Most successful (most followwed) religion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
Which of these do you think were worshiped the most (as a sum of the followers per capita around the world for each year, going back 10'000 years?)

Yahweh/Jehovah
Christian Trinity
Allah
Bhudda
Egyptian Gods (amun re, osiris ...)
Greco Roman Gods (zeus, cronos, Uranus)
Hindu Gods (brama, shiva ...)
Norse Gods (odin, thor...)
Japanese gods (inzagi, inzami)
Chinese Gods
Aztec Gods
Olmec Gods
Incan Gods
Mayan Gods
Babyllonian Gods
Sumerian Gods
Hittite Gods
Persian Gods
Aboriganie Gods
Native American gods
Celtic Gods
African Gods
Other

???

Remember, the most success of the religion is determined by the sum of the following for that religion (as a %age of the worlds population) for each year in the last 10'000 years..

eleveninches
I would probably think that its the jewish god, as they are the one of todays world religions that has been around for the longest time.

Either that, or it would be the egyptian gods (7 millennia of history)

finti
well it sure aint Norse god, it is christianity without a doubt they have many followers today and forced people into beliveing in it in the past so christianity is the most followed religion as of up till today...

eleveninches
but its not the NUMBER of people that have followwed it, its the PERCENTAGE of the world throughout human history. Christianity has only been one of the largest world religions for about 1600 years, whereas judaism has existed for about 4000 years, and the egyptians had their pantheon worshipped by a world power for thousands of years as well

finti
your question was most successful(most followed) religion, I answerd the latter part

Jury
There should be "Father, the Almighty God"

Not just Christian Trinity, and Yahweh/Jehovah because not all Christians believe in the Trinity, and not all Christians also call the God as "Jehovah". Jehovah is an erroneous transliteration, I should say.

smile

finti
yeah he forgott Finti the unavoidable destiny too

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. The Jewish religion has been around for a very long time, but in terms of human population percentage, well, its often been the minority. Likewise the various other middle eastern + Greek ones listed, while lasted for thousands of years, existed in a time when the largest of cities consisted of only about 20,000 people or less, and have been gone a long time.

If a list was made, based on who had the largest percentage of believers over all, Christianity and Islam would be at the top, maybe with Hindi religion next. As really those three have had more believers it seems in the last 500 years then most other religions in the past ever had... that said I think Islam is very close to taking over Christianity.

finti
the latest number I have seen is 2.1 billion for chrisitianity and 1.3 billion for Islam

Jury
Major Religions of the World
Ranked by Number of Adherents

http://www.adherents.com/rel_pie.gif

finti
wehat doesnt come forth in this though is that the two largest seems to be dropping in numbers

Imperial_Samura
As I thought. And I meant close to. Considering the most populous nations on earth (baring India) are mainly Islamic or non Christian, and that the traditional western/Christian countries are suffering from an aging population and decreasing birth rate, meaning that Islam quite possibly over take it in the relatively near future.

The Omega

Imperial_Samura
"two largest seems to be dropping in numbers"
Quite true, there is an increasing turn to alternate/new age or Buddhist religions or that of atheism.

Jury
quite true for me also...

because it is one of biblical revelations that in later times, many will abandon Him... and the ungodly and the anti-Christs to be punished in hell eternally are as many as the sand of the sea.

Capt_Fantastic
If I understand the question, I'm gonna go for a tie between the egypitian gods and the Japanese/Chinese gods. But, I think the ultimate answer to your question would be the Egyptian gods, since that religion was around the longest of those you listed.

Jackie Malfoy
Good question.I would have to Cathloic because they are the only religon that did not break apart.Unlike the jews and the christens there are so many kinds of them.
But only one thing of Cathloics.Inleast that is what I was taught.JM

Bardock42

finti
ehhhhh catholics are chrisitans and protestants are a branch of the chrisitians that broke away from the catholics. So catholics very much did break apart during the reformation

Bardock42
exactly what I said dude, why do the atheist know more about the shit of the christians they than themselves do?

WindDancer
It's a three-way tie between Judaism, Christianity, and Muslim. Buddhism and Hinduism are in second and third.

frodo34x
Britain, for example, is an agnostic country.

eleveninches
its not the religion of the highest percentage of followers for all of the people that have ever lived, its about what one was the most followed throughout the last 5000 years.

For example, the most followed one would be the one that had the highest percentage of the world population for the most number of years.

Adam_PoE
Buddha is not worshipped by Buddhists so does Buddhism still qualify?

WindDancer
They don't necessarily have to worship Buddha. While Buddhism does not deny the existence of supernatural beings (indeed, many are discussed in Buddhist scripture), it does not ascribe power for creation, salvation or judgement to them. Like humans, they are regarded as having the power to affect worldly events, and so some Buddhist schools associate with them via ritual. Basically they are a religion.

finti
I aint exactly worshiped by the lot either......just wait and see though

Imperial_Samura
"its not the religion of the highest percentage of followers for all of the people that have ever lived, its about what one was the most followed throughout the last 5000 years."

It would still make it Christianity and Islam at the top, even though they have only really existed for the last 2000 or so years, in those years they have had more followers then any other religion ever had, even the societies that lasted thousands of years.

eleveninches
christianity was only really popular in europe and parts of africa for over 1000 years, and has only been a world religion for about 500 years

Napalm
Its probally christianity

loprida
actually Islam is increasing in numbers, christianity roughly staying the same

ushomefree
Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, with 1.9 billion members (33% of the world population).

Islam is second with little over a billion.

All other religions for the most part don't even begin to reflect such numbers!

Please note: Christians believe in the Holy Bible. The Holy Bible is the King of religious books, with just under 25,000 ORIGINAL manuscripts to compare with today's translations. They have proven to be between 98 and 99 percent accurate. Homer's Liad comes in second place with 600 ORIGINAL manuscripts, and other religious books don't even have originals any longer.

And no other religious books contain prophecy proved by secular history like the Holy Bible!

Jackie Malfoy
I would say the catlocis they stay together go to mass every sunday and is the only religon who did not break apart from the church while the christens did.
To me it makes the most sence too.JM

ushomefree
Jackie Malfoy

Are you incredibly stupid or what? Catholics are Christians!

finti
examples.

and ushomefree stop calling other members stupid

lil bitchiness
The oldest religion, still practiced today is Hinduism. The religion with the highest number of followers in Christianity, although Islam is rapidly catching up.

moviejunkie23
yea i wonder why so many people insist on saying catholics are not christians. They belive in christ and they depend on him as the cornerstone of their faith, what else would define a "christ"ian. Yes they have certain dogmas that are different than other christian sects but that does not exclude them from being belivers in jesus.

finti
catholics are christians end of discussion

Philosophicus
Budhism is not a religion, because they don't believe in a god/creator/omnipotent being - they believe in nature and the self.

debbiejo
To answer the question, I believe it started with the Sumerian's that changed to the Babylonians as the years went on this start reached into many of the religions mentioned. A book called "Two Babylons" traced it well even to the Catholic and Protestant churches with some of the same traditions and beliefs. The God of the Bibles following started off small compared to the rest, and a small group of Christians are actually following the teaching of the Bible instead of their pastor

RavenNightstar
Actually, it's Paganism! Buddhism, egyptian, celtic... They all fit under the Pagan religion! They are just branches to the Pagan tree! Therefore, over the years, the most populated (or followed) religion, is Paganism!

darkcrown
Sorry, noticed the title and wated to post my comment, I think the most followed religion is Allah. Even though there aren't many followers compaired to christianity, people are willing to commit suicide for the religions cause. What that cause is, I have no idea. no expression

moviejunkie23
.......I think the most followed religion is Allah. Even though there aren't many followers.........

roll eyes (sarcastic)

ARC Trooper 117
We're at 14% baby! stick out tongue

Wow, I never thought a Christian would say that! roll eyes (sarcastic)

peace_105
what kind of religion is Allah? Don't you mean Islam, and what do you mean people commit suicide over it? and what do you mean it's the most followed religion but it hasn't any followers?and what's the big deal about being non-religious?

RavenNightstar
Yeah, Allah is pretty big too!

lil bitchiness
Buddhism is NOT a religion in its traditional sense - its a philosophy of life.
To answer your question, the oldest major still followd religion is Hinduism, so i'll go for that.

And the fastest growing religion is Islam.

XIA
true

loprida
Originally posted by ushomefree
Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, with 1.9 billion members (33% of the world population).

Islam is second with little over a billion.

All other religions for the most part don't even begin to reflect such numbers!

Please note: Christians believe in the Holy Bible. The Holy Bible is the King of religious books, with just under 25,000 ORIGINAL manuscripts to compare with today's translations. They have proven to be between 98 and 99 percent accurate. Homer's Liad comes in second place with 600 ORIGINAL manuscripts, and other religious books don't even have originals any longer.

And no other religious books contain prophecy proved by secular history like the Holy Bible!

actually the bible has been changed so many times...and historians agree with that...seriously i'm not a liar...evidence is....why are there so many different versions of the bible and not one version that comes from the time Jesus was alive that everyone reads...the Quran has remained unchanged because every Muslim has the same arabic scripture in the Quran without not one word changed...there's no different edited versions (there is a Quran which comes from the time near Prophet Muhammad S.w.t and each word is the same as the words in the Quran today) or crap like that

HELLO ISLAM HAS THE ORIGINALS, THE BIBLE DOESN'T...JUST SO OBVIOUS...I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW DOGMATIC YOU ARE

loprida
Originally posted by moviejunkie23
.......I think the most followed religion is Allah. Even though there aren't many followers.........

roll eyes (sarcastic)

The rleigion is called Islam (shows how ignorant you are) and the last part...i think your pretty dumb

finti
and his post was a joke so maybe comprehend stuff before calling others ignorant and dumb, cause as it is actually you who came out the ignorant and dumb on here

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.