Why Did Spiderman's Face Have To Be Shown In The Last Film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dami wilson
HI FOLKS! I'm a big spidey fan and been since the age of 10. Why in spiderman two did Spiderman's face have to be reveale to so many people? That killed the film for me because we all know how his early waring buzz would have given him a migraine if people kept seeing his identity!
It was such a great film till then! Spidey would never nevr do that! If that happened he would have spinned a web over his face! Sam R spoilt a great ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhino
spiderman's face wasnt shown in the first movie was it?

anyways, these movies by sam raimi are called interpretations, not an exact re-enactment or documentary, but what sux is that he asked his brother hoffman to help him with the spiderman 3 script!

Black Dragon
That bit was soooooooo cheesy, and unreal!!

Mr_Famous
True. How is he supposed to keep his ID a secret now?

hotsauce6548
umm.. wuts the poll for?

Statham
Well, it wasn't exactly necessary to reveal his face to Doc Ock at the end of the film, unless it was to try and reason with him better (Doc Ock was a kind of father figure to Peter before the fusion accident, after all).. Mary Jane seeing his face was unavoidable, to be fair.

As for the people on the train seeing his face, it was either that or have the eyepiece permanently bonded to his face (red hot sparks set the mask alight, and that mask is made of stuff that can easily melt, particularly the 'webbing'...

EDIT: Oh, as for his Spider-sense going off if someone was about to see him unmasked -- I don't think it works that way. The spider-sense only gives advance warnings of threats, like the train about to go off the end of the tracks. It probably also gave him a little nudge about the fusion experiment screwing up when Octavius first tries it.

Rhino
plus it doesnt matter if his mask is off, who's gonna tell his secret identity? ock is dead, the ppl on the train, would possibly tell but he saved their lives...but ya never know

Imperial_Samura
True, and its unlikely the people on the Train actually knew who it was... and I think when your looking at comic book adoption's that it has a narrative drive far different then actual comics, with different themes, and different requirements. It is a natural progression in cinematic terms that eventually the truth will come out, and it will add interesting plot twists to future sequels, as know there are those who know who Spiderman is...

dami wilson
tHANKS GUYS! I GUESS THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COMICS AND FILMS! iT WAS SUCH A GOOD FILM TILL THAT PART. aNYONE BEEN READING THE COMICS LATELY? hOW COMES THEY'RE TURNING PETER PARKER INTO SUCH A SAD ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO HIM SUPERSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gOSH HE DOESN'T HAVE THE SPEED HE IS FAMED FOR! Even geeting beat by ordinary villains!!!!!!1 Gosh, it sucks like a water melon!!!!!!!!!!!! I like Peter/ Spidey but it's Spidey that we wanna read about that makes pete special as a hero. H doesn't kick ass anymore and they the writers are turning him into a seasoned JERK. He gets beat up by just about anybody now and every bad thing seems to happen to him. Gosh give us a break!!!!! Whjo wants to read about a heroa that gets you depressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I got alot happening around my lifethat gets me sad, I try to cheer myself up with a comic and Im gonna pay to get more depressed????????????? Is it me or are the writers becoming melodramatic? I am a writer too but Spidey used to come with loads of jokes even in the face of danger!!!! Now he's a whoose that gets picked on!!!!!!!!!!!

SpyCspider
wuts a whoose? Here, we say wuss i think..hahahah

stop hyperventilating....Spidey's depression has been INTEGRAL part of his storywriting since day 1. That's what makes him so human. His costume is cheap, he catches colds, he worries about acne, he's got family troubles...he needs to freakin sh*t/piss when he's on duty.

Although that whole Gwen Stacy & Norman thing got me a bit riled up...

Mr Parker
I thought that was the worst part in that movie as well Dami,so many people finding out his identity.That just ruined the whole film for me and made me leave the theater pissed off because like you said,spidey would NEVER do that!!!! the ending sucked and ruined the whole thing,horrible ending.Peter would NEVER reveal his idenetity to his most dangerous enemy doc ock.the way everybody was finding out his identity,he might just as well have advertised it on times square.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
True, and its unlikely the people on the Train actually knew who it was..

Trust me they all know he was.Peter Parkers pics of himself are posted in the paper all the time because he is famous for being the only person to be able to get so many good shots of spidey all the time.Now about everybody in the world knows his identity and you cant believe that everyone of those people wont tell sometime in the future especially those kids.They're not going to keep a secret like that,not ALL of them.Just plain Horrible screenwriting.

radioboy121
I too found Spiderman's carelessness with his identity to be a killjoy for the movie. Yes, there were people that knew his identity, but they had to put some extra effort in finding out (i.e. spy on him at his apartment).

dami wilson
spyCspider hahaha to you! Im chinese!
Anyway, its the strength and craftiness of spiderman i'M TALKING ABOUT. PETE CHANGES TO SPIDEY TO ESCAPE FROM HIS PROBLEMS. His speed and agility was what made him special like Bruce Lee or one of those Ninja turtles! They couldn't be touched and spidey was fast man!" Bruce Lee was just too fast and it made him special! Its these new writers in Marvel that are spoiling what Stan Lee spent decades building up! These writers are probably young grads who dont know jack about the history but want to bring in their own values into Spidey!
Like for instance, somehow Wolverine has gotten so strong he cant seem to be beat because some fan writer is trying to turn him into a human terminator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He can now beat the Hulk? At one time Banner changes in a barn from some gas leakeage!!!!!!!!!! WHY IN THAT BARN? THAT CHANGED HULK TO BANNER AND WOLVIE HOLDS HIS CLAWS TO DR BANNER AND SAYS I COULD KILL YOU NOW! Then there was another crap where he actually claws the Hulk in the shoulder and makes the Hulk panic and could have killed the Hulk with another blow!
Gosh!!!!! Gez man, who are these anti personality writers? They pick who they want to build up and who they want to turn into some weakliin!!!!!!! the stories are going down and it's always almost the same! spyCspider go get a dictionary and tell me if that word exists in it before you start tripping on yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How comes folks got angry with DC comics because they amde Superman too strong? People got bored and that's why they killed him!
then brought him back a bit weakened! Its the same way., spidey's getting weaker cus they're trying to make him , wht? more human?
How comes wolvie's getting so much stronger?? He can almost kill the Hulk now? I only buy Wolvie to see who gets to whoop his ass! Too much tragedy can make Peter look too ordinary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why make him so human he's amazing powers dont look amazing any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! remember, it is called the AMAZING SPIDERMAN!!!!!!

Mainstream
I thought it was stupid and pointless for the people to find out who Spidey really was.

radioboy121
Your post was almost hard to read.

Bruce complimented his arsenal with noises to distract his opponent, but unless you are basing your evaluation of Bruce Lee strictly on the movies, he is definitely not the fastest. He was beaten up pretty badly in San Francisco's Chinatown for teaching martial arts to non Chinese. He was popular for the image he brought up - his natural toughness and the expressions he used when in action.

Wolverine has been beaten many times; some have been as strong or nearly as strong as Hulk, others have been second-rate SHIELD agent types. His character as many others have been fluctuating since their creation.

On Wolverine against the Hulk, he could have killed him while he was asleep during Hulk's visit to Madripoor, but he didn't. But that isn't a fight. The only fight I know where Wolverine could have killed Hulk was when Wolverine became death and in desperation from Hulk's onslaught, he slashed at his neck and would have killed him if not for Wolverine's consciousness (took nearly the same principle as What if V1 #31). But more often than not, Hulk is still otherwise superior to Wolverine. Writings no matter how off shoot they go will not ignore this fact, unless they kill him off.

I know you are relatively new to the forums, but bad mouthing characters and especially members alike will not win you many popularity votes around here. I myself am unpopular here (maybe because of my straightforwardness), but I don't even lower myself to this (at least for the most part).

Superman was losing some fan base, so that is why there was plenty of hype made of his "Death of Superman" series. Spiderman's humanity is a factor that often times make him popular. Unlike some heavy weights in the comic stream, you can somewhat relate to him; he has had his fair share of friend/family tragedies, he struggles to make ends meet, and he's always battling himself on what choices he should make in life both in and out of costume.

dami wilson
Thanks. I wasn't out to bash people, it's just that when you read comics these days and check the story lines, it's like ............ nough said. I do like both wolverine and spidey n feel this sadness for the hulk. I'm a part time body builder and have had people scared of my size when I meant no harm at all. Over the years, certain characters have gotten bigger and in the superhero sense it's the super human powers that make us want to read about them. Sure spiderman is more human by having his fair share of human problems but it seems he's getting too many too much. He's marraige's broken down! He lost a good job at a lab, he gets vertulos or whatever that allows him to go giddy at the worst possible times (like in the middle of a fight). He keeps meeting super villains that can touch him. OH YEAH, AFTER ALL HE DOES TO FIND HE'S WIFE AFTER HAVING THAT SUPERNATURAL FAITH THAT SHE WAS STILL ALIVE AFTER THE PLANE CRASH, SHE LEAVES HIM!!!!! DOH, yeah, he's got this responsibility problem but hey, when you make a commitment to get married, then you cant keep letting your greatest love down no matter who you are!!!!!!!!!!! WITH GREAT RESPONSIBILITY COMES GREAT POWERS, same for marriage cos you're commiting yourself to one person more than anybody else.
I hope this doesn't mean I'm putting down the writers cos they're doing a good job. it's just man, the story telliing's gone wicked!!!!!!!! The green goblin coming back into Peter's life and finding out about his identity stuff. Then the alien stuff that looked like MEN IN BLACK. I
just wanted to let it be known READING ABOUT MY FAVORITE SUPER HERO TAKING SO MANY HITS CAN AFFECT PEOPLE LIKE ME!!!!!
SADNESS UPON SADNESS UPON? Comics are to be fun you know!
Hope I'm not sounding melodramatic here but comics are supposed to be feel good factors like when you go to the movies, it's an escape route to the world of fantasy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, when I read stuff that's a bit too sad about my favorite super hero, it gets to people like me and that's where the writers dont get it! I'm not out to discredit them but hey
there are some of us out there where life's a bit bitchy at times and when you want to buy a comic which I do regularly apart from novels, the story can lift you up or get you down more. Am I getting through to you? Not out to diss anybody but I thought this was a chat line about superheros.

DarkCrawler
If I would be in that train, I wish I would have my camera with me. Then I could take picture from Spiderparker, and sell it to JJJ.

That part of the movie was dumb.

dami wilson
THANKS NIGHTCRAWLER, LETS STICK TO THE JIST!
tHE EFFECTS WERE GOOD AND THE FIGHT SCENES WERE AWESOME BUT THE ENDING PISSED ALOT OF FANS OUT CUS THAT'S NOT HOW THE TRUE PETER PARKER WOULD HAVE GONE OUT. hE'D PUT SOME WEBBING ON HIS HEAD TO HIDE HIS LOOKS OR SOMETHING. fOR PETE'S SAKE, HE'S GOT HIS AUNT'S SAFETY TO THINK ABOUT!!!!!!!
If people knew who he was, as a vigilantee, his family and anybody connected to him would be in danger!! So that part really socked! Why would spidey trust his identity to strangers? To Dr Ock especially and then to Harry ? WHooooooa. Cant wait for Spiderman 3 where everybody has his picture and he's wanted!!!!Maybe does a talk show on Jerry Springer show! Hmmm, that'd make a good vibe! Maybe the Xmen could appear in it too! Am I a freak for being a muntant. Then a big fight could happen and the cops would have tyo be called in!

radioboy121
Even before the Mary Jane dilemma, his life has been laden with plenty of issues ever since he took the identity of Spiderman. Ever since his Uncle Ben's death, there have been many close to him that impacted his life one way or another (i.e. Osborns as villains, Gwen Stacy's death, Flash dating Blackcat, his dentist helping a pack of evil mutants, his parents appearing again, etc.). His life has been a soap opera.

His powers have made him very unique, but he's never shown to be completely untouchable; the earliest of villains like Doctor Octopus, Sandman, and Electro were surely able to TOUCH him.

As to him exposing his identity, he did often dwell about the consequences about it; one that comes to mind was his idea of turning in the ScarletSpider, but worrying that this would eventually lead the public against him and his family. The scene with him exposing his identity in public so carelessly was indeed a bad move. I don't care how trustworthy they specify these anonymous passengers are.

SpyCspider
um, i think one exclamation point would suffice, dude.... not "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or all caps. It makes people think you're freaking out.

I'm Asian too, fyi...

IMO, It's the 21st century so writers have to get creative in order to keep the reader interested. That's the point of soap operas anyway because they leave you wanting to find out more. If it's just a story about Spidey fighting another new supervillain, it gets old pretty quickly. When you dwell into a superhero's family and relationship, you attempt to connect to the real-life reader because in essence, the reader can relate more to the superhero. Spidey has soul and it makes you stop and think "hmm...he's fighting all these supervillains all the time but what WOULD happen if MJ suddenly died...or he forgot to pay his mortgage?" These are problems we can all feel more akin to than a "tyrannical mutant terrorizing our streets." I think that's why millions of people are Spidey fans....Stan Lee found the secret that would keep an audience. For myself, the Spidey 90s Animated Series surprised me with a cartoon that showed a character who struggled with his personal life while battling alongside superpowered villains. And the continuity from each episode maintains the humanness of this iconic character.

(And I DID just look up whoose....didn't find it. Sorry. wink )

NoFate007
I thought revealing himself to Ock made perfect sense, Harry knowing his identity made sense, and Mary Jane knowing made sense, those are all fine. The problem I had was with the train people. I still don't see a reason for him to take the mask off scriptwise, it didn't contribute to anything. "He's...just a..kid.." was a great line, but Ock could've said that instead if he really wanted to keep the line in there.

Robo-Chocobo
they had to show his because they just did. Happy?

look what do you mean let him see his face? it wouldn't do much good to be wearing a mask where the eye covers are shattered would it? he had to take it off, and he was a tad preoccupied with SAVING A TRAIN!!

BlackC@t
No, it's his brother Ivan that's helping him, not his brother Ted/Hoffman.

Also, I like it how everyone found out Peter was Spider-Man, it leaves people interested in what Harry and Peter will be like to each other in Spider-Man 3, it gets a lot deeper into the story, I think it was about time too.

He couldn't help Harry finding out, he was only just becoming conscious when Harry yanked off his mask.

It was unavoidable that Mary-Jane would find out, she was right behind him.

He had to get through to Octavious, and the only way to do that was too show him who he was underneath the mask.

I can't remember who said this but someone said that the comics were becoming stupid because Peter was thinking 'I'm not suppose to have what I want, I'm meant to live an unhappy life.' THAT'S THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF PETER PARKER!!!!!!!!!!! That's why so many people like him because he's somebody they can relate too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's a kid with a lot of problems and that's why people like him because he's so like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you only just start reading the comics just now or something?

BlackC@t
Also, if he didn't take his mask off on the train his face would have been burnt off, didn't you see the sparks catching onto his mask?

BlackC@t
And of course The Avengers and Wolverine won't be seen in Spider-Man 3!

They live in a completely different world then Peter Parker. It's just like our world, Peter Parker doesn't exist in our world.

Honestly, I wish people would stop asking if other Marvel characters will be featured in the next Spidey movie.

dami wilson
WORD! You're truly getting me there! Well, I guess that's the way love goes! I mean, I guess Peter loves the public so much in the film version he can trust the public so well.

Anyways I hope the next film adds a twist and he gets his picture taking by some mysterious cabbie or even a CCTV in the train that somehow captures the moment his face is shown. Now that will be a twist!

dami wilson
BLACKCAT, YOU A COOL KITTY

I can't remember who said this but someone said that the comics were becoming stupid because Peter was thinking 'I'm not suppose to have what I want, I'm meant to live an unhappy life.' THAT'S THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF PETER PARKER!!!!!!!!!!! That's why so many people like him because he's somebody they can relate too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's a kid with a lot of problems and that's why people like him because he's so like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BY BLACKCAT

I dig you out dude and I know film versions try to be different from comics , it was a really great film ( the fight scenes and all and Peter as the nerdy sort of guy) it would have been cool to take offf the mask and then spin a web around his face like the buggy monster! Spidey's done that in the past.

spyCspider, apologies! No dissing meant! We're all nerds to some people in the world for even discussing this!! Know what I mean? It's only fantasy aint it? KEEP ON SWINGING DUDE!

dami wilson
And of course The Avengers and Wolverine won't be seen in Spider-Man 3!

They live in a completely different world then Peter Parker. It's just like our world, Peter Parker doesn't exist in our world.

Honestly, I wish people would stop asking if other Marvel characters will be featured in the next Spidey movie.
BY black c@t

Wait a sec dude! How comes in the comic Spidey has met this cats before? Spidey's even gone on some capers with them. He used to be best friends with the human touch and if its the same manhattan they're meant to dwell in how cant they met up? I'm not talking about Metropolisis or Atlantis you know! Sure spidey wont bump into Batman or supes which he already did, its just that since comics are now being translated into films, can they meet up? JUST ASKING.

WHAT'S YOUR FED BACK? There's something going on about the mutant wars and spidey's even in charge at some point........... since the avengers have taken that route in the film, people versus mutants,
wouldn't they have to rescue spiderman from a mob one day? HAHAHAHA..............HA.

SpyCspider
The reasons they wont' let Spidey meet other non core-Spidey realm Marvel characters are:

1. If we're talking about Daredevil or the X-men, there are licenses to those characters and the movie studios won't allow it to happen. Different property rights. It's not just Marvel...Sony, Columbia Pics, etc all have a say. And that costs $$$.

2. It would be too random to meet another iconic character just because if that character's story hasn't been developed, it would be unfair to just stick him/her in for the sake of a cameo. They deserve their own movie first.

NoFate007
They could however make slight reference to them. Spider-Man could say something along the lines of "Yeah well not all of us are born with lasers coming out of our eyes." or if they wanted a DC/Marvel mix up, something about his costume could be mentioned and he could say "Yeah I'm missing the cool cape and cowl, I'll have to ask Bruce where he gets his." Ya know, something cheesy and simple but would make everyone that knows what its talking about pull one of the "HOLY SH..hhhh shut up I'm listening to the movie!!!" type of things.

DarkCrawler
Actually, its DarkCrawler. http://images.killermovies.com/forums/icons/v2/icon2.gif

SpyCspider
well...Bats did say "This is why Superman works alone..." in Batman & Robin.

BlackC@t
I know! happy

BlackC@t
They do meet up in the comics but the comics are a very different story, the movies are a different world for Peter, a world without the X-men, Hulk, and Daredevil (thank god!)

ayjay
imo...i thought that the whoe train knowing who he was ...was stupid....i didnt like dat....but having MJ and harry know is acceptable...since the GG knows who spidey is in da comics....and mj finds out eventually...but the train thing? nah ah...not liking it....

SpyCspider
ehehhehe only in the movies would sparks and fighting mess up his mask so that he'd need to take it off to see....

Didn't Peter use a brown bag once in the comics to conceal his identity?

Yea..the whole scene was careless,..like his identity didn't matter at all. He even turned around and said "ya, I got a few!" after that guy went "any more bright ideas?" Unnecessary IMO.....I mean, they could've had him take off his mask but not so blatantly try to be cool with everyone seeing his face. Guess they wanted to show how heroic he can be in times of crisis--identity wasn't a priority.

BlackC@t
I'm pretty sure that his mask, being made of a strechy kind of fabric, would catch fire easily erm

I like it how they all know Pete's Spider-Man, it leaves the third open to so many possibilities.

dami wilson
blackcat dont get too much from that comment! I like cats. Spidey showing his face just didn't go with anything I know from vigilantees or heros trying to prevent people from knowing who they were. That included Batman, Captain America and whoever esle takes the pain to were a mask to cover their face! That ending cringed me out! Then the list went on. DR Ock, Harry, and just about anybody else! I know Peter's meant to be goffy but come on now!!!! Will his poster be posted on the internet now with bounty hunters after him now in part three? if it was plastic, he coulda taken it off and webbed his head and face like ZORRO!

BlackC@t
I'm pretty sure he was pre-occupied with stopping the train going off the tracks and killing a lot of people then worrying about them seeing who he really is.

dami wilson
WHAT A SHAME........................WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENS IN THE NEXT FILM? HIS AUNT FINDS OUT HE IS SPIDEY? WHAT I DONT GET IS OUT OF ALL THE SUPERHERO FILMS ITS GOTTA BE SPIDEY THAT GETS HIS IDENTITY FOUND OUT! HMMMMMMMM NOW, EVEN SUPERMAN WITHOUT A MASK CAN KEEP HIS IDENTITY A SECRET WITH JUST A BUNCH OF SPECS WHICH AINT FROM SPECSAVERS!!! DUH!

ayjay
hahahaha...so0o truuu......i never got the superman clark kent glasses thing....but yeeh...i dunno how they gonna make this identity crisis all better in SM3

dami wilson
i know, he has a plastic surgrey and starts to look like Michael Jackson or something. Maybe that's the new plot! Parker has a plastic change and voila, the green globin shows up evre confused as Harry. Now he wouldn't be able to say spidey is peter.

BlackC@t
Norman's dead and he's not coming back.

I'm really excited that they know Peter is Spider-Man, it's going to be so interesting to see his relationship with everybody in the third installment.

dami wilson
YEAH, HALF THE WORLD CHASING HIM UP AND DOWN AS A NOT SO FAMOUS CELEBRITY! MAYBE NOW HE CAN START CHARGING FOLKS FOR A QUARTER OR DOLLAR AND THE MORE COMPLICATED, THE HIGHER THE FEES. I think, there must be a reasoning for it.

MKL93
"He might as well advertised it in Times Square"
I know that was posted a while ago but i could just imagine that. That would be funny! "Do you want to know who Spidey really is?! Then send three bucks to Peter Parker/Spider-Man! Oh--oh i just revealed it didn't I?" (that was being spoken by advertising guy by the way.)

doctorstrongbad
I'm not sure why but I'm sure they have some good reason for doing it. Maybe it will be explained in part 3.

Max Spidey 24
Why is the movie(1 and 2) about spidey sacrificing 1000289393288 people lives so he could get his mac on with MJ. Dont get me started about the identity thing. EVEn harry found out he was Spidey. I bet in part 3 they just ignore it . Why does he care more about Playing in bed with M.J than doing his spidey job and protecting people. Sure M.J should be a concern but damn he had her at the end of movie 1 but said no MJ then in Movie 2 he wants her. Doc ock was to fat

doctorstrongbad
I bet they are going to use this faxt to introduce venom at the end of part 3. Eddie Brock hates Peter Parker and finds out that he is Spiderman.

BlackC@t
Eddie will not be in Part 3!

doctorstrongbad
I think Eddie might be but not Venom.

dami wilson
I think it's still dumb and sucks. I left the cinema pissed off and I wasn't the only one. There were other guys there who I didn't know who thought that part sucked and tuined it! Part three?
i DONT KNOW. I liked spidey from the past cos he was the odd ball out who got picked on and got blessed! I like stories like that , the underdog getting a break! That's why I buy spidey! Not because he's so human!
I'd watch a soap on TV like Coronation street or East Enders for that! Boriing stuff about normal folks with problems!

Misery upon misery falling on one guy who's out to do others good aint a good message to do gooders! Come on, He aint even charging for his efforts and things keep going worse? How comes many films always have the good guys wining! Rambo never gets shot! or killed! He fights one army! Even batman!

doctorstrongbad
Yeah I guess that is true. We will have to wait til part 3 to see if they follow up on the unmaksed Spiderman thing.

dami wilson
he gets hunted down by two bunty hunters, kavren the Hunter and Eletro who are out for the reward money J Jonah has put out. Cus Peter has been sacked for being a vigilante!

Linkalicious
Newsflash!!!!

Doc Ock was the first villain to unmask Spiderman in the comics. eek!

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/8508/unmasker6zu.th.jpg

Amazing Spiderman #12

doctorstrongbad
Wow good job Doc ock.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.