Do you think you are lieing to your kids when you tell them about santa?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
My mom or dad never told me about santa because they said that it is lieing to the kids.
And it is in a way.I mean you are telling the kids that santa is real and he is not and when they find ouit the truth,
Sometimes those kids are upset and accusing there parents that they lied to them.What do you think/JM mad Happy Dance

furryman
well yeah it is technically lying.. although it's fun to have the novelty as a young child.

Capt_Fantastic
My parents told me the truth when I was three and asked them to explain how one man got all over the world in one night. And more importantly, why I saw them(my parents) placing presents out under the tree the night before.

I was a pessimist, even at the age of three.

Jackie Malfoy
That is true Furryman but you do think it is lieing to them right?JM

Kagome H.
I believe that it is lying and that parents should not tell their kids stuff like Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. There's no reason for it.

Clovie
i actually always knew it's not real. erm

but never admitted that tongue10

Linkalicious
damn right it's lying...and they should get used to being lied to.

yerssot
it won't last long in the states till a kid sues his parents for traumatising him/her for life cause of this roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jackie Malfoy
I think I argee with Kagome on this one!Clovie you should be a shame of yourself!jk!JM

pr1983
i dont see it as wrong, it gives them a bit of magic, and i have no problem with that. sure its a little white lie, but i dont mind.

sim0921
Of course it's lying. I know i got really pissed at the age of 4 when i found out the truth stick out tongue
Anyway, it makes a small kid happy. Besides, it's a great way of convincing a 5 year old to behave and be good. My parents did it to me, now im doing it to my brother big grin. Whenever he tries to do something stupid, im like "santa's watching you", or "do you still want that present?"
Lol, kids are so cute...

Silver Stardust
I found out Santa wasn't real when I was 3 years old and found my presents in the back of my mom's closet laughing out loud

I never really believed in Santa anyway...he's supposed to go down chimneys, and we always lived in a house that didn't have one wink heh...

silver_tears
Wait a tick......there's no Santa? cry

sim0921
hmm.....let me think.....NO!

WindDancer
Parents don't lie. stick out tongue

Here is good Ol' Saint Nick!

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

Silver Stardust
*pats Irene on the head*

There there, you'll be okay...

silver_tears
But.....but.......what about the tutu I wanted? bawling

sim0921
laughing out loud

Clovie
why? schmoll

SlipknoT
I think santa is a good think, I really couldnt imagine christmas without santa and all of that stuff. But I found out when I was 6.

yerssot
when you go on on this, in the end the kid will only get some attention on his/her birthday... and then you gotta think: why give presents there? what's the big deal? you were born X years ago so better throw a dinner together than presents
and before you know it, you celebrate nothing and die alone as a bitter old (wo)man

Mane
My parents always taught me Santa was fake because they would rather me be thankful to them and not to an imaginary icon

Ronny
no,

santa exists eek!

Imperial_Samura
Well, I think it is just a fun part of the whole modern day, commercial Christmas tradition. I don't see a real problem with it. It adds a sense of magic to it. And it works as a way of getting kiddies to be on there best behaviour in the days leading up to Christmas....

Darth Revan
Obviously it's lying, because you're telling them something that's not true. But it was always fun as a young'n santa

finti
To tell kids about Santa aint a worse lie compare to all the other lies presented to kids so................

Imperial_Samura
And of course some parents don't actually sit their children down and say "Well, Santa brings your gifts", sometimes kids just pick it up, and parents decide not to correct the assumption. Not really lying.

KharmaDog
I find it interesting that all the people that think its wrong (or most anyway) are 22 years old or younger, most actually still teenagers.

I know I will be accused of ageism here, but I think as you get older, you will see the point of the whole santa claus thing and get it.

Christmas is a religious holiday. Most parents use the myth of Santa to perpetuate the christmas spirit in their child. A child can relate to a fat happy dude whose main goal in live is to make other people happy easier than they can relate to the intircasies of the christian religion. As kids get older, and they realize santa is not real, you can tell them that at one point St. Nicholas was a real person who embodied the spirit of christmas and the benevolence of the christmas spirit.

If you're that angry that your parents lied to you to make your life a little more innocent, and bring a little happiness or magic into your childhood, get a grip. They were only trying to make the world look like a nicer place before you were old enough to figure out that it was a total shit-hole.

pr1983
i'm 21 and i think its ok to let them believe stick out tongue,

but i understand your point kharma.

naybean
i think its great that kids think santa exists - it makes christmas so much more magical and exciting. Yeah its lying so what? its not like its a spiteful lie or anything its a bit of fun.

DebbyG
Yes its lying but it's normal for children to believe in Santa so its not really bad because it just makes Christmas a bit more magical for them. I think they should be able to enjoy sitting on Santa's knee and all the stuff children do while they can because you know the truth a lot longer than you believe in Santa. It's not like any child's going to be traumatized because ultimatley all they want is the presents.

amity75
I don't think I ever believed in Santa. As a kid my parents made me go to Sunday school and I figured that if Santa existed then he'd have got a mention in the bible.

Jackie Malfoy
Don't you think through that it is taking the real reason of what Christmas is really about away?JM

Darth Revan
It's not like 90% of people who celebrate Christmas are religious anyways...

A4E
oh please no kid in the human world would ACTUALLY be mad at his parents cuz they wanted to make christmas an exiting day of the year

Samurai Guy
It is not lying.

It is deceiving. Blackmailing if you will.

Extra assurance that you children with KIND OF behave.

Jackie Malfoy
Yea and if they don't they get gifts anyway.Kids will figure it out.and yes some kids do get mad at there parents.JM

yerssot
yeah, we should urgently get back to celebrate the all mighty god Saturn and the rebirth of the sun god!
testify girl! eek!

Fiery Eyes
A little white lie lol a lie is a lie, there's no in between is there? lol I think not.

Scarpa
Its harmless fun that brings joy into young childrens lives. I acutally was never told the truth I just eventurally figured it out when i realized that my parents handwriting looked just like santas

Fiery Eyes
same here, I was never told there wasn't a real Santa, just figured it out. Geee i'm smart lol

Darth_Big_Boy
Santa isn't real??? embarrasment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.