Who does Obiwan take orders from?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef3
In ANH, princess Leia indicates that Obiwan faught for her father during the Clone wars. Will we see Obiwan taking orders from Bail Organa in EPIII?

yerssot
that or they will say that the jedi listen to senators?

bigsef3
It just seems odd for the military to take orders from a specific senator.... thats why i always felt it would make the most sense for bail organa to be some sort of high ranking republic military officer.

yerssot
well, he and palpa look out to the troops at the end of AOTC, so perhaps he has some ranking

bigsef3
I hope we somehow see that obiwan takes orders from bail in EPIII, otherwise there could be a continuity problem

cornponious
Well, duuuuuh, Leia said to Obiwan in EI that (when talking in the hologram) "...you served under my father in the clone wars..." .

Obviously he's going to serve under Bail.

corn

yerssot
doesn't mean we have to SEE it

cornponious
You are correct, sir.

cor-ny

bigsef3
we do need to see it, because there is no reason thus far to beleive the statement even has the possibility to be true.

yerssot
if they fight and all and we don't SEE them getting orders, than the ANH statement still stands

rustiswordz
Correct, remember the wars have been raging for 3 years when EP3 arrives, so whos to say Bali hasnt given OB1 orders during that unseen time.

bigsef3
How can a SENATOR order a GENERAL to take military action? thats now how "democracy" works

yerssot
there is no democracy anymore bigsef, whatch AOTC again, Palpatine gets emergency powers to act as a dictator

Ushgarak
Also, you have to stop mistaking the Republic for a unified entitiy- it is a coming together of Sovereign worlds, more like the UN than a single country. This is why it doesn't have a single army for most of its history, the closest being the Jedi (who, incidentally, were at one point in the design stage for TPM decked out in UN peacekeeper style uniform).

So this is not like a US Senator ordering a US General. When Palpatine uses emrgency measures to create a Republican army- based, obviously, on the Clones- in AOTC, they would be looking for all sorts of talented people for high command. Bail may represent Alderan at the Senate but that in no way de-bars him from taking military rank under these circumstances.

Alternatively, Obi-Wan may not be taking ORDERS, as such, but powerful politicians like Bail may be, under Palpatine, directing the war effort, in which case Obi-Wan might be one of the Generals responsible for carrying out Bail's objectives- wars are run by politicians, after all.

finti
guess Obi Wan takes his orders through the JC

bigsef3
I would think obiwan would take orders from the council, who, in turn takes orders from palpatine. From watching AOTC, there is no reason to thik Bail Organa is obiwans superior.

Ushgarak
Well, no, but the wars have not started yet at that point so AOTC is no good as refernece.

finti
I believe that the JC assign Jedis to tasks where they might have to serve under the likes of Bail Organa.
Like in TPM, QGJ and Obi was acting on behalf of the Supreme Chancellor

Odde Raciir
I've seen a small picture (here on this forum, I think) where Bail wears some kind of militar uniform, very similar to the ones used by Imperials officers... Maybe we'll see some kind of evolution of Bail from senator to some figure inside military ranks

Darth Jello
fighting for someone does not necesarily mean taking orders, it could be just defending the territory.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.