2005 Grammy Nominees - Kanye West Leads w/ 10 Nods

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CBright7831
Record of the Year: "Let's Get It Started," The Black Eyed Peas; "Here We Go Again," Ray Charles and Norah Jones; "American Idiot," Green Day; "Heaven," Los Lonely Boys; "Yeah!" Usher featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris.

Album of the Year: "Genius Loves Company," Ray Charles and Various Artists; "American Idiot," Green Day; "The Diary of Alicia Keys," Alicia Keys; "Confessions," Usher; "The College Dropout," Kanye West.

Song of the Year: "Daughters," John Mayer (John Mayer); "If I Ain't Got You," Alicia Keys (Alicia Keys); "Jesus Walks," C. Smith and Kanye West (Kanye West); "Live Like You Were Dying," Tim Nichols and Craig Wiseman (Tim McGraw); "The Reason," Daniel Estrin and Douglas Robb (Hoobastank).

New Artist: Los Lonely Boys; Maroon 5; Joss Stone; Kanye West; Gretchen Wilson.

Pop Vocal Album: "Genius Loves Company," Ray Charles and Various Artists; "Feels Like Home," Norah Jones; "Afterglow," Sarah McLachlan; "Mind, Body and Soul," Joss Stone; "Brian Wilson Presents Smile," Brian Wilson.

Rock Album: "The Delivery Man," Elvis Costello & the Imposters; "American Idiot," Green Day; "The Reason," Hoobastank; "Hot Fuss," the Killers; "Contraband," Velvet Revolver.

R&B Album: "My Everything," Anita Baker; "I Can't Stop," Al Green; "The Diary of Alicia Keys," Alicia Keys; "Musicology," Prince; "Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2," Jill Scott.

Rap Album: "To the 5 Boroughs," Beastie Boys; "The Black Album," Jay-Z; "The DEFinition," LL Cool J; "Suit," Nelly; "The College Dropout," Kanye West.

Country Album: "Van Lear Rose," Loretta Lynn; "Live Like You Were Dying," Tim McGraw; "Tambourine," Tift Merritt; "Be Here," Keith Urban; "Here for the Party," Gretchen Wilson.

Latin Pop Album: "Amar Sin Mentiras," Marc Anthony; "SinVerguenza," Bacilos; "Pau-latina," Paulina Rubio; "Diego Torres: MTV Unplugged," Diego Torres; "El Rock De Mi Pueblo," Carlos Vives.

All of the nominees are on Grammy.com

EDIT - I'm getting tired of this not being able to post a link crap.

supertruper
Thanks for posting this... didn't even realize they were announced already. How many of those 10 do you think Kanye West is going to pick up?

CBright7831
Probably alot.

loserib

supertruper
I hope that Black Eyed Peas gets a nod. Love their new album.

hh?
"THATS NOT HIP HOP HOP, ITS SOMETHING ELSE!!"- DJ Premier

tabby999
arn't the grammys a load of shit? i thought they were always mocked for meaning nothing

ElectricBugaloo
The Grammys don't mean anything.

tabby999
didn't think so, its just a load of record companys sucking their own cocks

Tptmanno1
exactly.....

But it IS nice to see some better music there,
I would like to see APC....

ElectricBugaloo
APC only put out their covers album, right?

Anyways, if anyone deserved to be on the list it was Elliott Smith. Great album, it would have been perfect for the Grammy voters because it was his last album--and he's nowhere to be found.

Darth Revan
Yep, they haven't released anything else this year.

Wow, Ray Charles got 8 nominations. Not bad for a dead guy.

Few decent bands on there too. *sigh* Takes me back to the days when RATM was getting noticed by them...

MornGlory
http://www.drudgereport.com

MornGlory
i dont even know who this west person is....

it seems that every year the grammy nominees get worse and worse

SlipknoT
Well I think Slipknot deserves both of them but I only think they will win best Metal preformance. Velvet Revolver will probably win best Hard Rock preformance even though Slipknot should.

alic88
finally sum1 has said it. me neither...

Darth Revan
Probably because you spend too much time on that retarded news site you keep posting links to no expression

'Course he does suck so you're not missing much.

Slipknot> no Incubus should win it mad

<<Solo>>
You don't want to know.

SlipknoT
But Incubus isnt Hard Rock at all

ElectricBugaloo
And Slipknot isn't good at all either.

They are based off the same principle as N Sync and boy bands: image.

SlipknoT
I never said Incubus isnt good, I said they arent hard rock.

ElectricBugaloo
Oh, well, my point still stands.

CBright7831
Neither is Nickelback.

tabby999
like i said, they're pointless, dont argue about them, its just an exscuse for record exsecs to get there rocks off

loserib
i would like to see cradle motorhead or slipknot win the metal award you must admmit that the metal catagory is has gotten much better

SlipknoT
yea, they have some good bands

Afro Cheese
I like Killswitch Engage more than any of those bands. And it's funny how much hate Kanye gets these days.. seems like as soon as someone gets their video played on MTV everyone turns on them. Yeah as an emcee he's weak but he's a pretty good producer and he beats the hell out of the black eyed peas. Not everything has to have mind boggling lyrics.

*SpunkiE*
You all have ur own opinions but yeah, Kanye seriously deserves all he gets. Finally a good boy with good music is getting attention! I love him!

Darth Revan
It's not good music though... It's almost decent music. I can understand having non mind boggling lyrics, but his lyrics are not only that, they are just boring. He talks about the same shit every mainstream rapper talks about. Besides which, I don't see what the big fuss about him being a "good boy" is. That's how hip hop started, a bunch of kids who decided they were going to sit around and rap battle each other and mix beats instead of killing each other. It was originally a somewhat peaceful affair. Gangster rap didn't even exist until Ice-T came along.

MornGlory
is eminem nominated a hundred times??? puke

Silver Stardust
Can't stand Kanye West.

Can't really judge too much by the grammies...I mean, hell, they have Avril Lavigne nominated under pop AND rock!

But still...GO INCUBUS! love

MornGlory
Avril Lavigne is nominated??? huh

o well

*SpunkiE*
As i said, we all have our own opinions...

Deathblow
rather Kanye West than most of those other shitheads.

I don't think he's all that bad really, he's different, and he certainly doesn't go for all that weak gangsterism stuff like most of the G-Unit generation. I know I'll probably get crucified for liking something 'popular' here, but along with Outkast, I think he's got a good thing going on.

tabby999
i like Ice-T but generally find all these new breed rappers boring and whingy

*SpunkiE*
I totally agree with u... smile

Silver Stardust
Yeah...several times...under both the pop and rock categories...messed

SlipknoT
How did Avril Lavigne get a Rock nomination?

Silver Stardust
No ****ing clue...

Cinemaddiction
The "Best Metal Performance" category really has some horrible options.

I mean "Vermillion"? "Live for the This"? Did they just go pick the most radio friendly tracks off of their albums?

Killswitch Engage will most likely be the sleeper, because I don't think any of their stuff is as soft as what songs are in contention. I hope Hatebreed doesn't win for 2 reasons. 1) That song blows, and the album is a lot stronger than THAT weak ass track, and 2) awards shouldn't mean shit to them in the first place. It would give people more fuel for their "mainstream hardcore" arguements, should they win.

Cinemaddiction
The same way she got a record deal...*WINK WINK* *NUDGE NUDGE*

SHE ****ED HER WAY TO THE TOP, PEOPLE!

Afro Cheese
Kanye west is a producer.. no matter how much he tries to rap he'll always be a producer. His lyrics are simple.. but they are tolerable in my opinion. He's good at what he does, which is being a producer. I'm not saying he's the artist of the year, but he is musically talented.

Darth Revan
I agree with you that he is better than most other popular rappers, even if he's still not all that great. I also agree with you about Outkast. I don't hate all mainstream... Some of it is decent. thumb up

Afro Cheese
I agree.. he doesn't focus on such a gangsta image and he even shows some respect for women, which is rare in the rap world even among many underground artists. I really don't like newer Outkast though..

CBright7831
Kanye's album may have been the best album to drop this year.

SlipknoT
No, far from it.

tabby999
we're just saying hes shit but not AS shit as some of the other people who could have been nominated

Afro Cheese
Yeah but he is talented.. just not talented at writing songs. Can't you think of anyone you listen to mainly for the instrumentals?

Konjammenson
I would just like to know what Kanye has done that is really so great. I understand that he produces, but come on, a lot of people out there have doen a lot more than he has. I have listened to his songs and would have to say that he is entirely over rated. His flow is bad and the lyrics childish. I would also have to say that his whole "college dropout" theme is pretty stupid as well.

Afro Cheese
I didn't say he was "so great" I said he's talented. People are saying he's "shit" and I disagree. And you just put down his flow and lyrics, which I won't stand up for anyway. I think he's a good producer, not a tremendous one, but talented nonetheless. Calling him shit is going overboard in my opinion.

CrazyInLove
I like Kanye

tabby999
he can go suck on one of the studio big wigs for all i care, hes still a little record company whore

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.