Who do you think is the best American football player ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wizardkid233
Tell who you think the best football player ever is.

I think that John Elway is the QB ever. but however he dose have alot of contenders.

MornGlory
football?? as in GOO Patriots!!!

or Football as in Manchester United, or David Beckham

droolio

Wizardkid233
Yea Patriots are the best team

Scarpa
Either Bret Farve or Emit Smith

forumcrew
yea we need a position.. and if your talkin QB i love bret farve and hes maybe top 5 but not the best..

hello montana, unitas? they rule farve and Elway.. by the end of mannings carear he could prove to be at the top of the list

baracustastic
Diego Maradona undoubtedly had the most natural talent, but Pele had more upstairs to go with his talent, and so is the best footballer ever.

The best soccer player? I dunno, only started watching it a coupla years ago. From what I've seen I reckon Brett Favre.

G.P
This thread is not about soccer smile

Greatest Soccer player of all time

Yes I know this is kinda confusing.

ElectricBugaloo
That's why we can refer to it as NFL or American Football.

QB--Joe Montana. He had three Super Bowl MVPs, and in the one where he wasn't MVP, he led his team 90 yards to the winning score. Though you may say he is just a system quarterback, no one was more successful than him.

RB--Jim Brown. As much as I love Barry Sanders, Jim Brown was just the best. He left early with all the records--the amazing numbers he put up were in 12 and 14 game seasons.

WR--Don Maynard. It is extremely close between him and Jerry Rice's. Don Maynard's stats were even higher than his contemporaries than Rice's are today. Just look at his stats compared to his fellow Hall of Famers, it is staggering, especially in an era where the rules weren't as tilted towards offense as they are today.

baracustastic
The original title of the thread was.........

Who do you think is the best football player ever?

Now some buttmonkey changed the thread title, leading said buttmonkey to make a post ripping into my good self.

Might I suggest that if you want to talk about AMERICAN football, you call it AMERICAN football in the title of the thread.

G.P
Now the so-called buttmonkey says that he's not criticizing or mocking you. He admitted that the title was confusing and changed it thatnks to you, because you did show it was confusing.
He adds you shouldn't feel as if you were attacked or bashed. He didn't use any sarcasm. And he thinks there is actually no problem here.

If you think there is, don't hesitate to PM him.

alic88
payton manning, andre johnson,brett favre.. and david carr will get good someday

R0B
Payton Manning is tied for the record of most touchdown passes in a single game so I say him along with Brett Farve, and some of the retired QBs

botankus
First of all, anyone coming into a thread about football and seeing the names of Brett Favre and John Elway, and STILL thinks this is about soccer has more imporant personal issues than soccer to deal with.

Now to the question, I think for their times Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas were legends. I was born in 1975, so when I was growing up Joe Montana, Roger Craig, Dan Marino, and Marcus Allen were tearing it up.

I think Joe Montana was one of the greatest, not because he put up great statistics with great talent around him, but because he was so cool, so collected when the games mattered. Albeit playoffs or Super Bowl, when the guy dropped back to pass everyone knew it had a kickass chance of doing some damage.

Nowadays, I look at Peyton Manning and what he is doing is remarkable, but I'd (along with the media, I guess) like to see if he can perform at that level until late into the night on February the 6th. I'm not a Colts fan by any means, but I wouldn't put him as one of the greatest until that happens, whenever it may be.

Linkalicious
Ray Lewis.

I've never seen one man take over an entire defense the way he did the year he got the MVP. He was in on almost every tackle, he broke up passes and is a great leader for his team.

Offense gets the glory, but defense wins championships.

botankus
Ray Lewis has lost a step, but the MVP year was something else.
For instance, he's already been taken out and flattened on his backside by Steelers FB Dan Kreider on a few one-on-one battles this year. But Lewis is still a great player.

Linkalicious
I never ever saw the fullback from the steelers flatback Ray Lewis one-on-one. That would have been pointed out on Sportscenter and on NFL Tonight.

All Ray needs to do is go kill someone and his performance will pick back up.

botankus
If you were a Steelers fan you would have seen it from the replay from re-watching the game in week 2 that you taped on the VCR! big grin

It may have been on Sportscenter, but I don't think it qualified as Sporting newsflash of the year or anything like that.

Linkalicious
nah, i just figured that a talk show like NFL Live or one of the shows on ESPN would have done coverage with spot shadows and stuff.

So what makes you a Steelers fan?

botankus
I was born 1975, sandwiched between Super Bowl IX and X wins. Then they won XIII and XIV when I was three or four. I visit there about once a year and go to a game. Just went to the 16-7 win over Redskins.
I'm a pretty realistic Steelers fan. If we're losing I'll admit it but if we're winning I can't stop talking about the wins.

ragesRemorse
This is a hard question to answer. Alot has changed in football over the years. Twenty years ago, you oculd do pretty much what you wanted to, to the wide recievers, as long as you werent blatant with it. Today, you cant even sneeze on a wide reciever. Rules, condtioning, and speed of the game has changed alot over the years.

as for quarter back i owuld have to say either Ben roethlisberger LOL just kidding. seriously joe montana is probably the best at what he did.

Wide reciever, Jerry rice

running back...I would have to say barry Sanders, his numbers may not be the best, but he did play with a terrible losing team for how many years, and he also gave it up early on in his career.

badsymbiote
Too tough a question. But nobody mentioned Ditka, nobody mentioned Charles Woodson, nobody mentioned Warren Sapp, nobody mentioned Bart Starr, nobody mentioned Thurman Thomas or Emmitt Smith, Charles Haley, Leon Lett, Dave Krieg, Steve Largent, Joe Namath, or even Deion Sanders or Jim Zorn--

Those guys are all at least worth mentioning, I think--but there are more, of course. Football's tough--I've been watching since the 70's--spanning 4 decades (God, I'm old)--and there are too many memorable games, too many great drives, too many great bowl games to say that there is one man out there (past or present) who stands head and shoulders above the rest.

wuTa
either waltor payton or barry sanders....unfortunatly i have to give the edge to payton because he won a superbowl and his career was longer

xeous
It's so tough to say...

Individual talent, making his team sooooo much better would HAVE to be, HAVE to be Marino. He had NO BODY on his teams...Marino MADE the Dolphins...

If you say rings and such, ehh....Montana maybe. But, he had a GREAT supporting cast. Hell, when "the best qb ever" went to KC, they STILL won the Superbowl, that's a great team. Young was also a great quarterback...But, no where near the best.

Wide Receivers...No one mentions Lynn Swan? He made Bradshaw. Maybe the most underrated Wide Receiver ever. Heck, maybe the most underrated player ever.

It's way too early in Manning's career to be saying "Best ever" in the same breath, let alone sentence. Plus, what has he honestly proven? I'm one of the biggest Manning fans out there(not a fan of Indy, though) but, no way can you say such a thing.

I noticed at the beginning of the thread that someone said that the Pats are the best team in the NFL. I'm confused...Who has homefield advantage in the AFC? Who went 15-1? Oh...That's right...My hometown team...And I don't live in Boston.

ragesRemorse
thats right man the steelers surely have flocked their wings in the championship direction. I totally agree, you can't really tag one player as "an" the most spectacular player of america football.. If anyone get's it it should be jhonny unitas or john elway, maybe sanders. However, my norhtern friend above is correct it isnt just one man that makes a tso it's hard to say. Either way though Lynn swan was and is the most underatted and overlooked player

Samas-adian
I think Emmitt Smith is underrated and overlooked player. Whenever somebody mentions a runner backs, its either Sanders or Payton. But Emmitt has rushing att, yards and td's records. This shows he is the best RB(maybe not flashy).

KharmaDog
Barry Sanders carried a team for many years and was the complete running back package. He retired early, but did more in the years he played statswise than most could hope for. Imagine if he actually had an offensive line that ever blocked. Imagine if he ever had a quarterback that could control the tempo of a game, imagine if he had of played with a few competitent recievers that could have taken the heat off him just once. He was the best that ever was, and will never get the recognition cause he played on an ass team.

Mike singletary controlled entire games. Ronnie Lott dictated to an offence where they could go. Those two guys are definitely in my alltime top 10, but not many other people's.

dean7879
landon donovan or maybe tim howard who plays for manchester united

botankus
LOL @ thumb up

Anyways....I can't believe the Patriot Nation bandwagons haven't come into this thread and proclaimed Tom Brady as the greatest immortal QB of all time.

dean7879
freddy adu is a good prospect

Myth
Favre has always been my fav.

JohnConstantine
man, id say best football player ever when it comes to taking over a game would have to be Ronnie Lott. Started his carreer off as a CB then converted to the best safety ever to play the game. Won 5 Super Bowls and had a bit of his pinky cut off just to play in the next game.

when it comes to the best football player i would ever pay to watch play, no doubt it would be Brett Favre. The guy has made so many plays out of simple chaos at the line of scrimmage. If his line wouldnt block, he would find a way to make time and throw some insane pass with his eyes closed and the reciever would be wide open for a TD. Most exciting player ever to play to game.

darthfirerock
i think like most team sports that really it needs to be broken down into eras. seriously its hard to compare what jim thorpe's worth is to a team in todays football, but in his era he was the man. unlike any other sport you have defense and offense split apart. there is really no way to compare their stats so break it down further and say best defensive player and best offensive player.

with that said i'd say from superbowl era'68 on) that no qb has meant more to a team than joe montana. there may be others that are stronger and faster but noone can win like that man. he did whatever it took.
defensive from superbowl era: i have to agree and say ray lewis.

jim brown was a force in his era. many defenders speak even today of how intimidating he was. the man refused to ever go out of bounds, and never let his teammates see him getting medical attention. when he retired he had almost every rushing record, many nfl titles, and a body that was physically starting to give out on him, yet everyone was confused as to why he was retiring and still thought he was in prime physical shape. just a testament to the physcological edge he created for himself around the league. a true champion.
as for defense in pre superbowl era my money would be on dick butkus. the man was a machine.

jim thorpe would be my pick from the era when players played both ways. he may have been the greatest athlete from his time period. to this day he is one of only a few players in the hall of fame b/c of his kicking abilities, and he held the league together in the earliest days when it surely should have crumbled.

speiderman
Lavar Arrington

speiderman
and Darell Green.

ElectricBugaloo
Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton

scoobym
This question is so easy. Walter Payton. Hands down.

strgr81
The greatest football player ever is Jerry Rice! Think about it. Every other player at every other position is questioned whether or not he's the best ever at there position, except Rice. He's got all the records and 3 super bowls.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.