whats the best horror movie from the 80s?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BREN
ill start with the 80s cos there were so many in that decade!
a few personal faves
friday the 13th part 1
the burning ,partly cos of the movie itself,friday the 13th clone i know,but the killer "cropsy" was great,and because tom savin in my view is a god,lol, btw was miramaxs first movie
the prowler (rosemarys killer),once again sort of a ft 13th clone,and was savini again but u cant beat lots of strong blood and guts with a nice blown (literally) off head finish!
john carpenters the thing saw it when i was 11 in 82 what a movie ,atmospheric,claustrophobic,great score by morricone,great cast and great effects
an american werewolf in london,i know its part horror part comedy but i love the movie,an american werewolf in paris is utter shite!,should never have been made,sacralidge
theres many many more but its is 2 am,ill add them when im more awake,just seemed fitting to start a thread on 80s horror hope u guys agree smile
cant wait to see your faves!

Mane
I'd say Carpenter's The Thing is the most captivating of the 80's.

dean7879
shining... i think it was 1980
nightmare on elm street
the thing

Cinemaddiction
Too many, 80's was all Horror.

SlipknoT
The Thing
The Shinning
Friday the 13th
Day of the Dead
Aliens
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
A Nightmare on Elm Street

Wolfie
Nightmare on Elm Street
Hellraiser
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Friday the 13th
Evil Dead II
American Werewolf in London
The Howling

papabeard
the first friday the 13th was made in the 70's

papabeard
favourite 80's horror films ;

most 80's horror films are sh*t

Re_animator
april fools day
Hellraiser
Silver Bullet
The Thing (80's?)
Children of the COrn (80's?)

papabeard
the burning was good, I agree, It also has george from Seinfled in it

SlipknoT
No it wasnt. It was made in 1980.

Zilverz
wow, u fukkerz forgot ... Day of the Dead

Darth_Big_Boy
Being a horror fan, esp. 80's horror....it's hard for me to narrow it all down to a fave. If I had to, and I stuck to my Romero fandom....I'd go with Day Of The Dead as my fave of the 80's.

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, toss up between "Day of the Dead" and "Hellraiser", for me.

m. myers
i agree that 80"s was too good a decade for horror movies to just narrow it down, but i do believe that friday is too over rated, day of the dead is a much better film, even though they have nothing incommon, Romero kicks ass

SlipknoT
It was on my list

slayer
Friday The 13th
Nightmare On Elm Street
Chilfren Of The Corn
Re-Animator
Sleepaway Camp
Critters
Slumber Party MAssacre
Fright Night
Hellraiser

Lord_Andres
top 5

The Thing
The Shining
The Fog
The Howling
Hellraiser tie ieth Henry POASK

BackFire
The Shining and Henry.

PissedOffGoalie
this pretty much covers it

Mr Parker
The Shining
Halloween 4
The Howling
Children of the Corn.

The Redeemer
No Italian horror films from the Video Nasty era on your '80s list, Dean my boy? The shame!

Here...let me give ya a list of directors you should be seeking out from THAT time period...

FULCI
D'AMATO
ARGENTO
BIANCHI
DEODATO
LENZI

Pick one film from each director, see it, and then revise your list...
wink

Dazzler619
I kind of liked Creepshow 1 and 2

dean7879
ive saw some films from them directors...
i just coudnt be bothered to write all there films down
but i will now smile

i love tenebrae and phenomena from argento
cannibal ferox and nightmare city from lenzi
burial ground is decent from Bianchi
Cannibal holocaust is good from Deodato
i love absurd from D'amato. And antropophagus? which was the first one, was good to

happy redeemer son??

lol

DaneBramage
No particular order.....

Halloween II
The Fog
Carpenter's The Thing
From Beyond
The Beast Within
Re-Animator
Fear No Evil (Would make a great remake today)
Creepshow
Videodrome
Scanners
Dead Ringers
Fulci's The Beyond
Demons
Inferno
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Lifeforce
Nightmare on Elm Street
HEllraiser
Wolfen (iffy)
Poltergeist (flame away)
Killer Klowns
Clownhouse
Shining
Aliens
Robocop(SCI-fi)
Predator

And the most Horrifying movie of the 1980's----E.T. Run!! Run!!!!

PissedOffGoalie
oh and Cannibal Holocaust (1979 is close enough)

dean7879
holocaust is 1980 isnt it?? confused

Napalm

papabeard
correction : Friday the 13th was made in the late seventies and released in 1980

dean7879
visiting hours is a great horror flick from the 80's

Wendigo
CLOWNHOUSE smokin'

Ketchuptome
It and the Micheal Myers series

fulcilives
the beyond (1981)

zombi 3 aka zombieflesheaters2 (1988)

city of the living dead (1980)

LUCIO FULCI IS GOD

Darth Odious
The Prowler
Chainsaw Massacre 2
Evil Dead I and II
Poltergiest
Day of the Dead
The Thing
Maniac
Child's Play
Killer Klowns From Outerspace
Gremlins
Tootsie

PRO-PAIN
In no real order.

Tenebre
Demons
Opera
Phenomena
Inferno
The Beyond
The New York Ripper
The City Of The living Dead
Cannibal Ferox
Nightmare City
Maniac
Stage Fright
The Thing
Happy Birthday To Me
The Prowler
Basket Case
Day Of The Dead
Hell Night
Dead & Buried
Scanners
Evil Dead
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Halloween 2
The House On The Edge Of The Park
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Bad Taste
Silent Night Deadly Night
Pieces
My Bloody Valentine
Return Of The Living Dead
The Shining
Re-Animator
Fright Night
The Fog
Friday The 13th 1-4 and 6
Nightmare On Elm Street 1 and 3
Hellraiser 1 & 2

botankus
Evil Dead and Hellraiser.

BREN
zombie 3 sux arse im sorry but it does not a patch on zombie (flesh eaters.not 80s i know) but still kix zombie 3s arse and i own the jap version with more footage,beginning etc smile

SithSpy
Killer klowns from outer space eek! laughing I used to love that movie.....cotton candy guns and killer popcorn good times

The Redeemer
Originally posted by Deano
ive saw some films from them directors...
i just coudnt be bothered to write all there films down
but i will now smile

i love tenebrae and phenomena from argento
cannibal ferox and nightmare city from lenzi
burial ground is decent from Bianchi
Cannibal holocaust is good from Deodato
i love absurd from D'amato. And antropophagus? which was the first one, was good to

happy redeemer son??

lol

Nice one! smokin' Now...why the hell didn't I reply to this one earlier? embarrasment Must be me burnt out brain! eek!

Yeah...ya qualify for some more future banter! wink Long live da BBFC...sorry...da new flesh!!! big grin

neo7822
evil dead part 2 and nightmare on elm street maybe a friday the 13 but i havent seen one in at lest a year

runemesa
Night of the Creeps

Darth Odious
My friend keeps talking about a movie called Terror Vision. It's supposed to be funny but I can't find it anywhere! SHIT!!!!AWWWWWWWWW!!!!IEWFWISGFIWAGERIFG

WindDancer
There are quite a lot of titles that deserve recognizition. Just recently I came across a film called "Near Dark" (yes I know you prolly seen it many times on a trip to the Wal-Mart dvd section) and it was pretty good. I highly suggest you watch it. I must admit the film was new for me and did quite enjoyed it. I think is worthy of being consider Best horror film from the 80's.

BackFire
Ah, Near Dark is a damn good flick, definately.

Discos
yup near dark was remastered a while back, I enjoyed it, quite gory.

Dr Giggles is a hilarious horror, i think it was in the 80's? Anyone care to back me up.

Lord_Andres
Nope sorry Discos, I really hate that movie, that giggles makes the most annoying laugh ever! and the story it self is quite stupit

Darth Odious
Near Dark is a flick I need to buy. It's way better than Lost Boys although that film I'm always going to like too. I think the best part is when the new guy ask Lance Hendrikson how long has he been a vampire to which Lance answers " We'll put it this way, I fought for the south...we lost."

Discos
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
Nope sorry Discos, I really hate that movie, that giggles makes the most annoying laugh ever! and the story it self is quite stupit

for starters, nice to see you again Lord!

I remember seeing it on a 1-off screening on our local television channels. I thought it was not that bad, however I was very young at the time and found it quite amusing.

Maybe watching again would totally annoy me (as you say), previous examples are Muppets Treasure Island and A Nightmare Before Christmas (too much singing in both films)

Lord_Andres
Ya been awhile discos, I havint been on the boards that much, or at least not said so much for awhile on the boards, about the subject tho, I would say that The Shining is the best horror movie from the 80's with the best director ever and the best actor ever, you just can't go wrong!, oh and on the first page I said The Thing was the best I change my mind about that, I've just re watched Stanleys movies and watched the thing after, and now I clearly see whos superiour

Discos
^^ eek! ah! Now thats a heafty statement that i will fully agree on. The shinning gets my vote too.

Discos - for some reason, my mum (along with all of my friend's parents) were shitting it when they watch Scanners *shrugs*

WindDancer
Originally posted by Darth Odious
Near Dark is a flick I need to buy. It's way better than Lost Boys although that film I'm always going to like too. I think the best part is when the new guy ask Lance Hendrikson how long has he been a vampire to which Lance answers " We'll put it this way, I fought for the south...we lost."

That is one of the best lines in the whole movie. Well written and perfect for that scene.

BaronOBeefDip
I really enjoyed A Nightmare On Elm Street. There was just something about Fred Krueger that I loved.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Discos

Dr Giggles is a hilarious horror, i think it was in the 80's? Anyone care to back me up.

Giggles was 1992, and my vote still goes to "Hellraiser" or "Day of the Dead".

Discos
^^ cheers for clearing that up. Man the whole movie looked poor quality, so I assumed 80's.

Discos - I;m bleeeeding, of tomato sauce

Deano
visiting hours is a good underated horror flick from the 80's

Deano
Originally posted by The Redeemer
Nice one! smokin' Now...why the hell didn't I reply to this one earlier? embarrasment Must be me burnt out brain! eek!

Yeah...ya qualify for some more future banter! wink Long live da BBFC...sorry...da new flesh!!! big grin

i borrowed most of those italian films off my mate
he's got hundreds of banned films

Ruan
Happy Birthday To Me
Sleepaway Camp
The Gate
A Nightmare On Elm Street
April Fool's Day
Hellraiser

The Redeemer
Originally posted by Deano
i borrowed most of those italian films off my mate
he's got hundreds of banned films

None quite as banned as the uncut new Jap Anime one that has just had a whopping 20 minutes plus hacked out of it by the BBFC! A volume in The Lady Blue series, IIRC? smokin'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.