The Acadamy Awards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToMacco
They're on in a few hours! Anyone else going to watch them? Any predictions? I think this year, more than any in the past, it is wide open. Any category is pretty much wide open.

These are some of my predicitons (note, I don't think these are who SHOULD win, just those who will win.)

Best Supporting Actor: Ian McKellon
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Connley
Best Actor: Denzel Washington
Best Actress: Sissy Spacek
Best Score: Lord of the Rings
Best Animated Film: Shrek (this is the only award I'm CERTAIN of)
Best Director: Ron Howard
Best Picture: A Beautiful Mind

Edna Witch
I think Harry potter will be a close run for best score!

keokiswahine
GREAT, now I wont' hafta watch it. Will you please post the results here, To? I'm 5 hours behind everyone, so I won't have a clue what's going on, and I don't really want to watch the whole thing tonight, unless you tell me, it's so fantabulous, I hafta set my home chores aside to watch it.

Dim
Hmmmmm...it's all drizzly..looks like they might get rained on.... I'm gonna watch em.. It's supposed to start at 5 I think.

Edna Witch
Yeah can someone post it please because people like me who don't have a TV would really like to know! Award by award would be nice. The nominees AND the winner!

Raz
If I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, I would probably be sad enough to actually watch it at 1am in the morning!

Edna Witch
well no doubt I shall still be up then reading notes. Shame I don't have a tv though! sad

LadyEowyn
how could you live with no TV???!!!!
well on the brite side...you dont get as much radiation...

Raz
Its wise not to have one, while you're studying wink

keokiswahine
To will be glad to bring all this great info to us, right? To?

LadyEowyn
but i could never live without my 6:00 spongebob

Edna Witch
TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!

Dim
Well, I didn't think Halle Berry was ever going to stop crying.. laughing out loud And I'm soooooooooooooo glad Russell Crowe didn't get Best Actor..Yay for Denzel! rolling on floor laughing

Here's the list:

ACTOR -- LEADING
Denzel Washington
TRAINING DAY

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING
Jim Broadbent
IRIS

ACTRESS -- LEADING
Halle Berry
MONSTERS BALL

ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
Jennifer Connelly
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
SHREK
Aron Warner

ART DIRECTION
MOULIN ROUGE
Catherine Martin (Art Direction) and Brigitte Broch (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
LORD OF THE RINGS
Andrew Lesnie

COSTUME DESIGN
MOULIN ROUGE
Catherine Martin and Angus Strathie

DIRECTING
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Ron Howard

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
MURDER ON A SUNDAY MORNING
Jean-Xavier de Lestrade
and Denis Poncet

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
THOTH
Sarah Kernochan and Lynn Appelle

FILM EDITING
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Pietro Scalia

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
NO MAN'S LAND
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Directed by Danis Tanovic

MAKEUP
LORD OF THE RINGS
Peter Owen and
Richard Taylor

MUSIC (SCORE)
LORD OF THE RINGS
Howard Shore

MUSIC (SONG)
MONSTERS, INC.
"If I Didn't Have You"
Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

BEST PICTURE
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Brian Grazer and Ron Howard

SHORT FILM -- ANIMATED
FOR THE BIRDS
Ralph Eggleston

SHORT FILM -- LIVE ACTION
THE ACCOUNTANT
Ray McKinnon and Lisa Blount

SOUND
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Michael Minkler, Myron Nettinga and Chris Munro

SOUND EDITING
PEARL HARBOR
George Watters II and Christopher Boyes

VISUAL EFFECTS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS
Jim Rygiel, Randall William Cook, Richard Taylor and Mark Stetson

WRITING (ADAPTED)
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Written by Akiva Goldsman

WRITING (ORIGINAL)
GOSFORD PARK
Written by Julian Fellowes

LanceWindu
Yay for Shrek!

ToMacco
I got two of my predictions wrong (Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor).

No surprise that Washington beat Crowe. They don't want the back to back thing.

When Halle Barry won, I KNEW Washington would win. It was kind of a tribute to African American show.

The best movie and best director won, so I'm happy with this years show.

Plus, my boy showed up to present Best Picture. rolling on floor laughing

finti
So the corrupted industry celebrated themselves yet again, Washington was rather good in Training day though

queeq
Very politically correct, these Oscars. But okay. Not bad choices I guess.

Gundark
Didn't watch em. Award shows bore me to death. Caught the highlights on CNN.

King Jedi
What's the big deal about Halle Berry winning? She's the first black actress to win but I can't think of any other black actresses who deserved to win in the past. confused

They were talking as if there was some conspiracy against black actresses. Was there?

queeq
There was Whoopie Goldberg in The Color Purple.

King Jedi
Who beat her?

yerssot

Gundark
Was she only nominated ? I thought Whoopie had won that one.

Texas
Whoppi won for best supporting actress.
Wasn't she funny last night? rolling on floor laughing

I'm glad Russel Crowe didn't win, rude prick!!

FLIPMODE
Originally posted by ToMacco
I'll bet you a thousand dollars he doesn't win Best Actor for Training Day.

These were ToMacco's words to me almost exactly 3 months ago in the thread titled "Oscar Predictions"...*ahem* now you were saying?

I'll take my thousand in small bills please.

WOOHOOO DENZEL WASHINGTON! I told you his performance was the Best. It's just unfortunate many people did'nt see this movie. I'ts really not your AVERAGE undercover cop movie. It's waaay better. The movie is Flawless, and you even catch yourself caring for Denzel's Character, but he's pretty much evil wrapped up in a socially positive package. Best performance of his career next to Malcom X. The DVD came out this Tuesday, I hope all who did'nt see it Pick this DVD up. I can say this, If you bought the Momento DVD, and liked it, then You'll LOVE this movie. Just because it's better than Momento, dont expect to see a backwards movie, just a better one.

ToMacco, dont run from the truth.
rolling on floor laughing smokin'

ToMacco
No, you were right. He won, and I (at first) didn't think he had a chance. My hat is off to you, FLIPMODE.

But he didn't win because he was the best performace. He is long overdue to win Best Actor. Crowe (in my opinion) gave the best performace. Followed by Sean Penn, then Tom Wilkinson.

The Oscars have a history of giving it to the overdue nominee. Look at Randy Newman last night. He had been nominated 16 times, and finally won last night. But that song he wrote for Monsters Inc. was not the best.

Last year, Julia Roberts . . . I don't even have to say anything abou that. And also last year Russell Crowe beat Tom Hanks. Crowe lost the year before to Kevin Spacy. So they gave Crowe the Oscar over Hanks. But do you really think Russell Crowes stiff performace as a hardened slave/general was better than Tom Hanks brilliant transformation from clock watching man in charge, to a man isolated for four years, and he kind of loses his mind.

Denzel Washington is a great actor, and he was even good in Training Day, but not better than Crowe or Penn. But I even predicted at the beginning of this thread that Washington would win.

This is just the way the Oscars work. It's pretty simple if you break it down, to predict who will win.

Raz
Maybe you should have used that theory in your prediction wink

I haven't seen the ceromony yet, its on tonight here. Anyway, I've heard Halle's speech a million times on the radio. What I don't understand is why she thinks this opens the doors for other non-white actors? Its only a bloody Oscar.

Gundark
And you're not allowed to sell the ones given out after 1951.

FLIPMODE
ToMacco, I'd agree with your logic, but there was absolutly no reason why Halle Berry should have won, except maybe her competition sucked. Because Halle was not due anything, and Frankly I dont think she deserves an Oscar.

Only Reason im 100% Sure that Denzel's performance was better then Crowe and the lot, was that, Denzel literally has never played a role like the one in Training Day. Contrary to what many may think, Denzel's never played the Bad guy before. Infact for Denzel fans, this was a shocking roll. And you have to be able to pay close attention to what he's done over the many years to see what he's accomplished with this performance. Films: "Mo Betta Blues", The Pelican Brief, Steven Beeko, Malcom X, Devil in a Blue Dress, The Hurricane, The Mighty Quinn, Philidelphia, *Glory*( roll eyes (sarcastic) ), John Q, The Bone Collector, even crappy films like: Virtuosity, and Richochet. (Poor attempts at the action genre from him). In all those movies, he was NOT a villain, but the savior in some way.

Then along comes Training Day, he's always been Oscar Caliber, but now with this Change up, he show's he has Range. So he's the lead actor, yet the lead is evil, and played flawlessly by Denzel, and you just love the Character. It takes alot to Make the audience LOVE, a character you should HATE soo much. And that's why he won this Oscar.

If that is pulled off, it will beat most normal lead roles everytime.

queeq
Nope, she won Supporting Actress for ghost. If you think she won for The Color Purple, why would Halle Berry be the first colored woman to win the Oscar?
In that year (1985) the winner was:
Geraldine Page as Mrs. Watts in The Trip to Bountiful

Gundark
*smacks forehead*

Okay. I was marching in the wrong band today. stick out tongue

queeq
No probs. Nothing a good spanking can't solve. evil face

Gundark
Oh Gomez......it isn't even a special occasion.....

queeq
Anything for you, dear. *lights cigar*

ToMacco
Still, my favorite part of the night was when Tom Hanks came out of nowhere to present Best Picture.

queeq
A white boy to do the most important bit, eh? wink

ToMacco
That color thing is rediculous. It's 2002, can't we forget the color of skin, and just say "you did a good job, here's the award"?

Texas
When you consider that only 3% of Academy Award winners are African Americans, 'the color thing' doesn't seem too ridiculous.

There are not enough serious parts out there for African Americans. All the roles are either in comic movies, or histoic slave/segregation movies. It's a shame really.

I'm agree with ToMacco when it comes to Crowe deserving the best actor award. His performance was the best!
But I hate Crowe and am glad that he didn't win, even though he deserved it.
But he did not deserve to win for Gladiator! What a joke!!
So I guess everything works out nicely! cool

ToMacco
Thank you, Tex smile

queeq
Didn't Crowe basically lose because of his arrogance?

Dim
I think the voting was done before too much of the backlash had started in..

As for the color thing.. Tex is right..minorities are still kept from alot of roles. IT's just a plain and simple fact.

queeq
Crowe's been arrogant since.... well, quite a while really.

finti
and the oscar thing is a fraud

Gundark
Dim is right. The lack of major roles for minorities will probably continue for a long time.

Although any person "known" in show business can go through a down-up-down transition.

Like:

1. "Who's Harrison Ford ?"
2. "Get me Harrison Ford !"
3. "Get me a Harrison Ford type"
4. "Who's Harrison Ford ?"

yerssot
Who are you?

ToMacco
There arn't enough black directors or black writers in Hollywood, so we have very little leading black roles.

Gundark
At least we had Billy Dee Williams.

ToMacco
rolling on floor laughing

Whatever happened to him?

Gundark
There was a good article on him in the last SW insider. If you're interested, I'll scan it and send it to you.

yerssot
he went to Cloud City

ToMacco
If you would be so kind smile

yerssot
I'm always kind

Gundark
Will have to scan it when I get home. Will get it to you later tonight or tomorrow morning.

ToMacco
Right on.

queeq
Last time I saw Billy Dee was when he was flying inside the DS2. Don't know if he made it though.

ToMacco
Yeah, they killed him in the new special edition.

Gundark
WHAT ????????????????????? eek! eek! eek!

yerssot
He said they killed him in the new special edition...

Well, originally it was planned in RotJ but didn't go, making Han's feeling "like I'm never going to see her again" true

queeq
He survived?????? Well, the organisation of the last Oscars will be so pleased with politically correct style of filmmaking.

Gundark
I saw ANH and ESB special editions but never ROTJ.

THEY BLEW UP THE FALCON ???? That's ridiculous.

queeq
Could have added some drama to it.

yerssot
Gundark, in the original script from 1981 (I think it was) the MF got burned, but in the original movie and the SE it's very clear that they survive

queeq
Oh really???? And Lando arriving at that Ewok party didn't give that away, eh? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gundark
You know yerss is getting serious when he uses my full name.

I know all that silly. I said I hadn't seen the special edition. stick out tongue

yerssot
that was actually Lando's evil twin brother, Lancos Calrissian, it's explained in the novelisation stick out tongue

Gundark
Of course. It all makes sense now. laughing out loud

yerssot
indeed!
Reminds me of Han's evil twin roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
This is where you kill him, Gundy dear. big grin

yerssot
what? I told the truth for once!

finti
no one belives the truth, it is out there somewhere though

yerssot
*starts humming the x-files theme*

Gundark
*waves ufo over toward yerssot to pick him up*

queeq
*activates tractor beam*

Gundark
*studies alien implants*

Ooooooo.....they look real painful.
http://216.40.201.240/s/cwm/alien/smile.gif

queeq
Better remove them in likewise manner. evil face

yerssot

Gundark
*gives Tex a new t-shirt that says "aliens-please pick me up" *

queeq
He's going wild. Take them out now!

Gundark
No way.

*attaches Death Star-size electrodes*

I've hardly begun.

queeq
*Han Solo voice* This is where the fun begins.

Gundark
*waits for thunderstorm*

queeq
*waves aluminiun plates to make thunder noises*

ToMacco
*queeq gets struck by lightning*

Gundark
That'll do.

*Hooks up Coruscant's main power supply to yerssot.*

You may want to take a step or two back.

yerssot
*cuts cables*
not with me sister's mother's niece's former roommate!

queeq
*puts on radiation suit*

Gundark
Close the blast doors.

queeq
*closes blast doors*

ToMacco
*throws thermal detonator at yers*

Gundark
That will make him comfortable.

queeq
*shoves detonator in yerssot's mouth and runs*

yerssot
Errr, perhaps it will work if you pushed the activation button...
anyway...
*throws detonator out the window*
open the doors

ToMacco
*holds up an umbrella*

This should be good.

queeq
He didn't push it either. roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
I'm a peacefull man, I do not need violance

queeq
You do, because you're annoying. big grin

Dim
Don't listen to queeq, yers..you're a nice boy. laughing out loud

queeq
Dim doesn't like conflicts. big grin

yerssot
You must be kidding,... I hope wink

Texas
Yers would really look nice infront of Tomaccos slapping machine!
It makes you look 10 pounds lighter yers! evil face

queeq
The dents would improve your looks greatly.

Dim
Looks like this one's done..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.