Should we fear god?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
Some christens believe that we should fear god.What do you think about this?
Do you think we should fear god even through we don't believe in him?
Don't forget to vote.JM confused

frodo34x
We should fear his wrath, and the power he has to 'disown' us when it comes to judgement day.

MC Mike
If you don't believe in him, more power to you. Flip the bird at the sky. stick out tongue

But I believe in him, and I don't fear him. I "love" him.

Arsenal
I don't. I think he's nice and forgiving, even to the meanest of people.

Imperial_Samura
It depends on which God, if its the Christian God it would be on which period you think represents him best. Pre-Jesus full of wrath and plagues, or post, when the message is that he is all forgiving and a kindly sort. Still, if you don't believe at all there is no reason to be scared of something you don't believe in.

Gregory
Strange question. For those who really don't believe in God, there's no point in fearing him.

Falling4Daniel_
Since Im Catholic, I believe in God and I think in some ways everyone needs to fear, and in some ways they dont.

Adam_PoE
Are you a God-fearing man, Senator? That is such a strange phrase. I've always thought of God as a teacher; a bringer of light, wisdom, and understanding. You see, I think what you really fear is me. Me and my kind, the Brotherhood of Mutants. Oh, it's not so surprising really. Mankind has always feared what it doesn't understand. Well, don't fear God, Senator, and certainly don't fear me. Not any more. Welcome to the future.

Tex
I dont think god is good or bad and we shouldn't fear or love her.

These are human emotions and terms we convey to a power that is so highly advanced we cannot possibly comprehend its true characteristics.

Afro Cheese
I don't fear God any more than I fear santa or the easter bunny.

finti
why should you fear a god if you dont believe in one? whats there to fear

eleveninches
Why would a god even bother punishing mortals?

I dont go around punishing ants for killing each other, why would god care unless he recognises mankind as a potential threat to his godhood.

Cipher
If a god is supposed to be kind and loving, why fear it? Any person or thing that demands you fear it isn't worthy of respect. If the message has any value to a person, they'll listen to it; but they shouldn't be threatened......

Celestialgirl
It says in the bible we should fear God but also love God

finti
it also says to aint doing things we find normal to do today, the bible is so out of date .... it makes me god

Bardock42
I don't fear someone that doesn't exist.

finti
i exist so fear me

Bardock42
I don't know you good enough, but I fear you moire than God

finti
at least we are making some progress then

Bardock42
indeed we are

finti
more than wwe can say about christianity big grinbig grin

Bardock42
I don't like the poll, there is no possibility to say "He doesn't exist, duh"
everything is imoplying that there actually is a God

finti
thats why I havent participated in the poll

frodo34x
That's because you'd only fear god if you believed in Him. If you didn't, you have nothing to fear.

Bardock42
indeed so it should be a possibility on that poll shouldn't it? Cause I don't fear him first implies that it is male and second that it exists.

frodo34x
If you don't fear Him, you vote no. It's not hard.

Clovie
you are not supossed to fear Him no
God is good.

Bardock42
ah yes and non-existant

WindDancer
You should fear other humans.....no a deity.

Bardock42
I fear other humans, they are all lunatics

WindDancer
Actually, I should change that. We shouldn't fear anyone.......just don't trust everyone. Yeah, I'll go with that better.

Bardock42
No no no, humans are crazy I only trust me and fear that everyoine is againstg me

frodo34x
So you don't trust you car? Or it's brakes? Or it's seatbelts?

If you had no trust at all, you would never do anything, and would live as a quivering paranoid wreck.

Bardock42
well I don't trust them but I have to cauwe that is great about life? I mean I sure hope that they did their job good but I wouldn't say "Yeah I really trust the guy who made my brakes"

DuronKiller
we should be awe-inspiring, in my opinion....

Linkalicious
No you should most certainly not fear God.

It's pathetic to think some people might actually live their life in fear of something that may not even exsist.

FeceMan
When the term 'fear' is used, it is not like, "OMG IM GOING 2B SMITED!!!111111!!!!!" fear. It is more reverence and awe.

Either way, I voted yes.

DuronKiller
thats what i wanted to say... thumbsup

finti
dont believe in god so whats to fear

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by MC Mike
If you don't believe in him, more power to you. Flip the bird at the sky. stick out tongue

But I believe in him, and I don't fear him. I "love" him.

I He says to fear him, but not a cowardly fear, a respecful fear.

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by FeceMan
When the term 'fear' is used, it is not like, "OMG IM GOING 2B SMITED!!!111111!!!!!" fear. It is more reverence and awe.

Either way, I voted yes.

Yes, EXACTALLY.

debbiejo
When scripture says "That the beginning of wisdom is to fear the Lord", it really should be translated awesomeness of greatness....not fear.

cking
no, it should be kept that way, and that is a very good verse, who wrote, was it solomon?

Superman 24
If you don't do anything wrong, and believe in God, you shouldn't have any reason to fear.

feralboy
it is respect for him not really fear

Imperial_Samura
But then, rather unfailry I think, it's impossible for us NOT to do wrong, or so they say. We are supposadly all born with the sin of what two people did who knows how long ago in the Garden.

feralboy
he knows we can't help but to sin.thats why he forgives us

svnthdysthsbbth
Fear of the Lord the
is in the Old Testament used as a designation of true piety
(Prov. 1:7; Job 28:28; Ps. 19:9). It is a fear conjoined with
love and hope, and is therefore not a slavish dread, but rather
filial reverence. (Comp. Deut. 32:6; Hos. 11:1; Isa. 1:2; 63:16;
64:8.) God is called "the Fear of Isaac" (Gen. 31:42, 53), i.e.,
the God whom Isaac feared.

A holy fear is enjoined also in the New Testament as a
preventive of carelessness in religion, and as an incentive to
penitence (Matt. 10:28; 2 Cor. 5:11; 7:1; Phil. 2:12; Eph. 5:21;
Heb. 12:28, 29).

finti
oh yeha rastaman

Storm

debbiejo
What kind of a father would say to his children....I love you, but if you don't do as I say, I'm going to throw you into everlasting burning punishment....??....That is a human indoctrination...and a tyrannical one at that..In fact, it's less than human....Is god more evil than a human father?

finti
god is a bad bad boy

debbiejo
Originally posted by finti
god is a bad bad boy

laughing out loud

Dude111
If one is mean and evil they might have reason to fear him.......

eThneoLgrRnae
Anyone who doesn't fear God (for whatever reason) is an idiot.

dyajeep
fearing God is not like being scared or afraid of Him

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."
Ecclesiastes 12:13

if you fear God, you will keep His commandments, in relation with this:

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."
I John 5:3

it's safe to say that "to fear God" is the same as "to love God"

eThneoLgrRnae
Fear and love are not the same thing.

You can both fear AND love God though, as you should.

dyajeep
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Fear and love are not the same thing.

in us humans, yes

but if keeping the Lord's commandments is both fearing and loving Him, then i suppose they are the same in that perspective

Mariland3
In my experience if there were an all-powerful monotheistic being it's personality would be that of a sadistic piece of shit that gradually sucks joy out of a human's life until they're dead, granting that person as an infant just enough joy to define from it's oppisite just enough suffering to satisfy itself at the end of that person's life.

Blakemore

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Mariland3
In my experience if there were an all-powerful monotheistic being it's personality would be that of a sadistic piece of shit that gradually sucks joy out of a human's life until they're dead, granting that person as an infant just enough joy to define from it's oppisite just enough suffering to satisfy itself at the end of that person's life.

That's more of a reflection of your depressing view on life I'd say.

Blakemore
How about no.

Blakemore

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Blakemore
How about no.

Well if he thinks life is just one big torture and cruel joke, then he's essentially saying he would have preferred not to have lived in the first place.

Newjak
Should we fear god? No

Because if a god exists and they want us to fear them then they aren't worth being worshipped.

If they don't exist, like I think they don't, then it's not worth wasting the time.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Newjak

Because if a god exists and they want us to fear them then they aren't worth being worshipped.

So just to follow up on this logic, if a child is afraid of his parents finding out he's done something naughty, are those parents also not worth having?

Also people who are afraid of breaking the law, because of they fear the punishment of the law, is that a Government not worthy to govern either?

Newjak
Originally posted by Darth Thor
So just to follow up on this logic, if a child is afraid of his parents finding out he's done something naughty, are those parents also not worth having?

Also people who are afraid of breaking the law, because of they fear the punishment of the law, is that a Government not worthy to govern either? None of these are promising you eternal torment while saying they love you absolutely.

Also to follow up. If you're parents demand absolute obedience to them with threat of pain/abuse yes those aren't good parents.

Same for the government.

Blakemore
What newjak said.

Robtard
Will add, if you're someone who doesn't harm, rape and/or murder just because you fear something awful will happen to you after you're dead, you're probably mental.

Blakemore
What robtard said.

eThneoLgrRnae
Anyone who doesn't fear God (for whatever reason) is an idiot.

What I said. thumb up

My opinion on it hasn't changed. Anyone who doesn't fear God is a fool... and the people who don't think He even exists are even bigger fools. wink

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
So sorry to have triggered you, yet again. laughing out loud

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
Edit: nevermind. Not worth the effort.

Blakemore
Not enough substance? ermhappy

eThneoLgrRnae
Nah, plenty of subtsance. I'm just tired of arguing with ignorant people. It's not like you all will ever admit you were so obviously wrong.

Blakemore

Darth Thor
None of these are promising you eternal torment while saying they love you absolutely.

Also to follow up. If you're parents demand absolute obedience to them with threat of pain/abuse yes those aren't good parents.

Same for the government.

Well we can't give eternal torment, but we do give life imprisoment for certain crimes.

Anyway the extent of the punishment is one thing, but lets focus on the principal first that it's not worth following a Being who is willing to punish us for our crimes and/or deviant behaviour.

So again is it bad parenting if kids behave with a combination of love from their parents and fear for the consequences of bad behaviour? Forget abuse cases, we are only talking about the fear aspect.

And again is it wrong for me to fear penalties for wreckless driving? Does that mean Government is bad and not worth having for putting that fear into me every time I feel like speeding?

Newjak
Well we can't give eternal torment, but we do give life imprisoment for certain crimes.

Anyway the extent of the punishment is one thing, but lets focus on the principal first that it's not worth following a Being who is willing to punish us for our crimes and/or deviant behaviour.

So again is it bad parenting if kids behave with a combination of love from their parents and fear for the consequences of bad behaviour? Forget abuse cases, we are only talking about the fear aspect.

And again is it wrong for me to fear penalties for wreckless driving? Does that mean Government is bad and not worth having for putting that fear into me every time I feel like speeding? I think at this point you're failing to recognize what I'm saying or you're purposely straw-maning me by ignoring what I'm saying for your own narrative.

Darth Thor
I think at this point you're failing to recognize what I'm saying or you're purposely straw-maning me by ignoring what I'm saying for your own narrative.

Not really. I feel like I've asked pretty fair questions and am sticking to the topic of if it's appropriate to Fear God or not, whilst using worldly examples, and asking why it's different IN PRINCIPAL (leaving the eternal aspect out of it).

As for my own narrative, I'm sorry do you not want to hear the other side of the argument?

Newjak
Not really. I feel like I've asked pretty fair questions and am sticking to the topic of if it's appropriate to Fear God or not, whilst using worldly examples, and asking why it's different IN PRINCIPAL (leaving the eternal aspect out of it).

As for my own narrative, I'm sorry do you not want to hear the other side of the argument? Read what I wrote specially around this. You even quoted it.

Because if a god exists and they WANT us to fear them then they aren't worth being WORSHIPPED.

I've specifically pointed out that a god that wants us to fear them or one who creates laws that essentially govern through unjust fear aren't worth worshipping.

Your world examples don't work in the context of what I said. You also can't ignore the eternal aspect of this discussion.

For instance the Abrahamic god created a law that essentially boils down to "worship me or suffer for eternity". That is a terrible god. Just like if the entities you described as parents or government had similar rules they would be equally unjust.

And is not something worth believing in. That's the whole crux of it. A god that rules through fear is not a good god.

You're examples use minor fears of punishment as justification but that's not how deities work. You're not offering the other side. You're talking about something different all together. Which are minor fears of punishment okay. At best you could call it a layer of fear conversation but it's kind of moot to the point of whether or not we should fear a god enough believe they exist. Which if that were the case they aren't worth worshipping to begin with.

Instead we should be actively overthrowing those types of gods lol

Darth Thor
Well I clearly wasnt ignoring what you were saying. I specifically addressed it by asking you to ignore the extent of the punishment for a second and see if you just agree in principal that fearing punishment from a higher moral authority holding us to account is inherently some sort of immoral system.

But it seems you want to jump straight into the eternal torment part and use that to justify God either
a)not existing or
b)having an inferior moral compass to your own (I assume thats what you mean by overthrowing that God if he exists).

Newjak
Well I clearly wasnt ignoring what you were saying. I specifically addressed it by asking you to ignore the extent of the punishment for a second and see if you just agree in principal that fearing punishment from a higher moral authority holding us to account is inherently some sort of immoral system.

But it seems you want to jump straight into the eternal torment part and use that to justify God either
a)not existing or
b)having having an inferior moral compass to your own (I assume thats what you mean by overthrowing that God if he exists). Like I said at best you're trying to talk about a level of fear type thing but I don't really care about that.

Also judging a system while ignoring the worst parts of that system doesn't allow for accurate discussion imo.

Blakemore
Any being intimidating me into fear does not deserve my respect.

eThneoLgrRnae

Well then perhaps you can lecture Him about it when you come face to face with Him on Judgment Day and see how that turns out for you lol. wink

Blakemore
Sure.

Newjak
Sure. Just imagine worshipping a being with such a brittle ego they can't handle any criticism.

I'm glad I don't let a fictional abusive narcissist run my life.

eThneoLgrRnae
Sure.

Good luck lol.... you're gonna need an infinite amount of it. wink

Blakemore

Robtard

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
You know, if we didn't still have comets flying around our solar system evolutionists might have an actual, legitimate argument that the universe really is trillions of years old (sorry, but the mythical "Oort Cloud" that there is literally zero real evidence for is not a suitable explanation).

Nah, I take that back. They actually wouldn't because there are still plenty of other ways to prove it can't possibly be anywhere near that old or that the earth is billions of years old.

Wait, what's that? You accuse me of going off topic? Well, that's ok you see because Blakey did it first. wink

Robtard
You know, if we didn't still have comets flying around our solar system evolutionists might have an actual, legitimate argument that the universe really is trillions of years old (sorry, but the mythical "Oort Cloud" that there is literally zero real evidence for is not a suitable explanation).

False. See: Kuiper Belt Oort Cloud

eThneoLgrRnae
Truth hurts doesn't it, Robbie?

Robtard
People believing that the Earth, let alone the entire universe is only around 6K years old can be painful I guess. The level of idiocy that takes is astronomical, as there are objects on Earth far older than 6k years for starters.

Newjak
Truth hurts doesn't it, Robbie? laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud laughing

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Robtard
People believing that the Earth, let alone the entire universe is only around 6K years old can be painful I guess. The level of idiocy that takes is astronomical, there are objects on Earth far older than 6k years.

Oh Robbie, we are not doing this because I know it would be a total waste of time.

All I will say is that there are a multitude of ways to prove that the earth (and the universe) cannot possibly be billions or trillions of years old.

Nothing you say will convince me otherwise, trust me. Nor can any links you post convince me nor will I click on them because I know it will be from a biased secular source or even a Christian-hating one.

I'll admit that I have no real evidence that the earth or universe is only 6000 years old (other than historical Bible evidence). It is merely my personal belief and you can throw all the insults at me you like for believing that but it won't matter because I won't budge on it. It is really, really easy to prove it cannot be millions or billions of years old though. wink

eThneoLgrRnae
laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud laughing

laughing laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud

Robtard
Oh Robbie, we are not doing this because I know it would be a total waste of time.

All I will say is that there are a multitude of ways to prove that the earth (and the universe) cannot possibly be billions or trillions of years old.

Nothing you say will convince me otherwise, trust me. Nor can any links you post convince me nor will I click on them because I know it will be from a biased secular source or even an atheist one.

I'll admit that I have no real evidence that the earth or universe is only 6000 years old (other than historical Bible evidence). It is merely my personal belief and you can throw all the insults at me you like for believing that but it won't matter because I won't budge on it. It is really, really easy to prove it cannot be millions or billions of years old though. wink

No thank you, I have no desire to convince you of anything thumb up

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah yeah yeah, ha ha ha ha..... laugh all you like. Still doesn't matter because it is your belief that is more retarded. wink

Newjak
laughing laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud laughing

Wonder Man
God is perfect. So when you fear Him you can expect help.

Blakemore
Just search potholer54 on YouTube. You may come across his series that flat out explains how we know how old the earth is.

eThneoLgrRnae
Just search "blake is a dummy" on youtube lol.

Blakemore
https://youtu.be/l5xGH3QOxEg I found this, it has nothing to do with me. My real name is Andrew ffs.

eThneoLgrRnae
LOL. You actually did a search for it lmao.

Darth Thor

It's more about accountability than intimidation.

Scribble
God fears me

Robtard
Yeah yeah yeah, ha ha ha ha..... laugh all you like. Still doesn't matter because it is your belief that is more retarded. wink

I didn't laugh, I said I had no desire to try and convince you regarding the age of the Earth, or anything in general.

Now I'm laughing at you though.

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
You won't be come Judgment Day, I can assure you. You'll be pissing in your pants from being scared shitless.

And yeah, that day will come eventually... probably not too far off either with what's all going on in the world.

Blakemore

Darth Thor
You won't be come Judgment Day, I can assure you. You'll be pissing in your pants from being scared shitless.

You should worry more about yourself come Judgement Day. Especially given your posting history which displays a clear hate agenda, supporting of wars and occupations, and just general lack of empathy towards the human race.

Not claiming I'm perfect or that I'm one to judge. But if there really is accountability in the end for the way we've lived our lives, then we should all worry about ourselves instead of pointing the finger at others, which won't help when it comes to your own Judgement.

MuslimForLife
Yes, we should absolutely fear Allah. Only the arrogant kuffar have no fear of Allah, and they are the worst of creatures.

Blakemore

Darth Thor

Stigma
Just looked at the OP title. I'd say yes, there is a good reason to be affraid if you are evil.

TheThirst
Originally posted by Stigma
if you are evil. Bad intentions?

You'll end up associating the term "music to my ears" with "news to me" while being raped

TheThirst
And beaten daily

TheThirst
That's somebody's daughter

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Stigma
Just looked at the OP title. I'd say yes, there is a good reason to be affraid if you are evil.

The thing is, God has a much broader idea of what evil is than we do.

All sin is evil in His eyes and we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Only Jesus Christ is sinless (the pope, the saints, and Mary are not despite what roman catholics think; in fact, I'd say the pope is downright evil, especially Francis).

Everyone should fear the Lamb who will become the Lion at the second coming. Just merely loving Him is a mistake. Everyone should fear Him, including those of us who think "well, we're good people for the most part."

Even those of us who're actually saved should fear Him because although our Salvation is guaranteed thru the blood of Jesus Christ we can still be punished by God while we're still on earth if we continue to keep sinning willfully without even making a genuine effort to stop.

We are His spiritual children and He is our spiritual Father. Like any Father, sometimes He has to discipline and chastise His children when they continue to do wrong repeatedly.

Old Man Whirly!
The thing is, God has a much broader idea of what evil is than we do.

All sin is evil in His eyes and we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Only Jesus Christ is sinless (the pope, the saints, and Mary are not despite what roman catholics think; in fact, I'd say the pope is downright evil, especially Francis).

Everyone should fear the Lamb who will become the Lion at the second coming. Just merely loving Him is a mistake. Everyone should fear Him, including those of us who think "well, we're good people for the most part."

Even those of us who're actually saved should fear Him because although our Salvation is guaranteed thru the blood of Jesus Christ we can still be punished by God while we're still on earth if we continue to keep sinning willfully without even making a genuine effort to stop.

We are His spiritual children and He is our spiritual Father. Like any Father, sometimes He has to discipline and chastise His children when they continue to do wrong repeatedly. you should fear God, I shouldn't.

Stigma

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, we get it... you hate the concept of God and Christianity.

B*tching and whining about it isn't gonna make us believers abandon our faith so why waste your time, troll?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
you should fear God, I shouldn't.

Darth Thor

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
What are you talking about, drunkard?

Broken? Wtf?!

Nah, I'm totally fine, idiot.

I think you may be broken though.

You have a major chip on your shoulder towards anyone who believes in God.

So very pathetic.... and sad. sad

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
*sigh*

No, you're just an idiot who thinks the universe made itself from nothing lol.... even more hilarious, you actually call it "science." laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, you do. If you believe in the big bang then you most certainly do no matter how much you wanna deny it.

Blakemore

StyleTime
*sigh*

No, you're just an idiot who thinks the universe made itself from nothing lol.... even more hilarious, you actually call it "science." laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing
Well, good to see you still don't understand the science you claim to argue against.

Big Bang Theory, for the millionth time, doesn't state that everything came from nothing.

Everything was already there, compressed into a super dense, super hot state. The "Big Bang" is the rapid expansion of everything from that early form.

Although, I'm sure you'll just call me one of Satan's minions again, instead of listening.

Blakemore

eThneoLgrRnae
The big bang, abiogenesis, and darwinian macroevolution all violate established and unbreakable laws of science. If you believe any of them are actually scientific then you're a science denier, plain and simple.

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!
The big bang, abiogenesis, and darwinian macroevolution all violate established and unbreakable laws of science. If you believe any of them are actually scientific then you're a science denier, plain and simple. durwank nutty

eThneoLgrRnae
Nope. A "theory" that breaks laws of science is not scientific.

eThneoLgrRnae
Blake, pooty, and ST are all science deniers. wink

eThneoLgrRnae

eThneoLgrRnae
"NUH UH, gawd don't even exist her derp!"

Whatever you say, atheists. We'll see who's right when Judgment Day comes.

"JUDGMENT DAY AIN'T REAL EITHER YOU STOOOOOPID GAWD BELIEVER!"

Again, we'll see. smile

Blakemore
You ok, man?

eThneoLgrRnae
lol I'm fine, limey.

You worry about yourself, drunkard.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
you should fear God, I shouldn't.

eThneoLgrRnae
Nah, you should fear Him as well.

Old Man Whirly!
Nah, you should fear Him as well. You don't believe in religious freedom?

eThneoLgrRnae
Course I do.

God gave you free will. We are not robots.

If you wanna deny Jesus Christ that is your choice. There will be serious consequences for doing so though.... just sayin'.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>