Sage Francis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hh?
read Bulletproof Beardo comment...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063Y38/qid=1102301464/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4010006-9085750?v=glance&s=music

ElectricBugaloo what you think?

ElectricBugaloo
I this thread will be merged with the one I made before, but I'll answer anyways ; )

OK, after reading that, I think that he never really said anything about the album. He attacked the reviewers instead, he never addressed anything about the album, instead he made sweeping generalities about Anticon artists (of course, before all this, he made sure we knew he was educated--because that matters in music, which is why so many great musicians have degrees from college).

He attacks the production of the songs, but that is not supposed to be the star in a hip hop album like this. The real draw of the album is Sage Francis' lyrics. He talks about his life in a frank, common-sense way that many emo artists cannot duplicate, let alone hip hop MCs.

In fact, the only thing that he attacks Sage himself is on the song "Mermaids Are Sea Sluts"--which does not appear on Personal Journals.

He uses this quote as the only thing close to hard evidence (though it is from a member that he previously insulted): "It's not poetry, it's not rap, it's nothing but diluted self-involvement overly strenuous trying to be cutting edge beats with no real heart or point."

This quote was not originally about Sage, and in fact, does not apply at all. As I said before, the beats are not particulary complicated in Personal Journals. If Sage was going for cutting edge beats, then he failed miserably, because there is nothing close to cutting edge beats on the whole album. The beats are not without heart--they just aren't really that important in anything else but helping set the tone of the song.

I think that person does not know what they are talking about and are auditioning for a spot on the pitchfork staff.

Afro Cheese
This isn't the first time I've seen someone with that attitude. Many hip hop fans hate "backpacker" type artists like Sage Francis because of their elitist type of fans and their abstract lyrics. It's all just a matter of opinion. If he doesn't dig the underground stuff... let him have his fun listening to jadakiss.. doesn't bother me.

ElectricBugaloo
No, the problem with his thing is he never actually addresses the music. He makes one or two ill-informed statements that have to do with music the entire time. Hating the fans does not mean that the artist is like his/her fans.

Its no problem if he doesn't like this type of music, but he never says that. He just starts by asserting his intellectual superiority, then he acts like that is his mandate to make whatever statements he wants and we have to take him at his word--after all, he's educated.

Afro Cheese
Yeah I know his statement doesn't address the music. I think that he only made that comment to spite the fans, which is why I brought up that being one of the reasons some people are "anti underground" so to speak. I doubt he even listened to the album. He already had biased feelings against Sage obviously.. so I don't know why he'd waste his time listening to his album.

ElectricBugaloo
BTW, anyone else listened to A Healthy Distrust yet? I really like it, it's very different than the whole Sick Of... series and PErsonal Journals and takes a few listens, but it's grown on me. He seems to be doign less introspection and he's a little more bitterly angry.

hh?
not yet

Revernd Maynard
Just started listening to Sage...great lyrics and great music

Ronny
I really like his work stick out tongue But I dont really pay attention to anything else going on in the world of hippity hop

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Ronny
I really like his work stick out tongue But I dont really pay attention to anything else going on in the world of hippity hop boo yeah dancingman

tabby999
i've heard a few things Sage has done, i really like what i've heard so far, but i've never had the money to get his albums

Deathblow
I liked the Non Prophets album, but on his own he bores me.

Phat J
i feel the exact same way ^^^

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.