Not board related but please help!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Edna Witch
I am having problems with my internet access at the moment. The problems I used to have were due to the network being overloaded but now my problem seems to be something different. The network i sno longer overloaded because a good 75 percent of the users have now gone home for easter.

You see the connection is once again still fast but it doesn't seem to want to load any secure web pages. YOu know the ones that start "https". This means I cannot access either my hotmail or my college email. It also will not connect to icq! I don't understand it because everything else is really fast, the board, google, sw.com etc...

Anyone got any ides what is wrong? Raz? sad

Raz
Just need some more info before can proceed smile

Are you access the internet through a proxy/firewall? If you don't know then check from Tools->Internet Options->Connections->Lan Connections->Proxy Server. Does it have anything in it? Is it greyed out or just blank?

yerssot
if you're not on ICQ, tell your sister to get of your computer at home then wink

Edna Witch
The first bit is just balvk but the second part is greyed out.

Yerss what on earth are you talking about. My sister doesn't even live at home. She lives in Putney!

yerssot
balvk?

hehe, and now everyone knows you have a sister big grin

Edna Witch
OK Raz the bit that says use a proxy server for your lan is blank bit then the boxes for address and port etc are greyed out.

Raz
OK. Click Start->Run

Type in "command" without quotes.

Then type "ping google.com" without quotes.

Post what you get here.

Edna Witch
Pinging google.com with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.16.0.1: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 172.16.0.1: Destination host unreachable.

Ping Statistics for 216.239.51.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximun = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Raz
Looks like you're on a transparent overloaded proxy.

Go back to the command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" and post here.

Edna Witch

Raz
OK, you're on a private network i.e. an intranet rather than hooked up directly to the internet.

That means to access the internet you have to go through a firewall/proxy. Now it seems like the people who provide the net are using the transparent proxy.

Theres not much you can do, as you can't even contact an external site directly. You should be able to use MSN as that can use the HTTP protocol.

What I would suggest is that you contact the people you pay for net ask them to enable HTTPS on the proxy and enable the ports required for ICQ.

Not much else you can do Edna, as the firewall its just doing its job and blocking all the non-standard ports. Seems like the admin guys forgot to enable secure HTTP....which is VERY strange as its used a LOT.

Raz
Assuming you're at Uni, check out your neighbours computer and see if they are having the same problems.

If not, then we'll work on fixing your computer smile

Edna Witch
Hmmm it used to work before. They must have started using a new firewall because we have been infexted by the Nimda virus. I have just got it off of my computer thank goodness!

Raz
Check someone elses computer and see if they are having the same problem.

And why aren't you running an up-to-date Anti Virus program????

Edna Witch
It's a new computer. Haven't got round to it yet.

I can't check with neighbours. They have all gone home. except Chris. He should still be here as he goes to Imperial too.

Raz
OK, let us know what you find out.

Has this problem only started since you got the new computer?

Edna Witch
I can't get hold of Chris.

Just go to bed if you want to Raz. Thanks for the help anyway! It was very kind of you. I will let you know when I find out if Chris has the same problem. Thanks for the help!

Raz
Sorry I can't be of more help. If you had your proxy details, it would be a little easier.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.