Blunkett Has Quit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Inkeeper
BLUNKETT FALLS ON SWORD

Skynews ^^

How do you feel about his resignation?

Jackie Malfoy
I know this sounds like a stupid question but who is Blunkett?JM

The Inkeeper
Ex Brittish Home Secretary

WindDancer
Isn't he one of Blair's top man? Will this change anything in the coming elections?

The Inkeeper
Yep, i think if he had stayed it would have been worse for Blair...

Plus, in the midst of all this emerging he actually released a book insulting alot of his colleaguesroll eyes (sarcastic)

fuct_up_kid
i didn't know he was blind until sunday...that's my fact for today messed

i don't know much about politics but i think with all the bad press about him lately it was pretty inevitable he was going to resign.

Ushgarak
That's what did for him, that last bit.

Hard man, Blunkett. Very hard. It was good odds he would tough it out. And yes, he was one of the top Labour crowd, and much as I did not like Blunkett as Education Secretary (too left wing) he was at least a man of talent and action; his replacement as Education Secretary (the aforementioned Charles Clarke) has been dull and insipid and I cannot see him doing a better job as Home Secretary.

Raz
I, for one, am VERY happy he's quit.

mechmoggy
His dog make you nervous?

Fire
did he resign over that visa thingy or was there something more serious envolved too?

Raz
No, his eyes shock

But seriously, the guy was like a totalitarian, drunk on power.

The Inkeeper
Why Raz?

Visa thing started the ball rolling, it was numerous things that did it :/

edit- Too late

finti
a politician in other words

Fire
okie good, cause if those visa things were the only things it was a stupid reason to leave

The Inkeeper
Cant believe he brought his book out in the middle of it laughing What a guy.

mechmoggy
There is no bad publicity.

Raz
No, the book is not his. Someone else wrote it and he gave the guy interviews.

The author is now pushing the book, trying to exploit the situation.

Fire
typical

mechmoggy
I'd do it.

Cha-ching!

baracustastic
I find it quite amusing.

I don't like Blair, and find it funny that the man he has given a shedload of backing in the last few weeks has been found out.

Ushgarak
It's still a shame in many ways though. This is a man who fought his way up to one of the most powerful positions in the land, starting from the absolute bottom. He was blind since birth and born in a time when facilities for the blind were virtually non-existant by modern standards. He had to fight every step of the way, and little wonder he was such a tough bastard. And he really did care for things, very deeply. He was always out meeting disadvantaged people and so on, and not for the publicity but because he was eager to represent their interests- probably the most left wing man in New Labour, even more so than Prescott.

There are not enough men of his character in Government. But as I say, I particularly disliked him in education and he was certainly pretty hardcore as Home Secretary. Bit of a nut really. But genuine and dedicated, and you cannot say that of a lot of politicians, even ones whose views I agree with.

Charles Clarke has said it will be a "Hard act to follow." Damn right- he hasn't got a chance.

shaber
They'll wheel Blunkett back in as they did with Mandelson. Anyone want to put out his eyes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.