Magneto The Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Magneto X-Men Spin-Off Movie Coming!
Source: Variety
December 13, 2004

Variety reports that 20th Century Fox has set Sheldon Turner ("The Longest Yard," "The Amityville Horror," "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" prequel) to write Magneto, an action-thriller based on the villainous character played in the first two "X-Men" films by Ian McKellen.

The project marks the second extension of the studio's "X-Men" comic book franchise. The move follows a Fox deal with "Troy" screenwriter David Benioff to write Wolverine, who is played by Hugh Jackman in the films.

The studio is developing the spin-offs as they separately develop X-Men 3. Simon Kinberg is writing the third installment. Magneto will likely be produced by the "X-Men" duo of Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

The original "X-Men" film began with a prologue that showed Magneto as a child being led to a concentration camp by Nazis, and that is the period in which the new film will take place. Since the character will be seen almost exclusively in his formative years, it is not clear whether McKellen will be in the film at all, says the trade.

"I pitched a film that is almost 'The Pianist' meets 'X-Men,' about a guy who, after watching his family slaughtered, has an awakening of his powers and seeks revenge," Turner said.

The storyline will heavily involve Professor X (played by Patrick Stewart in the films). That character was a soldier in the allied force that liberated the concentration camps. The professor meets Magneto after the war, and while they bond over the realization that they are alike in their special powers, their differences soon turn them into enemies.

pr1983
hmm... interesting...

Paola
nobody knows who's directing X3 and they pretend to make a Magneto movie?????

GOSH!!

Abbita
that source it chatting pup wacko

ash23
what?

TheFilmProphet
Yeah....

I'm not sure whether to be excited or mad. wink

eleveninches
a magneto movie sounds like a good idea.

Hopefully, it will be darker than x-men movies, but considering the target audience, i doubt it.

Shadow_King
i think they are going to fast with making some many spin-offs i think thats what is going to destroy the X-men franchise... with all these spinoffs.

TheFilmProphet
Perhaps your right, sad

Give FOX at least another year and we can expect at least 1 or 2 more spin-offs besides Magneto and Wolverine. Early on there were rumors of a Nightcrawler spin-off and a Storm spin-off. Obviously the Storm spin-off won't be happening, but maybe the Nightcralwer one will and who knows what else. I mean they surprised us with this spin-off so at this point you can expect anything from FOX and Marvel.

Shadow_King
omg!!!! maybe night crawler because he has his own comic book.... but STORM give me a break.

TheFilmProphet
Like I said there won't be a spin-off with Storm now because Hall Berry walked out from the X-Men universe. (thank god)

Anyway I think a Nightcrawler spin-off would't be so bad because we will get to see how his life in the performing circus was and how people treated him. We would also get to see how he became so religious.

Shadow_King
ya.... and if X3 comes out and gambit is in it... of course they are gonna make a spinoff of him.

TheFilmProphet
Then maybe Beast, Pheonix, and maybe Angel.

Then the villain spin-offs! eek!

Were looking at possibly at least 5 spin-offs

Shadow_King
ya i think the phoenix spin off could be a possibility.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah the only 2 that I think serioulsy have a chance are Pheonix and Nightcrawler. So I guess theres actually maybe 4 spin-offs in the near future for the X-Men universe.

Shadow_King
that is too many spin offs. from one film.

TheFilmProphet
Fox wants to make money and they don't care how they make it, they saw that the X-Men franchise was making profit so now they want to milk it for all its worth.

The only thing that could stop these spin-offs from being made is if X3 bombed at the box office.

Shadow_King
ya..... but i hope that does not happen.

TheFilmProphet
Me either.

They aren't even sure if Ian will be in the Magneto film at all, so I'm not sure I would go watch a drama about Magneto as a teenager. wink

Shadow_King
of course.... maybe magneto and professor X are gonna be played by younger actors.

TheFilmProphet
Maybe Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor) can play Xavier stick out tongue

jenn624
there's a bit about it in the Comic Continuum for today - clicky here, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this yet....
confused

Shadow_King
laughing out loud laughing out loud i dunno maybe.... he is good at the philosphical stuff.....and he can play a bald guy pretty good...... maybe.

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

Shadow_King
laughing out loud and maybe..... uhhh.... um....... who is good to play as magneto thats the big question.

TheFilmProphet
Richard Gere?? stick out tongue

Shadow_King
ok i think thats a little too old.

TheFilmProphet
I can't think of anything else. wink

Shadow_King
tom welling???

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

Shadow_King
i was never good with casting and thats why i never want to grow up as a cast director

but hey if tom welling is in it then hm and michael would have opposite roles than they would usually have in smallville.

TheFilmProphet
true

I think unknowns would be best for the roles of Xavier and Magnus.

apocalyptic
just a quick question if they do this movie will magneto have the bigger role or will it be equal with xavier as well.

"Fox/Marvel are obviously gearing up for an X-Men onslaught over the next couple of years."

Dont understand english that much, but does the above sentence mean that in the future we can expect the villain onslaught to appear if so how will they manage to defeat him (unless they do a cross over with hulk,fantastic four as they and a few others were the ones that eventually defeated onlsaught i think) as he is very powerful. cheers

Shadow_King
i think magneto will have a bigger role of course.

TheFilmProphet
I agree

The film will most likely start with him as a 12-14 year old and then work itself up to the point or age where he meets Charles Xavier.

Shadow_King
yep your right.

buffymitch
I think this movie good be a great one. At the beginning of X-men you see hoe real MAgneto's world becomes . Brian Singer did such a good job. That moment in MAgneto's life triggerd his mutation. IT would be fun to see how it further manifests itself in the war. I mean A secand world war blended in An X-men storyline. It would be realistic and ther could be historical references. It could be oscar worthy. You know kind of the dram war movie with MAgneto. It just sounds so cool.

Shadow_King
i think if BS would direct the film i think it could be good but he isnt soo its gonna be a flop.

LISA-J
A magneto movie doesn't sound all that interesting to me,is he even that popular with the none comic readers to warrant a spin-off-I don't think so.I'd much rather see a x-4 and possibly x-5 to expand on the x-men themselves-not wolvy or mags.

Shadow_King
omg X-5 !!!!!! thats too many x-men films.

gls
that wouldn't be too many if they did them right...but they could mess it up. but if they do them great they could end up being like bond films and go to at least number 20.
I think Cable, Gambit, and rogue could have there own movies as well.

Shadow_King
ya but then same with spiderman and blade and superman and batman..... i think the x-men films are gonna be a triligoy

TheFilmProphet
I doubt we will even be interested in X-Men films anymore by then, you know with the memory loss and Friday night Bingo keeping us busy at the old nursing home.

Shadow_King
ok... TFP made no sense their too me..... but i think X-men can never be like bond films making aboot 20 films... or godzilla.

TheFilmProphet
I was just trying to say that we would be really OLD by the time they even get across 20 X-Men films. It was suppose to be funny, but it turned out to be confusing instead.

Shadow_King
well i got confused... maybe the others wont.

TheFilmProphet
Maybe wink

Anyway, I wonder if they will introduce anyother characters from the X-Universe in the Magneto spin-off.

Shadow_King
well all i know they would intro Professor X thats all no other mutants because he didnt meet any other mutants on his path to becoming who he is now.

TheFilmProphet
What about his kids??

Shadow_King
Nope they would not make an appearance because this film leads up too when he turns bad guy right???

TheFilmProphet
I'm not sure, they are still writing it.

blueysgirl82
If they are going to do a Magneto Movie, the best way to do it would be start when he was in the Nazi Camp, and go on from there. But also intro His kids Quicksiliver and the Scarlet Witch.

this had nothing to do with Magneto but wasn't quicksiliver in the first one, playing basketball?????

Noah
a NC one, it could be good, but if they involve the relationship between him and Mystique and Rogue then it will be better

Shadow_King
No....because quicksilver had never joined the x-men.... but in wvolution he was one of the basket-ball players when you first see his character.

fruits
i dunno how good it'll be, but i guarantee ill go see it! a darker kind of movie focused on magneto's younger days and when he first discovered his mutant powers could be a movie worth seeing

Shadow_King
i dont think it will be a dark film....

fruits
i know, but im saying if it was, it could be the best marvel film ever made. but if not, it will probably just be another marvel movie, but ill see it no matter what

Shadow_King
i dont know i would argue on that point... that if it was a dark film it would be good marvel film....

fruits
well, i dunno about "a good marvel film," like, a film taht represents the comic perfectly, but the kinda "good marvel film" like the punisher. everyone liked to watch it cuz, well lets face it, punisher is badass and kicks some major ass in the film. if they make magneto into some badass killer guy who figures out crazy ways to use his powers and kill people, it would be bad because it didnt match the comics, but it would be good because it would bring in more people. i really dont care what they do with it, im not a critic. as long as they just dont totally butcher his character or something

RoguePw25
I can't believe this! Not another X-men Spin-off! And WHY Magneto?

Ugh .. .this is frustrating..............

eleveninches
Magneto only used his powers for evil against the civilians for the first time (against civilians) when he was married and had a child (anya). She was caught inside his house when it was set on fire, and the villiagers stopped him from going in to save her, resulting in her burning to death. Then he used the full force of his powers to destroy the villagers. This was BEFORE wanda and pietro

Shadow_King
i know what you mean... i think wolverine is a good enough spin off.

norrin radd
exactly it could be great.

Shadow_King
but who cares aboot magneto.... he was in concentration camps but then liberated from them and then he meets professor x then he becomes bad guy thats all whats going to happen really

pr1983
whoa, so this is going to be a five minute movie stick out tongue?

Shadow_King
You know what i mean.

pr1983
but it'll be more than that... we'll get to see what turned him into the man he is today...

Shadow_King
omg you know what turned him into the man he is today.

pr1983
yes, but i'd still like to see it on screen (plus wanda and pietro'll be cool...)

Shadow_King
but they would only show them as little babies they would not show them as they grow up.

pr1983
never know, they could stick them in at one point...

Shadow_King
ya true.

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

Me too! smokin'

fruits
im actually really looking forward to seeing this movie! itll be the first big marvel movie focused around a villain

Shadow_King
yep you are correct.

TheFilmProphet
true cool

Shadow_King
cool.

TheFilmProphet
yeah I thought it would be smokin'

Another for the soon to be film of two old friends turned old foes.

Shadow_King
i cant read it good.

TheFilmProphet
Its in another language wink

Shadow_King
ohhh ok.

TheFilmProphet
ok

eleveninches
MAgneto actually was peaceful and believed in humanity (even after his experience during ww2), until his daughter was killed, and he was prevented from saving her.

LISA-J
Yeah but there are better an more interesting marvel villians,to base a movie on.Mags past and his reasoning where already pretty much sumed up in x-1,I won't be seeing it,it just don't sound all that interesting.

norrin radd

Shadow_King
well magneto's past was not just sumed up with him being sent to the concentration camps a lot of other stuff happened after that will also contribute to magneto being a villian.

Shadow_King
and also i just figured out that they are gonna show wolverine.

GCG
reading some of Magneto's history, it sounds pretty cool.

and

taken from here

Shadow_King
cool.

RoguePw25
Exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love X-men but I think they have some other characters that would do a much "better" job at a spin off.

The Magneto Movie. .. . .I dunno. Nothing's really "clicking" for me. The guy's kind of old, not that that has anything to do with it and such, but I keep picturing this movie with the cartoon Magneto in the Animated Series. embarrasment

Shadow_King
but now i think magneto can be a good spin off of x-men.

TheFilmProphet
ALL very good points.

Shadow_King
but the one point is wolverine is gonna be involved with magneto.

Shadow_King
i heard ian mckellen was not gonna play as magneto... which makes sense.

TheFilmProphet
Hopefully,

When and if it happens it should be very interesting.

The original article said that they weren't sure if Ian would be in the film at all because the story revolved around his younger years.

Shadow_King
ya so he should not be in it.

TheFilmProphet
Depends on how far they go in the telling of Magneto's life, if they go far enough then we might get to see Ian towards the end of the film.

Shadow_King
maybe...

TheFilmProphet
yeah wink

TheFilmProphet
Here are the results so far for a poll being held at http://www.superherohype.com/index.php

Do you like the idea of a "Magneto" X-Men spin-off movie?

It's cool, the movie might be interesting 34.1%

I don't think it's a great idea 30.0%

It's awesome news! Looking forward to it 22.9%

Are they joking? That's horrible news! 13.0%

Total votes: 7227

Shadow_King
well thats great... i think.

TheFilmProphet
It looks kind of split in my oppinion.

Half of the people think its a good idea and half of them think its a decent idea. (my oppinion)

Shadow_King
well i wanna know who is gonna direct this film.

TheFilmProphet
Magneto

Magneto Starring:
To Be Announced

Magneto Director:
To Be Announced

Magneto Written By:
Sheldon Turner

Magneto Distributed by:
20th Century Fox

http://thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/m/magneto.htm

Thats all I got so far SK. wink

Shadow_King
whos the writer???

TheFilmProphet
Its in my post above yours, but anyways here it is again, Sheldon Turner.

Shadow_King
i know that.. i mean.. is he a rookie or has he wrote other stuff for like tv shows and other movies??

TheFilmProphet
Here goes his info,

Writer - filmography

1. Untitled Texas Chainsaw Massacre Prequel (2006) (announced)
2. Breathtaker (2005) (announced)
3. By Virtue Fall (2005) (announced)
4. Pursuit (2005) (announced) (screenplay)
5. The Longest Yard (2005) (filming)
6. The Amityville Horror (2005) (post-production) (re-write)

Director - filmography

1. By Virtue Fall (2005) (announced)

Producer - filmography

1. By Virtue Fall (2005) (announced) (producer)

Shadow_King
ok this is gonna be bad.

TheFilmProphet
I hope not, there is still a good chance it will be good though.

TheFilmProphet
A poll update, http://www.superherohype.com/index.php

Do you like the idea of a "Magneto" X-Men spin-off movie?

It's cool, the movie might be interesting 33.7%

I don't think it's a great idea 30.1%

It's awesome news! Looking forward to it 22.7%

Are they joking? That's horrible news! 13.5%

Total votes: 8471

Shadow_King
well the film is gonna go right after X-3.

TheFilmProphet
I'm not 100% positive, but it think it will be,

X-Men 3: 2006

Wolverine: 2007

Magneto: 2008

Shadow_King
and thats it x-men franchise is over.

X-Blade
you think if done right they could all 3 end in a way to tie in with a X4?

TheFilmProphet
Its likely we will only see a few spin-offs after X3 and no sequel. wink

Unless of course if X3 breaks some records they might want to milk the franchise for its last drops and release an X4.

Shadow_King
nope.... wolverine and magneto will be aboot their past...

TheFilmProphet
Its possible.........

TheFilmProphet
Yeah true

Shadow_King
what are you talking aboot... i dont think its possible.

TheFilmProphet
I read the post to fast and just posted a reply because you posted twice like in 1 minute.

Shadow_King
oh sorry.

X-Blade
The reason I asked is think of it this way, Magneto's movie will deal with his past and friendship with Xavier and could end with them together at the X-Mansion, while with Wolverine's solo flick could have him return to the Mansion as well with a teaser to X 4, just a thought.

TheFilmProphet
its cool, I found one more poll here http://vote.sparklit.com/poll.spark?pollID=880103

MAGNETO: The Movie? What do you think about this?

I Like It! (147) 48%
I Hate It! (52) 17%
Not Sure! (107) 35%
Other (1) 0%

Shadow_King
i would vote not sure.

TheFilmProphet
I think the Magneto film would probably have a teaser to X4 (if there is a X4) because it will be released after the Wolverine film.

Shadow_King
i dunno... maybe... X3 would have to be a big hit. but back on too magneto.... so would they be showing... when magneto travelled to the savage land???

TheFilmProphet
* A very big hit, almost like Spidey

* I don't know about that because the budget would have to be pretty big for something like that and I don't see a very big budget going for the Magneto film right now.

Shadow_King
yep but it would be kick ass if they did show the savage land.

TheFilmProphet
It all depends on the budget though.

It would be interesting to see Quicksilver and Scarlet as babies or kids in the film as well.

Shadow_King
ya that would be cool.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah and it would be interesting to see how they are all seperated from eachother.

Shadow_King
well the brother and sister werent seperated... or do you mean magneto seperated from quick and scarlett???

TheFilmProphet
Yeah

Shadow_King
oh ok..

TheFilmProphet
I think they should take notes from the 90's X-Men toons where they displayed the early relationship between Magnus and Charles very nicely.

Shadow_King
ya of course.

TheFilmProphet
I think the Spider-Man films did this with the 90's toons as well, it just makes the films better when you put in different elements from the comics and toons.

I don't really think that any of the X-Men films have done this yet so it will be interesting to see it done in a Magneto spin-off.

Shadow_King
yep we will just have to wait for like aboot 3 more years.

TheFilmProphet
yeah, I hope its worth the wait though and the same goes for X3 and Wolvie.

Shadow_King
well i dodnt really care for wolverine as it because... i really despise him.

TheFilmProphet
Too bad. wink

He is actually my favorite character in the Marvel universe.

Shadow_King
and pr hates that guy so much... i just dont like him because of all the hype he gets and stuff... it pisses me off. and all the screen time he got in the films.

TheFilmProphet
I just enjoy the character, not because of the media blitz he gets, but because I find his character intriguing in many ways.

He has never enjoyed the company of a woman that truly loves him or doesn't leave him after short periods of time.

He knows nothing of his past.

He trusts nobody.

He keeps to himself and works alone, is lonely, wild, helpless, never reveals his true feelings, is in love with a woman he will never be with. As well as countless other reasons.

Shadow_King
and the reasons you explained i dont like him... except i like his past thats all really.

TheFilmProphet
I like him because I feel like I can relate to him in some ways.

Shadow_King
thats what everyone says.. but meh who am i too judge.. now lets get back to the topic.... magneto and his movie.

TheFilmProphet
Well I don't know about everyone else, but I do really relate with him.

Anyways, I wonder who would be playing the love interest in the film.

Shadow_King
some younge actress most likely.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>