Star Wars: Republic Commando

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cal31
I'm already so hooked on this game, it's unbelievable. There's a playable demo version on the KOTOR 2 game, and I've already played it 5 times, it's that addicting. The blend of Halo, Metroid Prime, and Rainbow Six 3 gameplaye is perfect and the graphics are great. It's basically like playing Halo 2 but being able to give squad manuevers and have a team. I honestly feel that this game is going to be better than Halo 2.

SnakeEyes
I am gonna buy it for PC!

MC Mike
In my opinion, there are already many games better than Halo 2, including games that came out before it. So just because it will be better isn't really a push for me to get it. messed But I might. big grin

cal31
I'm talking in terms of FPS for xbox, where Halo is the ultimate FPS.

WindDancer
I was thrill to find out that SW Republic Commando demo was included in KOTOR II. I played it and it was fun......nothing special. But worth it own it.

cal31
I just picked it up today, and it is definetly one of the best games I've ever played.

Smasandian
The PC version I also felt it wasnt that special. Alot of running down corridors and considering its the Star Wars franchise, corridors kinda of sucked.

ChickinMeat
Played the demo a few times, ive really enjoyed it

Kaldro
I am gonna be buying it soon for the xbox. Very eager to play!

Tptmanno1
Ohh its a port from x-box, I might not get it then, Consol ports at least FPS wise are allways sub-par

cal31
It isn't a port of the xbox, it was released on PC and Xbox at the same time.

ragesRemorse
Halo 2 is not the ultimate Fps. just an updated halo.

As for republic commando's Decent game, but nothing special.

DCLXVI
Buying it next friday....wink

BackFire
The PC version has gotten mediocre reviews, PC Gamer gave it a 62% or something.

cal31
Gamespot.com, rated the best online gaming site last year, gave it a 8.7.

cal31
As I said, for Xbox it is the ultimate FPS, until Half Life 2 comes out for it.

BackFire
I take the word of PC Gamer over an online site any day of the week.

DCLXVI
I think it's a good game.
But you can't go by what others critique something - you have to figure out if you like it on your own......

cal31
Very true.

ragesRemorse
Why do people buy a video game on the word of a review from a magazine? That just seems silly.

cal31
same reason some people go to see movies based on movie reviews

ragesRemorse
Kind of a big difference though isnt it? I mean a two hour $8 experience, to a $50 limitless expereince?

Linkalicious
I beat KOTOR 2 three times.

And i had no clue there was a demo on it. embarrasment

BackFire
Unfortunately with a PC game it's the only way you can judge a game without buying it, legally that is.

You can't rent PC games as you can with console games, so it's very reasonable to go by what very credible reviewers say about a game, rather then wasting 50 bucks buying a game blindly just so you can "try it for yourself".

Revan X
Played and beat it already and it kicked a** the end was awesome I'm not saying any thing else!

cal31
Originally posted by BackFire
Unfortunately with a PC game it's the only way you can judge a game without buying it, legally that is.

You can't rent PC games as you can with console games, so it's very reasonable to go by what very credible reviewers say about a game, rather then wasting 50 bucks buying a game blindly just so you can "try it for yourself". What are you talking about? There is demo that you can download for almost any Pc game out there.

BackFire
Yes, however demo's aren't trustworthy most of the time. They are generally the best part of the game and nothing more, so you play a demo that is very fun, go buy the game, then realize that the only really good part of the game was in teh demo and that the rest of the game sucks (which is usually the case)

Bottom line, demo's aren't usually good ways to test out the longivity and fun factor for a full game.

BackFire
Anyways, I just downloaded the demo, seemed alright.

DCLXVI
I guess you are right, BackFire.....
I just bought Republic Commando today, (got payed a day early - sweet!), and I headed right to the store afterwards to get it.
I've spent the last three hours playing it....it's so viseral, so realistic.....especially for Star Wars....
I have to say, right now, I think I'll be playing quite a bit more of RC than I will of either HALO or HALO 2 for quite awhile......
I just can't get over the WOW effects....the graphics are absolutely brilliant.....
But then again, this is just one fanboy's interpretation. stick out tongue

hotsauce6548
sounds really good. my frend rented it and he's pretty far but he sed its a hard game.

is it really hard?

Smasandian
I go by the word of a review because its cost 50 bucks or more for one game and if its not good then its wasted money. Especially with PC games where if its opened, its almost impossible to return it.

I dont actually look at the score, but I read the detailed review to see if it will interest me. I do this because the reviewers isnt paid by the company to give good reviews so its somewhat unbiased. Also, seeing trailers and screenshots dont give an accurate view of the game because they're chosen by the company of the developer to show the most exciting part of the game.

Unlike music and movie review, videogame reviews are pretty accurate because generally the movie reviewer is chosen to review to a certian type of game because they're fans of that genre. Also, personal satisfaction isnt taken much into account because its pretty hard to say this game is fun when clearly bad camera and horrible level design is so obvious.

DCLXVI
hotsauce> Some parts.
Smasandian> I didn't think that at all....confused
stick out tongue

ChickinMeat
This game has wookies in it, automatic winner for me!

ragesRemorse
Republic commando had potential of being a damn good game. I liked how it broke away the extreme star wars commercial presentation. the graphics and controls are supurb. However, the gameplay is disgutingly unbalanced. The game is either far to easy or far to difficult. Health stations are around every corner, so you dont really have to develop any kind of tactics, just run through untill oyu make it around the corner to a med station. When you run into super battle droids your only choice of combat is to your melee attacks, the same with droid dekaars. ounce you figure out that you have to use melee attacks on those two giants the rest of the game falls into place of being of being an insult. It is entirely to easy.However, it is fun anyone can pick up the controls, but the lack of difficulty and lack of weapons makes the game real old realf fast.

Stealth Agent
Originally posted by cal31
Gamespot.com, rated the best online gaming site last year, gave it a 8.7.

thats impressive to because gamespot rats stuff hard

Smasandian
They do and they dont.
They rated Half Life 2 at 9.2 and say the main problem is that it doesnt reinvent or have a good story and then go and rate Halo 2 at 9.4 and say that the sp is crap basically but multiplay is a blast.
They're really wonky on it sometimes.
Some games get bad reviews for not having something like MP but then when a game comes out with MP but its utter crap (Metriod Prime 2), they say, "well its there, BUT you dont have to play it" and dont take that into account with overall review of the game.

PS. This isnt me saying that HL2 is better or not or that Halo 2 was crap. It was me commenting on thier review.

ragesRemorse
If a game has fun multiplayer aspects or a good online system gamespot overlooks faults in the game itself many times. I like game informer for the reviews. I like playing a game before i read reviews, and game informer usually does a good job on the whole.

Smasandian
I dont agree with that though. Just because one part of the game is fun, doesnt mean it can overtake another part of the game thats horrible. Especially when the game was previewed, theyre always talkin about the part thats horrible and saying how great it is.
Gamespot angers me sometimes.

DCLXVI
I can see where you're coming from, Smasandian....

SuperFooB
This game rules! I got it last Friday and I have been playing it every day since. I'm only on the last part of the *spoilers ahead maybe* ghostship level where all the trade federations droids keep coming in, I got to the very last part where I need to slice the computer, but theres so many damn SBD's that I keep dieng. Oh well, I've been playing multiplayer way more though, Arena G9 is awesomeeeeeeeeee.

DCLXVI
That part is hard, 'cause I kept going through the wrong door, and I kept getting killed by SBD's at the end. stick out tongue

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by SuperFooB
This game rules! I got it last Friday and I have been playing it every day since. I'm only on the last part of the *spoilers ahead maybe* ghostship level where all the trade federations droids keep coming in, I got to the very last part where I need to slice the computer, but theres so many damn SBD's that I keep dieng. Oh well, I've been playing multiplayer way more though, Arena G9 is awesomeeeeeeeeee.

What the hell are you talking about? Maybe i missed somthing, but the last level of republic commando is on the wookie homeplanet. There is no ghost ship in this game.

cal31
Yes, there is a level called Ghostship.

ragesRemorse
Do you mean the stage near the beginning? like the second stage? This game was so short so it is hard to not know what stages there were. It takes about five hours to beat.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.