How to underestimate Bond's influence: a chart

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
Channel 4's "The Ultimate Film" counted down the most successful 100 films to show in UK cinemas ever.
They rank according to attendances...

#90 You Only Live Twice 1967
Estimated Admissions 8.3m

#80 Die Another Day 2002
Estimated Admissions 8.58m

#69 Live And Let Die 1973
Estimated Admissions 9m

#61 Moonraker 1979
Estimated Admissions 9.41m

#34 The Spy Who Loved Me 1977
Estimated Admissions 12.46m

#27 Goldfinger 1964
Estimated Admissions 13.9m

#18 Thunderball 1966
Estimated Admissions 15.6m

Looks pretty shitty huh? From the 20 Bond movies, only 7 got the top 100...

That's not difficult at all! Just think about it for a minute,... what do they do? they check according to attendences which looks pretty objective, right? no inflation and such...

WRONG, this is even worse, you can at least adapt inflation but not this.
What's wrong with this? At the start of the movie-making industry, who went watching? Average Joe? No! the rich, who could afford it and mostly only once.

It is only the last few years that going to the movies has become a "hobby" or something that is considered a normal "hanging out-time", which is a very big contrast with the start when it was very elite.

Seeing that Thunderball managed to get 15.6 million people is admirable, but it looks much more powerful when you realise that this was established in 1966; most movies get already 10 million at minimum these days...

Kaleanae
You said it Yerss

yerssot
damn straight girl wink

The Redeemer
And where the f*ck, old boy, is a classic like OHMSS amongst all this rubbish? eek! There's no accounting for taste!!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
well, perhaps it's not that bad at all wink

The Redeemer
*cough* GOLDFINGER *cough*

yerssot
I like that one

The Redeemer
*cough* Spyware again *cough* laughing out loud

yerssot
...Don't follow blink

The Redeemer
I just bet!!! wink

yerssot
you just won stick out tongue

The Redeemer
Of course i did...i always do! wink

yerssot
you won't hear that much huh stick out tongue

The Redeemer
Don't forget...when the OTHER 00 agents are gone there's still me!!! whistle

yerssot
cause you're sub-sub-sub-sub-sub agent? stick out tongue

The Redeemer
No 5??? eek!

yerssot
sure, we'll go even more sub stick out tongue

The Redeemer
If this is a post Connery ref you can forget it!!! stick out tongue

yerssot
it should be? stick out tongue

The Redeemer
Knowing you, it's something from a PIERCE film! sick

yerssot
and you should start seeing those too wink

Clovie
where was that? huh

yerssot
what?

Clovie
that audience..ppl who voted huh

yerssot
I don't follow blink

Clovie
yhm...

how did they make this chart.
pll voted, or what? confused

Evy_O
not at all to me messed out of ALL the UK movies ever, 7 Bond movies are a damn lot! no matter who watched when!
and it's not given that they judge it with bond-fans' criteria (even so not all movies were masterpieces, right?), they have to be movies that, as a whole, respond to people's general liking yes

so all in all I think Bond did well big grinthumb up

yerssot
yes, but my point, evy, is that in the '60s-'70s, going to the movies wasn't as popular as it is now. These days it is normal to go to the movies weekly or a few times a week, at that point it very much wasn't and I think they should have thought of that: society and how to spend their free time changes!

no, they just went to see the movie

Clovie
i don't understand sad

yerssot
that they just see how many people go messed

Clovie
to the cinema?

yerssot
yes messed

Clovie
i got it at last bag

yerssot
yay happy

Clovie
yeah bag

yerssot
so what is your opinion eek!

Clovie
that there should be goldeneye

Evy_O
oooh... so the poll was based on a statistic with regard to the viewers? messed and are you sure they didn't take it into consideration? erm

yerssot
yes to both your queries (I always wanted to use that word happy )

they just wrote down how many people saw the movies in the cinema, without even thinking that in the last few years it is not 'a'-normal to go a few times to the same movie or just in general more to the cinema

kalsolar
When you take into account the tastes of the average Joe, then 7 out of the 20 is good going in my opinion. That's more than a third of all bond movies...and lets be honest...as much as we love em, not all of them truely make the grade. The likes of octopussy and TMWTGG spring to mind as examples. OHMSS is a wonderful bond..but well...it was never going to do that well with the unknown mr lazenby in the leading role. (Even though he does well over all). And there are probably simple reasons why many of the others didnt totally do it for the general public. DAF is another example of an average bond.

yerssot
but if you then go and look at how many people went to see the movie and compare it to the total of movie-goers in that year, you get a totally different statistique in which every bond movie will undoubtedly score good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.