USA vs UK

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aku
Have you notcied that not only in movies but in other things such as video games, tv series, cartoons and even books, That the American is always the hero and the bad guy is always from the UK. Apart from 007 ofcourse but check it:

Films

-Gone in 60 Seconds
-Misson Impossible 2 (can't remember the first one)
-LOTR (Saruman)
-Shanghai Knights
-Independence Day (ok they are aliens but they are probably british).

Cartoons

-Ultimate Muscle
-Teen Titans

Video Games

-Metal Gear Solid
-Dino Crisis

Books

-Greater Columbia
-Orange Avenue

I Mean RACIST!!!!!! LoL

Aku
I can't think of anymore but don't you think it sucks?

baracustastic
Gandalf sounds English to me. As does Sam, Frodo, Merry, Theoden, etc. Except Pippin, who sounds Glaswegian.

In Shanghai Knights, Jackie Chan, very American!

Jon Voigt was tha bad dude in Mission Impossible, although there was that Max woman too.

It always seems preferrable to Americans that THEY save the world, while in reality they are the most likely to **** it up in the first place.

But I take your point. America is the biggest market, so the more American good guys in films the more likely yanks will be to like it. Also, naebdy likes the English, the whole history of thievin' other folks countrys (Scotland, Oz, India etc etc etc), so they make good bad guys.

Cinemaddiction
roll eyes (sarcastic) That about says it all.

Thorondor
England never stole Scotland roll eyes (sarcastic) they got battered trying to stick out tongue

dean7879
yeah after scotland got battered a dozen times...british steel that is though...from both countrys

i dont care if english are bad guys in films, ...we have james bond so hah! smile

SJS
i agree

MildPossession
Sophisticated villians, so naturally it's the British.

Thorondor
Original James Bond was Scottish roll eyes (sarcastic)

*cough Sean Bean

Aku
Plus the fact that pretty much every country on earth hates the english, i think you'll find that even scottish, irish and welsh will agree, but all they do is hug sheep, drink guiness, and eat haggis so screw them. (no racism intended).

But its down to our sarcastic remarks and our posh but evil accents. Whether americans have the kick-ass accents and the aussies are like WTF? all the time, but they are the new heros, (Hector /Wolverine etc.)

botankus
Hey, you're lucky UK people were even considered for those roles! By considered I mean "crossed someone's mind at some point."

Anyways, I'm kidding. Most people think of the UK when it comes to movies every now and then. Like every two years when a James Bond movie comes out...

I read somewhere that the movie industry is getting so global that it's harder and harder to create villains from other countries because there are more and more people than ever before that they don't want to offend.

baracustastic
"England never stole Scotland, they got battered trying to"

They did get thumped at Bannockburn, but after Flodden (bloodiest battle on the British Isles), an economic shafting by the English, a daft glory-craving King or 4, and politicians eager to line their pockets with English silver........in fact I suppose the English bought Scotland, for a ridiculously low amount of money, which I construe as thievery. So there.

McBane
The original question is actually a very good point! I hadnt noticed it until now!
Maybe its just cos the british play better baddies - Gary Oldman for instance -
Dracula
The Fith Element
Lost in Space
?
Gaz

dean7879
they all hate the english....proves we are doin something right
i dont think many english people have posh accents...only a small percentage...

Aku
Yeh but the english are our tea drinking, chip shops (scottish stole that from us), full english breakfast, and the fact that americans would not exsist without us.

Plus James Bond (when it was written) was an ENGLISH spy regardless of who played the part. Besides he Timothy Dolton didn't play James Bond as a welsh man, it wasnt "Bond, Jones the Bond, Double O Se-V-En"

Sex Pistol
Ok first of all i think you mean Sean Connery. As Sean Bean is english and never has been James Bond.

Secondly, have you heared about the new film were an American wins the battle of Britain? What the **** are these Americans on!?

Thorondor
Muppet Sean Bean english baddy, not a goody in James Bond. Have you ever seen Goldeneye?

And as it's been mentioned americans are the biggest grossing country for movies, so naturally the hero has to be american.

pr1983
wtf? what movie is that?

dean7879
americans are always making shit up...look at the patriot where english are portrayed as nazis or u571 where england decoded some codes or somethin like that but the americans made out that they did it..historically inaccurate bullshit

i know its only a film but there is no need to lie about history

KillTheLight
Exactly dean I agree.I find it some what pathetic that in U-571 that they change actual historical events Showing how it was the Americans that captured the enigma machine. Just so they could be perceived as the heroes.
The Americans were not involved in the capture of the enigma machine at all. It was actually retrieved by the British Royal Navy.Which just shows what glory hoggers they are.

Sex Pistol
Yeah. I mean in the patriot we seem to be power mad gits. But in real life more americans were on our side, and the Americans that wernt actually went round burning buildings and stuff.

Aku
O well they are just hollywoodified. Projection and stereotyping is what fuels the need for the damn british enemy bastards. Although the bad guys are generally cooler than the hero, take beyblade for example, KAI is so much cooler than Tyson, or in metal gear solid, Liquid is one of the coolest mother freakers out there, and he's posh!

dean7879
i loved it when lewis knocked tyson spark out...BANG! 1-0
lol

Sex Pistol
lol

McBane
Rule Britania

Aku
Speaking of beyblade anyone watch G revolution?

MornGlory
gotta love the british men!

Aku
Yeh coz Orlando Bloom is da new kid on block. And i know too many people who want to get with the guy. Although i tend to preffer girls without wieners myself.

MornGlory
NO NO NO not cause of Orlando Bloom-- I dont see what the big hoopla is with Orlando Bloom...

there are sexier british men then Orlando... I lived in London for a year.. saw lots of nice brit men

dean7879
orlando bloody bloom?!
he's a big headed git that fella. he coudnt find his arse with both hands

McBane
and he'd need help from his mum

BREN
I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA (THE WIFES AN AUSSIE) IM FROM LEEDS WEST YORKSHIRE! IM AS PATRIOTIC AS THEY COME,LOOK AT THE LANGUAGE WE ARE ALL TYPING IN ,ITS NOT CALLED AMERICAN ,ITS CALLED ENGLISH!,NUFF SAID! smile

Aku
Austrailia? The land of kangaroos, boomerangs, digeridoos (however its spelt) skippy, home and away, neibours, stupid accents and castlemaine.

Cinemaddiction
EDIT: What...the ****. Did a marsupial make unwanted sexual advances on you, thus igniting a grudge against Australian residents?

Classy?

BackFire
laughing out loud You do realize the irony in this statement, right?

Oh, by the way, Aku, don't call people names.

Sex Pistol
You cant be as patriotic as they come. You live in Australia. Very patriotic. I refuse to live anywhere other than England. And i come Sunderland that shows how much im wiling to live in England.

Aku
Sorry I mean no offence to aussies. Only while the UK were inventing things, Asians were builidng cool stuff and practicing martial arts, and Europe were generally working hard on trying to invade england. The aussies just thought "hey lets blow down a tube and discuss home and away.

Sex Pistol
Oooo harsh.

Cinemaddiction
..and that's a modern Australian's problem how? Can't exactly time travel to construct a satisfactory heritage, just to appease you.

This thread was a bad idea to begin with, I knew it.

BREN
sex pistol ,i am patriotic m8,but like i said the wifes an aussie and she has kids who cant leave the country,so sorry if u personally would give up on the person u love cos u dont ever wanna leave england,but i personally love my wife so i did leave blighty,id have rather not gone in to such detail but when a mans patriosm comes in to question,questions must be answered ,lol smile

botankus
Aku, while you're normally a good guy - shame on you for starting this thread in any forum besides the over-biased and trashed-up General Discussion forum!!

Aku
Sorry Botankus. Your the man by the way.

But this wasnt originally about how different peoples countries are its about the movies they make and how characters are stereotyped due to their cultural background. It's not like im induced by psychopharmacological influences. Savvy?

McBane
What!

Sex Pistol
Anyway lets talk about the differences betweeen uk and usa in movies.

Ps, i love your sig, i really like little britian too.

Aku
Little Britains classic.

I generally prefer english gangster movies to american ones, coz american ones are hollywoodified so they are unrealistic where as most gangster films from the UK are realistic coz they dont have the money to make a huge car crash scene or use special CGI.

Sex Pistol
Yeah british gangster film i think are more realsitic, cos thats what gangsters in the Uk are like, such as Lock stock and two smoking barrels.

Imperial_Samura
I like the English.... and eh? Sauraman was British? Were the orks Red Coats? Or do you just mean that the actors who play bad guys are British?

ragesRemorse
this is quite possibly the most pointless thread. Who gives a shit if English people are bad guys in a couple of American flicks? America produces the mostfilm, video games and books, dont you htink they would need some bad guys from somewhere other than america after a while?

A4E
might it be cuz all those movies/games/cartoons (which i find vwery stupid btw) are all american???

not that there's anything wrong with it and btw, i knew the alliens in the independance day were british! stick out tongue lol

lotrcrazy
umm..this forum is kinda one sided...u have all these british ppl talking about how screwy americans are.. what do you think we think about you now we know how much crap you think about us.

A4E
i aint british...erm
and i luv america! and britain... and i dont think bad things from nor side...
u proly dun care about my opinion lol... and i dunno about other brittons... mayb they do think shit about amerca... but who cares.... if they do... **** them...

dean7879
just because one or two british people are saying bad things about america doesnt mean it goes for all british people

i love everyone americans, italians, norweigens, french..i love everyone!!!
actually, no i hate the french big grin

botankus
laughing out loud

Aku
No one should hate anyone. The only country I hate is Bulgaria. But anyway, we are english we hate everyone coz everyone hates us Savvy?

Redcoat
An american director was asked why are the bad guys always British?, he replied "because they dont mind". I think american stars always want to be protrayed/seen as the heros, where as british actors are a bit more adventurous. Like someone said we make good sophisticated badguys smile.

btw im new here hello chaps!

In regard to the movie "the patriot", what a load of crap, most americans considered themselves British at that time, it was a minority of colonials that wanted independence(namely those who wanted wealth and power), many of the taxes that they rebelled against were actually cheaper than the original taxes they replaced. The scene showing British troops burning colonials alive in a church, that actually happened, but it was american colonials burning native indians in a church. Also another thing the movie ignores is that the US won that war, thanks to french money and men.

I dont think we are hated, we have good relations with most countries and even our former colonies. These days i think the americans have made themselves very unpopular(the government anyway, ive met and worked with many americans and found them to be a very freindly decent bunch, so dont look at this a american bashing).....oh and the french, we must have had that 100 year war for a reason ya know. stick out tongue

Red Superfly
I like the Brits being the bad guys.

I don't know what it is with America wanting to play the glorified hero all the time.

It's crazy the amount of war movies out there where the American producer has apparently re-written history and made the Americans the heroes. U571 springs to mind here.

I also find it hilarious how they try and appease us by having a token Brit in the main "squad".

"Sorry Brits, we're claiming history off you. Here, don't be mad, have a token Brit. Aww, look at those widdle Brits wiv their widdle British actor, they're so cute, yes they are, yes they are".

Got nothing against America - just erm, quit re-writing history.

And give it at least another 50 years before you make the War On Terrorism: The Movie where the Brits start a war on Saddam Hussain and the Americans have to "reluctantly bail us out and save the day" and have President Bush as a heroic fighter pilot who sacrifices himself at the end by flying into Saddams mouth while waving the USA flag and then finding out France was behind it all.

dean7879
watch churchill, the hollywood years
its about winston churchill who is an american who has an affair with the queen...looks hilarious and the film is having a pop at america..in a joking way

Aku
U571 just about says it all about Americans. lol

jaw2929
Scotland OWNS England

dean7879
u wish it did m8....scotland is a waste of time
stop dreaming and wake up

Red Superfly
Lol, even more perlexing is Scotlands resentment over the English. Whatever was in the past is in the past. It can't be re-written, so lets get on with life.

baracustastic
Scotland is the best country in the world, ever. But I'm Scottish, so I'm gonna think that.

The English don't like the Germans for spending 5 years TRYING to take them over. They don't like the Argentinians for spending a few months TRYING to take over the tiny, out of the way Falklands.

However, they don't understand Scottish people not liking them, despite the fact the English spent more than 500 years trying take control of Scotland, before they did so in a sneaky, sneaky fashion.

The English seemed to be uncontent with just their little bit of the world and decided to try and conquer the whole damn planet. So after nearly every country in the world having had to have fought the greedy English, maybe the world doesn't find it too hard to accept an evil Englishman. I know I don't.

lotrcrazy
I likt the way you think.."..if they do **** them.." lol smile

BackFire
This isn't really about movies anymore....

Moving to OTF.

McBane
yeah good old america. for some reason asking tiny little britain to help in iraq. and we didnt need them to bomb us to join!

Ronny
**** america sleep i hate it here anyway

TGL
england!

WindDancer
Who makes who look like bad guys? Have you seen Zulu? Who are the bad guys in the movie? and who are the good guys?...........riiiiiiiiight.

TGL
LIVERPOOOL & ENGLAND 4 THE BREAST

Meki_Nade
ok firstly the title is 'USA vs UK'
UK (united kingdom) is a collection of 4(5 inc N.Ireland) countries Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales. USA has 51 states?
Just to point out that the UK is arguing among itself here stick out tongue
also England is not another name for the UK (it's one of the 4 countries) Britain no longer exists really, as its UK and all the countries are equaly (not supressed by england)

TGL
UK IS BETTER THAN US

Meki_Nade
it really depends on what qualities, situations and areas your comparing

TGL
blair is better than bush!

Meki_Nade
both a couple of retards

Londonboy7
mad

TGL
TINY? HOW ABOUT CRAZY!

Bardock42
I think British do not, not like germans fopr trying to take them over but for suceeding if America hadn'T helped them. I have the theory that what you didn't like was not that we tried to conquer you but that you had to ask the US for help.
Anyway The UK rocks, especially Scotland.

TGL
england is better than the usa!

Bardock42
dude everyone knows that.

TGL
TRUTH

Bardock42
Go UK its your birthday ...

TGL
YAY, IS IT?

Bardock42
No its not.
Thats a song. Dammit.
Ah yes The UK has the best Music the best english accents, some of the bes actors, some great movies, basically they are great.

TGL
truth

Bardock42
ARRRRRRRR STOP SAYING THAT

TGL
?

truth

Bardock42
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Londonboy7
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR X2

Redcoat
I think youll find every country is guilty of this(some were succesfull some werent, for thousands of years one tribe has always tried to get one over another tribe, usually for territory, food, religeon and/or for survival, those tribes have now become countries, some countries are harder than other countries, we just happened to be one of the tougher/successful ones big grin

Ironically it was the irish and the scots who played a massive roll in empire building(cuz they are tough bastids too)

Bardock42
HEy it needed the whole world to beat us twice, whos touigh here I ask you.

Redcoat
Er..... the countries full title is the United kingdom of Great Britain, Like America is called the United States of America.

United kingdom is just an abreiviation

Redcoat
Aye, Germans are very tough, shame they are always on the wrong side :P

In fact were related, the Saxons(a germanic race) conquered us in the dark ages, although King Arthur gave them a headache at first(not just in the movie). smile

Bardock42
We are not on the "wrong" site we are on our site and everyone is against us which in the second world war was a good decision. Indee both our countries are Germanic to some extent, you were frenchised though (HAHA)
And maybe I akm wrong but isn't great britain the island with England Wales and scotland on it, and the UK is Northern Ireland and GB. Might be wrong though.

dean7879
England rock

Bardock42
GERMANY hitler
ups I didn't want that one shame on me

Redcoat
No...no... dont say that LOL, weve not been Frenchised, We were invaded by the Normans(North Men) in 1066, Normandy wasnt part of France at the time, stick out tongue.

The full title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, (sorry i forgot Northern Ireland, my bad) a bit long isnt it smile

Bardock42
yes, you could just call yourself New France stick out tongue

TGL
lol @ new france

MornGlory
love the british men...

but American Girls are people you keep as friends

MornGlory
love the british men...

MornGlory
love the british men...

TGL
i know a lot more ppl from the us on forum than i do with the british

eggmayo
Im british

TGL
so i'm i! but my dad is from mauritus

eggmayo
I dont know what that is...

Bardock42
mauritius? Don't they have a really expensive stamp from there?

eggmayo
What is Mauritus?

Bardock42
some country, probably a colony of your country at some time.

eggmayo
Ah, yeah, I dont know half of our colonies

Bardock42
yeah you had too many probably nnot even your queen knows half of em

eggmayo
lol

Bardock42
I mean its true, we had like three and you took em from us.

eggmayo
I dont think the queen would even know half the colonies.

Bardock42
Probably not. She is old you know

eggmayo
Yeah... her mind is probably decaying... thats kinda scary

TGL
i tihnk uk rules

Bardock42
I think you said that before.

baracustastic
Ireland is NOT part of the UK.

The UK came into being when Queen Elizabeth I died without an heir, her closest relative was King James VI of Scotland, son of Mary Queen of Scots, who was executed by her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I (psycho devil woman with wooden teeth....yeuch!!). So James VI became King James I of England as well as James VI of Scotland, thereby uniting the Kingdoms, hence the name.

Unfortunately us Scots must accept some of the blame for the British Empire. Sorry world. But considering the vast amount of great things Scotland has given the World, I hope the world forgives it.

However before 1603, England was rampaging about by themselves.

IMHO, America is the new England.

eggmayo
No, America is the country that is busy starting a new Empire.
They have no history and old traditions.

Bardock42
A uncool new england

baracustastic
The people living in America before the current lot, i.e. the native Americans, the folk post Columbus, then the people fighting the British, and now the Empire builders all have history and traditions. Thanksgiving and such like.

Anyway, my opinion remains the same. Bush America = Victorian England. Both ludicrously religious, patriotic, domineering, introspective, greedy and despised by the people they exploit.

eggmayo
English people now are far from patriotic, personally I despise England, and especially Leicester.

Df02
haha, if Scotland wasnt such a shit country in the first place they wouldve been able to stop us taking it...
England is a good country for bad guys because the accent is quite pompous nd almost arrogant sounding.

infact, Britain is more likely to save the world than America

DenKi
im from the UK and i would say USA,

U guys from the USadont really know how depressing it is over here,lol

eggmayo
England is a crap country. Northern Ireland is a crap country. Wales is a crap country. And.... Scotland is a crap country.

Df02
England is semi-decent i think...Ireland is very nice pretty country but a bit backwards. Scotland is nice, but doesnt have much going for it really.... and wales, well thats a dead ender that really

eggmayo
Scotlands too cold, people in Ireland seem to think your an outsider-terrorist-lunatic... and Wales.... yeah.... Wales is a dead-ender.

Bardock42
Still better than the US, except for New England maybe

SJS
well, UK ! they don't have a knobhead dude that rules the country !

baracustastic
SJS, the Uk definitely does have a knobhead head dude that rules the country! Tony "chimp-face" Blair. He's very much like George W "chimp-face" Bush.

Oh and Df02, if Scotland is so shit, how come England wanted it for 700 odd years? And how come a nation a tenth of the size of England kept the bawbags out for that long?

In my opinion England is the worst country in the world, so I suppose America has to be better, but only just.

eggmayo
Worst country in the world?

What about Zambia and all the third world countries where noone except the corrupt diplomats can afford food, where the water carries diseases we've probably never even heard of?

SJS
tony blair compared to bush, tony's , like, GOD.

dean7879
england are the worst country in the world??
thats just the comment i expected of a jealous scotsman who is jealous that his country will never be like england....oh well dont get to upset
scotland suck at everything..especially football cool
england wanted scotland so they could turn it into a great country..thats why...but now it will never be a great country

Sex Pistol
Why are we fighting the Scots. I love Scotland, Ireland and Wales, and im the most patriotic person ever (i come from England) I love were i come from, and i never say im proud to be English, i always say im proud to be British, C'mon we are the UNITED Kingdom, lets stand united against the gits who are killing us over in Iraq, you know the Americans.

Oh and by the way all you americans who said this thread is just Brits bitching about the Americans cos no Americans have showed up yet to defend themselves, well thats just typical. Bloody Americans always showing up late for every war!

*Danii*
sad Whats so crappy about Scotland? If were rubbish at sport, how come weve won Elephant Polo and Curling in the past huh?

And as for never being like England, lets face it, who wants to be like it
stick out tongue

Sex Pistol
For **** sake did no one read my last post!?

*Danii*
Yeah, I did and I agree but lets face it, its just nasty to say that Scotland is bad at sport roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jedi Priestess
14 pages of basically flaming..........how quaint.

weegie
Why are countries competing with each other?
Uk is not better than USA and USA is not better than UK.
Most people are saying that a country 'is like ....' but you can't say that, cus you are basing it on a stereotype of people in that country. Stereotypes are totally wrong, the stereotype of english people (seen by other countries) is totally stupid, i do not know one person who talks acts or thinks like that.
Actually i think its rude to say that one country or city or state or whatever 'are..........'. One person: ok, but a country/city/state thats just wrong! Its completely prejudice.

Loving_Daniel11
Why not just attach a poll to this thread? Is it some kind of Battle of the Countries? roll eyes (sarcastic)
Hell I choose UK

Deathblow
UK forever cool

It's so cool not having to get in a plane and fly off to the other side of the country just to see my cousins and stuff.

Rogue Jedi
well, we all know what the british think of us.

frodo34x
Ah. but Scots have improved chip shops. Take deep fried mars bars. Or the chip shop in dundee where they ask you if u want salt on them.

DracosGirl
ahhhhhhhh deep fried mars bars... heaven!

Frosty Beverage
huh?

frodo34x
Ever Heard of BollyWood?

frodo34x
I can tell you're not British. Just about any English person would say "England is Britain", and I have yet to meet a Scottish person who doesn't feel at least partly like England Controls Scotland.

frodo34x
History is written by the victor.

frodo34x
Bawbags... Thats patriotic Scottish speech for you.

shadow225588
Dont even get me started bout Churchill and WW2. U-S-A foaeva but you Brits are pretty cool some of you, that dont mouth of America cool wink

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>