Review: "Blade: Trinity"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JADE_THE_CSI
yes I got lucky this year and won tickets to the advanced screening of "Blade: Trinity". This movie has been long anticipated by "Blade" fans, and Wesley Snipes delivers in this final showdown between good and evil. As they always say, REALLY good movies come in threes, and this movie has it. I can't give away too much, or I'll ruin your experience!
Packed with an explosive beginning, this newest adventure has the ever-taciturn Blade pursuing none other than a resurrected Dracula (Dominic Purcell), now known as Drake. Blade is being hunted by the FBI after being tricked by a gang of vampires into accidentally killing a human. Misled into believing that there is no such thing as vampires by the vampire rulers, Blade is quickly labeled as a serial killer, and is blamed for more deaths. He becomes their public enemy number 1, and is a top priority to apprehend. They subsequently find his hide-out, and kill Whistler in the effort to catch Blade. With no choice left, he teams up with the Nightstalkers, a gang of human vampire hunters. The group is led by Whistler's daughter, Abigail (Jessica Biel), and a former vampire named Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds). Also part of the team is Sommerfield (Natasha Lyonne), a blind scientist working on a more permanent solution to the vampire problem. Their nemeses include a particularly strong-willed female vampire (Parker Posey) and her cohorts (Callum Keith and pro wrestler Triple H).

Of course, Blade does get caught by the FBI, but a massive "rescue" is arranged by the hunters. It all leads up to the final showdown and in the end Blade and Drake finally put an end to vampires once and for all.

Jessica Biel does wonderful as Abigail, and Ryan Reynolds provides some comedy relief. The end is not what you think. It's a shocker!
Of course, we cannot forget............................
Blade can't go anywhere without his sword!

I give it 2 thumb up thumb up WAY up! big grin

tabby999
looks to me like the people who make the movie have remembered they'd say they'd make a trilogy, got some additional characters, added in some exsplosions, some matrix style special fx and made another braindead movie. really blade one = good blade 2 = crap blade 3 = you see the trend

forumcrew
pretty much right on i went to a screener for it last week and it was pretty bad like i thought..
yes it has some cool action scense and stuff but it is a weak movie.. i didnt feel like typing a review but comingsoon just put out a perfect expination of why it is no good..

Blade: Trinity
Reviewed by: Joshua Starnes
Rating: 4 out of 10
Movie Details: View here

Cast:
Wesley Snipes as Blade
Jessica Biel as Abigail Whistler
Ryan Reynolds as Hannibal King
Parker Posey as Danica Talos
Dominic Purcell as Dracula/Drake
Triple H as Jarko Grimwood
Natasha Lyonne as Sommerfield
Kris Kristofferson as Abraham Whistler

Critique:
Blade (Wesley Snipes) is framed for murder by the Vampires (Parker Posey and Triple H) who have unearthed Dracula (Dominic Purcell) in a plan to take over the world. Blade must escape from the FBI and join up with the Nightstalkers, Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds) and Abigail Whistler (Jessica Biel), in order to finally defeat the Vampires forever.

The best thing about this film is Ryan Reynolds. He's funny and charismatic; Hannibal King has an interesting story that Reynolds takes full advantage of. Every scene with him is interesting and fun to watch. His interrogation by the Vampires is one of the highlights of the film.

And that is about it. A movie starring Hannibal King and the Nightstalkers would have been far more interesting than Blade: Trinity is. That's one of the major flaws of the film. Between setting up the villains and the Nightstalkers, there is very little Blade in it. Snipes knows this character very well by now, and does solid work, but he has so little do, it's almost like he's not in the movie at all.

What character development there is, is given to Jessica Biel. Unfortunately, most of it is so bland that it's hard to ever care for her or her story. Worse, she gets saddled with one of the most ridiculously banal character traits ever - before going into battle she loads up her iPod with music that she likes to listen to while she fights.

The dialogue is often witty and funny, and the action scenes are well-staged and fun to watch - particularly the opening car chase and Blade's escape from the FBI. Unfortunately, both are often pointless as well. Many scenes seem to be placed together completely arbitrarily and never seem to amount to anything.

The blame for this mess rests squarely on the shoulders of writer/director David S. Goyer. As a writer he has crafted an exceptionally improbable story with many scenes that don't amount to anything and almost no character development, and as a director he has left his actors twisting in the wind, unable to salvage anything from the few moments they do get.

The villains in general are the least fleshed out of all. It's difficult to tell who the real villain is or what they want. As a result, the final battle is anti-climatic. Parker Posey is particularly bad. Perhaps it is due to the large prosthetic teeth she has to wear, but much of her dialogue comes out both unintentionally funny and painful. Dominic Purcell's Drake is a little better, but only a little. It's never clear what it is he wants and his exceptionally purple dialogue is bland and annoying. He exists only as a plot mechanism (both sides need his blood in order to completely wipe out the other), and so that Blade will have someone to fight with at the end.

Writing has always been the worst part of the Blade films, but in the hands of other, more experienced directors, the weak points in Goyer's writing were downplayed. With no one to do that this time, the major weaknesses of his writing (most notably his habit of explaining how things work, but not why anyone does them) are glaringly obvious.

Summary:
Fans of mindless action and good one-liners will enjoy Blade: Trinity; but anyone who was a fan of the first two films and expected more development of Blade or a grand finale to his story will be disappointed.

Mane
I honestly didn't like the first one at all, and the second one was ok. I don't think I'll be that disappointed.

Cinemaddiction
"Blade: Trinity"

For the past half decade, Blade has been the unofficial housekeeper of the underworld. While cleaning up the nastiest of the nocturnal, he's lived, died, and even found time to fall in love. Could there quite possibly be as well rounded and tested as he? Yep. His name is Drake, but you can call him Dracula.

Vampiress, Danica Talos (Posey) and company, with the authorities under their finger, look to drive the final nail in the coffin of Blade, and commence their long awaited social domination. As he's cleverly driven to killing a human, posing as a vampire, the opportunistic nightbreed conjure up the ultimate smear campaign. Resurrected from a centuries long slumber, Drake partakes of the Danos harvested blood, and looks to play a vital role in the overthrow of humankind. Teamed with Abigiail Whistler (Biel) and Hannibal King (Reynolds), Blade, though now fighting in the public eye, once again sets out the save the world. This time, with a lot cooler gadgets.

This movie was dreadful. Failing on every single level imaginable, it was like watching a 1,000,000 car pile-up. One crashing after another. The lines read as if the feature were targeted more for high schoolers looking for an action/adventure equivalent of "American Pie", complete with the National Lampoon's product, Ryan Reynolds. Plagued with the F word, various sexually explicit, and rather uncomfortable connotations, was the script. The "humor" while seldom clever, was mostly teen-oriented, phallic in nature, and totally uncharacteristic for the franchise.

While Snipes revived his "hard-as-steel" Blade persona, you could literally watch Parker Posey "act". A contrived performance from what was supposed to be the Queen Bee. Ryan Reynolds brand of "Eurotrip" humor was only eclipsed by his failure to deliver even the slightest hint that he was a force to be reckoned with. Biel, however,virtually went through the motions, of which Reynolds and a one line spewing Triple H should have followed suit.

The films cheese factor was yet another fault in this pretentious follow up. Scenes of Blade literally cooing a baby, fighting a CGI "Dracula" that looked like an animated version of "Darkness" from Legend, and uninspired, recycled, and irrelevant fight scenes, boasted a comedic value worthy of a Zucker directed action film parody.

Totally obscure jokes that fell flat, one dimensional performances, and the abandoning of key plot points, and a lot of unfamiliarity with the previous installments all lent a hand in totally annihilating an already diminishing franchises hopes of wrapping up the franchise with class and respect to it's die hards.

"Blade" was never intended to be a trilogy, and here, it shows. Atleast it makes the underrated (IMO) "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" look like an Oscar contender.

rwoonacott
As true to your words, I think this movie is best to wait until it comes out on DVD. This is why there are good people like you to provide me with a heads up on the movie way before I go to the theater and see it for myself.

I am looking forward to seeing the movie for myself, however with this review I think it is best if I do wait for the DVD then view it, and then make my comment on it then. Of course my son is coming for a visit and most likely he will want to see the movie with me, so there is that possible theater trip coming up.

Thanks for the great review once again.

paulengel
Just got back from it and it was just merely alright. It was entertaining thats about it. Kind of like a Charlies Angles type of movie--nothing very spectacular, just some good action and special effects. I'd say goto the matinee. Sorry for such a bland "review"...butI guess thats kind of the way this movie was.

Lord Soth
I haven't seen it, but I certainly intend to erase all of this from my memory. The best way to see a movie is with no opinion whatsoever. I'll give a review on Saturday

Lord Soth
Well, I got to see it sooner than I planned, but I'm not complaining. As usual, I don't plan on having any spoilers.

Blade:Trinity
Starring: Wesley Snipes, Kris Kristofferson, Jessica Biel, Ryan Reynolds, Dominic Purcell

The Story: Blade (Snipes) is back, but this time he's been tricked into killing a human disguised as a vampire, and is immediately being hunted by the rest of the world, along w/ the vamps. Add to that the fact that the vampires have resurrected Dracula (Purcell), the first ever and most powerful vamprie. Blade has a problem that he can't handle alone, so he teams up with ex-vampire Hannibal King (Reynolds) and Whistler's daughter Abigail (Biel).

What was good: Snipes, as always, was true to his character and remains as badass as ever. The action was extraordinary, as was expected, really. Biel was hot as well as an ass-kicker, and played her role well. Purcell was good too. Kristofferson's Whistler was as fiery as ever. The special effects were just as good as they were in first two, better even. The cinematography was a work of art.

What was bad/pissed me off: The true majesty of Blade, however, was lost to Reynolds's ubiquitous wisecracks, which detracted from the spirit of Blade. Parker Posey's Danica Talos was a bit annoying too. And in one scene, Biel pulled an obvious rip-off of the Matrix, doing that 'bring it on' hand gesture. Grr.

Did it entertain me?: Absolutely. An instant +5 points in its favor.

Final verdict: 8/10. I recommend it thumb up

Cinemaddiction
Did we see the same movie? embarrasment

Lord Soth
What's the embarrasment for? We don't have to agree....

Darth Vicious
Resident Evil: Apocalypse Oscar contender material? my god that movie was too terrible to compare to even the worst of movies, now onto Blade: Trinity. I thought the movie was pretty good and entertaining but pointless, with the introduction of the Nightstalkers it felt morw like Nightstalker feat. Blade. I thought Jessica Biel was hot and pretty good, Ryan Reynolds was too funny but after the 3 f**k the were pushing it, the vampires(Posey, Triple H & the other guy) were too idiotic to be a threath to Blade, the plot had no sense, they just brought Dracula into all this just to answer who will win between him and Blade and because hes the most famous vampire, while the actor played him good i dont htink they shouldve brought Dracula, is as if they made up their plan at the last second and to me Dracula didnt seem to be that much of a threat to Blade, killing Whizzler was also pointless and with the ending it makes Blades existence pointless, it was enjoyable but pointless.

Red Superfly
I walked out of the cinema with only one thought.

"Must......buy........iPod"

Cinemaddiction
Well, I know. It's just hard to believe anyone could really enjoy it, especially with all the flaws I pointed out, which I really didn't have to do, because they were so obvious.

Three words, worst..script..ever.

rwoonacott

Cinemaddiction
I'll just respectfully disagree, for my review pretty much sums up what was wrong with it. I didn't even have to dig deep for those, either. There were plenty of blatant, lazy failures.

Darth Vicious
i forgot about the I-pod, while it was cool it tought it was pretty stupid for a vampire hunter to be covering their ears, shouldnt she had more common sense than to do something idiotic like that, she needs all the advantage she could get including all her senses, it reminded me of Iron Eagle.

rwoonacott

rwoonacott

Cinemaddiction
I live for that, lol.

roundisfunny
I didn't care for it (nor any in the trilogy, truth be told). I only post here to point out the blatant use of Esperanto in the movie. According to this article, the director wanted the setting to be an anonymous city, so he had the constructed, universal language in use throughout.

I thought something was up when they not only had Kris K. and the newspaperman speaking it, but then it was showing up on street signs AND in the movie Reynolds was watching ("Incubus" (1965), the first American all-Esperanto film, starring Bill Shatner).

Daywalker
I really enjoyed this movie because it had all of the elements I was looking for:

-Great opening scene with Blade doing what he does best.

-Blade interacting in the "real world" was a nice touch

-Great use of the Charger in the chase scene.

-Finally got to see Blade on the motorcycle and it looked awesome.

-Blade's fighting style is fluid and brutal as ever

-Abigail was very credible and not just a pretty girl tagging along.

-I've always enjoyed Ryan's comedy style and I was amazed at how well it fit into the movie

-Drake was cool. He was basically a "been there done that" type of guy who took on Blade merely for the challenge.

-Drake's end transformation was amazing but I wish they would have gave him more screen time.

-The chase scene between Blade and Drake was nice and the rooftop confrontation was classic.

This was still a Blade movie and the characters were well balanced. The premise was good but I wish they would have followed through on a few things like the FBI being more of an obstacle for Blade and Drake should have been more of a leader to the vampires. It seemed like looked down on his own kind. Overall I was more than pleased with this film.

Loving_Daniel11
This was one badass movie.

MildPossession
As I thought, I was terribly disappointed with the third, nasty end to what could have been a good trilogy.

Loving_Daniel11
Best Line.
"One...Whats up with your hair?"
"Two...I just Farted.."

BOPRecruit 16
more or less, i loved the movie. give it about four stars. my favorite character was hannibal king because he was so funny! eek! i love it when he said: "All that I have got to say to you is: One, What is up with your hair? It's rediculous! Two, I just ate alot of garlic and I just farted. Silent but deadly." laughing also, he says the "f**k" so damn much throughout the whole movie! another fave quote of his that i actually use: "sorry, i had alot of sugar this morning!" big grin laughing

FrothByte
blade 1 was great, blade 2 was good, blade trinity? - terrible.

the movie so much lacked cohesion that i didn't notice the film ended already. i was still kinda waiting for the climax when the credits appeared.

king had a couple of funny remarks, but he pulled out jokes too often and was starting to get annoying. some of his jokes were ill timed.

biel was good, but she ruined it with her ipod thing. listening to music while fighting, that's so crappy.

blade was best as usual, but the director didn't give him as much focus as he should have. The title of the movie IS BLADE: Trinity, not King And Whistler: starring Blade.

posey was just plain annoying. she couldn't portray a character that would make me believe that she was a leader of a vampire band.

at least triple h didn't act as terrible as i thought. sure i've seen better, but for all the wrestlers turned actors, he didn't act as bad as half of them.

my greatest disappointment lay in drake. i love his deep voice, but that's about it. for someone who has lived for centuries and is king of the vampires, he didn't seem to radiate the elegance and power that you'd expect. i was sorta expecting drake to be a cool, calm, cruel and deadly swordsmaster with the efficiency and precision of a warrior who has trained for hundreds of years... what i saw was a shouting, hacking madman who looked like an unleashed barbarian. and on top of it all, he never seemed to gain an upperhand on blade except when he became all bestial - which i might add looked like a creature stolen from the angel series.

gibs_ie
The Blade films lets face it are all meant to be no brainers, this one is no exception, dont go to this movie expecting great dialogue, expect a fun film to take ur mind of things and that is exactly what this film is. The only thing i will say i was dissapointed with it is, the action or lack there of and we all know how much more could have been done with blade facing dracula!!!

Mane
No brainers? Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Daywalker
I still loved the film but I agree that the final confrontation with Drake should have been much much better. It almost looked like Blade was playing with him in the sword fight. Drake should have been much more formidable.

Is the DVD out yet??? I really need it! cool

Daywalker

Lord_Andres
better then the secound, worse then the first, now this aint that bad, but it aint great, its medicore, I thought that the first half was pretty nice, but the secound seemed rushed, the final confrontation between Dracula and Blade was way to short, and I mean WAY TO SHORT, I dont know, it was what one could expect with todays action movies, nothing more

BOPRecruit 16
i thought it was strange, yet amusing, when hannibal king said: "f**k me sideways!" when he saw the vampire dogs. laughing

also, parker posey did look a bit strange as a vampire. mainly her hair and makeup was strange. i guess it wasn't aimed to look more natural...

tabby999
sounds like they got given a shit load of money by apple, then realised they couldn't fit the product placement in, so they added some stupid "trait" for a character...i wanted to buy a ipod anyway

Stokely

Goldensky
if there was such thing as 1/2 out of ten i would give blade 3 1 out of 100 possably the worst film i have ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever well you get my point plese dont see it because if you do they might be tempted to make another 1

dubefan
heres a question for your review, was this movie really needed? i eman we sorta assumed blade was the guy that dracula said he was so like it sorta made the series kinda drop down thre pegs and its now up there with one of the other "lets make sequels purel on the fact that peope will pay to come and see this movie, and not on a good plot" its been what 2 years since bade2?? i think. so this movie was rushed plain and simple

Darth Odious
Blade 3 was good. It had alot of great characters. Parker Posey was at home with the bratty Danica. She makes a great villian even in Dazed and Confused then again I'll watch her in anything. The wrestler guy(sorry dudes can't remeber name) was as effective as could be when it came to casting a wrestler, you get what you pay for, Hannibal was funny yet I'll admit some scenes went to long most likely for him to get the funny out of his system . I think the crew laughed harder than the audience. Jessica Biel was another story. Sure she's hot and not a bad actor when shes at least in her element, but she was rediculous in this role. The only reason she did this role was to as usual shake off her 7th heaven good girl image. All we saw was the same crap we saw in Maxim. The idea of blade being tricked into killing a human was clever and I liked the idea of him being the most wanted man alive. It put an even more visious element to Blades already bruised existence. " Dracula" was an actor who was hired for his headshots I'm sure. Just another actor with muscles who could " look evil" and " talk evil" and give the typical " evil frown of wrath." You can see hundreds of these guy on melrose riding their shiny harelys with some bony big mouth
skank model on the back. He was about as intimidating as a clown losing his temper at a kids birthday party. Snipes is good as Blade. He kicks ass and never fails to please for the classic comback at the end of all three films. I don't know if he's a good martial artist off screen, but he definately flows well although I'm dying to see him in full caporia fury. Blade is one of those films that I don't really come down to hard on because I'm a fan. True some fans are hurt by this last one, I try to keep it simple with this series. Yeah it ain't perfect but these films are more about stlye and flash than top notch acting, perfect script, I just enjoy watch Blade lose his temper and beat the living piss out of everybody. It's just a damn movie I guess, right? Right? yes

dubefan
ya it is just a movie but how can they take the franchise from greatness whch the first one was and aleser extent the 2nd one and completely drag it threw the mud i eman come on

kevdude
i liked the movie it was good but i think they coulda picked another Dracula, the drac in Van Helsing, Dracula 2000, and especially Bram Strokers: Dracula with Gary Oldman is how Dracula should be shown something powerful, dark and mysterious. this Drac doesn't give off hardly any of that. Drake should have been honored more by his vampires then he was, it kinda seemed like he was part of the team and not the leader. at the end of the movie it does show Drake never did die. and what of all those doctors when they was going to look over his body??? when he switched back to Dracula none of the doctors said anything (they at least had time to scream before the movie ended) so that kinda makes me think they are vampires or people working for Drake.

Darth Odious
Originally posted by Loving_Daniel11
This was one badass movie. Kelly is pretty hot. He's a lucky,lucky,lucky,luckylucky,lucky,lucky,lucky guy there. I'd marry ya.serenade

Darth Odious
Originally posted by dubefan
ya it is just a movie but how can they take the franchise from greatness whch the first one was and aleser extent the 2nd one and completely drag it threw the mud i eman come on Because Hollywood has it's head so far up it's own ass, that it needs switchback trails just to find it's way out. The first was the best, no doubt. Especially the beginning. Bloodbathhhhh! Happy Dance

dubefan
ya man but meh

deadzoombie14
hello

dubefan
whats goin on?

muslimleader89
l
one eye

muslimleader89
lol

dubefan
yes blade trinity sucked balls i mean who remembers that blind girl???? she was watching the security monitors, arent these day stalkers supposed ot be the best thing since sliced bread, thats funny, blind girl go watch the security cameras, were gonna go shoot some hoops

b-dan
Originally posted by JADE_THE_CSI
yes I got lucky this year and won tickets to the advanced screening of "Blade: Trinity". This movie has been long anticipated by "Blade" fans, and Wesley Snipes delivers in this final showdown between good and evil. As they always say, REALLY good movies come in threes, and this movie has it. I can't give away too much, or I'll ruin your experience!
Packed with an explosive beginning, this newest adventure has the ever-taciturn Blade pursuing none other than a resurrected Dracula (Dominic Purcell), now known as Drake. Blade is being hunted by the FBI after being tricked by a gang of vampires into accidentally killing a human. Misled into believing that there is no such thing as vampires by the vampire rulers, Blade is quickly labeled as a serial killer, and is blamed for more deaths. He becomes their public enemy number 1, and is a top priority to apprehend. They subsequently find his hide-out, and kill Whistler in the effort to catch Blade. With no choice left, he teams up with the Nightstalkers, a gang of human vampire hunters. The group is led by Whistler's daughter, Abigail (Jessica Biel), and a former vampire named Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds). Also part of the team is Sommerfield (Natasha Lyonne), a blind scientist working on a more permanent solution to the vampire problem. Their nemeses include a particularly strong-willed female vampire (Parker Posey) and her cohorts (Callum Keith and pro wrestler Triple H).

Of course, Blade does get caught by the FBI, but a massive "rescue" is arranged by the hunters. It all leads up to the final showdown and in the end Blade and Drake finally put an end to vampires once and for all.

Jessica Biel does wonderful as Abigail, and Ryan Reynolds provides some comedy relief. The end is not what you think. It's a shocker!
Of course, we cannot forget............................
Blade can't go anywhere without his sword!

I give it 2 thumb up thumb up WAY up! big grin i give it no thumbs i think balde 2 is better the ppl that rated the movie were rite worst movie of the year and i think dracula could of loocked cooler in human form he was cool in vampire form never liked blade i only like the bad guys

dubefan
ya dracula or drake as he was referred to in the film, kinda looked like he was an idiot but then he turned into that demon thing, WTF that was also ridiculous, the best bad guy was frost because his plan acctually made sence, ok the reapers were cool too, but i liked frost

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.