Emo Sucks!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

you-know-who
b!tch about evrything about emo tht u effing hate!!... bands u hate (LIKE DASHBOARD!!!) and songs u hate..... all emo hehehhehe MUA HAHAHA!!!

Deathblow
I hate Dashboard, Brand New, Finch, Silverstein, Coheed & Cambria and Thursday with a fiery passion. However, there are quite a few good emo bands around.

Senses Fail
The End Of Julia
Early November
Armor For Sleep

To name a few smile

Samurai Guy
Good list.

I dont mind Brand New... some of their stuff.
Finch aren't that bad.

Coheed & Cambria can kill themselves.
A pox on Chris Carrabba. mad
Thursday... I used to like them... I have to admit that.

Silver Stardust
Some emo is good, some is shit. Don't base like/dislike on one group...

And I like Coheed & Cambria sad stick out tongue

Darth Revan
I can't stand Coheed and Cambria. The lead singer sounds like a 12 year old girl...

Samurai Guy
Kind of like the singer for Wheetus? stick out tongue

Cinemaddiction
There's no such thing as "good emo". They all need to ****ing grow up.

Period.

Deathblow
My thoughts exactly. You really have to watch them performing sometime, it's pricelesslaughing out loud

I saw them on TV, and he's quite a big guy, and he's got this big puffy hair and lip piercings and waves his guitar about like he's Pete Townshend, then he steps up to the mic and reveals to the world he was castrated at age 9. Good times.

Cinemaddiction
That guy is like an effeminate King Buzzo, hair and all.

loserib
EMO F U C K I N G HOLOCUST

Samurai Guy
I just love how Mainstream Emo has become. They are obsessed with the whole "individuality" thing.... it is stupid.

Like something because it is good.. not because everyone else loves it.

Alice_In_Chains
emo sucks...

indeed

pennyroyal
arrrrgggghhh i ****ing hate coheed and cambria

Deathblow
Really? You should try listening to the band in my sig.

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
I LOVE EMO! how can you hate it

AnonymousNerd
emo does indeed suck... the new nu metal...
These kids have to rebel to something, huh?

Ronny
i dislike many emo bands but i also like quite a few

Creechuur
Emo can suck my butt with whipped cream. Pretty depressed rich kids just piss me off.

tabby999
i enjoy Brand New and if you dont like Finch download Project Mayhem by them and tell me what you think of it, but as a whole i still refuse to buy into the whole "emotional hardcore" thing. well all hard core music is emotional. and hardcore is a used (but not over) genre already. think of something else to call it. maybe "shit-core" to keep up with the amazing ammount of new "core" genres being made

MornGlory
I think emo is here to stay for awhile...

tabby999
but we'll not have to hear about it when all the little trendys find another music style to cling to

Df02
but hes actually quite a decent guitarist, the band make music alot more impressive than pretty much every other band of their ilk and also manage to work their lyrics into 1 massive story. crappy vocals or not (i happen to think theyre ok) they deserve alot more respect than other emo bands

they dont moan cry or write poems either...bonus thumb up

Deathblow
It's only the really mainstream 'emo' bands who those ****ers are following. Crap like Jimmy Eat World, Coheed, Taking Back Sunday etc. They will die a horrible death because they will go out of fashion. Real music fans like myself will still listen to the decent emo bands because we don't like them because they're 'trendy', we like them because they're good. I can't believe so many people have got such a problem with emo, I mean its not like it's getting shoved in your faces like hip-pop and Avril Lavigne. I'd be willing to bet hard cash that if half the emo bands of today dropped their singer but kept exactly the same kind of musical style, you guys would like many of them.

Df02
id hardly actually call Coheed mainstream crap...theyve released 2 video's as far as im aware, and only 1 of them was widely successful (a Favour House Atlantic) which i have to admit is a very annoying poppy song

theyre successful (the the emo sense), but id hardly call them mainstream in the derogaratory way i think ur trying to put it across as

EDIT: yes i will defend Co&Ca every step of the way stick out tongue

tabby999
dont want to sound like i dont know what i'm talking about (of course i dont know, i'm good at hiding it wink) but wer'nt Jimmy Eat World arond well before people started using Emo as a term and had the trendys jump on their bandwagon?

Deathblow
Yeah, but not a very long time. Besides, they've been crap all their lives.

I know plenty of Coheed fans, and they are exactly the kind of trend whore fools that are making emo such a joke. It's cool that you're defending them, and I'm sorry I keep using them as bad examples, I just dislike them with a violent passion wink

Df02
a band shouldnt be held responsible for its fans heh stick out tongue
if people want to follow a band because of fashion that should be their problem, not the bands... the fact is that Co&Ca are hugely more talented than the majority of emo-trend bands... unfortunately theyve been sucked in tho sad

tabby999
hmmm, i quite liked bleed america, but i havn't listened to them since then, from the sound of things its been a bit of a downward spiral

Deathblow
Maybe to you, but I just can't see that. They really don't sound in the slightest bit special to me, especially when you compare them to bands like The End Of Julia (who are IMO the most talented emo band around).

And that voice..it must annoy you just a little sometimes surely stick out tongue

Df02
musically theyre on the higher end of the talent spectrum as far as the genre goes... and yea the voice can grate on some of the songs, but i like it..what can i say smile

ElectricBugaloo
www.fourfa.com

the sites down right now...but it'll give you the scoop on what's really emo.

oh disaster
Do you even have a valid reason WHY they suck?

<<Solo>>
You guys can't jugde the genre emo just by what you hear nowadays. I mean there's some great bands that were emo, like Joy Division.

SlipknoT
Is Hawthorne Heights considered Emo?

tabby999
but emo is only a recent title, Joy Division were around before the "genre" even exsisted

oh disaster
How do they need to grow up? Wouldn't that apply to every band/singer in the world? Emo leads to other genre's aswell, so your not just telling emo in general to grow up.

Red Superfly
Don't like emo. Kinda bugs me. I can tolerate it in SMALL doses.

When I say tolerate, I really mean I'd rather shave my skin off with a blunt razor and jump into a pool of vinegar, with floaters in it.

tabby999
i think he is refering to that most of them whinge about crap in their music

MornGlory
http://garotashc.blig.ig.com.br/imagens/benji_joel_05.jpg

Df02
what have GC got to do with emo?

Cinemaddiction
Joy Division, like Bauhaus, New Order, and even Christian Death, were the fore fathers of the new wave of goth music. They set the bar, and all these imitators still fall short.

Red Superfly
May I ask why?

"I hate my mum
so I whinge all day in a high pitched voice
because I hate myself and
I hate this guitar that my mum
gave me for my birthday
it doesn't have custom pickups
and my mum sent me to a doctor
when I wet the bed

I hate my mum
I hate my mum
She didn't buy me a Jag"

Why do they sing about this stuff.

Deathblow
confused and what song is that?

Konjammenson
I have never listened to this "emo." After reading the posts here I would have to say that I don't really want to. What exactly is it? Is it just people whining like you all say. Does the world EMO supposted to be short for the word emotional? At any rate emo sounds gay and I don't ever want to here it. Trash......it must be trash

ElectricBugaloo
Emo is a cop out that most ignorant people put on shit music like Dashboard Confessional and other bands that aren't truly emo.

Those of you who are saying that it stands for 'emotional' are totally off base.

It stands for a type of music that is known as 'emotive hardcore' and like someone said, Joy Division, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbreaker, Rites of Spring, Embrace, etc. So learn to know what you are talking about before spouting off nonsense, people.

Df02
ive said the roots of emo multiple times... just some ppl cant be taught
Emo take soo much stick, when infact...remove the vocals and i garuantee most ppl on here would love the music, its just 'cool' to hate emo atm... fair enough, i can deal with that... not a huge emo fan, but its still pretty pathetic

Deathblow
Exactly, thats what I said a couple of pages back.

Cinemaddiction
Well, the same can be said for pretty much any "different" genre. There are tons of "death" metal bands out there that have some incredible guitar and drum work, but when you enlist Cookie Monster for your lead vocalist, it kind of ruins it for everything else. Then, of course, when everyones vox sound the same, you're going to get labeled as "one of those bands", because so many people don't want to bother distinguishing them from one another. It is hard to get around whiny vocals, however.

Fearnix
EMO is just plain shit

ElectricBugaloo
Do you have any reasons? And if so, are they going to be the same misguided stereotypes that everyone else uses?

Cinemaddiction
Not everyone is misguided. I hate the monotony, the image, the irony, the contradictions, and the sheepish people who by into someone elses "pain", under the impression that they can "relate".

Deathblow
You know, not all emo bands fit the description everyone seems to love planting on them.

Also, lyrics are a massive part of my enjoyment of music, and if I can relate to something (which I rarely can) it makes it all the more special to me. There's a song by Senses Fail called 'Stephen', which is about a close friend who died unexpectedly, at a very young age. Maybe to most people, it sounds whiney and dumb, but I can completely empathise with the song's frustration and remorse, because I've experienced similar things. Not because I love the idea of feeling the 'pain', but because I have felt it.

I may be into emo, but I'm not the kind of mixed up trendy teenager who you're describing. I like it because I like it, not because anyone told me to like it, not because it's 'cool', not because I'm a depressed person, I just like it.

ElectricBugaloo
So you'd prefer if people only listened to music they couldn't 'relate' to? And what image?

Fearnix
the band members try to hard to be alternative.
the music is shit.
and the lyrics are unoriginal.

ElectricBugaloo
OK, same stereotypes, thank you for playing, please try again.

fuct_up_kid
yes

i like taking back sunday, brand new, etc...some of the songs i like for the lyrics, most of them just for the music. i get a lot of stick but i could really care less

Fearnix
O.k why?

BackFire
Emo bands are a bunch of whiny little brats with the same high pitched obnoxious voice who sing about their daddy's grounding them or a girlfriend who kissed another guy during high school. They're annoying trying to play off of their fake depression and angst when they're usually like 35 years old.

Cinemaddiction
http://users2.ev1.net/~dlimon/firecracker/firecracker10/images/cohete_emo1.jpg

Hell has indeed frozen over, guidelines to dressing Emo have surfaced.

"SHEEP! You are all sheep. Baah!" - Sarah Rue (Can't Hardly Wait)

Mane
That's not how emo girls dress. roll eyes (sarcastic) I go to emo shows all the time, and I've never seen a girl who looks like that.

Deathblow
Wow aren't you clever. Look, a quotation and everything.

I have been to Glassjaw, Early November and Underoath shows, and during all three I maybe saw 1 or 2 people dressed like that. Liking emo does not automatically make you a trendy 'emo-kid', I wish people would just try to understand that, it's really not difficult.

***S***
Dressing a certain way doesn't mean anything. All the emo 'cattle' at my school did fit into that stereotype, and that is fine. If you want to look rediculous, that is your choice and all the more power to you. The only certainty is that generalizing will only lead to more argument.

Emo isn't bad... not a preference of mine because there is only so much I can take of 'I am an emotional train-wreck.' Which is weird because one of my favourite albums is MellonCollie and the Infinite Sadness.

Everything that is music should be emotional in the first place. Be it happy, sad, or whatever. That is what makes music music, and everything else boy bands or Britney Spears.

SlipknoT
My school is full of them

Df02
may aswell give up, ppl will always be closed minded twats... there are stereotypes for every genre, just its cool to be anti-emo

tabby999
every time i ask someone do define the damn genre i get something completly different, then when i try to define it, i get told to stop applying stereotypes, so, Df02 and Deathblow, lets give it a go, make a actual statement of that "emo" atands for.

Df02
its been explained loads of times like you said, i dont particularly wanna explain it all again, ill let Deathblow do it if he wants cos i dont.
its got a stigma because of a portion of the fans who want to follow a 'scene' but by no means does every emo fan follow the scene! its like not every person who likes death metal wears studded leather and has long greasy hair... its just an image, its not ALWAYS going to be correct

tabby999
i'm not talking about the image associated though, i'm talking about... hang on, look if someone said, explain "metal" to me, i'd say "music that has fast loud guitar with fast driving drums & loud shouting/screamed vocals"

Deathblow
Ah but thats the beauty of it, it can't really be defined. No emo bands (or at least none that I'm aware of) are completely original, like I've said before, they base themselves on one of many styles, then add their own touches, which is why stereotyping emo is stupid. There's so much variation.

So, if I had to make a statement, personally, I would say emo is a genre that lifts elements of other alternative rock genres (usually punk, hardcore or indie) and combines it with the modern vocal/lyrical style that has become associated with emo, and in many cases, unexpected time changes and weird/unique chord progressions.

It's a very difficult thing to nail, I've never heard two people give it the same description.

***S***
There are different variations of every genre. There will never really be a "denifinition" that encompasses everything that falls into a spacific genre.

tabby999
so it seems the only thing that is clearly defined in the genre is the stereotypical looks of the fan...

Df02
no, because as has been said millions of time...not all the fans look like that, its a small 'scene' sorta thing.

fuct_up_kid
yes

Red Superfly
Truth be told, you guys complaining about your school being overrun by emo-kids are lucky.

When I was at school, and now when my brothers are at school, there were very, very few who were into any sort of rock/emo music at all.

Everyone at my school was hip-hop trash/gangster wannabes. Thats ten times worse than emo-kids.

Cinemaddiction
You certainly had better not be referring to me in particular. I'm about as open-minded as they get, firstly. Secondly, I used that image as a parody.

I'm well aware that there are people out there that are free-thinkers and know that they don't have to portray their individualiality in their dress. But, for every one of them, there are 2 others to counter their positivity. You can babble about what's "representitive" of "emo", as well. There are no such things as stereotypes, when instances are rooted in truth, and are usually representitive of a culture. The "minority" who don't buy into it, not withstanding.

I've never cared for trends, personally, in addition to finding the "emo culture" full of walking contradictions, I find the "genre" to be as petty and disposable as "mall metal" or the old school NKOTB and Tiffany fanatics.

I couldn't care less if hating emo music was a trend or not. I'd dislike it regardless. I'm for the most part an elitist when it comes to music, and emo isn't something that appeals to me for various reasons, mainly because of the same reasons I dislike "goth" bands. The irony in the suffering these people enjoy being outcasts, all while doing nothing to make their situations any better.

If it appeals to you, fantastic. Don't make assinine blanketed statements for me as to why I dislike something. You aren't me, and you should thank God for that, because if you were, the music world would eventually consist of a handful of bands.

You don't need any other definition for emo other than another trend. Just like grunge. Just like boy bands. These kids will eventually grow up, learn what real "emo" is when they have to pay bills, feed their children and whatever other responsibilities come along with being an ADULT. Not petty bullshit these trend-preachers gab about for kids to relate to.

I'll be glad when this is all over.

Df02
i wasnt refferring to u in particular actually... i was referring to the blatent blind 'trend-haters' (as in hating because of a trend, not hating trends). i couldnt care less if you hate emo tbh, just annoys me that its somehow become a fashionable thing to do.

Cinemaddiction
The people that do that, for the sake of being sheerly anti-trendy, are themselves following an equally dispicable trend. Too bad they don't realize it.

No offense intended by what I said earlier to anyone, by the way. I've got pretty strong convictions. stick out tongue

Df02
yup, thats why goths piss me off...
i never claim myself to be a complete individual. i take fashion and music influences from other people the same as every1 else (and thats true in every case tbh... no escaping that.) but i never dress to suit my music taste, never dress to impress ne1 other than myself.

and any1 who goes around wearing black clothes and black makeup claiming to be an individual is kidding no1 but themselves and other morons

tabby999
agreed. whatever music style "band shirt and jeans/shorts" is the fashion for i guess i'm a member of

Df02
actually thinkin about it, i do have alot of emo-esque clothes... but its not really on purpose. i wear sports trackietops (Fred Perry). or striped jumpers (tight), or tight t-shirts (im skinny, tight stuff just suits me better)... then wear tight jeans with a spiked belt and a random belt buckle.
but at the same time i wear caps alot, have a nickelson parka jacket, wear adidas trainers and have no tattoo's or piercings

im like a mix between emo and indie, but my main musical interests are digital/electronic, indie and then screamo...emo dont even fit on my agenda, closest is screamo stick out tongue so hardly like im part of a scene

Cinemaddiction
I love looking totally unassuming. Everyone that sees my pic here says I was the total opposite of what they expected. The same goes for my incredibly varied music tastes.

If I had to dress to suit said tastes, gimme some wire framed glasses, a Meshuggah shirt, pleated, crisply ironed khakis, a spiked bracelet, a tuxedo jacket, a pair of sandals, and a glowstick.

Df02
yea, if i dressed to suit my primary music taste id have pink/blue/black dreadlock hair extensions, some sort of mesh tshirt and leather trousers with big black boots

thank god i dont

tabby999
i'd be wearing more piercings, tattos, more jeans and black shirts and a moe hawk (again)

oh disaster
Wow, you have so much to back your opinion up don't you?
And here I was thinking your IQ just might top 30, I was wrong.

emo182
people need to grow up your calling people who have had traumatized and sad retarded im emo and i can say im emo because i understand music most poeple seem to just listen to the music o yeah this sounds good i listen to the lyrics and they interact with me i understand them when you have had a trauma in your life contact me and then tell me your not emo because i can gaurantee until you have had a major life changing moment you will remain just as childish as now and you wont understand why emo is ewhat it is.

by the way my major trauma is i saw my father kill himself with a knife try telling me everything is gonna be ok try telling me what to feel.

ElectricBugaloo
Unfortunately I don't think you know what emo is...

lil bitchiness
Few things -

- In order for someone to turn around and honestly say that a whole genre of music is SHIT, he or she needs to be extremely familiar with the genre - which all of you who preached that EMO is shit, obviously know 2 bands of which you have heard 1 song each.

- Posting an image of what an emo kids looks like, is about as clever as saying a whole genre of music sucks, based on the 6 bands of the said genre.

- Simply saying ''EMO sucks'' is not an opinion. In order for it to even begin to call itself an opinion, it has to have some kind of structure or justification.
The fact that many people have 0 justification for saying a WHOLE GENRE of music sucks is a different story.

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
Emo Sucks!

- No Emo Rocks!

startxthexmosh
umm buddy holly wore those glasses.lol.but yea...i like emo.but then again i listen to almost every kind of music.

Afro Cheese
Why is it so trendy to hate Emo?

Df02
i dunno, why is nething trendy?
trends don't necessarily need a reason, just what people choose to do.

tabby999
how bout seeing your ****ing house burn down while your sister was inside then see her run out with her flesh melting off. how bout being told your hips are completly ****ed and you cant play sport or do most of the activities you love and that when your 30 your going to have to get major surgery to replace them? i've had both happen, dosn't make me connect with shitty emo lyrics. no ones telling you how to feel jackass, you took that all apon yourself. i think i qualify as having major trauma, dosn't make me "Emo." Your a nob and ElectricBugaloo is right, you dont know what Emo is at all if you use that as a guage for "whats emo"

ElectricBugaloo
Buddy Holly / Rivers Cuomo glasses have never had anything to do with emo.

tabby999
they are just associated with the genre now

startxthexmosh
no that dude in the pic had those glasses on at it said "am i emo" and it said something about wearing glasses.and i said buddy holly wore those kind of glasses.

tabby999
yeah we know. but the lenses have been narrowed down instead of being as boxy as hollys

SlipknoT
Originally posted by ~AlluNeedIsLuv~
Emo Sucks!

- No Emo Rocks! You listen to Pop, Not emo. And again, Emo Blows.

Ken Kenobi
Nice bump there Slip.

But yes, Emo sucks balls, left ones especially.

Df02
oh dear god, not this shit again...

Emma718
could someone please explain to me exactly what "emo" is? i heard about emo hair and all, but that's really it

Deathblow
It's shitty whiney ball-sucking crap that only like, total posers listen to!!!

There, save someone else from doing it. If you want to know what it really is, go check out Armor For Sleep, and if you can find anything by them, The End Of Julia. Two great emo bands.

Darth Revan
Here's an excellent article that was either written by or copied/pasted by some member here (ElectricBugaloo?). It's a bit long, but worth the read, and thanks to whoever took the time to write this...

Hardcore has its roots obviously in the punk movement of the 1970's, it has been argued that hardcore was a sort of "electric folk" music- but I suppose that applies more directly to punk which was much more strictly political initially- in any event, as has been said before, hardcore happened after punk had gotten faster and louder, and bands discovered they didn't even need to sound "punk" anymore, and started utilizing different song structures and different chord progressions and styles.

Hardcore died in the early 80's because of the Emo movement in part, but also directly from the act of Ian Mackaye disbanding Minor Threat(mistakenly labelled a "straight edge" band for the song of the same name) and forming the band "Embrace". From then on- bands within the hardcore genre that were newly forming were often called "post-hardcore", referring to a new wave of hardcore bands after the initial death of it- just as you hear many new wave style bands being referred to as a "post-punk", and even fugazi is called this sometimes.

So now we have a general understanding of 80's post hardcore- this term carried forward into the 90's with bands like Quicksand, fronted by Walter Schreifels, who had been the lead singer of a number of influential cornerstone bands of the hardcore movement- especially Gorilla Biscuits and Youth Of Today(he also had a hand in CIV). When quicksand released their ep and subsequent first record in the early 90's-(the ep actually came before the album Nevermind, and is often regarded as being more influential to modern rock, though not nearly as recognized by average listeners)- their style was referred to as post hardcore, which was also a way to describe the massive "jump ship" mentality of old hardcore legends who had become turned off by the whole boots, crew cut and hoodies youth crew nazi mentality that was springing up. 80's Emo was the polar opposite of this- a direct slap in the face to the rise of ultra masculine Straight-edge and Youth Crew style hardcore bands.

About Emo

By now, anyone who doesn't know about Rites Of Spring and Embrace and doesn't understand that they signified the death of traditional hardcore has been living under a rock- or only reading Spin and Rolling Stone's bogus and misinformed interpretations of the term "Emo".

Rites Of Spring was started by Guy Picciotto, Embrace by Ian Mackaye- and these two later became the founding members of Fugazi. These bands did not refer to themselves as emo, nor were they responsible for the term. Legend has it that someone yelled that out at a Rites Of Spring show to the general laughter of the audience, and that it was used as a term of derision against the wimpiness of emo compared against hardcore.

For so called "Emo bands", the hardcore movement had turned into a letdown, and they were tired of the ultra macho swaggering and posturing of traditional nyc hardcore bands- where the hardcore "uniform" often consisted of shorts, hoodies, doc martin boots and crew cuts- the emo "uniform" was quite similar to the style of dress Weezer adopted(which is part of what led to the initial confusion over whether or not Weezer had any connection to emo music) in other words: black square framed glasses, dark scraggly hair, sweaters, t-shirts a few sizes too small, tight fit jeans or slacks- ties, black dress shoes, scarves, etc. etc. This look has carried over into today, although now it has become a hipster badge of honor, and you'll see homogenized versions of this outfit all over every profile on makeoutclub.com, not to mention the impact it had on punk music- which is a different story altogether.

In any case- emo music died when the initial wave of emo bands broke up, and started poppier minded bands with cheesy appropriations of Iron Maiden riffs(that's a joke)- these bands were all about kitsch, with a strong sense of unrequited love in their lyrics(something that original emo DID NOT STRICTLY ADHERE TO), which further explains confusion over Weezer's involvement or lack thereof in the movement- but this movement preceded Weezer by a good 5 years.

When the 90's rolled around- a third wave of bands were picking up influence from emo, from hardcore, from post-hardcore and from general indie rock and starting their own bands- the first, greatest and most influential of these would be Sunny Day Real Estate, who then came to be known as the "founders" of 1990's emo, though the actual genre they belong too and invented(and which contains bands like Mineral and The Appleseed Cast) would be Post-emocore indie. In other words, they are an indie rock band influenced by emocore music, but have come along after emocore had already died. At the same time- east coast bands were stealing some of the screaming hardcore ideas of earlier groups like Indian Summer and Mohinder, and referring to themselves as "screamo"- this would be bands like Saetia.

In the present day, there are literally no bands with any actual connection to the original emo movement- you can obviously trace fugazi's roots, and a few other random acts here and there- but the majority of scene "legends" are guys who came into the movement after emo had already died- these were second and third-wavers who are now fronting third and fourth-wave bands, ie: Jets To Brazil, The Promise Ring.

As far as the heritage of Sunny Day Real Estate- it was appropriated by groups like Mineral(who later became The Gloria Record), Further Seems Forever(from which comes Chris Carraba), The Appleseed Cast, Pedro The Lion, and to some extent even Modest Mouse. However, in the case of all of these bands- the influence they take from SDRE largely comes from the first two records, Diary(initially released in '93) and the self-titled "pink album"(released in '95, posthumously). When SDRE reformed to make arguably their strongest record "How It Feels To Be Something On" this is arguably the beginning of a new trend in indie rock- which is appropriation Prog rock styles. This was fully realized on SDRE's final album "The Rising Tide"- and later came to further fruition in bands like The Mars Volta, Coheed And Cambria, and even the latest reincarnation of SDRE: The Fire Theft.

As for screamo- Saetia broke up in '99, by which time the hardcore movement had essentially reignited itself- but it had combined with metal in many cases, as the members of a lot of these bands came of age in the "Age of metal": the 1980's and early 90's. Bands like Converge, Norma Jean, Shai Hulud, SkyCameFalling, Blood Brothers all have appropriated metal influence, to the point where they could hardly be called traditional "hardcore", and in fact, hardcore purists will often lump all these bands together along with poppy, completely non-hardcore acts as "emo", where a band like Hatebreed would gladly be considered purely hardcore. As for the current wave of "Screamo" bands- it's a generic term for a generic style of music. Thursday stole their sound from a variety of now defunct new jersey post-hardcore acts, and Taking Back Sunday would be considered derivative of a derivative.

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
Emo is awesome! love it

Afro Cheese
I've tried to find some emo bands I like but haven't been able to get into it. It always turns up being either annoying or boring.

Darth Revan
Try Glassjaw--they're both my favorite emo band and the first I listened to.

Afro Cheese
Oh they're emo? I already have their CD. I like some of their songs. That's another thing, I'm lost when it comes to who fits in what subgenre and so on.

Darth Revan
They're pretty much emo/screamo... But I've heard other definitions for their music used and I'm not too great at genres myself erm

loserib
glassjaw is cool but emo blows assgoats all around

Emma718
ooo..thanks for the info

Df02
Originally posted by Deathblow
It's shitty whiney ball-sucking crap that only like, total posers listen to!!!

There, save someone else from doing it. If you want to know what it really is, go check out Armor For Sleep, and if you can find anything by them, The End Of Julia. Two great emo bands.

and Mae, possibly the greatest thing the emo genre has ever produced...and i had the priviledge of seeing them live yesterday, with Coheed and Cambria (yea, im trying to get a reaction from you DB wink haha...but seriously Co&Ca were awesome, 2min solo behind his head haha!)

Alpha Centauri
People lumped Glassjaw and At The Drive-In into the Emo genre.

If those two bands are Emo (which I don't really think they are anyway) then Emo as a genre has had a bigger decline than Hip Hop.

-AC

Df02
theyre post-hardcore... the emo that came before modern emo if you will haha

Alpha Centauri
After reading the thread, I can agree with many things. I think the main thing that stands out however, is people listing off all these original Emo bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbreaker etc.

Jawbreaker vanished into thin air and most other bands are obscure really. Emo is widely known as (wrongly or not) bands like Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, Hawthorne Heights, Alexisonfire, Saves the Day, The Early November, Story of the Year etc etc.

Whether that's traditional Emo or not, that's what people know it as. So when people bite at Emo and list those bands as Emo, it's no good biting them for not knowing what Emo is because most people don't know. I've never been a fan of any kind of Emo to be honest. It's either mediocre or shit, in my opinion. I've never heard any Emo band (and don't assume I've not heard a certain band) that strikes me as anything different than the last Emo band I heard. I hear slight differences in A FEW bands but it still doesn't do anything for me on any level. I've never heard anything that makes me think "Wow that guitar/drum/bass/vocal part was really good" technically, or just basically.

That and the fact that alot of them sound like a borderline pubescent kid having sex with a vacuum cleaner, when they perform live.

-AC

Df02
won't bother arguing my points because it's like flogging a dead horse with a cat now.

what i will say however is that modern emo and older more recognised emo are fundamentally different, but because of the way the music was developed they share a name.

it's like modern metal bands aren't like Iron Maiden etc, but they share the name with them...

Alpha Centauri
Yeah I agree.

Just saying, you've gotta recognise that impressionable people will just go with what they know. There's probably no reason for them to even thing older Emo even exists. It's sad but true.

-AC

Df02
yea i know what you mean.
personally i enjoy the genre, regardless of the stereotypes and scenes... i enjoy it because of me, not because of the opinions of others or the styles associated with it.

sadly some people can't accept that either

Radio and musicvideo has bastardized the genre, it's got to the point where you're sifting through coal to find a diamond, but for me it just makes the jewel that much better

Deathblow
Originally posted by Df02
and Mae, possibly the greatest thing the emo genre has ever produced...and i had the priviledge of seeing them live yesterday, with Coheed and Cambria (yea, im trying to get a reaction from you DB wink haha...but seriously Co&Ca were awesome, 2min solo behind his head haha!)

Dude...castrated singer, not good no

And Glassjaw have a lot of emo elements, and Daryl's vocal stylings are pretty damn emo-ish, so I can see why people would call them emo. I guess they're more like hardcore, but they're not hardcore either. They're like a slightly jazzy, pyschadelic post-hardcore whatsit. Or something.

Alpha Centauri
Or, just a really good band.

I realise there are genres and that people, when discussing music, have to reference genres, but most of the time the only two genres I go by are shit and good.

Shit ranges from lame to downright horrible. Good ranges from the better end of mediocre to excellent and above eg: Tool, Opeth and stuff done by Mike Patton.

Because really, I'm not gonna like or not like an artist because of their genre. I'm a music fan. If there was a singer in the Pop world who made great music with integrity, honesty and talent, I'd probably like it. I'm not a genre whore, I just love music. Those are my requirements though. Talent, honesty, integrity. People say that's an elitist musical view, so be it. I don't like shit, that's just the way I see it. I know people might view certain bands I like as shit, despite them not being so, but that's where it lies. Eg: Tool aren't shit. Despite it being not scientifically proveable that they are better than most, they are and that's clear to see. Same with Opeth, same with Patton stuff. However I'd say I'm not the typical musical elitist because I'm not ABOVE listening to music that isn't anything amazing, just good.

I rambled a bit but the point I'm making is, when it comes down to it you only really need to know if it's good or shit. Genre isn't relevant really.

-AC

Df02
Dude...castrated singer, not good no

his voice is less high-pitched live... you'd probably like it, or you just don't like the band at all, in which case you wouldn't

Deathblow
Can't get past the voice. I don't like what I've heard, but that may just be the voice. If I don't like a singers voice, I can't like the band.

Df02
i honestly don't see the massive problem with his voice, i've heard much much worse vocals...

Deathblow
Well yeah it's not that he's a bad singer, he just sounds like a cartoon character. I can't take him seriously.

dark_elf90
Damn, it wont let me post my kill the emo things.

SlipknoT
I think I hate emo kids more than the horrible music.

RedAlertv2
Well yeah it's not that he's a bad singer, he just sounds like a cartoon character. I can't take him seriously.

I can see what you mean. I still laugh every time I hear his voice. But beyond that, they are a pretty good band,imo.

SlipknoT
If Hitler were alive today he should have had an Emo Holocaust.

grey fox
Define emo for me ... i heard it a few times but all it involves is the word shit and **** being repeatedly spoken

SlipknoT
Well my Definition is Pussies in Girl Pants Bitching about Parents and Their middle school girlfriends....But others would disagree

intoxicatedpoet
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Well my Definition is Pussies in Girl Pants Bitching about Parents and Their middle school girlfriends....But others would disagree

Actually, I prefer pussy to emo.

Hornyman
Is Hawthorne Heights considered Emo?

Not realy. But they are starting to.

Df02
barely even www.fourfa.com knows what emo is.

emo isn't a harcut, emo isn't a tight tshirt and tight jeans or a white belt or massive belt buckle.
just like metal isn't long hair, a black shirt, jeans and a leather trenchcoat.

emo isn't Hawthorne heights, Armor for sleep or Dashboard Confessional.

emo is an offshoot of DCHardcore, not even sunny day real estate are emo; theyre like alternative indie!
emo was a million different things even back then, with people defining them from Rites of Spring all the way to Saetia. So trying to define it now with all the watered down bastardized crap about is futile!

Alpha Centauri

What if someones definition of all metal is devil worshipping psychopaths who kill people and sacrifice virgins?

You're so unbelievably closed minded. I'm not a fan of emo for the simple reason there's never been more than one that I've liked. If there was one I liked, I wouldn't dislike it coz it was emo.

-AC

SlipknoT
I'm only closed Minded when it comes to Certain music.

Alpha Centauri
What would you think if you said Slayer were great and someone said that all metal is just noise and talking about Satan?

I suspect you'd think they were an idiot. If you know that you have a misconception of emo, why do you continually say that you automatically dismiss it because of a label it has been given, possibly wrongly?

-AC

grey fox
I can admit i am close minded like that as i personally hate rap/hip-hop and think all they sing about is ether

A. hoes/ hookers/intercourse/women

B.The hood/money/bling bling

People may hate what i just writ but it's my opinion , jut like slipknot's opinion is that emo's are pussies

Alpha Centauri
Well you're wrong about Hip Hop, because it's a fact that that's not all they sing about.

-AC

grey fox
I know but as i said it's my opinion , it may be flawed /wrong/not true but it's still my opinion

Alpha Centauri
Yeah but it's stupid to know you are factually wrong and still hold that opinion. Your opinion is that hip hop is all about cars, hoes and money, but it's wrong. It being your opinion doesn't give you some impenetrable shield.

It's like Hitler saying "Well yeah, I'm wrong and out of line but...I believe these jews should die so dammit, they will."

-AC

grey fox
ok so what is hip hop about then hmmmm?

BackFire
Most MAINSTREAM hip hop is about money/hoes/shootings and guns.

The underground/independent hiphop is supposedly a bit deeper then that, but I don't listen to underground hip hop so I wouldn't know, and I don't care enough to bother to find out on my own.

Alpha Centauri
Well if you just don't care enough to find any better emo that might be out there you shouldn't be generalising the whole genre on account of your laziness.

Grey: Hip Hop isn't neccessarily ABOUT any one thing. That doesn't stop you being wrong.

-AC

SlipknoT
Originally posted by grey fox
ok so what is hip hop about then hmmmm? Eveything really.

Lana
Just like every other genre of music, it's not all about one thing, it covers everything.

Personally I don't care for emo music, just beacuse there's only one band that's ever caught my interest. I wouldn't say I hate it or all the 'trendfollowers' though.

SlipknoT
I dont Hate the emo kids because they're trend followers, I just dont like them because of the way they act, just like Preps ect...

RedAlertv2
Do you seriously hate an entire genre of music just becuase of its bad fans?

SlipknoT
Not at all, I hate the music just as much as i hate the fans.

Alpha Centauri
You don't hate the music you've heard though do you? You hate anything even associated with the word "emo" despite the fact that it might not be the kind of music you hate, purely because you have a very wrong misconception.

Just like people who don't listen to hip hop because they think it's all superficial.

How can you sanely claim to hate fans of a music genre? You don't even know all of them. Metal has some pretty ****ing idiotic followers. Have you seen the amount of people who say they like to go to concerts to fight, metal concerts? Not all emo fans act the same way, just like I don't go to concerts to fight, I listen to metal.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and based on the evidence you've provided, you just hate something you simply do not understand for no justifiable reason and with such a closed-mind that it begs the question: If you know you're wrong, why continue to do it?

-AC

barbarossa
I dont Hate the emo kids because they're trend followers, I just dont like them because of the way they act, just like Preps ect...

thumb up

I personally hate Emo with a passion. It's essentially a bunch of 20-something guys whining about how their girlfriends dumped them and how their lives are soooo bad. Bah, crap. All of it.

Cinemaddiction
I wish people could learn to be more individualistic, listen to what they want, and not conform to some dress code.

Case in point, I drove into Pawn America this afternoon BLASTING Arch Enemy's "Wages of Sin", wearin' a Star Wars shirt, camo cargos and some Nikes. As I was checking out, I was talking to the clerk, whom I know, about the new Chimaira album. What was it that I purchased? "Taken" on DVD, a "Meatballs" DVD..Fiona ****ing Apple and..wait for it..Ben Folds Five CD's. I also saw "March of the Penguins" ysterday.

Add it up. A goddamn penguin movie, which I liked, Arch Enemy, Fiona Apple, Ben Folds Five, Star Wars? What's my label?

See where I'm going with this..? People aren't defined by their music or dress, and while it may be disconcerning to some, knowing that kids are trendwhores, it's just kids being kids. Trends come and go, and yeah, they segregate themselves, but instead of putting them down, just remember that we were all pretty much in the same boat at one point in time, because you can't tell me that you never dressed DOWN for a social event to be different..or your mother let you wear rags when you visited Grandma as a kid on Christmas. You wanted to look nice, like everyone else. Why? Because you probably felt more comfortable.

Kids just want to fit in, and don't realize the value and importance of individualism. If they're comfortable where they are..great..if not..they'll eventually find themselves.

Just live your own life, man.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You don't hate the music you've heard though do you? You hate anything even associated with the word "emo" despite the fact that it might not be the kind of music you hate, purely because you have a very wrong misconception.

Just like people who don't listen to hip hop because they think it's all superficial.

How can you sanely claim to hate fans of a music genre? You don't even know all of them. Metal has some pretty ****ing idiotic followers. Have you seen the amount of people who say they like to go to concerts to fight, metal concerts? Not all emo fans act the same way, just like I don't go to concerts to fight, I listen to metal.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and based on the evidence you've provided, you just hate something you simply do not understand for no justifiable reason and with such a closed-mind that it begs the question: If you know you're wrong, why continue to do it?

-AC Oh no, I loath the Emo that I have heard. But I'm just going By what I've heard and seen. I used to Feel The same way about Rap and Hip Hop, I thought it was all Gangstas Talking about Cars and Hoes...But then I started listening to other stuff that wasnt on MTV...But i dunno, I' closed minded when it comes to Emo. Once I've established that I hate something its hard for me to Go back.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I wish people could learn to be more individualistic, listen to what they want, and not conform to some dress code.

Case in point, I drove into Pawn America this afternoon BLASTING Arch Enemy's "Wages of Sin", wearin' a Star Wars shirt, camo cargos and some Nikes. As I was checking out, I was talking to the clerk, whom I know, about the new Chimaira album. What was it that I purchased? "Taken" on DVD, a "Meatballs" DVD..Fiona ****ing Apple and..wait for it..Ben Folds Five CD's. I also saw "March of the Penguins" ysterday.

Add it up. A goddamn penguin movie, which I liked, Arch Enemy, Fiona Apple, Ben Folds Five, Star Wars? What's my label?

See where I'm going with this..? People aren't defined by their music or dress, and while it may be disconcerning to some, knowing that kids are trendwhores, it's just kids being kids. Trends come and go, and yeah, they segregate themselves, but instead of putting them down, just remember that we were all pretty much in the same boat at one point in time, because you can't tell me that you never dressed DOWN for a social event to be different..or your mother let you wear rags when you visited Grandma as a kid on Christmas. You wanted to look nice, like everyone else. Why? Because you probably felt more comfortable.

Kids just want to fit in, and don't realize the value and importance of individualism. If they're comfortable where they are..great..if not..they'll eventually find themselves.

Just live your own life, man. I know what you mean, I get the weirdest looks when I tell people I listen to NWA or the Grateful Dead and I'm wearing a Slayer shirt and a Trench Coat with Long black Hair.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>