Laguna Beach...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

*SpunkiE*
Anyone watch it? I didnt think it would be as entertaining as it is! All it is is a show built around a girls life, going through problems circulating around school, friends and relationships. Let us know what u guys think of it...its based in the OC, so i thought it would jst be another copy of the original OC. But i like it!

*SpunkiE*
Anyone at all?cry

Tex
Nah, I hate that show!

Although the episode where that foul mouthed midget verbally assaulted them after the blink-182 concert was fantastic! laughing out loud

BackFire
Oh, you mean OC-2, right?

*SpunkiE*
Lol, i honestly love the show...although in Australia we're only on the 2nd or 3rd ep right now. Back fire, what do ya think of it?

shugie99
I missed the finale last night but its on my tivo. I didn't like it at the begining but i thought last week's episode was really good. Its definitley gotten better.

Emma718
it's pretty good

*SpunkiE*
Lol, its REALLY good! Im addicted to it...

Emma718
I love the show now, just watched the marathon om Mtv..Stephen is hot..Stephen/LC are cool.

*SpunkiE*
shockshockshockshockshockshockshockshock
OMG!!! I missed it!!! Damn it! Did they show every episode or just the one up to Christinas bday party??

Yeah i'm in love with Stephen also, lol. (See sig below) I dont really like Lo that much, but my fav chick has to be LC.

Reckoning
There has been mentions that it is scripted.

*SpunkiE*
Yeah i heard it was but a friend that goes to that school said the storylines and stuff are real but some other things are scripted. Like, i always wondered how they get the different angles of the camera. So i guess 90% of its real.
Still, i love the show!

Reckoning
Ech. Reality TV needs to die.

*SpunkiE*
Not all of it! stick out tongue

Reckoning
Yes. All. The concepts for new shows are just getting dumber and more exploitive.

Emma718
yeah, they showed every ep, expect the season finale sad

I want your sig..lol

LC rocks...hopefully Stephen and her get together in season 2

*SpunkiE*
Oh man, i'm gonna go cry nowbawling

Emma718
aww..don't cry..it might be on again smile

*SpunkiE*
Which episode is your fave?
Mine would have to be the Cabo trip...

charmedFairy
*sighs* I dont get the difference between one tree hill, the OC and Laguna beach. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Reckoning
The cast. Aside from that, it's all the same.

Emma718
Cabo would be mine too...lots of Drama in that ep..lol

laughing

charmedFairy
yes

charlit
love it......

DarkAge
Please don't tell me people think this show is real. There's no way. Things like the lighting, characters, and situations are all too convienent. This show is FAKE.

forumcrew
here ya go..

The real story behind
'Laguna Beach'

Or perhaps the unreal story: Reality fictionalized

By Lorraine Sanders

We know this is a reality show just by its title, "Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County," and it's on MTV, which gave us "The Real World." The cameras follow eight students through their senior year of high school in Laguna Beach, Calif.
How much more real can you get?
But watching "Laguna Beach" we see something entirely different, a show far more reminiscent of "Beverly Hills, 90210" than "Real World," something almost unreal.
"Laguna Beach" appears a stylized "Sex in the City" with wealthy, gorgeous teens as cast members and social dramas that play out on the beach instead of in trendy New York bars. It's the stuff of real theater.
There are no bouncy "Cops" camera shots. There are no confessional interviews where one cast member dishes on the others. The cast never speaks directly into the camera. Our central character, Lauren, occasionally narrates.
If anything, "Laguna Beach" has almost a staged air about it. At times the dialogue sounds too totally teenie-bopper not to have been written.
What is going on here?
Good question. It's one for which Tony DiSanto doesn't have a neatly scripted answer. He may still be figuring it out himself.
"I hesitate to even use the term reality TV. It's just not what this is," says DiSanto, sounding laid back and entirely unpretentious, more like a kid from Laguna Beach than a producer of 15 years. DiSanto is an MTV senior vice president and the creator of reality hits "Made," "Boiling Points," "One Bad Trip" and "Room Raiders."
"Laguna Beach" could well be his next. After debuting two months ago, an episode of the show, which airs Tuesday nights at 10:30, ranked No. 18 among viewers 18-34 for all of October, MTV's highest-rated non-"Real World" show.
With "Laguna Beach," DiSanto says the show's creative team wanted to step outside the reality mold.
"We want to approach everything from a whole new creative angle, deliver something that hasn't been done before. It made our jobs a lot more difficult," he says.
With that in mind, DiSanto's creative crew set out to document the various lives of a real high school clique. But their aim was to do so without making it look like a documentary, and they realized that would depend heavily on getting just the right cast.
"For most reality shows, you go around the country and hand-pick people. With this show, the idea was to find a real group of friends," says DiSanto.
That the creators ended up in Laguna Beach, an idyllic setting in Orange County, is hardly surprising. Last year's surprise hit from Fox, "The O.C.," had already fascinated audiences. A show about Orange County's real quote-unquote teens was sure to follow.
And how similar these shows are, at least at first blush. On "Laguna Beach," eight perfectly coiffed, impossibly stylish high school students cruise through their hometown in expensive SUVs. Our occasional narrator, Lauren, a.k.a. "L.C.," and her friend Lo commiserate about tanned heartthrob Stephen, whose on-again, off-again girlfriend Kristen spends most of her time badmouthing L.C. and playing mind games with her male admirers.
Our kids have beach bonfires, get their nails done, head to LA fashion shows and party as only 18-year-olds can when they hit Cabo San Lucas for spring break. All that's lacking of "The O.C." is a tad more teen angst and screwed-up parents acting out for the cameras.
DiSanto downplays the "O.C." connection with a brief dismissal: "You can't really ignore the show or its success."
But there is a huge difference, says DiSanto. "Laguna Beach" is about real people, and therein rests its true art, no matter how much it looks like the dramatic series or predecessors "90210" and "Dawson's Creek."
Casting director Morgan Fahey found the future cast all attending high school in Laguna Beach.
"They all happened to be friends to varying degrees," DiSanto explains, though not exactly the insular crowd the show suggests.
After casting, the show's producers got a surprise from the local school board. A group of parents wanted to keep the show off campus, and they ultimately persuaded the board to ban cameras from school grounds, so there are no classroom scenes of students taking tests or hanging out in the cafeteria. "Laguna Beach" became a show about what high school kids do when they aren't in school, which make it a significant departure.
But the real difference is in how the show is filmed.
Instead of documentary techniques, "Laguna Beach" uses those of feature films. Producers chose not to use handheld cameras, filming the show in wide screen and intentionally using what DiSanto describes as cinematic, over-the-shoulder shots. The editing process also took cues from narrative film.
"Even the pacing of editing is different. It's done in a more narrative vein," DiSanto says.
With its cinematic look and high drama, the show has been criticized by some viewers for not being real enough. Orange County publications have quoted disgruntled Laguna Beach residents saying that the show's portrayal of their town looks nothing like their lives.
They do have a point. Perfect sunsets, a mysterious lack of parental guidance and an unbelievably beautiful cast do make "Laguna Beach" look like pure fantasy.
Yet it's this almost supernatural beauty that gives "Laguna Beach" its strength. Even when the plot falters and strays, the show remains visually hypnotic, like the glossy pages of a high-end fashion magazine.
Besides, whether the show represents the average Laguna Beach lifestyle is not a thing that's particularly tormenting DiSanto. The show is not about reality as its critics understand reality. It's about how the kids perceive their reality.
"Everyone has their own individual experience," he says. "But this is the real lives of that group of kids."

*SpunkiE*
*Standing ovation*clap

shaber
I've played a computer game with that title...

LiL nAstY GirL
OMG I watched the first episode of season two...Cedric is a moron!

Emma718
i wonder when Australia (MTV) will get season 2

itsnieca
JUST HOPE HERE "laguna beach" cast CAN GIVE TIME OR CHANCE FOR FANS...LIKE ME..
attention to the people managing the tv series of course,,,hahaha
wink

itsnieca
stephen pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaase...

well ol i can say iz that im just here...supporting the laguna beach forever..
just hoping as well that they can give chance and time for people like me whoz been always dying for all the cast.special mention to stephen...

i mean be with the cast n crews....>>laguna beach rocks!

attention to the directorof course!

Emma718
lol...Yay LB just started on MTv Australia

GM Nebaris
This show is awesome. Kristin is so hot.

Clone
I love this show.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.