Should Colossus and Northstar Hook-Up?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam_PoE
Should Colossus and Northstar Hook-Up?

ScarletSpider
In 616? No, I'm a supporter of he and Kitty getting it on.

In Ultimate continuity? They have introduced a Jean-Paul Baubbier, so why not?

juggernaut74
Well in the main Universe he is straight but in the Ultimate universe he is a little fruity it seems. But only speculation. Didnt Northstar hit on Colossus in one of the Ultimate x-men issues?

eleveninches
yeah. it was in the hospital, when northstar woke up to see colossus and asked if he was single

stellarX
Storm also mentioned to Angel that all the girls thought he was gorgeous...and maybe Colossus too. It's also been hinted that ol' Pete has a crush on Wolverine...and when Northstar woke up, he was the one X-man watching over him (maybe Angel and Nightcrawler mentioned his ranting about being a mutant AND being gay and sparked Colossus' interest)
I think it's great, a gentle giant coming to terms with his feelings for an obviously straight Logan and finding true love in Jean Paul's arms.

Scarpa
Hell no..........

Nathaniel Grey
I have nothing at all against the development of homosexual characters within the Marvel Universe at all. After all that's what the Marvel Universe has always been about. Diversity and change. But to alter an already established character so that their former tendencies are usurped by new ones that are clearly out of character since the time of their development is vulgar. Should Colossus display homosexual feelings for Northstar? I agree with Scarpa with a resounding HELL f*CK**G NO. That's just a plain insulting way to deal with a character that I and hundreds of others have a great deal of respect for 616 or not. Marvel needs to develop fresh characters if they want to pursue the avenues of Homosexuality and its impact on society.

Adam_PoE
This thread is not about debating the merits of Colossus being gay as he has all but been declared so in Uncanny. The topic is about whether or not he should pursue a relationship with Northstar, continue to pine after Wolverine, or choose some other course of action, etc.

TheFilmProphet
amen

pr1983
true, think about if it was wolverine or spiderman, would anyone agree with it? fact is petey's been with shadowcat, callisto and there was a hint of being interested in marrow...

when was this? seriously, i'm very curious to know what issue...

anywho...

if colossus and northstar have feelings for each other, then why not, ultimate colossus has been pining after logan for too long, let him be happy...

and btw, his belongs in the x-men forum, paola'll move it soon...

Nathaniel Grey
I was just making sure that my comments weren't viewed as though I was homophobic about the development of gays in comic books. In Uncanny? Since when? The last time I checked Astonishing X-Men he was no where near being homosexual or even implied that he desired a relationship with Wolverine or otherwise. I mean yes, coming back from the dead will do strange things to a guy but I'm sure such a drastic change didn't occur. After being with Kitty, Rogue, Callisto and possibly Marrow ( The hot one. ) I don't see him pining for Wolverine at all. Perhaps you mean Ultimate X-Men?

clickclick
But some homosexuals have lived long parts of their lives trying to be straight. Some have had wives and children. So the fact that Collosus has been with women before doesnt make this idea crazy.

However, I dont think they should have done it with that character but I also dont write for marvel so..........

Adam_PoE
* Ultimate.

stellarX
Would it reduce the amount of respect you have for Colossus if his Ultimate counterpart WERE gay?
This isn't the same Rasputin we've grown to love in the past 20-odd years on 616... wink

Nathaniel Grey
I don't really care for Ultimate X-Men to begin with. They've got decent writers and great artists. ( Especially Kubert! ) But other than that the concept has always seemed -- dumb. I mean why release a comic re-telling the story of the X-Men? It seems like a step backwards especially since they're just regurgitating the same ol' same ol'.

To tell you the truth I'm not entirely sure about that. I'd rather see Marvel develop characters that were unique and fresh who were homosexual rather than use characters that are already established ( Ie; Cyclops, Colossus, Iceman...etc. ) and make them gay. It just doesn't sit entirely too well with me. But Marvel will do what they believe is needed to relate to an audience. I mean hell while we're at it let's make Ultimate Apocalypse a hispanic youth from the barrio or Ultimate Bishop a non-english speaking Italian.

stellarX
Hey, those could work too, but the whole point (and i'm really selling out by saying this) is to cash in on the new readers who came in at the tail end of the first and second X-flicks. Each character's story is very different from their 616 counterparts, primarily the fact that they're all in their teens (with the exception of Wolverine and Gambit). So why not make the best of it and tweak a few details.
You never know, you could have a gay counterpart somewhere in this multi-verse... smokin'

Nathaniel Grey
Yeah, I realized that. And for the record I didn't enjoy the X-Men movie as much as I initially thought I would. I'm still a die hard comic fan and the theatres never captured even a bit of what I considered the X-Men to be. Selling out? Perhaps but I don't hate you for it. wink Hm, a gay counter part? I'm sure that's entirely possible. Lol.

Napalm
unlikely

Napalm
They already ruined northstar my making him a queer why scew up colossus

stellarX
sniffing our own namesake are we?

manjaro
they really should go ahead and make peter gay............seriously..........and hear me out. A big strong guy who is soft spoken and likes poetry and nature, and the exemplification of metrosexuality. his surroundings are neat, he's nicley groomed, and he goes berserk whenever anyone tries to hurt Wolverine..........and this was way before the ultimate universe came along. girlfirend was already on his way. The only thing i would object to is if they let him play the woman

Napalm
It dosent make him gay it just means hes a gentle giant

stellarX
a gentle giant who wants to give it to wolverine....softly

clickclick
blah

goku-vs-superma
RUINED, they did not ruin Northstar they changed him. 1 just because he likes other men doesnt make him a bad character.2 i mean look at his outfit we all saw it coming. wink

Maelstrom
Not all gays are queer, some are straight and see the world that way if that makes any sense to you. But by your logic that would be even more ruined i guess. It's my opinion that since you don't have any power yourself you just like trying to take it from others, especially children. Or is that not what is going on in the world and are you not a part of it.
With that said anyhow, I like the Northstar, Iceman connection that started in the X book. When Bobby finally gets wise and stops looking for reason he might see that love was standing beside him all along. bunny
You see the only thing that is truely ruined is that life that is stealing from kids and others. And that's not even why they're upset, they just hate life.

Napalm
Why cant they leave the x men characters alone None of dem need to ****

Draco69
Napalm, you big meanie! By "Colossus hooking up with Northstar", he meant ULTIMATE Colossus who was already gay to begin with. Mainstream Colossus is straight and is (kinda) with Kitty Pryde. I don't have a problem with gay characters. Marvel has always been breaking new ground. Napalm, if mutants existed, you would be standing outside the Xavier Institute waving a giant sign saying : God Hates Mutants. The plight of gays is practically synonymous with the plight of mutants, ya hypocrite.

Havoc470
ultimate colossus is gay???? wtf??

Draco69
Yeah, he had crush on Logan. He got over it. He doesn't matter if he's gay, he can still kick a$$. (poor teenage boys with insecure sexualities)

Havoc470
i never saw that happen....what issue was this in?

Napalm
No, The marvel character were straight to begin with they should be kept that way

Havoc470
whats the big deal, its just a change of sexual preference....it doesnt ruin the characters it just makes it a bit mroe interesting to some readers, thats what marvels all about

Draco69
I don't remember which issue. But there were several instances. The first one was when he returned from Russia after briefly leaving the team. He and Logan were both showering and Peter was checking him out. The other instance was when Jean read his mind and commented on his love was for someone who couldn't possible feel the same way. The "Will and Grace" comment supplemented this. The next instance was when Magneto had seemly acheived victory over the X-Men and was torturing Wolverine for his betrayal. Colossus, out of love, broke free from Magneto's magnetic field (while still in metal form) and beat Magneto to a pulp. The entire time, he was screaming "you don't do that to Wolverine" over and over again likea mantra. Another instance was when Storm was talking to Archangel, and she mentioned that all the girls and "maybe Peter" thought Warren was gorgeous. The final instance was when Northstar (the reason this thread is even up) asked Colossue if he was single. Colossus blushed in his own special way.

Havoc470
wow, i guess i missed all those issues, i remember him getting up to help wolvie but i dont remember him saying "you dont do that to wolverine" as for everything else i dont remember it either

Draco69
Yeah, so what if he's gay. I don't care. It adds some depth. A lot of people don't like having gay comic book characters. Whatever. They did the same thing when Storm and the Injun (Thunderbird) joined the X-Men. Look at them now. Well...look at Storm now.

Havoc470
lmao

i have no problem with ultimate colossus being gay, i just missed all those events

Napalm
But the creaters of the ultimiate shows just scew up everything in the comics like recently they made to that the hulk could only lift a measly firggin 18 tons and he was cannibal. The creaters of the ultimate books dont appretiate anything. Besides I dont think stan lee would be very happy about a gay x-man

pr1983
colossus is gay (in ultimate,not uncanny or astinishing), we all know that. should he be? no.

i'll put it this way, if it was wolverine or spiderman or thor would you agree? no, nobody would, thered be outrage, but they take a secondary character and mess him up. why do that? why not bring in a new gay character?

Havoc470
i dont think he'd have a problem with gay characters, he did make the raw hide kid didnt he?....what stan lee would have a problem with imo, are famous marvel characters shown punching out islamic people after 9/11....i would've liked to think we passed that sort of thing in comics, but i guess the demand for it is just too big

very good point

kimahri45k
OH FOR GODS SAKE , WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, I can't believe the reaction you x-men "FANS" have over colossus being gay, and now having a dig at Northstar for the past twenty odd years being the only out gay charater.

If anything its Marvels fault for not being broad minded enough to introduce more gay heroes, I mean... ONE GAY HERO OUT OF SEVERAL HUNDREDS, HELLO!!!.

But the real disappointment is in the so called FANS of x-men. The true theme of x-men was about people living in the modern world and having to deal every day with fascists who are unable to except them for who they are. X-Men and Mutants are more in common with the gay comminity then any other marvel title.

You can't be a fan of x-men and somehow not acknowledge the fact that its meant to be about accepting people who are different then you, otherwise your no better then a member of the Klue clux clan or a nazi.

You all need a serious wake up call as to what the gay community is in the modern world, and **** all your stereo-types. I think its great that colossus could be gay, it would give gay teenagers still in the closet who are coming to terms with their own sexuality something to look to, a positive roll model for once.

Shut your mouths and just let it be!!!

Marvelgeek

pr1983
sweet f*ck... why was this resurrected...

Originally posted by kimahri45k
OH FOR GODS SAKE , WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, I can't believe the reaction you x-men "FANS" have over colossus being gay, and now having a dig at Northstar for the past twenty odd years being the only out gay charater.

If anything its Marvels fault for not being broad minded enough to introduce more gay heroes, I mean... ONE GAY HERO OUT OF SEVERAL HUNDREDS, HELLO!!!.

But the real disappointment is in the so called FANS of x-men. The true theme of x-men was about people living in the modern world and having to deal every day with fascists who are unable to except them for who they are. X-Men and Mutants are more in common with the gay comminity then any other marvel title.

You can't be a fan of x-men and somehow not acknowledge the fact that its meant to be about accepting people who are different then you, otherwise your no better then a member of the Klue clux clan or a nazi.

You all need a serious wake up call as to what the gay community is in the modern world, and **** all your stereo-types. I think its great that colossus could be gay, it would give gay teenagers still in the closet who are coming to terms with their own sexuality something to look to, a positive roll model for once.

Shut your mouths and just let it be!!!

you are missing the point completely...

we dont care whether they bring in 1 or 50 gay heroes... it really doesnt matter, hell, make a gay superhero team and i wouldnt mind...

but changing a character thats over what, 30, 40 years old? thats the problem...

i just dont see why they couldnt introduce a new character who happened to be gay...

xmarksthespot
The Ultimate characters are technically new characters, or at least new takes on characters.
Frankly Colossus' character hasn't really changed very much, his sexuality may have changed, his personality is pretty much exactly the same.
Shadowcat has changed more in Ultimate than Colossus, she's a bit of a retard. She used to be a bit of a kid genius in computers and electronics, now she can't even hack an email account. I mean she's become... Jubileeish. sick
Beast is dead for god sakes.

As for those who read X-Men, a comic about a persecuted minority, and are outraged because he's gay. Just think about the irony.

Now to the actual question of the thread. Dunno about Northstar, he was a bit of a dick when they first approached him. Maybe... but I'd say C can do better. big grin

pr1983
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The Ultimate characters are technically new characters, or at least new takes on characters.
Frankly Colossus' character hasn't really changed very much, his sexuality may have changed, his personality is pretty much exactly the same.
Shadowcat has changed more in Ultimate than Colossus, she's a bit of a retard. She used to be a bit of a kid genius in computers and electronics, now she can't even hack an email account. I mean she's become... Jubileeish. sick
Beast is dead for god sakes.

As for those who read X-Men, a comic about a persecuted minority, and are outraged because he's gay. Just think about the irony.

Now to the actual question of the thread. Dunno about Northstar, he was a bit of a dick when they first approached him. Maybe... but I'd say C can do better. big grin

It would claim to be new, yet alot of the characters all share traits with their normal universe counterparts...

i just object to a character being changed at a fundamental level (sexuality), when its been established that the reverse is true...

i dont really think its ironic at all... ive been reading xmen for a long time, this isnt about colossus being gay as it is about the fact that marvel is trying to be too pc...

kimahri45k
Actully I do agree that Colossus can do better then Northstar, I mean its great having out gay x-men and all, but Northstar doesn't strike me as being Colossus's type, just cause he's the only other out gay mutant in the ultimate x-world.

Still, Peter's desire for Logan is understandable, I confess to having a similer desire of the hairy little canadian myself, perhaps a new x-man who's more openly gay then Peter would be great for his morale, help bring him out more. big grin

Lets hope Mark Miller will be as generous with Colossus as he has been with Apollo and Midnighter.

kimahri45k
Just to make a point to PR1983, you talk about not changing a characters sexuality that has been known as straight for the past 30-40 years, Well I know men who have had to live a straight lifestyle for a similer length of time, even some were married and had kids before they came out, it does happen.

The point of ultimate x-men was that marvel writers could change the characters round slightly, and something tells me you wouldn't object to it if Jean Grey or Storm came out as lesbian, the matter wouldn't raise any objection there, now would it!

Be it forwardly offensive of trying to find a systematic way of saying why Colossus shouldn't be gay, its all the same thing if its against a gay character.

Or maybe this is all because since in the normal line of marvel comics, the writer decided to kill off there Colossus, and the ultimate Colossus was the one left to turn to... yet you find it hard to accept the idea of one of your favourte x-men being something you can't accept yourself.

Don't you notice the reflection mutants have to the gay community?

vaya_the_elf
I say no way.

Kitty and Peter are much better. They should be back together.

pr1983
Just to make a point to PR1983, you talk about not changing a characters sexuality that has been known as straight for the past 30-40 years, Well I know men who have had to live a straight lifestyle for a similer length of time, even some were married and had kids before they came out, it does happen.

i know... im not disputing that at all... but nobody forced colossus, the whole theme of x-men is the acceptance of diversity... i doubt he'd have had to worry about it...

it would with me... but thats just me...

i dont think so at all...

colossus is alive... and what? your assuming im afraid of my own sexuality?

of course i do... i just dont see why they changed colossus instead of bringing in a new character all together... thats all ive been saying...

vaya_the_elf
Personally I think the Ulimate suck anyways.

Tela
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
I say no way.

Kitty and Peter are much better. They should be back together.

Although I absolutely despise Kitty in all forms, I have to agree. Kitty and Piotr are better for each other. I am all for the gay community and all, but you should keep a character the sexual orientation you made them, unless of course they're bisexual. But Piotr was not. And for those who will say that I am racist against gays you should look up my favorite actor. He is bi. I have no problems with a persons color or sexual prientation. It's the personality and heart that matters.

bilb

The point of ultimate x-men was that marvel writers could change the characters round slightly, and something tells me you wouldn't object to it if Jean Grey or Storm came out as lesbian, the matter wouldn't raise any objection there, now would it!

Be it forwardly offensive of trying to find a systematic way of saying why Colossus shouldn't be gay, its all the same thing if its against a gay character.

Or maybe this is all because since in the normal line of marvel comics, the writer decided to kill off there Colossus, and the ultimate Colossus was the one left to turn to... yet you find it hard to accept the idea of one of your favourte x-men being something you can't accept yourself.

Don't you notice the reflection mutants have to the gay community?

Sounds like this one hit a littel to close to home for SOMEONE.... Oh and just judging by your join date.. perhaps you should sit back & observe for a while before making blanket and FALSE accusations.. especially against someone as well versed in XMEN as PR... you might just learn a thing or two if you'd get off your PC high horse...

manjaro
you ppl do know that this thread was bred and died last year right?

first of all northstar is gay in all the x univereses not just ultimates..i know they're trying to prove a point by making a big super strong sterotypical ideal male gay, but that should remain in te ultimate universe.. the only thing i depsie about piotr is that he acts like kitty is the only vagina in existence, thats why i said LAST YEAR, that they may as well bcuz i find lots of stuff wrong with a guy who can move mountains who doesant like to fight and wanna read his sily poems to evry body, thats fagaroony territory to begin with

kimahri45k
Get off my pc high horse... you think because I've joined this debate and my file says junior that I'm younger then any of you... I've been an x-men fan for nearly twenty years mate, and an out gay man for ten, so I think I'm well versed enough in this!

And maybe you should consider that the only reason I've joined now is to throw in the view of someone who can tell you a few things about being gay and the reflections that are posed in x-men.

My argument is on why so any x-men fans fail to find a similarity between the x-men universe and what homophobia there is in the gay community.

Don't even think that I'm a minor somehow because I decided to join the debate now!
And if you think my accusations are falsh, maybe you should read through the forum... if someone doesn't speak up then things won't change.

pr1983
And maybe you should consider that the only reason I've joined now is to throw in the view of someone who can tell you a few things about being gay and the reflections that are posed in x-men.

My argument is on why so any x-men fans fail to find a similarity between the x-men universe and what homophobia there is in the gay community.

I am not nor have i ever been oblivious to the parallels between the x-men and the society in which we live today... in fact its the reason i keep reading it...

Originally posted by manjaro
you ppl do know that this thread was bred and died last year right?

first of all northstar is gay in all the x univereses not just ultimates..i know they're trying to prove a point by making a big super strong sterotypical ideal male gay, but that should remain in te ultimate universe.. the only thing i depsie about piotr is that he acts like kitty is the only vagina in existence, thats why i said LAST YEAR, that they may as well bcuz i find lots of stuff wrong with a guy who can move mountains who doesant like to fight and wanna read his sily poems to evry body, thats fagaroony territory to begin with

yes, but somebody reignited it...

and being a nice guy doesnt automatically make you gay... because then the woman in my life wouldnt be impressed...

bilb
Get off my pc high horse... you think because I've joined this debate and my file says junior that I'm younger then any of you... I've been an x-men fan for nearly twenty years mate, and an out gay man for ten, so I think I'm well versed enough in this!

Don't even think that I'm a minor somehow because I decided to join the debate now!
And if you think my accusations are falsh, maybe you should read through the forum... if someone doesn't speak up then things won't change.

woah, calm down there hoss...

I never said you were younger than anyone, only that you are a newb.. yeah I said it.... NEWB.. your join date says so, deal with it

and well versed or not your 'opinion' of other members is not only inaccurate its down right OFFENSIVE..... i take it you feel you have been opressed or treated badly in some way because of your orientation? well guess what? pot meet kettle.. you did the EXACT same thing when you attacked PR.. if ya cant handle the replies I suggest you refrain from posting

And if you want 'things to change' perhaps a comic book message forum isnt exactly the right place to start...

noone here is blasting homosexuality as a lifestyle/orientation so knock that chip of your shoulder and debate the issue at hand would ya?

kimahri45k
O.k then... so what is the issue at hand, I thought is was a forum about long term characters coming out as gay in another format... I've sat and read what everyone has said about it... and some people views seemed slightly against the issue of a gay character appearing in a comic book series... or more precis, a character coming out of the closet.

Isn't that what this forum is about... because the issue of Northstar and Colossus coming together is what it says, yet this had been thrown aside and opened a debate about how x-fans dislike or partly agree on if Colossus should or shouldn't be gay.

And Manjaro (despite the fagaroony remark) had a good point, this is the ultimate universe, if they want to make Colossus gay it has no change to him in the other marvel universe.

And I can handle anything thrown at me Bilb, maybe I stepped over the mark against PR, but you seem to want to carry this on, and shouting NEWB because I joined debate later doesn't mean I don't know what its about.

PR, you raised a point, being a nice guy doesn't make you gay, anymore then being a hard man makes you straight, Apollo and Midnighter again.
If Colossus is gay, he'd be the perfect roll model for any young guys dealing with their sexuality... Mark Miller is the man who brought the worlds first gay hero couple after all.

bilb

And I can handle anything thrown at me Bilb, maybe I stepped over the mark against PR, but you seem to want to carry this on, and shouting NEWB because I joined debate later doesn't mean I don't know what its about.

Thats all you had to say dude.. you just dont come in here & trash talk folks without repercussions, not with me anyway. I happen to get the term LOYALTY and take it seriously.. you dont f*ck with one of my friends & just go about your merry way.. I could care less about your opionions on XMEN,, they are just that YOUR OPINIONS.. I just refuse to stand by & let someone I care about get slammed is all..

So long as you dont step over THAT line again, then as far as I am concerned its dropped

pr1983
O.k then... so what is the issue at hand, I thought is was a forum about long term characters coming out as gay in another format... I've sat and read what everyone has said about it... and some people views seemed slightly against the issue of a gay character appearing in a comic book series... or more precis, a character coming out of the closet.

i have no problem with characters being gay... apollo, northstar, i think diversity is great...

the problem i have is that, the way i see it... marvel is only trying to be more pc... would they have made wolverine, storm or even cyclops gay? i sincerely doubt it...

so they pick colossus, a character who's been in and out of x-men for years...

from what ive seen since colossus joined x-men all those years ago, there was no hint that he was gay, his obsession with kitty pryde an indication of that...

i used to read ultimate x-men, i still do, just not as regularly as before, and if marvel make colossus gay then so be it, but i fear its for the wrong reasons...

being gay as a plot device or a way to develop characters seems to be rather cheap imo... they make him gay, hint at it every once in a while and they call it character development...

true, the conversation has been misguided, but a "should marvel characters be gay" debate would have gone to hell rather quickly, because there are those who would rather no gay characters in comics...

Yet he's still colossus... big and russian and living in poverty... paints, is the most loyal and selfless member of the team... the only difference between him and normal universe colossus is his sexuality... if there were several differences i wouldnt mind, but they just make one?

bilb
Originally posted by pr1983

being gay as a plot device or a way to develop characters seems to be rather cheap imo... they make him gay, hint at it every once in a while and they call it character development...

indeed...

kimahri45k
"the only difference between him and normal universe colossus is his sexuality... "

So what your saying then is you do acknowledge that Colossus is gay, even though you find it hard to digest.

pr1983
"the only difference between him and normal universe colossus is his sexuality... "

So what your saying then is you do acknowledge that Colossus is gay, even though you find it hard to digest.

Of course (in ultimate x-men), it's pretty obvious to anyone who can read between the lines...

kimahri45k
Well why is it so hard to except, why does it bother you so much if he is... like other's have said, doesn't it make for an intresting story?

pr1983
Well why is it so hard to except, why does it bother you so much if he is... like other's have said, doesn't it make for an intresting story?

It hasnt made anything more interesting... it hasnt been a focus of any plot ive read so far (if there has been one then i apologise), its just in the background... marvel suggests it but so far hasnt come out and blatantly said it (as far as i know)...

Look... all im saying is... if marvel really wanted to break new ground and make such a big change to a character, why not wolverine? or spiderman? or captain america? or thor?

kimahri45k
Don't know what happened to thor in ultimates, captain america doesn't sleep with anyone (when's the last you'd hear of him in bed with someone) Spiderman is probably married to Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy (I don't bother with Ultimate Spiderman)... And Wolverine, if he was going to sleep with guys, he's probably be Bisexual cause he really sleeps around.

Lets put it this way.
If you were a fan of alpha flight back when before Northstar came out, would you have believed rumors spread.

I think the reason why Mark Miller wanted to make Colossus gay in the ultimate universe is because he isn't a mainstream hero like Cap or Wolverine, its easier to work a story around that fact...
Lets put it another way, what if in the ultimate universe instead of being male, Colossus or another x-men was now female.

And is it a big change like you say, does it change his character any... no, he's still Colossus, regardless if he wants wolverine or not.

pr1983
Originally posted by kimahri45k Don't know what happened to thor in ultimates, captain america doesn't sleep with anyone (when's the last you'd hear of him in bed with someone) Spiderman is probably married to Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy (I don't bother with Ultimate Spiderman)... And Wolverine, if he was going to sleep with guys, he's probably be Bisexual cause he really sleeps around.

Yet colossus has been with kitty pryde, it was hinted he and marrow could get together, he almost did with rogue, callisto too... and in astonishing x-men he's all but back with kitty...

I honestly dont know... because i dont know whether he was originally intended to be gay or not...

but they simply dont have the guts to do it with a major character due to the amount of flak they'd get...

and to my knowledge they still havent focused on it properly...

and the gender thing would suck...

but not the colossus ive known and read about for the past 15 years... he is different... my point was that people say that these characters change so much so something like sexuality can change... i disagree... they are too alike to have that changed... just imo...

kimahri45k
Exacly... you agree they are different, the fact is that the ultimate universe is different.
Its not a new chapter in the x-men universe, its not some side step in a reality altering event, its a whole new universe, allowing the marvel writers to do with the charaters as they like, giving them the chance to make changes that make sense to them.

If Mark Miller has decided to change charatcers, even their sexuality, who are we to tell them their wrong in their ideas... I personally hated that they killed the Beast in it, but I still like the ultimate universe.

pr1983
Exacly... you agree they are different, the fact is that the ultimate universe is different.
Its not a new chapter in the x-men universe, its not some side step in a reality altering event, its a whole new universe, allowing the marvel writers to do with the charaters as they like, giving them the chance to make changes that make sense to them.

If Mark Miller has decided to change charatcers, even their sexuality, who are we to tell them their wrong in their ideas... I personally hated that they killed the Beast in it, but I still like the ultimate universe.

but thats what im saying... look at the characters... cyclops is with jean, he and logan hate each other... colossus is the exact same bar his sexuality...

if they had completely changed him and made him gay, i would not have had a problem with it, but it seems the only thing they did change was his sexuality...

Cosmic Flame
There are differences in the personalities of the others, though. Let's not forget the Cyclops left the X-Men, and that when he returned after being left to die, he blasted the hell out of Wolverine. Jean and Xavier are much less averse to using TP in less than noble ways. Be they slight differences or huge, they are differences. That's why Colossus sexuality doesn't bother me much.

This also raises the issue of expectations that people have that are based on what they assume is true. For example, for some reason unbeknownst to me, people often assume that I'm hetero when they first meet me. I've been at my current job for about 6 weeks, and people still assume that I'm straight. I haven't done anything to encourage that thinking, other than saying that I liked someone's hair one day.

My point is that what we come to see and love has more to do with us than the other party. Is it so difficult to believe that Colossus in 616 could turn out to be homosexual? I don't think so. It happens every day. People stop living out others expectations of them and start living life as who they are. I had a professor tell me that he's homosexual, but that he didn't realize it until he was older. He's still married, incidentally, and everyone, including his wife, knows that he's gay.

Besides, if people can accept Scott and Jean growing apart and their relationship failing, why is it so difficult to believe that someone could decide that they are attracted to people of the same sex?

It'll be a very long time before Marvel has a homosexual flagship character. Can you imagine a gay Cap? It'd be the kiss of death for the House of Ideas with the power that "Christian" conservatives wield in the US now.

kimahri45k
Sorry, what, "if they had completely changed him and made him gay"...
how would you have Colossus act in ultimates then, like a flamboyent gay man worrying about his waistline each day.

Thank you Cosmic flame for putting your's forward, its like I say, you can't judge a person on there sexuality at all based on how they act.
And you're right about the conservative view held these days, it seems to affect the minds of some many people.

pr1983
Originally posted by Cosmic Flame
There are differences in the personalities of the others, though. Let's not forget the Cyclops left the X-Men, and that when he returned after being left to die, he blasted the hell out of Wolverine. Jean and Xavier are much less averse to using TP in less than noble ways. Be they slight differences or huge, they are differences. That's why Colossus sexuality doesn't bother me much.

Cyclops and Logan have always hated each other... but Cyke is barely 16 so you'd expect him to be less reserved than normal...

Colossus doesnt live out expectations that anyone sets, he never has... he lives in possibly the most accepting family in all of marvel... he's a mutant, i don't think being gay would trouble anyone in that house...

I do not nor have i ever believed a person chooses to be gay, they either are or there arent...

Colossus has been around for what, 40 years? Not once have they even hinted that he may be gay...

My point exactly... Colossus is imo Marvels attempt to be PC without rocking the boat... make a minor character gay and you please everyone...

how would you have Colossus act in ultimates then, like a flamboyent gay man worrying about his waistline each day.

You took that the wrong way entirely... and you know thats not what i meant...

i am not nor have i ever been a conservative... and i am insulted you'd make such a broad statement...

Tell me this... if your favourite character happened to be gay from his inception, how would you feel if they turned around and made him straight one day?

bilb
Originally posted by pr1983

Tell me this... if your favourite character happened to be gay from his inception, how would you feel if they turned around and made him straight one day?

oohh good point

and besides the reason these comics have been around for so long is the fans devotion. is it too much to ask that they respect that?

long pig
It doesn't matter if he's gay or not.

Personally, it'd be too weird for me, pretty disgusting.

kimahri45k
"My point exactly... Colossus is imo Marvels attempt to be PC without rocking the boat... make a minor character gay and you please everyone..."

Actully you don't please everyone, just you... A gay character in a major roll has more significance to people like myself, rather then throwing them to the back.

I made a point eariler that the ultimate universe lets marvel writers do what they like with the characters, change them around... If you noticed in an earlier ultimate x-men book, Nick Fury, long time in the marvel universe as being a white guy, in the ultimate universe is now Black.
Doesn't it drop something there, if they can make Nick Fury black, its just as well making a character gay.

Can you honestly say you know this Colossus's sexual preferance in the ultimate universe? Can you?

And lets just say that I wouldn't kick up a fuse about if they turned a long tiem gay character straight in another format, I.E if they turned northstar straight in the ultimate universe, he'd still be gay in the reguler run of marvel.

Again, Nick Fury... white to black, Colossus... straight to gay.

GreatMuta
You guys ever notice Colossus hand placement during those "fast ball specials" ....No wonder he's always calling for them!

Colossus: Hey logan let's get that cat outta the tree
Logan: alright, i'll get the ladder
Colossus: NO..... there's not enough time, we need a fastball special
Logan: oh great here we go again!

pr1983
Actully you don't please everyone, just you... A gay character in a major roll has more significance to people like myself, rather then throwing them to the back.

I was talking about appeasement... i didnt mean overjoyed... but just enough to fob off those who would protest... erm

Good point... but to me thats not much of a change... it really isnt... and im an slj fan too so maybe im biased...

Pretty much... if he turned out to be straight i'd be pretty surprised... all hints and indications so far point to him being gay and being infatuated with wolverine...

and how long before they change the normal universe version to match?

Maybe the same thing to you, but not to me...

black robb
http://www.x-mencharacters.com/images/Colossus.gifhttp://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/northstar/northstar_gallery5.jpg they make such a cute couple!

Paola
use Northstar or Colossus thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.