the silmarillion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sauron
the title given to the large and exceedingly ancient collection of songs and tales of the first age assembled in rivendell during the latter part of the third age by bilbo baggins (which he named, translations from the elvish) it is made up of five seperate works, the ainulindale or music of the ainur, composed by rumil of tirion. the valaquenta or history of the valar and mair. the quenta silmarillion or history of the silmarils. the alkabeth or downfall of numenor. and of the rings of power written by frodo baggins....

so what is your favourite part, story, character of this book

favourite deed...most valiant...brave....stupid....sad....

anything silmarillion goes here!

Exa

Fëanor
well it goes without saying...mine is the story of Feanor, his sons and the fall of the Noldor...his pride and obsession for the silmarils caused the sorrow and woe to the Eldar and to his house...It was they that started the first kinslaying...and quite possibly Feanor may be the first elf and the last to be doomed in Mandos to never be reborn until the final theme is sung...

It is even said that his spirit burns bright even in Mandos' Hall...

Exa

sauron
laughing is what i do stick out tongue

wizzee
im just really happy cos i've just been given a first addition, in perfect condition by my nan who didnt know that i was a tolkien fan.

sauron
jealousy doesnt even begine to explain what im feeling right now

Discos
I much didnt like the death of Feanor, too quick formy liking, but a Balrog death is nothing "slow",

The silmarils would be the best place I like to read, the rings of power details alot of the background and whatnot....

I am busy so I shall post more detailed things later

Fëanor
Though Feanor has sworn to regain the lost silmarils...He now has sworn a new oath to gain said 1st edition...

~prepares a large host of elves to take the book~

stick out tongue

shadowy_blue
Favorite part? Valaquenta actually. It's just amazing reading who the Valar and the Valier and the Maiar and the Enemies are. big grin Who's the wife of who, what their powers are, etc.

Favorite story? Narn i-Hin Hurin, The Lays of Leithian, and the story of Eol, Aredhel and Maeglin. Don't ask me why. I'm a sucker for Eol. stick out tongue

Favorite Character? There are so many of them but overall, Sauron!

Favorite deed? Fingon setting out alone towards Angband just to save Maedhros. It's so touching. Considering that the House of Feanor and the House of Fingolfin still have strife during that time, Fingon is very admirable for doing that. smile

Most Valiant? Fingolfin. Challenging Morgoth one on one. And giving him a hard time. stick out tongue

Most brave? I say Luthien. There are many more characters that surpassed what she did but considering her character, it's very brave of her to face Sauron himself and fight him just to save Beren.

Most stupid? Ar-Pharazon. When he invaded Aman, what did he really expect to happen? That he could stroll in, kill or enslave all the Elves while the Valar just sat back and watched? I know he was paranoid of death and Sauron had been persuading him, but surely he could see no matter how blinded he was that if he went in there, he was going to get a mountain collapsed on him or something of that sort. Unfortunately, their fate ended up much worse than that.

Most sad? Turin and Nienor. 'nuff said. smile

sauron
well pharazon i see it

he was old, near to death

he could do this and be killed....or mmmaybe! he could somehow win (EVERYONE has a weakness) and gain imoortality

nothing to lose, life forever to gain

but what he didnt understand that simply going to valinor didnt stop you from dying

Fëanor
no...being mislead by Sauron that men can gain immortality unless Iluvatar changes the gift of men...Pharazon would still die...

Exa
... except when he could undo what his ancestors did... still he would be mortal but live far longer... but thats impossible stick out tongue

I dont think Pharazon was stupid, in contrary, he was quite intelligent... but he was blinded

sauron
feanor thats what i said!

also yeah blinded, it is sauron, hes quite sly you know

Exa
stick out tongue
Never noticed that before big grin but if you say so stick out tongue

Fëanor
neither did I...damn that Sauron...

I've been blinded... stick out tongue

actually I was agreeing to what you wrote...just out of context...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.