartedly chased after the princess, gave up, went to Naboo, didn't do much else, fought the Jedi. That's it.

Darth Subjekt
Well i don't know if back-stories are considered canon, no-canon, or EU, but maul in his lifetime has killed i believe 7 Jedi, before he took out Qui-Gon, who was considered to be one of the best Jedi there was. Now I'm not disagreeing that Maul should have done more in the movie, but his destiny was fulfilled. He got the Sith back on the minds of the Jedi, so it as somewhat of a constant chatter amongst them, hence maybe raising some eyebrows about their being and power(possibly anakin).

I think Palps knew all along that he would eventually get Anakin as an apprentice, and thats why he sent maul out then. I also think Maul knew about his plan for Ani and thats why he tried to mow him over. If Maul had been more disciplined, i think he could have cut a bigger chunk out of the whole Jedi order than he did.

I think the reason for the Jedi's concern, was if the Sith master is destroyed, then so is the apprentice, SOOO, they were wondering if they had another one to worry about. You would think that they would then beef up training and all that just in case. But they have no idea of the amount of power that Sidious has, so they have no idea how to train for it. I read somewhere that we will see the true essence and power of the darkside and will see things we never dreamed of.

MornGlory
Darth Maul was just cheesy

Flying Ferret
I'm serious!! Forget the EU, and I thought that wasn't considered canon here. If the Sith were serious about "taking over the universe," especially with the ridiculous "Rule of Two" in place, why risk losing an apprentice? Why waste all the time and effort in training and finding a student, train, only to lose them so pointlessly? There was real no point for Maul to fight QG and OB1. Hypothetically, if he had won, what then?

He's a throwaway villain, you say---yeah, so. Then I wasted several minutes in watching a duel that was for nothing.

I think Palps knew all along that he would eventually get Anakin as an apprentice, and thats why he sent maul out then. I also think Maul knew about his plan for Ani and thats why he tried to mow him over. If Maul had been more disciplined, i think he could have cut a bigger chunk out of the whole Jedi order than he did.

Where from do you infer this? Again, so many plotpoints, et. al. are inferred from sources outside the films themselves. Lucas failed in the prequels. Everything you need to know about characters, situations, etc., fit comfortably within the OT. You don't need to read the book, buy the video games, watch fanfilms, etc., etc... to know exactly what's going on in the original films.

Too often, people try to explain the inconsistencies in the prequels with thoughts, quotes, etc. They come up with some cockneyed explanation and try to apply it. If you need that much effort, and that much explanation to watch these films, then how can they be entertaining!? Lucas failed. He succeeded the first time with the OOT, he failed later in life with the PT. He let too much time pass, he got old and stale, his skills as a writer/director/producer atrophied and it shows.

Darth Subjekt
Honestly, no one analyzes it like you. I watch it and enjoy it. But people come here to discuss different theories. I don't understand why you cant understand that. You want everyone to listen to you and all your arguments, but you don't listen to anyone else. Every time you read what someone else thinks you just say how stupid it is, and how much you despise SW. Well then why watch it if it pisses you off so much? you make all the inconsistent quotes. Thats the point of a forum, for people to come together and exchange notes, ideas, and thoughts. So why do you down talk all that.

MornGlory
Darth Maul was so GAY - he was so cheesy!!!

i really hated him -- but was a good fight scene at the end of Ep I - with Liam Niesson and Ewan McGregor

Flying Ferret
Topic... "What's wrong with Maul..." I think I'm in the right topic. I have every right to be here and complain.

First, I've only seen Episode I only twice. First because it said "Star Wars" on it, and the second time to see if I really saw what I saw. My brother gave me the DVD just to irk me, but have not watched it since. I watched AOTC because I thought it would "make-up" for TPM and people told me I couldn't say anything bad about it until I saw it. So, out of obligation to them, and the hopes that'd it'd be better. It wasn't. At this pace, do you think I expect much from ROTS. Like I told someone else in another thread... If I like it, you'll be the first to know. My true hope for ROTS is if it's good enough, I can simply ignore the first two. We'll see, won't we?

But for now, I will continue to complain as much and often as I want.

And you know what, it's not that much analyzing.... It's just a little simple logic...

Darth_Nefarus
Ferret, Sidious used people the way he did, because he knew that if he manipulated everyone in a certain fashion, and did evereything carefully enough, he could manipulate Anakin, the being born to destroy Sidious, to the darkside. He knew with Vader as his enforcer, no one could stand up to his rule, and the only real threat to him was now his toy.

Darth Subjekt
But for now, I will continue to complain as much and often as I want.

Ya know what. You have the mentality of a 12 year old. "ill do what i want, when i want." Dude, stfu. Ive tried to look at your posts with an open mind, but you contradict everything you say. You say you'll complain all you want, and you want us to deal with it and accept what you say, but if we complain, or use "logic" against you, you cry about it and say we shouldn't do it. If something makes you mad or disappoints you, WHY do you watch it or talk about it? And if you really did use your "simple logic" as you claim to do, you'll notice that i said nothing about you stopping or not to do that. I asked you "why". Which is a question rather than a statement. So your little comment is lacking in validity, as i never told you to stop sine the first time we've exchanged words.

Are you a little kid, or a grown man living in his rich parents basement? Seriously, because you have that mindset that says, "whatever i say is right and you're wrong no matter what." Why don't you just open up your mind to other people's opinions,....as you would like all of us to do.....

Flying Ferret
Ya know what. You have the mentality of a 12 year old. "ill do what i want, when i want."

Then I'm only emulating the man you idolize---George Lucas.

Darth Subjekt
Ok, when did I EVER say that i idolize George Lucas? I never did. And all your last post did, was let me further know, that i'm correct in my statement that you quoted.
So thank you for proving me right. And make sure you tell mom and dad to turn up the heat....basements get cold this time of year.

Flying Ferret
It's so easy to attack someone when you can't refute their points. Show me where I'm inconsistent. WHERE?

Jackie Malfoy
Yea he did die too soon.But maybe he let that happen because he did kill Qie gunn so he did what he wanted to do.That is my thought on it anyway.JM

Darth Subjekt
you're saying that Maul wanted to die? No.....he looked pretty surprised when he got cut up. I think he just underestimated OB1. He died right at the right time, he doesn't have the intelligence to help mastermind the takeover of the galaxy.

antoinew888
yo u kno dey werent tattoos on his face wen he turns dark his face turns red an black an if u notice wen hes not his face wud b gray u dumbasses

Dimmimar
Originally posted by Flying Ferret
I'm serious!! Forget the EU, and I thought that wasn't considered canon here. If the Sith were serious about "taking over the universe," especially with the ridiculous "Rule of Two" in place, why risk losing an apprentice? Why waste all the time and effort in training and finding a student, train, only to lose them so pointlessly? There was real no point for Maul to fight QG and OB1. Hypothetically, if he had won, what then?

He's a throwaway villain, you say---yeah, so. Then I wasted several minutes in watching a duel that was for nothing.

Where from do you infer this? Again, so many plotpoints, et. al. are inferred from sources outside the films themselves. Lucas failed in the prequels. Everything you need to know about characters, situations, etc., fit comfortably within the OT. You don't need to read the book, buy the video games, watch fanfilms, etc., etc... to know exactly what's going on in the original films.

Too often, people try to explain the inconsistencies in the prequels with thoughts, quotes, etc. They come up with some cockneyed explanation and try to apply it. If you need that much effort, and that much explanation to watch these films, then how can they be entertaining!? Lucas failed. He succeeded the first time with the OOT, he failed later in life with the PT. He let too much time pass, he got old and stale, his skills as a writer/director/producer atrophied and it shows.

The entire point of the rule of two is to stop the Sith tearing themselves apart, like they tend to do.

Originally posted by antoinew888
yo u kno dey werent tattoos on his face wen he turns dark his face turns red an black an if u notice wen hes not his face wud b gray u dumbasses

He had his face tatooed, oh and please post in semi-legible sentences.

Lord Janus
I'm just going to re-iterate... Why should the Jedi be so concerned about the Sith. The lousy "rule of two" really keeps them down, and they have no true means of being a real "revenge." Why should they be concerned? What, just only two Darths so long ago cause so much havoc and chaos and destruction? It doesn't make sense to me. From what I see, it took only one Jedi to take out a Sith, and he was even incapacitated for a moment!

And I say, but then how come Yoda and Mace are in question about it, especially if the master is suppose to be "more powerful" than the student?

There should have been more Sith, and Maul should've been a much more serious threat than what he was. From what I saw in the films he didn't do much. Half-heartedly chased after the princess, gave up, went to Naboo, didn't do much else, fought the Jedi. That's it.

I think you're totally missing the point here: the fact that the Sith reemerged after a thousand years of being basically out of the picture and attack two jedi would be disturbing, because you have no idea what they're planning of if the one that was killed was the biggest threat. For all they could have guessed, the fallen Sith's master could have engineered their very destruction. And he did. Their fears and concerns were totally justified, and STILL Sidious remained undetected. If you're a soldier in a jungle outpost and you see a VC pop out of it and attack, aren't you gonna be a little bit concerned about your safety and the safety of the outpost?

As for Maul's purpose, it is twofold: He's there to appeal to fans (Which was a tremendous success; there are more Maul pictures on the internet than Obi-Wan) and to make an enemy for the sake of making one. Dooku was not even completely thought out (And most likely not thought of) at this point. Besides, it would make no sense if Maul was on Dooku's level of plotuse (Or was Dooku even) and was the errand boy in the first episode. He's too useful in another role. Maul, however, was a perfect minion to use- he stirred up the pot in the chaos around Naboo, which resulted in hostilities and advancements in the Separatist movement, and he showed the Jedi (arrogantly, even) that the Sith were back. But by sending such a brainless fool to go and either win or get killed, Sidious undermined the Jedi's confidence. It was a total success.

Dan Skywalker
My mates all love Darth Maul, i hated him for the fact that he was so blind to the Palpatines need just to use him for a weapon, atleast Dooku had a political use and understood what it meant to be Sith, and therefore was interesting. Maul just said and did very little, and when in 1999 I was used to the power of watching Vader in Star Wars and Darth Maul walked on the screen, i wasnt impressed.

JenR1215
Darth Maul was sexy.....

He was suduced by the "Dock Side."

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Sicky666
Don't mistake me I see Darth Maul as a Master, he's great, but it is obvious there is something wrong with him. Maybe Darth Sidious didn't trained him too well, because he died too soon. But I don't think that is the case, I think Darth Maul made himself a big mistake, or maybe he wasn't yet ready for this...

Let me know what u think of it...

...We will always remember Darth Maul in our hearts and souls....
firstly, he is an apprentice, not a master. secondly, he was a tool for sidious, nothing more. maul was a killing machine. in my opinion, i agree with some others here in saying he was too cocky for his own good. he should have killed obi wan when he had the chance, but chose to toy with him and paid for it with his life.

darth athieis
have any of you guy ever played kotor 2???? maul wasnt born with a black and red face, as he became more and more evil he eventualy gained that face. he never tatooed it either! If youve played knights of the old republic 2 the sith lords you would know that his race is born with the outlining indents in his face and since he is trained by palpatine he was able to become powerfull and the more powerful and evil he got the more red and black his face got.

JenR1215
i'd probably s--- in my pants if sumthing like that came up to me.

I be like... "whaaaa... wtf did i smoke?"

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by darth athieis
have any of you guy ever played kotor 2???? maul wasnt born with a black and red face, as he became more and more evil he eventualy gained that face. he never tatooed it either! If youve played knights of the old republic 2 the sith lords you would know that his race is born with the outlining indents in his face and since he is trained by palpatine he was able to become powerfull and the more powerful and evil he got the more red and black his face got.
first, that is EU. second, you are wrong. the red and blacks parts of his body are tattoos.

Darth_Emodas

There couldn't be more Sith, because according to EU the ancient Sith Empire fell apart due to the Dark side's natural tendency to corrupt and subvert.

That may or may not be canonical, but can you see 12 sith getting along and working together? They desire power above all else which would pit them against each other as much as their enemies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.