The End of Padme - Tragic to the Extreme

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

davesmolo
Padme's death needs to be a pinnacle tearjerker in the film...we've watched this character develop from monotone queen to a true woman looking to begin her family with the husband she loves so much.

Thus...her death needs to be one of the most tragic moments of the movie.
Let her have the babies and be happy...give the audience hope that she's going to be ok and begin a new life on Alderran.

Have a shot of her resting comfortably on the bed when we suddenly begin a flashback montage...beginning with the first time she and anakin ever laid eyes on eachother. I want EVERY SCENE as part of the flashback...I want to emcompass every possible moment of Anakin and Padme's relationship. Hold nothing back...

When the last shot is the one of Anakin choking her our or throwing her to the ground...let the emotions be too much for her, in her current state, to handle and she goes into shock.

Thus...in a way....Anakin DOES kill Padme

mtryder
I think she dies during childbirth, making a moment of resting comfortably in bed pretty unlikely. Which makes it more tragic in my eyes, since after all that she never even gets one moment with her children.

OB1-adobe

Eleonora
I personally don't think Anakin is capable of hurting her. Besides, I never liked the idea of "getting a new life", love beyond death is much more interesting.

.:Space Opera:.
oh yes he is! he'll kill her alright believe me!

Eleonora
I was always fond of tragic love. I adore Romeo & Juliet!!!

it will shadow that story a bit io believe

Naredhel
I think he meant

"It will SUPERSHADOW that story a bit"

bilbofett
A flashback montage? Ick!!! This is SW not some fluffy romantic comedy. The injuries inflicted by Anakin combined with the trauma of childbirth are what kill her. If you have kids you'd know that just dying before they are born or immedialtely thereafter is WAY tragic enough.

Ushgarak
(stomps up and down on flashback idea)

davesmolo
That's true...but you don't think watching the relationship (which was one of...if not THE key plot movement of AOTC) unfold before our eyes...as quick flashbacks in her head...Anakin striking her down as her final thought...

That doesn't encompass a spectacular finish???

"It will SUPERSHADOW that story a bit"

if you ever change my words around and stick the word supershadow in my quote again i will bend you over and spank your bare ass with a katana

Darth Subjekt
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....omfg space,,,i cant stop laughing.....please dont turn this into a SS discussion..we all know he sucks wookie nuts, so let this man share his ideas..most of them are really good....except flashbacks arent apart of SW.

Space, youre killing me dog. funny funny.

ArthasKnight
I don't think Anakin kills Padme, unless this has been confirmed and I missed it. 'Cause Leia said that Padme dies when Leia is "very young" so I assumed that Padme was around for a bit after giving birth to Luke and Leia. Maybe after Anakin is Vader-ized, Padme thinks Anakin's dead and that's when we remember that Leia says "She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad."

My two cents.

Ushgarak
Yes yes, long old discussion about the technical impossibllity of Padme's death due to that ROTJ line that has been talked about to death here- but fact is, it is looking more and more likely that she will die on-screen, way before Leia could have remembered her, in spite of that.

cornponious
And that sucks.

corn

ArthasKnight
Indeed. Yet another lack of continuity between trilogies.

Ushgarak
You can bet someone will say "but Leia has super Force memories", having forgotten that on that basis Luke would remember her as well, before this is done.

ArthasKnight
Not sure what you mean there, Ush. Explain?

schill142
It means GL didn't think everything through.

How can Leia have memories of Padme and Luke does not? Two explanations:

1. Padme gives birth to Leia, dies with her daughter in her arms, and then gives birth to Luke post mortum or Luke is surgically delievered.

2. Leia sensed her mother and has memories of her while she was in the womb.

The latter notion is rubish because Luke would have had the same memories.

Ushgarak
People often try to tie up continuity in that line by saying that Leia rememebrs her mother from the firs few minutes of her life, or whatever, due to the Force. But as pointed out, then Luke would as well- and he directly specifies that he has no such memories.

i think that lucas will find a cool way to explain that.

ArthasKnight
Or rather he'll think it's cool, whereas we'll look at it and think, ".....WTF?!" laughing

jedijunky1138
I have yet to see confirmation the Padme dies on screen. Why cant it be possible that she is injured severely but lives past the end of the movie? we would just roll into the OT knowing that she died during the twenty odd years between 3 & 4.

thats what i think junky. its very possible that lucas would do that

NoFate007
Padme is gonna die either on or off screen, but she will be dead by the end of the movie. Whether or not they'll show her in her last moment, or if they'll say she died off screen, she will die nonetheless. The way I'm hoping it goes is this:

Childbirth, Leia is born, Padme looks into her eyes and shares a tender moment, then convulses and Luke is being born. The droids or aliens, whoever acts as the doctor, get Obi-Wan/Yoda/Bail Organa, and tell them that there is another child being born. Then Luke is born and Obi-Wan holds Padme's hand, where she says something, possibly along the lines of "Protect young Luke and Leia, Obi-Wan.." Then she dies and her hand falls out of Obi-Wan's hand. And while her hand is falling, a sad piano version of the AOTC Love Theme plays, resembling how Vader's Imperial March was played when he died in ROTJ.

bilbofett
Flashback montage.... NO NO and HELL NO

IMO, Padme delivers Leia, holds her for a VERY short time then dies & Luke is born after Padme is dead (just as someone stated before). That explains, to me at least, why Leis has memories and Luke does not.

mtryder
Is it possible that Luke could actually be born first, but for some reason be separated from his mother before even getting a chance to see her? Then, Leia would come next and they'd share a few moments, maybe even hours, as Padme died of her injuries? Just trying to cover all the bases.

Ushgarak
It's not confirmed. This is not a done deal for the fans yet. It's just looking more likely.

"Is it possible that Luke could actually be born first, but for some reason be separated from his mother before even getting a chance to see her? Then, Leia would come next and they'd share a few moments, maybe even hours, as Padme died of her injuries? Just trying to cover all the bases."

Possible, though unsatisfactory, but the rumours we are hearing say different.

I am all for the rumours being wrong but we have to accept possibilities.

Batman316
I dunno........ and do I really want to know?

whatever happend it's gonna be a tear jerker.... yes even Batman my allow his eyes to water......

Ofcourse if the scene sucks then we can all whinge and complain about it later

Stunrun
hey OB1-adobe, dave is just giving us ideas to think about, he didnt get it from SS, he actually has an excelent imagination, like the Anakin's choice thread, and the post duel dialogue scenes between Yoda and Obi-Wan, and i would very much like to see these things happen in the moviewink

eXSBass
Star Wars doesn't do flashbacks.

davesmolo
Padme has been too significant a character (like it or not) to have her simply die off between triologies. There needs to be some sort of conclusion with her.

Telemicus
I thought it was common knowledge that Anakin force chokes her and throws her into a wall in a fit of rage, she then goes into labour and dies giving birth.

Or did i dream it?

I'm pretty sure thats what happens though... (er, as sure as you can be with no proof or memory of where you heard it...)

eleveninches
I hope theres a scene in which he has to choose between his love for padme and his loyalty to the republic (and palpy).

It would be good if she discovered him to be a sith, and was going to tell kenobi, so anakin needed to silence her, and didnt know the extent of his own powers, and ends up killing her

Silver Stardust
Ewww...flashback....

no i dont think that itll be that dramatic, lucas is more to the point.

DtH_AngL
I think that it will be sad - fear not....

I think that Luke will be born first and will be spirited away...I think Padme will hold Leia and the force will connect them....I'm willing to be GL will pull it off....

I'm also willing to bet the Anakin is inded the one to kill Padme - would be a great pivot point for Anakin...from just angry to completly angry and alone, save for Sidious....it would also give Anakin the ability ot have the soft spot for his kids that he has later in the series...thay are his only connection to Padme...if THEY had killed her (by being born...) then he might harbor a very deep seated hate of them....

"I think that Luke will be born first and will be spirited away...I think Padme will hold Leia and the force will connect them....I'm willing to be GL will pull it off...."

there has to be away that there's a small sequence of baby leia looking up into her mother's eyes and padme looking back at her with a sad face ("she was very beautiful, but sad...."wink, and that would mean that luke woudve been taken away first to give padme that chance to look at her. luke is prolly going to get taken away like right after birth by obi wan or something to be taken to tattoine, and maybe leia rides with padme to alderaan where padme gets killed in some way. i dont know, its all still up in the air for me.

"I think that Luke will be born first and will be spirited away...I think Padme will hold Leia and the force will connect them....I'm willing to be GL will pull it off...."

there has to be away that there's a small sequence of baby leia looking up into her mother's eyes and padme looking back at her with a sad face ("she was very beautiful, but sad...."wink, and that would mean that luke woudve been taken away first to give padme that chance to look

carnage04
Anyone think it's possible that Leia is remembering perhaps a foster mother such as Bail's wife? Perhaps she wasn't told at all about her heritage and untill the end, believed that she was not adopted. After all, she is Leia Organa, not Leia Skywalker. Luke wading around in some desert in the outer rim having an idea of his heritage isn't all that dangerous. Leia running around as a princess and fighting the empire is. Does it specifically state anywhere in the films that Leia knows that she is an orphan? In this case she could remember a "Mother" that was beautiful, sad, and dead that was not Padme.

sithsaber408
I agree with the post earlier.

She will probably have LEIA first, see her, talk to her, then die.

Luke would come out after.

It 's the only way to have ani kill her, have her arc completed, explain leia's and lukes dialouge:

"Just IMAGES, really, FEELINGS"

"I have no memory of my mother, I never knew her."

explains alot if she's already dead.

Ushgarak
No!!!

ROTJ specifies REAL mother! She is specifically not remembering her adopted one and talking of her real one, by extension of which she knows she is adopted.

...that would be bad writing skills if she did.

adam1985

bilbofett
WOW! That's amazing! That's fantastic! That's.......what we've known for a while.......

Phoenix2001
Has anyone here ever thought that perhaps Padme may not give birth? Think about it... you know how GL will have those years put between movies that are only mentioned, right? What the prequels are really focusing on is the fall of the Jedi Order and the Republic transforming into an Empire, nothing else.

Ushgarak
Yes, many many people have thought that over time. Point is that an increasing volume of evidence points towards her giving birth on-screen. This is rather the point.

bilbofett
We may not see a 'birth' scene per se, but the twins will be born before the movie ends. I'm not gonna go back & find each quote but its been stated that the twins are less than one month old at the end, that a crew member's baby was used during filming as the twins, and that while in Tunisa for Ep 2 they shot one scene for Ep 3 - of Obi (his double) at the Lars homestead after giving Luke to to Owen & Beru.

Phoenix2001
Oh... that's rather interesting...

Ushgarak
That's one word for it.

Well, we shall see how things emerge. It was always a good bet that the Twins would turn up; it's the 'Padme dying during the film' thing that throws a wrench into things.

Darth Subjekt
i read an old SW insider, and Peter Meyhew said that Chewie would play an important role in the delivery of the twins. So they are definitly born before the movie is over. Now im wondering what Chewie could possibly do to help that situation. Maybe Padme..."dies" to only Anakin, if you catch my drift. I dont want to start a rediculas rumor, but maybe its the same as Anakin to everyone else he's dead, except the people that are on a "need to know" basis. Like if Anakin is that far gone, finding Padme might be detrimental to the Rebellion....it could also explain Leia's memories of her. No flaming cause its just a thought, im not saying it might be a possibility.

bilbofett
The Peter Mayhew comments have been debunked. Chewie has NOTHING to do with the twins. Pabs shot this one down like a year ago...

Darth Subjekt
ok ...well i said old.....i just never heard that it was dismissed. Thank you though. I couldnt imagine that Chewie would have anything to do with that.

bilbofett
NP, I have no idea where Mayhew got that from. Seemed to me that the folks at LFL were not happy with him for saying that. Just IMHO.

5knuckleShuffle
heres how i can see it happen.

padme gives birth to luke first and ob1 takes him to tattoine.

be4 padme dies she gives birth to leia.

she looks at baby leia and dies.

this could explaine leia's memories and also why luke dosent know anything abought his mother. it's just a theroy

ccoo
Maybe she fakes her death, and though Vader, Emperor, and the audience thinks she is dead, they show her at the end of the movie with Leia, in seclusion, and sad for the rest of her life.

DenKi
Think about it.........Its GL last Starwars Movie, hes gonna put everything hes got in it becos tis the last one, So what ever happends its gonna be amazing

padme wanna be
I think palps will kill her and blame it on Anakin!!

Jedi-Knight 8k2
Palps dose not kill Padme bro..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

bilbofett
The latest 'spoiler' from Motee says she dies a direct result of childbirth...

hacksawfg
After reading the Vanity Fair JP posted in another thread, I'm curious if she will die around halfway through the movie. Sounds like Anakin wants to "sell his soul" to try to get the power to bring a loved one back. His mother would have been dead for a couple of years already, so he would have to go for it for someone else. The kids don't have to be born at the end of the movie, even if they are taken to Tatooine at the end. If this is an impetus to his turning, would it make sense for the death to happen earlier in the movie, or do people think Lucas will have all the emotional stuff at the end (Anakin vs. Kenobi duel, Padme death, twins birth, etc.)

Cipher
Can Natalie pull off an emotional death scene? She hasn't wowed me with her acting so far.......

Spectr4L
That sounds very plausible to me. Hopefully that's what actually happens.

*crosses fingers*

cylob49
So u aint seen Garden State,Leon or Closer????
Natalie will pull it off as long as Lucas allows her to.

bilbofett
Yeah well thats the real trick isnt it cylob? If GL let all of his amazing cast have a bit of flexibility then there would be ALOT less to find fault with in the PT.

Lyn
Don't they have the acting coach there now though? GL wants this one to be big emotionally, you'd hope he'd let the actors just act. I do agree there though Bilb.

smoker4
Lol all i ever hear GL say is faster, more intense, so a dialogue coach has to be a good thing smile smokin'

cylob49
Ewan Mcgregor- Trainspotting
Natalie Portman- Garden State
Hayden Christensen- Shattered Glass
Samuel L Jackson- Pulp Fiction
Christopher Lee-The Wicker Man
Jimmy Smitts- Nypd blue
Ian Mcdiarmid- Crime and punishment
Ahmed Best...............er...ok maybe NOT Ahmed Best!!

HOW CAN HE FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bilbofett
Yeah Smoker, the 'faster, more intense' order is fast becoming GL's official catchphrase. Which is so odd seeing as how the actinng in the OT is teh exact oppositte, very subtle most of the time.
But besides SW, that is the same reason GL gave for rejecting the last Indy 4 script, which IMO does not bode well for that franchise.....

smoker4
Yeah bilbs, i'm very worried about indy 4, but on ROTS he does have some brilliant actors especially natalie so i'm hopeful for the acting this time round! smokin'

whitewookie
Kinda proves how much attention there really paying to him doesn't it! roll eyes (sarcastic)

samhaine

Lord-Qel-Droma
that's very sad sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.