death or life what would u choose?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

liltiggasmootay
i think the death penalty is dumb, they give u a stupid needle and u die....wow u really learn your lesson. If i was guilty of something really bad like murder, I rather get a needle and get life over with then sit in jail the rest of my life. death row is the easy way out with no pain but a prick in the arm. I think people like that should have to rot and die in jail, getting raped and beat, thats way more of a lesson to the sickos out there then a little prick in the arm.

Afro Cheese
I believe death row is much worse than life in jail. Don't get me wrong, jail sucks, but at least if you live your life out in jail you do get to live. You live your life in a limited manner and I'm sure you're constantly looking over your shoulder.. but I don't think there can be anything worse than living in a jail for years on death row knowing the only reason you are there is to be put to death. Physically the death isn't painful but I would imagine that mentally it is terrifying and emotionally it is devastating.

liltiggasmootay
i think they should have to be terrified and emotional and be devastated for the rest of there life, instead of just a few years. can't be anything worse than living in a jail for your intire life knowing the only reason you are there is to rot and die and that everyone hates u and no one loves you or gives a **** about u. i just think its a worst punishment.

Afro Cheese
Yeah well it's all a matter of opinion. All I know is if I had to choose for myself between life in prison or the death sentence I would definitely choose life in prison.

liltiggasmootay
yeah im not saying your wrong, everyone has a right to there own opinion.

SlipknoT
I'd much rather die by lethal injection than spend the rest of my life sitting in a jail cell

Arachnoidfreak
There's already a death penalty thread.

Dazzler619
They always say that death is too easy.

KidRock
I would take life in jail.. better chance of escape.

emily
I dont think that they have a death penalty in england do they?

Clovie
i don't know.

it would sux to live all your life in the preason..
but on the other hand i would be still having hope about getting amnestion or sumfin erm
so no idea.

eleveninches
putting them in jail for life means that they will never have to work again, and that their food, heating, accommodation, electricity, etc....will all be paid for by the taxpayer, which would cost more than the victims family would get in compensation. Kill them, and they are not as much of a burden on the taxpayer's money.

Imperial_Samura
True, the death penalty exists, supposedly, for those that are beyond any chance of rehabilitation, and whose crimes are of such severity no other punishment is seen sufficient. As such, while life might seem like a nicer or worse alternative, it would still be considered a waste as the person in question could perhaps be considered a lost cause. Not sure if I completely agree but there is some logic to it.

Storm
As taxpayer, it costs you far more to execute an individual than it would to incarcerate for life without parole.

Jackie Malfoy
I would choose life over death anyday.I hope I don't die until I am inleast old and gray.JM

Imperial_Samura
"As taxpayer, it costs you far more to execute an individual than it would to incarcerate for life without parole."

Not sure, here in Australia at least, without the death penalty, a person who had no hope of parole, and who spent the last 30 years in jail, could end up costing over half a million dollars, if not more...

WindDancer
Agree, and this topic is redundant and repetitive. Some people approve it (like me) other people don't approve it. Everyone has their reasons and honestly neither side outbalance the other. I support it and I'm going to leave it at that.

Linkalicious
The death penalty is the sh!t, but I wish they used more methods of killing people. A firing squad would be nice, or maybe feeding the criminal to a pack of wild, hungry pigs. The chair was cool, and so was a good old fashion hanging.

If a criminal does something to deserve the death penalty, they should be placed on death row and not given any idea as to when they are to be killed. Leave the date of their execution open so that the criminal spends the remaining days/months/years of his life fearing what may come the next day. Don't tell him when he's going to die because then it's just a matter of counting down the days until the inevitable.

The Omega

Linkalicious
The whole US doesn't support the death penalty...only certain states. In California you have to have done something like murder 2 people within a 3 year period of time just in order to be eligable for the death penalty.

This whole thread is obviously in direct relation to the recent verdict on the Scott Peterson trail. They submitted the slaying of his unborn child as the 2nd murder and it worked.

Well, there's that and the fact that the sick f**k cut the baby out of the woman's body....

I'd be the executioner only if I was not to be held legally accountable for the murder of the criminal. Morally I could give a rats ass about anyone that has done something bad enough to deserve the death penalty. It's not a matter of whether or not I would be the executioner....it's more a question of whether or not I'd enjoy it...

WindDancer
Agree with ya there Link. And if the state were to appoint me executioner.....heck! If it is for Peterson, I'll do it for free! Would I get a kick out of doing? No, but is something that has to be done. And someone has to do it. From what I heard the lethal injection cost around $75.00 to make. Sounds cheaper than to have a two-time murderer in jail for the rest of his/her life.

***S***
An eye for an eye is never a good way of viewing penance.

But, then again, who is to say that life in jail is really punishment? Look at Paul Bernardo. He raped and killed two girls with his girlfriend Carla Holmolka (sp), and he is stewing in prison right now. He is in solitary confindment and has cable TV. I am a free man and I dont have cable.

It is a grey area, and I am undecided.

Scarpa
agreed

Storm
Financial Facts About the Death Penalty

***S***
It costs money to kill people too.

Scarpa
Even thou I would rather take life in prison I would probally escape

emily
Why us tax payers have to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds to keep a murderer or rapist in prison who live a better life in there than alot of people do on the outside. Half of these criminals are released to re-offend why let that happen KILL THEM! Use the money towards the victim(s)

Lord Shadow Z
I vote for the death penalty because its flawed logic keeping a whole wing of rapists, child molestors, murderers and god knows what else sitting in cosy cells together.

emily
Totally agree!
Get shot of the f***ers

Afro Cheese
Not everyone who goes to death row is guilty.

FeceMan
I am pro-death penalty. (Duh.) If I had to choose between life and death, I would probably take life in prison as long as it wasn't like the Shawshank Redemption--and I'm not saying that for comic relief; I'm saying that because I don't particularly fancy the idea of rape and beatings.

And not everyone who goes free isn't not guilty. (What a peculiar sentence...)

Afro Cheese
Yeah guilty criminals walk free.. what's your point? That doesn't have anything to do with the prisoners who didn't do the crime but are put to death anyway due to the justice system's flaws rather than their own actions. I hate seeing guy's who did the crime get off too.. but that has no relevance to what I was saying.

FeceMan
I apologize, but this deserves a "lol" despite its otherwise serious tone. Lol.

Not everyone who goes to death row is guilty, just as not everyone who is guilty goes to death row. (It is the opposite of what you said.) Mistakes are made, yes, which is terrible, but today, mistakes are less likely what with the DNA and the polygraph being overruled and whatnot...

Afro Cheese
Yeah I realize that but I feel that putting people to death is too risky because you could be executing an innocent person. Somebody getting away with a crime just helps prove my point that the justice system isn't perfect and can't be trusted with people's lives.

Lord Shadow Z
Yes but say the evidence is completely without doubt as to whether a person has committed a serious offence against society such as murder, or rape then they should expect to be given the ultimate punishment. Death. There shouldn't be a whole system that employs the idea that a rapist who has destroyed some womans life should be set free and given a whole new life as another person. Our murderers and rapists are given endless leverage to mess around with our flawed system because they are still breathing (and in most cases their victims aren't) and they eventually get out because we have a system that lets them re-offend and theres no fear because they are used to prison, and don't mind going back because they know theres no other punishment that the British Government has but prison. Human rights? these animals have no rights when you consider the things they do and the total lack of remorse they show, so burn the mother****ers I say.

emily
like my dad says if you cant do the time dont do the crime!

Afro Cheese
I'm not saying they deserve a new life. They should go to prison and never return. But I'm saying until the system is perfect, which is most likely never will be, innocent people are going to be executed for crimes they didn't commit as long as we have the death penalty. That's not something I'm cool with. If we knew for sure 100% what crimes everyone did/didn't commit, I really wouldn't care about the death penalty.

FeceMan
This makes me want to watch Minority Report.

Afro Cheese
Was that the movie where they stopped the murders before they happen? I saw that in school.. confused the hell out of me.

FeceMan
Yeah, it dealt with precognition.

Fiery Eyes
Prisons need to change drasticly, for prison terms to help. I don't like the death penalty, but prison is too easy right now. I mean come on, cable TV?? They need to go back to the ball and chain, make their butts work!!! Make prison make a difference in their lives, thats the reason we are suppose to have prisons, but anymore it's just a home away from home. I'm sure there are prisons that are tough, but more are easy.

Afro Cheese
That is something I hear a lot.. people think that prisoners live in luxury. I can't say anything from first hand experience, fortunately, but I'd be willing to bet that prisons are a terrible place to live and much worse than many of you are picturing.

Imperial_Samura
True, true. No matter how nice a cell is, its still a cell. From the elective course of criminal law at uni one learns there are basic functions that a jail is meant to achieve. Prison, or any punishment, is meant to a. rehabilitate, b. punish and achieve a sense of retribution, c. allow the crim to pay of social debt d. protect society...

Now, the death penalty exists if a, b and c are impossible, but d exists...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.