Explosions in Spain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

finti
It is said there were 4 explotions on the morning trains into Madrid, Spain. Death toll is, at the moment, 173.... this will probably increase.

The bask seperatist organisation ETA (Euzkadi Ta Azkatasuna) denys they are behind this.

It seems clear, at present time, it is a terrorist attack though even if it is unclear to what happened

........................more to come

Storm
Yes, I already heard it on the news messed

yerssot
yup same here, Batasuna, the political wing of the ETA firmly states the ETA is not responsible for this

it's not their style... normally they phone the police 15 minutes before-hand so that they have time to evacuate the vicinity, that didn't happen now

Raz
I just heard about this. So many dead sad

Der Soldat
All will become clear in time, but I have to admit it isn't the style usually adopted by the ETA.
At the same time, it doesn't seem likely that it would be any of the current 'reigning' terrorist movements, it's not their style either. And it would hardly be the target area of a movement such as the Taliban or Hussein loyalists.
We'll just have to wait and see.

yerssot
they found other bombpackages too, so all in all, it could have been worse... not that it's any comfort

Der Soldat
Well, at least those packages should give the investigating authorities some clues as to the origins of the explosives, and who may be involved.

JKozzy
Whoa.. how long ago did they happen? I just got to first period in school and I didn't hear about this on the news.. erm

yerssot
the only thing I heard was that it was during morning-traffic

Der Soldat
Some time this morning. I didn't see the news either, first time I heard of it was on here.

finti
it was this morning

Der Soldat
Do yuo know the approximate time? i.e was it at peak travelling time or at in a period when few traveller's are about?

yerssot
like I posted above: during morning-traffic, that's a peak travelling time

finti
yeah as Yersie said, morning rush hours

el_barto
so very sad sad

Fire
I doubt it was ETA I think Der Soldat had a point. with his comment on it prolly not being any current terrorist organisations. They usualy claim that they have done it. as far as I know no group has claimed these attacks

JKozzy
I really don't know much as ETA goes, but I agree Fire, that it probably wasn't them, due to the whole idea that they warn people before something, and there was no warning.. but there never should have to be a warning because nothing like this should happen... sad

Storm
There are a lot of things that should not have happened but did and, unfortunately, still do sad

Corran
Shocking News sad

Ushgarak
Well... denial or otherwise, the Spanish right now say it was the ETA.

finti
it was 13 bomb used, plus they have found some bombs that didnt blow. So it was an act of terrorism.
Wetter it was ETA or someone else remain to be seen

WindDancer
This is just horrible, I watching the news right now. sad

Fire
I didn't say it weren't terrorists, I said it is probably some -for the moment unknown- group of terrorists

finti
point taken Fire

Fire
woot I made a point

finti
can be abducted real soon though

Fire
true

eleveninches
This forum is the first I have heard of this . I havn't heard anything about it on the news.

So many people died.

sadsadsadsadsad

Do they know yet who was responsable???

yerssot
latest count is 186 dead and more than 1 000 injured

still not claimed by any organisation

rusky
Just saw the thing on the news, too..damn shame it is, that some people think this is a good way of making themselves heard..

ash007
damn this is sad but the bombing does not look like its been done by E.T.A, it seems like Al kadia might have done it.

Then again authorities stopped some people form E.T.A last week and they were found with explosives.

So not really sure in the mean while

sad

finti
one thing to think about: the choosing of the date for this cowardice action. It is another 11

yerssot
just heard; the bombing is claimed by "The Lions of Al Mufridoon", it's on a website (don't have the url)

They are a group that consists of Marrocean, Algerian and Turkish muslims. In the same report, they say this group has connections with Al-Qaeda

ash007
to tell you the truth i am not suprised that Al-Qaeda might be involed sad

finti
bear in mind that some groups will claim things like this just to get attention, but still they have to be taken serious for the time being.
There are signs that points toward several different groups but not solemly one group

Ushgarak
ETA still remains the top suspect following a preliminary analysis of the explosives, which seem to be an ETA type.

yerssot
of course fint, just that currently no-one else has claimed it

finti
we just have to wait it out

Linkalicious

yerssot
it would be nice to have a BIT of respect in this thread you know

Linkalicious
yeah i'm done posting here now....and since when do i show repect?

finti
from the time you wake up in the morning

§pearhead
Forgive my apparent ignorance, but I was wondering--why would Spain be the target for attacks at all? Shock value, perhaps?

Raz
Depends who was behind the attacks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3501364.stm

mechmoggy
Well the ETA have an ongoing land claim in Spain and the Spanish were also supporters of the US's war on terrorism. Either way, an attack like this is sickening.

However, it was good to see all the Spanish people who queued up to donate some much needed blood after the bombs went off. Well played those people.

finti
the Spanish have trouble with the separate Basks, also they were supportive of the US war on the terrorist which made them(spain) a foe to some terrorist organization

§pearhead
I read through that article, and apparently the Basques want out...what better time to do it than before election?

However, supposedly the Basques like to give warnings and signs are pointing to an al-Qaida operation, and it certainly is something they were capable of.

JKozzy
It's the 2 1/2 anniversary of 9/11... pretty pathetic, if you ask me, no coincidence. The whole 9/11: 9-1-1 connection with the number play was certainly odd and probably planned out, that was a shock. But 3/11, that's just kinda dumb... I sure hope these guys are caught quickly.

§pearhead
The only thing with 3/11 I can think of is the KKK (3 K's, K being the 11th letter in the alphabet)

JKozzy
Apparently it was Al Qaeda... or so they say they did it. erm
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=2&u=/nm/20040311/ts_nm/security_spain_qaeda_dc

Raz
From the article - "There was no way of authenticating the letter"...

§pearhead
It could just be an attempt for attention...they didn't really have clear motives erm

JKozzy
Yes, but it's still suspicious nonetheless. Like I said, "or so they say they did it." Either way, it's a dispicable act, no matter who caused it.

finti
al qaeda have warned that allys to the US will be targeted, that was on the news two weeks ago

Kes
France was warned, yesterday if I'm not mistaken, that an attack in the railroads (sp) might happen. Guess they went for Spain.
Yes, Al-qaeda (sp) has claim the attack. They cant prove that it was them thou. They have also arrested members of ETA.

JKozzy
Even if it wasn't ETA they should keep 'em arrested and locked away so they don't have the oppertunity to do anything.

Ushgarak
There are these small things called due process and justice that kinda have to be considered there, JKozzy...

Kes
We shouldnt go into ETAs reasons and all that.
This was way to close to home. With EURO 2004 so close its kinda scary.

Blind-Enemy

JKozzy
Yes, yes I know. But if we didn't have to go through all of that, it'd be beneficial.

Ushgarak
Errr... not for mankind as a whole, I think we would find!

JKozzy
Again, I know. I just mean in this specific situation.

Fire
I think chances are high it is Al-Qaeda bit late with the claim tho

yerssot
you wanted it per email?

§pearhead
I doubt that the ETA will try anything right now, Koz erm

Fire
nah yerss, I just think they could have claimed it sooner

mechmoggy
I too am worried that something may happen during Euro 04; that could put a downer on what is otherwise a great competition. sad

Kes
They took waay longer with the US.

Ushgarak
Err, well, anyway, some more recent tests have found that whilst the explosives were ETA style, the detonators appear to not be a type the ETA have used before.

yerssot
funny, cause they did e-mail it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.