Math Trick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MC Mike
Okay, everyone knows that 11 is more than 1. The same holds for 0.11 being more than 0.1. Now, Let me ask you this:

When you have 9.0, you add 1.0 to get to 10. When you have 9.9, you add 0.1. And now the important part:

If you have 9.99, you add 0.11. 0.11 is more than 0.1. 9.99 is more than 9.9. Where did the extra value come from?

This is a math trick, not a real problem. It's really simple, and everything that I said up there is total bullshit. stick out tongue

If you scroll down you might see the answer so try figuring it out for yourself first.

*I got this from a little genius test thing*

SlipknoT
wowzers geek

MC Mike
It's really fecking easy. roll eyes (sarcastic) You're just lazy. laughing out loud

Darth Revan
I know the answer! eek!

But I ain't tellin shifty

MC Mike
big grin

Nazgulinthedark
.01!? eek!

GCG
pretty much the same as this :

3 men go into a motel. The desk clerk said the room was $30, so each man paid $10 and went to the room. A while later, the desk clerk realized the room was only $25, so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys' room with $5. On the way, the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly between 3 men, so he gave each man $1 and kept the other $2 for himself. This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of $27.
Add to that the $2 the bellboy kept and the total is $29.

Where is the other dollar?

Nazgulinthedark
i had to do that for math class! eek!

i forgot the answer though erm

GCG
yes
Con men have used this trick for over a hundred years to get store owners and cashiers to give them the wrong (too much) change.

MC Mike
For anyone too who wants to know... 0.99+0.11 does NOT equal 10.00, it equals 10.10. 0.99+0.01 equals 10.00.

mailedbypostman
So simple. It almost worked for me.

RaventheOnly
no expression thats basic algebra no expression if i asked about quitients and infinite series your head would explode. no expression

BackFire
God damn I hate math.

MC Mike
no expression okay whatever no expression you say Raven no expression The Only no expression

Teen Titan#1FAN
erm

Captain REX
Hallelujah!

Dwarfdude
And yet, when you do 25 + 2, it equals 27, and then add the three the men have, it adds up to 30....Weird....

Captain REX
Well duh...

GCG
exactlyThe trick is the math problem is worded so it mixes outlay (what they paid) and income (what they got back) in such a way as to make the problem unsolvable without stating it in a different way. ; )

RaventheOnly
no expression believe it.

justjakk
yes this is simple. when you add 0.09 and 0.01, you get 0.10. so when you add 9.99 and 0.11, you get 10.10

the extra is .10. strange.

justjakk
what the bellboy forgot is, there were three guys with a total of 25 for the room. that meant, one guy paid 10, while the other two paid 9. unfortunately, when he kept the two dollars, he was cheating two guys. now which two guys he was cheating is up for the three guys to fight over. 10+9+9=28+the 2 the bellboy kept=30

justjakk
sorry, i woke up retarded.

25 for three guys meant two paid 8 and one paid 9

16-9=25.

if the bellboy did it right and let them fight over the five, it would have evened out. since he didnt, it left the 2 dollars out of the equation.

16+9+3=28+2=30

i knew there was a cure for retardation lol

GCG
you must be the ONE

justjakk
yeah, aint it a kick in the arse?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.