Spielberg might ruin Episode III!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eXSBass
Okay, so Lucas and Spielberg may be good freinds but there's nothing wrong with healthy competition right...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

It's got all the top actors, Cruise and so and so...
...and is going to be released...SUMMER 2005! mad mad mad

Is Spielberg out to get Lucas or what!

It looks good as well. Do you reckon this will be the movie that is going to go head to head with Star Wars and do you reckon it will ruin Revenge?

I got a funny feeling War of the Worlds is going to ruin Revenge.

(BTW - I searched KMC and nothing came up. Try it your self with the key words "War of the Worlds" and "War of the Worlds Spielberg"wink

Gangularis
did spiderman ruin AOTC?? noo....

it was just big competition.. but i'm pretty sure a lot of people went to both.

besides, lucas can ruin the prequel and the original trilogy all on his own.

The Ones
true, so true

Jedi Priestess
You got this is going to be a great movie from that trailer?? Simply because Speilberg and Cruise are in it doesn't make it a great movie. I dont see anything here to get excited about yet.

Also, summer time is THE big season for movies, trust me there will be a bunch of big box movies coming out next summer to compete with ROTS. As good as ROTS looks it wont be the summer box office champ, and I'd be willing to bet on that.

Dart Saber
that is the stupidest trailer i ever saw in my life!!!

they are here...explosions...they are in space....space.... they are in my bathroom...

hehe

ROTS is going to ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

especially after that pic where anakin is going to execute dooku

Eleonora
I think WOTW will be released at the beginning of July or so, it shouldn't ruin ROTS even if it wanted to.

Anakin2Vader
What does War of the Worlds have to do with the making of EP 3?
I really dont care at all about ticket sales

Mortanius
Don't be silly, ROTS has a loyal following of millions of fans. What does WOTW have? Plus WOTW is being rushed to meet the summer 2005 deadline. And we all know what happens to movies that are rushed.

bilbofett
WOTW is gonna tank, SW or no SW

Captain REX
Very narrow minded people I see... sniper

Spielberg can't really steal audiences you know. They can go see both movies, after all...

I agree with Bilbofett. War of the Worlds is a great tale, and will probably make a great movie.

But it won't ruin Star Wars. Spielberg's not trying to make Lucas lose some stupid bet. They're good friends, after all!

Sadako of Girth
Hmmmm I wonder if this was a factor in the AOTC giant spider-droid design... wink I alway thought it was kinda WOTW-martian looking...

PVS
if anything, ep3 will help ticket sales for wotw.
there is usually a sci-fi trend when a star wars film comes out,
but its star wars that leads the trend. all other films follow.

the fact is that wotw will not hurt ep3 ticket sales in the least.
it will not lead to the loss of a single sold ticket for lucas.
especially since they are released about a month apart.
this topic is way on the irrational paranoia side.

Captain REX
Same, though those were tripoded and heat-beams of death and were immune to atomic bombs... stick out tongue

Freakin' Jedi
I'm pretty sure Episode I did ruin the PT (maybe incl. ROTS), not Spielberg. laughing out loud laughing out loud

forumcrew
ROTS is supposed to come out may 19th
WOTW is supposed to come out June 29th

so it doesnt matter how good or how bad WOTW is because starwas will already have 4-5 weekends of running before it is released

Cowboyography
The only way Spielberg could Ruin ROTS is if he had Lucas side tracked with Indy 4 during The making of ROTS

tpaquin
War of the worlds will be another stupid big budget hollywood remake fiasco.

and Spieldberg is overrated

GCG
ROTS is Star Wars and we all know how special Star Wars is. Its a franchise; its a machine that draws the crowds. You're not thinking that The War of The Worlds will pip ROTS from the top spot, because its not going to happen.

Besides dont forget what happened when AOTC was 'Not yet Released' -
" Almost three million Star Wars fans could call in sick to work so they can see the new Star Wars film as soon as it is released. " - BBC reporting

Sith Master X
I don't see how a movie coming out a month and a half later is going to ruin the release of Episode 3. But oh well. I'm not worried.

Episode 3's gonna crush every movie that year.

forumcrew
like i said it cant and it wont.. thread is pointless.. should be closed now

Morridini
I hope this remake turns out to be good, and I hope Spielberg won't ruin the plot by changing the ending, as I heard on IMDB that many would prefer.

Darth_Nefarus
I think that there is no reason to worry about this film. ROTS has been in the making/people have been waiting, for almost 30 years. War of the worlds does NOT have the Birth of Darth Vader! The most anticipated moment in the history of cinema!

treadline
As preiviously stated, summer has always been the time for blockbuster films. I'm looking forward to War Of The Worlds and Batman Begins as well as ROTS. I don't care about making more money for Lucas, Speilberg or Warner Bros. and I don't care which movie makes more money.

GCG
^ A true movie fan yes couldnt agree more

Morridini
That's the way it should be, well said. thumb up

treadline
Thanks smile

Ushgarak
Since when were WOTW tripods immune to atomic bombs? Atomic bombs didn't even exist when it was written. Heavy artillery could kill them.

But err... yeah, I don't see the big deal here. Matrix coming out before TPM was a far bigger issue and it didn't make much difference. My only worry is that they have messed up the story by putting it in a modern setting- again...

jedijunky1138
WOTW is being filmed about 30 miles from my house. Its being filmed (atleast part of it) in Lexington VA. How cool is that?

.:Space Opera:.
"My only worry is that they have messed up the story by putting it in a modern setting- again..c."

what? did you see the cars and the way the people were dressed? clearly same time period.

GCG
Space ; have u ever read H.G. Wells's book ? It was written in the late 19th century

Darth_Decimator
i just saw the trailer for wotw and i think it looks pretty interesting however i dont think it will be anywhere near as good as rots , i dont think george will be to worried , and didnt aotc knock spiderman off #1 when it came out in the us , i didnt here in aus , we never got spiderman till way after aotc

Ushgarak
Now, think about that line. WOTW was written in Victorian times.

CARS?

Or perhaps the other clue is the opening line of the trailer that refers to the 21st Century...

Blimey, good example here of the need to engage brain before posting!

PVS
rotten mood? confused

Captain REX
Must have been a different "aliens attacking the Earth" scenario then... *scratches head*

Ushgarak
Most likely the 50's film or Independance Day, which was based on WOTW (and so makes another modern interpretation not a great idea).

Captain REX
And no, PVS, he's just frustrated that no one bothered using their brain for that...

Morridini
Yeah they did use atomic bombs in the movie from the 50's (I have it right her on DVD).

But is Independence Day based on WOTW? Are there any other similarities other then aliens invading earth?

Ushgarak
Yup- the use of a virus to kill them, which the director called an allegory to the original. He also said he got the nuclear bombs thing from the WOTW original- making the same kind of error! I think that 50's film has coloured a lot of perceptions.

Morridini
I didn't make the connection between the Bacterias in WOTOW and the Virus in Independence Day, thanks for sorting that out Ush.

CBright7831
Uh no.

Ushgarak
In the meanwhile, guilty as I am of this myself, I'll have to shift this to movie discussion if it carries on like this. Any more talk on how it might relate to or affect ROTS?

PVS
its pretty much unanimous that WotW will have absolutely no effect on ep3 ticket sales.

vader519
It won't affect ROTS becuse it comes out near the end of June. It is just competition and the chance to brag who will rule the summer of 2005.

theshakl
maybe Spielberg is mad because he didn't get to direct episode 3...and thats why he wants it to come out on summer 2005 so bad...

guiro72
speilberg is a hack who churns out dumbed down melodramatic crap.....a lot of the films i like bomb because people don't get them, most films that do well seem like crap to me.....i would be happy if ep III did terrible box office because it was too dark and deep and uncompromising.....i would love it even more.....

ab2421
Forget about War of the Worlds and Batman...... Watch out for Peter Jackson' King Kong... it will be the ruler of the 2005 box office

Morridini
I am not sure if King Kong is going to be any good. I am actually more looking forward to the Pink Panther.

"And no, PVS, he's just frustrated that no one bothered using their brain for that..."

you know, i wont be offended if you just went ahead and said my name, no i have never read the book, i didnt know that there was a book till recently. i saw the movie when i was a kid and loved it, and thats why i got excited when i heard they're remaking it. i will now read the book soon to see the differences.

"Forget about War of the Worlds and Batman...... Watch out for Peter Jackson' King Kong... it will be the ruler of the 2005 box office"

WTF? if its anything like LOTR it will suck. LOTR only was good because of the books reputation and special effects. Jack Black in a serious role? HA! it wont be believable. and the storyline will be drowned by hefty special effects sequences which is exactly what happened to LOTR

ab2421
and the storyline will be drowned by hefty special effects sequences which is exactly what happened to LOTR

How about, "which is exactly what happened to Star Wars"..

Seriously, the LOTR films were amazing cinematic achievements- and they had the perfect combination of special effects and low-tech effects.... ROTS will probably be great, but just don't count out King Kong

"How about, "which is exactly what happened to Star Wars"..

ummm no. while lord of the rings was an adaptation of the book, the story to star wars is still unraveling, which keeps ME interested. star wars may have SE's but the story is still VERY intracit,

LOTR= better book
star wars= better MOVIE.

tpaquin
Thank you for your deep and thorough rebuttal!

Speilberg is extremely overrated. In fact, I'd say that he is the number one most overrated director in hollywood. Ask anyone who a director is and they'll name him, and maybe Tim Burton or Stanley Kubrick if they're a little intelligent. Spielberg has gained great esteem for about three films: Jurassic Park, ET, and Saving Private Ryan(Yes, I knwo theer are others that were good, but these were the blockbusters.) Only one of which was original from a directorial perspective(E.T.) and none of which threw anything real onto the table. Hollywood stopped making truly good movies in teh fifties. Spieldberg is the premiere hollywood director. Hollywood is a corporation, a corporation that people like Lucas, teh Coen Brothers, and Kevin Smile(pre-Jay and Silent Bob Strke Back) have attempted to prove was not the be-all-end-all of movie making.

Ushgarak
Egad... moving...

"Only one of which was original from a directorial perspective(E.T.) "

try indiana jones......and close encounters and jaws and schinldler's list. directing isnt writing bud, writers come up with the story, not directors. ET wasnt written by sp. it was directed by him along with EVERY movie done by him. although i would say that the direction is always what makes the movie good, but get it straight.

Cinemaddiction
Are you honestly that ignorant? Must be, for shame.

The same Sci Fi fans, I'd assume, in addition to fans of both Spielberg and Cruise.

It's not a remake.

I guess you've never seen Jaws, Poltergeist, Duel, Jurassic Park,1941, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Indy Trilogy, The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, uhhh..need I name more, or have you realized how incredibly ignorant and naive you've just come off? He's one of the most influential directors/writers of all time. His being "overrated" is merely your opinion, where as his influence is factual.

Steven's work won't in anyway effect the success of Lucas's film BECAUSE THEY AREN'T EVEN COMING OUT THE SAME ****ING MONTH, YOU NINNIES!

GCG
What ?? On what basis ?

I give Peter Jackson credit for filming 3 movies contemporanously whilst always remaining focused.

GCG
double post

tpaquin
Ok, so I didn't think that part out.

Jaws was legitimately good. Indiana Jones had an awesome story and awesome acting, but teh direction was just your average action movie. It's mostly good due to Harrison. Schindler's List was okay except for teh black and white, and teh one character in color...which was very unique.

Oh, and I resent your ignorance towards what I meant on the ET thing. The story's fine. I meant taking all the shots from a child's size, proportions, and perspective. Thanks for giving me zero credit, there. I guess I have nothing to get straight.

<<Solo>>
Batman Begins will **** up WOTW And ROTS.

Cinemaddiction
"Batman Begins" is another Summer flick. "Revenge of the Sith" is dropping in May. There's no competition to be mentioned, guys. Stop making such a fuss over something that isn't going to happen.

Besides, David Goyer is on his way to be the next Paul W.S. Anderson, especially once the final numbers for "Blade: trinity" come in, so I'd like to think.

GCG
i surely hope he lives up to your expectations

McBane
I dont care which film is gonna be better i shall see them all anyway!
Gaz

guiro72
i agree with everything you've said in previous posts, tpaquin, well said....except for hollywood bowing out in the 50's....for me and a lot of other people the 70's was the last hurrah for hollywood....the story goes that the bigwigs just didn't know what would be popular with a young audience anymore, and so trusted directors to present their own vision their own way, with minimal interference for the first time....then came star wars....to be cruel you could say that lucas destroyed modern american film, to be fair you could say that the executives didn't understand star wars any more than any of the other films that were being made.....this misunderstanding led to scores of films like independence day and men in black being made.....

give up on hollywood, all the best films these days come from elsewhere or from subversives within the system.....example: don't go see the grudge starring sarah michelle gellar, see the original.....another example: why isn't the remake of the italian job set in italy anymore?.....

and on the topic of speilberg, sure he's made a lot of films we all recognise because they were promoted with saturation advertising and showered with academy awards, but i dare anyone to describe one idea he's had that was original or brave or thought provoking.....charlie kaufman throws better ideas out with his table scraps....

but i like to be challenged by what i watch, so each to his own....have fun next time you sit down to watch hook....

and don't take me too seriously either....

Jackie Malfoy
I did not even know that he was part of it.But judging by his movies I think he might do a good job.But because we are not sure and because this is the last star wars movie.
I don't think we should have Spieberg doing something too ricky.JM

guiro72
no, you're right, lucas wasn't part of hollywood....as far as i can see star wars was a very strange and original (not to mention risky) film at the time, which is why i loved it, still love it, and why i'm here on a star wars message board....but the success of star wars influenced hollywood, because hollywood goes where they think the money is, as we all know....

guiro72
and, sorry to double post, but rots will be made and will be the movie that it is....the amount of people who go to see it, or the amount of money it makes won't change what the film is, or affect our enjoyment of it (well, mine anyway)....even if it bombed majorly (which it won't), lucas still wouldn't end up starving in the gutter, so it makes little difference.....let's just hope lucas isn't thinking too much about the box office, and instead is concentrating on making the film he needs to make artistically.....so far that looks very much to be the case.....fingers crossed, roll on may....

Cinemaddiction
The original gold heist was set in Italy. The sequel, however, will take place in the Neitherlands, etc.

fini
look no movie could damage Episode 3

if people who want to go watch it, would go watch it

* fini orders her ticket for War of the Worlds*

hunchy
Dude, is Spielberg out to get Lucas, JUST because he's making another movie scheduled to come out at the same time???? What a douche. He's another filmmaker and makes other movies. It's not like its gonna shut down Lucas. They're best friends. War of the Worlds to ruin Star Wars...No way...Not even close. Lots of peoples movies come out at the same time....Some people have some pretty strange opinions out there and don't really know what they are talking about...such as this thread...

"Okay, so Lucas and Spielberg may be good freinds but there's nothing wrong with healthy competition right...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

It's got all the top actors, Cruise and so and so...
...and is going to be released...SUMMER 2005!

Is Spielberg out to get Lucas or what!

It looks good as well. Do you reckon this will be the movie that is going to go head to head with Star Wars and do you reckon it will ruin Revenge?

I got a funny feeling War of the Worlds is going to ruin Revenge.

(BTW - I searched KMC and nothing came up. Try it your self with the key words "War of the Worlds" and "War of the Worlds Spielberg"wink

<<Solo>>
o.O Hunchy is back.

GCG
what u mean ? Whats This ?

vagaryatwill
Episode III may have been ruined before it even was made. It's so hard to get away from the previous two.

hunchy
Hey Solo,
yeah I kind of got sick of being here all the time...I'm in the process of starting my own ACTUAL review website.

Imperial_Samura
Dare I say it... Lucas didn't need any help ruining Episode I.... sorry, sorry. But I fail to see the logic behind this. How does releasing the two movies at similar times "ruin" one of them? Or is it simply because it might mean SW episode III might not get as much money? Somehow I don't think a movie should be judged by its earnings, but by itself, if Episode III is good, then it is a success, even if it doesn't break records. After all, Titanic did that and now a few years down the track people spit on it as a movie. And to be honest I think WotW is a great tale, and if Spielberg manages to make a better movie the Lucas in this case, then good, because if for some reason if Episode III is not as good as it could have been it wont be Spielberg's fault just because he made WOTW. (and I am looking forward to episode III, but not going over the top.)

ragesRemorse
the only thing that could ruin episode 3 would be the sub par popularity of Clones, well...that and episode 3 turning out to be shit like its last two predocessors. I can gaurentee you, even if Jesus christ came to Earth to direct a film, a star wars movie would still beat it out. I mean jesus doesnt have the lucas team to exploit the shit out if his movie.

Imperial_Samura
Which is kind of a shame, I prefer a good movie doing well becuase it deserves it, not becuase of what is in essance a "brand name".

Havoc470
just because spielberg is making a sci-fi movie doesnt mean its competition for lucas.....remember, spielberg made E.T, minority report, and close encounters of the 3rd kind, not to mention jurassic park which was sort of sci-fi

he's had a history of sci-fi movies yet people think he's out to get lucas....lucas' only long franchise is star wars....then he made that straight to dvd movie not too long ago, and co-directed the first two indiana jones with spielberg......its just two directors doing what they like, lucas just does it with one long ass frikkin franchise

no need to hate on either of them or go into this whole hollywood theory bullsh*t

(it may seem like im angry but im not, i just curse occasionally)

Havoc470
by the way WotW is a book, just in case some people may not know

Imperial_Samura
And a radio play adapted from the book.

Havoc470
yeah lol, thanks for the edge

ash23
whats to ruin?

Havoc470
nothing at all, just because they're both under the sci-fi genre doesnt mean one is gonna give the other competition, one's in may the others in june, both have their supporters and everything comes out alright

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.